PDA

View Full Version : The Sulphate Poll

nastasska
March 17th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Thought I'd do a Poll on this:)
I do use a Sulphate Shampoo as I find the non Sulphate ones don't really clean my scalp well enough

What do you find:cheese:

Carolyn
March 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I said yes because I really don't pay much attention to whether a shampoo has sulfates in it or not. I CO most of the time but when I do use a real poo it's either a tea tree poo or a clarifying poo. I think all of those have sulfates.

talullah
March 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I prefer sulfates, yes. They clean my scalp and hair without a lot of excessive rubbing and massaging, which just causes tangling and matting in my hair.

Alaia
March 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I said sometimes.

Sometimes because I don't have to use them, I find that a little water on the non-sulphate shampoo lather up just as nicely, but I don't have any compulsion not to. Unless it is the strong sulphates, then it makes my hair fall out ;)

Dacia
March 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Yes, it's the only way to clean my scalp really well. Sometimes I need three applications in a row to finish the task, non-sulphates or CO only are a big no-no.

AJoifulNoise
March 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I use one once every 1-2 weeks to remove any buildup I might have from the -cone conditioners I use. However, I dilute the heck out of it.

Jeep Girl
March 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Nope! No sulphates here! They make me break out and it something fierce - all over! :blueeek:

Anlbe
March 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I said sometimes, because whilst things like fructise and pantane make my hair break and my scalp burn other shampoos with sulphates are fine. In particular if they've been derived from from botanical ingredients.
As this shouldn't make any difference I imagine there's something in the mainstream shampoos which sets my head of fire not the sulphates.

Daoine Sidhe
March 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I've said 'sometimes', but for me that means only onces in 3 months.
That is very time after I paid a visit to the hairsalon to trim the ends, because I want to get rid of the cones they probably used in my hair when they washed and conditioned it.

Koskaan
March 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I voted 'No', but not because I think that sulphates are the worst thing in the world. I simply don't need to put them on my hair, so why should I? I CO and I when I clarify I use baking soda. I never did a concious decision to avoid sulphates, it just kind of happened.

Lillian
March 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
'Sometimes' because I have 4 shampoos, 2 of them have SLES in them, and the other two don't have any sulphates in them. I like to alternate between them, and this is a happy balance for my hair because it gets a thorough clean every 4 days or so (which my scalp needs), with a gentle one in between.

Nightshade
March 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Nope :) My Jason Henna Hi-Lights is sulfate-free, and even at that I dilute it by half with distilled water. Still cleans enough for my scalp.

I found that when I used to use sulfate shampoos my scalp was overdried, tight, and itchy.

ShadowSwallow
March 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM
No sulphates here.

They give me a horrible case of the itchies/flakies/scalp acne and make my hair extra greasy.

Euphony
March 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
No sulphates here.

They give me a horrible case of the itchies/flakies/scalp acne and make my hair extra greasy.
I could've written this post! Fortunately my husband started listening to me that I thought his dandruff was sulfate induced and started using hair soap. He's now pleased as punch and won't go back to detergents in poo either!

MadHatter
March 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I use a sulphate shampoo. Ingredients just aren't something that I pay very much attention to anymore.

Sarahmoon
March 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I use them, once to twice a week.
I tried to go without sulphates for 2 months but it didn't clean my hair. I couldn't do halfups because the hair closer to my scalp always stayed greasy :?

Mahars
March 17th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I don't use them, but only because the natural shampoos I use don't contain them. I'm not sure why they're bad for you, but I hear they are more drying, which is what I definately DON'T need.

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Yes I do. I CWC with diluted sulfate shampoo once to twice a week. If I don't use the sulfates, I have to wash way more often.

Kirin
March 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I use sulphates, havent had a problem with them. Protein and cones are my problem, not the sulphates. I would probably use a non sulphate poo if i could find one for a dollar, which i cant. I cant justify paying 7-14 dollars on a bottle of shampoo.

AlleyKitten
March 17th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I don't. I use a sulphate-free Giovanni shampoo when I'm using shampoo, and if I need to clarify I use baking soda. SLS is too harsh for my hair, it overwashes it and makes it "squeaky" clean. I can get my hair and scalp plenty clean (sometimes too clean!) with the Giovanni, and my hair is softer.

cuddledumplin
March 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, but I dilute the shampoo, and CWC (when I don't CO).

jojo
March 18th, 2008, 02:42 AM
im a sulfate free girlie!

MerryKat
March 18th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I follow the NW routine with occasional WO soakes, so I use no products.

Meli
March 18th, 2008, 05:38 AM
No, I don't use sulphates. When I started experimenting with different washing techniques I found that it was the sulphates that made my hair brittle, breaking, frizzy and very split-prone. No wonder my hair was in such bad condition before LHC when I washed (read: destroyed) it with sulphates every second day...

vindo
March 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Thought I'd do a Poll on this:)
I do use a Sulphate Shampoo as I find the non Sulphate ones don't really clean my scalp well enough

What do you find:cheese:

I used to think the same thing but since switching to a very mild Sulfate free Shampoo my scalp has adjusted and I went from washing daily to every 3-4 days.

In Sulfate Times I washed daily because my hair was a greasy mess :(

Phalaenopsis
March 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Yes, I use them (not since long though). I do remember when I always used them that I had a flaky skin. I don't need sulphate to cleanse my hear, but you find sulphates in every cheap shampoo and that's what I'm using now. Although Elvive is not that cheap, now I'm thinking about it...

prosperina
March 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I will use the milder forms of sulfate shampoo rarely, but I'm actually scared of Ammonium Laurel Sulfate, because I think that's the strongest/harshest one. Don't know that for a fact, but before I knew any better I was using that on my hair daily, and it wrecked my hair. The only sulfate shampoo I've got at the moment is Dove. I don't notice much difference between non sulfate and mild sulfate shampoos. And there are even some natural brands of clarifying shampoo that seem stronger, yet somehow less harsh, than sulfate shampoos.

marajade
March 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Eeep. . I think I might be allergic. . Since switching, my scalp issues have come to a screeching hault!

Elfling
March 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I use TreSemme clarifying shampoo pre-henna, or if I've gotten especially dirty or used a lot of silicones for styling. Otherwise, I stick to sulfate-free shampoo.

Misso
March 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Finding an alternative around here is not that easy. So I can't even experiment to decide whether they are fine for my hair or not.
However, before I attempted dying my hair my regular S&C with a drop of EVOO on length when wet routine, was perfect for my hair.
Never suffered from dry ends.

Sorus
March 18th, 2008, 06:34 PM
The only non-sulfate options I have tried in a shampoo replacement are shampoo bars but they really didn't clean well for me. CO is great for most days but every now and then my scalp and hair thank me after a nice sulphatey wash.

ETA: I usually dilute the shampoo unless I'm trying to help some dye unstick from my hair.

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The funny thing is 8 people use cheese fondu :) LOL!!!

CaityBear
March 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I only CO now. I find that it leaves my hair much softer and it helped for winter because my hair is crazy staticy otherwise. I still have sulphate shampoo to use up so if I need to I would dilute it with my CO conditioner and/or water. But I haven't done that in months.

Poolsoflaughter
March 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I use them here and there, especially if I accumulate massive amounts of buildup.

Remke
March 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Sure, it's all fine withy me. My hair loves cones, and sls are fine too, no problemo :D

Anje
March 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I voted "sometimes" -- they're good for clarifying, but I'm happy with CO or even WO for day-to-day cleansing.

Lasiren
March 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Most of the time, yes. They're probably not the best thing, but my hair is looking good, so it doesn't really bother me.

ImperfectBrat
March 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
After months of non sulfates and no cones, my hair just refused to get clean no matter what.

So, back to the old 'poo for a week or 2 then a try back at what I think are the healthier options.

Ohio Sky
March 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Theres a surprising number of people here who only use cheese fondu :/
I said sometimes, because although I dont hate sulphates, I just want to use the most natural products possible so I steer away from chemical poos, but I do use them on occasion to clarify still.

psvzum
March 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
No sulphates here-too drying for my hair and scalp.

wintersun99
April 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
N0 - because I really think that sulphates make my scalp unbearably itchy (for some reason if I shampoo w/sulphates, i have to shampoo every single day, to avoid the itchies) but if I use shampoo w/out, I can go 2-3 days and never have an aggravated scalp.

Lixie
April 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Yep, I use sulphates. Always have, as far as I'm aware and I'm too lazy to find an alternative. I already spend too long reading the ingredients on the conditioner bottles anyway. :lol:

Flaxen
April 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
No sulfates for me. They make me shed squirrels. And, just so you know, I really wanted to vote cheese fondue. :p

rhodochrosite
April 19th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I don't use sulphates anymore. I don't feel that I need them.

zelah
April 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
I use them because I can go longer without washing. Non-sulfate shampoos have either made my hair greasier or have made it like straw, so that's where I stand right now.

Arashi
April 22nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
I voted no, as sulfates are very drying on my skin and hair, make my skin reddish, make me break out something awful, make my scalp oily within a few hours after washing, etc.

I love my sulfate(and other hair nonos)free Gothic Rosary shampoo. :D

Stagecoach
April 22nd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Nope, my scalp freaks at sulfates, so I've given them up for good. Occaionay I'll use one to clarify my length, but not often.

somethingwicked
April 24th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I have to admit to using sulphates, even after having success with CO. The thing is, for CO to work for me, it took WAY too much water to rinse clean. I just can't help but be conscious of how much water I'm letting run down the shower drain (although, with our aerobic septic, it gets cleaned and sprinkled in the pasture). Sulphates just get the job done quicker, and with less water to rinse clean.

lookingglass
April 24th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm voting "sometimes". My hair likes CO, but I do have to shampoo to clarify and clean my scalp at least once a week. However, I am switching to sulfate free (Aubry Organics Honeysuckle Rose) TONIGHT b/c my scalp has been freaking out with flakes and itchies. I currently blame sulfates and needing to henna my roots.:confused:

Lamb
April 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I use sulfates (one sulfate, actually, Sodium Laureth Sulfate) but at the rate I dilute my shampoo, I don't think it matters so much.

granitbaby
April 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I only use two sulphates; ammonium laureth sulphate and sodium laureth sulphate and now every time I wash. Ammonium laureth sulphate is my favourite one because it leaves less deposits than other ones. Unfortunately it's pretty rare to find.

lorig713
April 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
No way (not even diluted). I would do CO or WO if sulfate-free shampoo were not available.

Suldrun
May 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I stopped using my sulfate free shampoo because I got too lazy to drive to the store that has it. I got itches and flakes galore. I finally bit the bullet today and made the treck because I couldn't take it anymore. So sulfate free for me form now on:)

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I could've written this post! Fortunately my husband started listening to me that I thought his dandruff was sulfate induced and started using hair soap. He's now pleased as punch and won't go back to detergents in poo either!

What hair soap does he use? Does he wash his hair daily?

I'm currently trying to talk my husband into using something sulfate-free on his hair because I'm pretty sure his dandruff is sulfate-induced, too.

n3m3sis42
May 6th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I don't use sulfates because I don't think my hair likes them. Since I stopped using them (over a year ago), my hair has very few problems with frizz (it used to have MAJOR frizz issues), and still gets clean just fine. :D

Isilya
May 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I use sulphate-shampoo (I don't think I've ever came across a sulphate-free one). My hair doesn't mind sulphates, my scalp doesn't mind, I don't mind :)

lorig713
May 11th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I use sulphate-shampoo (I don't think I've ever came across a sulphate-free one). My hair doesn't mind sulphates, my scalp doesn't mind, I don't mind :)

I thought the same thing until I saw my sulfate/no sulfate picture (http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/lorig713/ComparisonPic20062-1.jpg).

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I said no, because I don't use shampoo very often, but when I do, I try to stay way from sulfates because they seem to dry my scalp and hair pretty badly.

flapjack
May 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I use a sulphate shampoo every couple months or so for a deep clean and that's it.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I thought the same thing until I saw my sulfate/no sulfate picture (http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/lorig713/ComparisonPic20062-1.jpg).

Hmmm... hadn't seen that before I posted the last time. Your hair is gorgeous by the way!

lorig713
May 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hmmm... hadn't seen that before I posted the last time. Your hair is gorgeous by the way!

Nynaeye, thank you very much! :)

Myrddin
May 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I used for a very long time only organic hair care and had lots of breakage. I started to use it, cause I have a very sensitive scalp. But I found out that a very diluted shampoo with a sulphates can be even milder and moisturizing for my hair.
I think it depends also on the formulation of a product not necessarily a single ingredient. I guess most drugstore brands are too harsh, but other shampoos with sulphates can also be mild.

CopperHead
May 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I agree, Myrddin. I have used non-sulfates with not so good results, and sulfates with great results. I find it does depend on the particular product. My hair stays cleaner much longer with sulfates. Back to Basics makes very gentle sulfate shampoos. I used the Jasmine one last night and it is great!:)

Myrddin
May 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for your confirmation CopperHead.

yogachic
May 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Yes, most of them I pick up have them .

Daoine Sidhe
May 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I use sulphates once a month to clearify. The rest of the times I do CO.

Lilla My
May 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I've just started using shampoo with sulphates again - was getting a flaky scalp and it seems to be getting better now (it's a tea tree shampoo as well).

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Sulfate free, for me. I just recently switched and my hair is very, very happy.

Elle
May 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
The non-sulphate shampoos don't clean my hair well either. Also, I've noticed that I get scalp build-up (which then turns into scabby things) using the non-sulphate stuff, like JASON products. :shake:

mommy2one05
May 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM

your before and after pics are an amazing difference...so much shinier and smoother looking
so what are no sulfate shampoos, are they also no cones or can you get them with cones....are they drugstore type shampoos

Dvips
May 21st, 2008, 12:41 AM
Sulfate shampoos are just shampoos that contain ingredients that generally end with the word "sulfate" (e.g sodium laureth sulfate). Non-sulfate shampoos can still contain 'cones or can be 'cone free.

In the past I hadn't noticed drugstore that are sulfate free, but now some drugstores are carrying Burt Bee's and Giovanni product that I think are sulfate free.

HTH!

akka naeda
May 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
I voted sometimes because I need a shampoo to clean my scalp. I'm not bothered whether it contains sulphates or not, but I guess it usually does as I go for the cheapest option. I use conditioner on my length though.

lorig713
May 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
your before and after pics are an amazing difference...so much shinier and smoother looking
so what are no sulfate shampoos, are they also no cones or can you get them with cones....are they drugstore type shampoos

I have to say that I went cone-free at the same time so I can't really say for sure what helped my hair most.

TheGoldenApple
May 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I voted 'No'. My scalp doesn't hate sulphates, but my hair is softer when I use a sulphate-free shampoo. And even though my hair get's greasy very fast, a sulphate-free shampoo cleans my hair just as good as a sulphate shampoo:)

Finoriel
May 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I voted for "no".
I did not have problems with sulfates - happy scalp and hair when using it diluted or full strength. At least it seemed so, until I discovered the difference between them an a sulfate-free routine.
Without them I have a very happy scalp (tons of new hair growing in, getting less greasy and probably less shedding) and my hair got better too (moisture-wise).
I will stay sulfate-free, even though they have not been obviously bad, but without them itīs actually better.

Saranne772
May 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I try not too but often I do

rubyann
May 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I said no sulfates. I've only used a very mild sulfate shampoo maybe twice this year.

epiphanee
May 31st, 2008, 07:15 AM
Nope - I don't use sulphates, they over-dry my scalp and make it itch like crazy.

I use "Little Sprout" sulphate -free shampoos and conditioners. My scalp is very happy now.

lilalong
May 31st, 2008, 07:19 AM
I voted yes, because I haven't been paying attention. Most likely, my shampoo has sulfates.

Buddaphlyy
May 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Yes. It has taken me many years to settle on a staple shampoo (it's Herbal Essences Hello Hydration) and I'll be darned if I'm going to let something as simple as a sulfate deter me from it. Other shampoos can't touch it.

tiny_teesha
June 2nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
from going on herbs for 4 months straight when i finally used shampoo it actually hurt my scalp. And dried out all my hair horrendously. EVEN a sulfate free shampoo did the same, but to a slightly lesser extent.
I guess the moral of the story is herbs are good :)

Starr
June 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Depends if I'm been to the swimming pool or not and whether or not I got my hair wet.

If not, then I don't use a sulfate shampoo.

Shermie Girl
June 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
I do use sulphates. My hair likes them and my scalp demands them. :D

Henrietta
September 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM
As a newly converted sulphate-free person I voted for "Sometimes". In a few condishes that I use there are sulphates. But low on the list and non-typical kinds, not like SLS, SLES, ALS... I don't count those, though. But still, they are there.

starlamelissa
September 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I always wash with sulphates now. But I used to use baby shampoo, and liked that alot too.

sparrowswing
September 20th, 2012, 07:51 PM
My clarifying shampoo has sulfates, and I use it once every 4-6 weeks. The rest of the time I go sulfate-free, because I find I shed almost 3 times as much when I use sulfate shampoo. I do miss the ultra-squeaky-clean feeling sulfates gave me, though.

Shepherdess
September 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I don't think I have used sulfates on my hair in over a year or two.

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 07:02 AM
I only use them when I wash out hair masks. Once every other week or so.

Bedhead
September 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I don't use products on my hair, but I remember when I did start to use a sulphate free shampoo - the truth came out; my hair wasn't as healthy as I thought! So I think maybe if I had known about clarifying or taking care of my hair, maybe sulphates do work in my hair, but if I don't need them, and they aren't benefitting my hair, I don't see the point, for my body or for the environment.

terylenerose
September 22nd, 2012, 09:02 PM
I don't use anything with sulfates or any chemical-y thing like that. I've also been struggling to be allowed not to use shampoo, and I think I've finally gotten my way in things so I'll be cutting out the soapy stuff soon. Yay!

Pumpkin
September 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Sulfates make my scalp itch...cannot use shampoo with sulfates at all!

Dark Rapunzel
September 23rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I said sometimes because I only use sulphates before a henna, which is once every month and a half or so...I don't really have a schedule.

melusine963
September 25th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Generally no, but I occasionally use an anti-dandruff shampoo that does contain sulphates.

EtherealDoll
September 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Yes. My scalp loves sulphates.

TheMechaGinger
September 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I load up on the cones so I need sulfates to keep everything balanced out

biogirl87
October 11th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I've been using sulfates for the past six months. Around winter 2011-2012 I had a six month stint of not using sulfates and my hair hated it. My scalp is fine with sulfates and doesn't seem to care if I use them or not.

morrigan*
October 12th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I vote no and sometimes, recently i started using sulphate free shampoo which cleans great, but i still have one shampoo with coco sulphate to use up.

Thinthondiel
October 12th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I voted "sometimes," because I use a sulphate shampoo for clarifying every now and then. But other than that... nope. My scalp gets dry and flaky if I use a sulphate shampoo twice in a row.

Libbylou
October 13th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I voted no, my skin has gotten to sensitive to use sulfates. It will be almost 2 years since I have used mainstream products on my skin and scalp. I know my hair hated sulfate free the first few weeks, but has accepted that this is the way it's got to be.

Hiriel
October 13th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Yes, I do. Sulphate free shampoos made my scalp gunky, flaky and icky. I have been WO, and the transition to WO was much less gunky than trying out sulphate free shampoo...

kidari
October 13th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I use them regularly although not for every wash since I alternate CO washes with regular shampooings with lots of lather and bubbles. I do think if I wash daily with regular shampoos my ends get dry but if I never use them my hair stops to look really bad: greasy scalp and crunchy dull hair with buildup.

DarkCurls
October 20th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I co-wash (so no sulfates), but I'll use sulfate shampoo every once in a while if my scalp is acting up or my hair feels lank.

owlathena
October 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
I wash my hair with diluted sulphate shampoo about once a week. The rest of the time I WO or CO. I tried going off them, but why? This is the routine that my hair likes.

lostchyld
October 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
I mostly CO, but my scalp isn't happy for more than a month or so doing that, so I'm trying to find a sulphate routine that leaves my hair and my scalp happy.

Sulphates alone strip my hair, that already ends up feeling stripped with just CO. Last weekend, I loaded up with lots of heavy conditioner and let it set for a bit and then shampooed before I rinsed that, did an ACV rinse, water rinse, and conditioned again and my hair is super soft and my scalp is happier, so I may have found my routine, I just need to fine tune it to my wash schedule.

lastnite
October 23rd, 2012, 10:14 PM
I've been sulphate free for many months, recently I tried sulphates again just because I got bored and got distracted by pretty bottles, I noticed my hair does seem to shed more after using sulphates for a couple of weeks... so it's back to castile soap for me

DollyDagger
September 4th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Im harsh sulphate free for maybe 3-4 months apart from the couple of clarifying washes with Neutrogena

Since I started CO washing and no sulphates Ive personally noticed much less shedding. Im sweeping up WAY less hairs then I used to these days.

ETA- I do use some shea moisture, loreal, yes to carrots shampoos on occasion as well..I believe some of them contain milder sulphate?

MINAKO
September 5th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks but NO thanks!! Sulphates are my no1 enemy. Avoiding shampoo like the plague altogether.

Frankenstein
September 5th, 2015, 12:23 AM
I do use sulfates because sulfate-free shampoos just do not get my scalp clean and seem to make my length dry. I tend to stick with shampoos that only contain one sulfate though; two or more used regularly and my hair heads into haystack territory.

parkmikii
September 5th, 2015, 01:38 AM
I do use a sulphate shampoo as my scalp is rather oily and my ends are dry. But I usually make sure to slather conditioner on the ends to not dry them further.

lapushka
September 5th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Yes, I am an absolute sulfate user (against my will, but that's what my hair needs). I have oily hair and SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and sulfates are the only things that work to keep it at bay.

syndel
September 5th, 2015, 04:57 AM
No sulfates for this chicky! I am blessed/cursed with a dry scalp and dry head of hair. I very rarely get oily so there's no need for the more intense cleanse that sulfates give; all they do is strip my already parched hair. I actually use shampoo bars that are loaded with oils to try and ram some moisture back into those strands. :p

I certainly used to use them way back in the day before I knew what sulfates were or cared about my hair health, and I'm pretty sure they're one of the main reasons my hair was in such awful condition. I went cold turkey on sulfates and silicone one day and noticed a dramatic improvement within a few weeks, so I'll never go back. :)

Sparklecake
September 5th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I use sulphates mainly because I'm trying to fade out some stubborn permanent dye and they really help strip the colour. Once I run out of my huge bottle of Tresseme though I do plan in trying out a sulphate free shampoo.

excentricat
September 5th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I picked sometimes. Sulfate free doesn't get my scalp clean enough without a lot more rubbing than I want to do. Sulfates every wash are drying and cause flakes. I switch back and forth every wash and then I have happy hair and scalp.

Groovy Granny
September 5th, 2015, 06:45 PM
I do because I need the cleaning/clarifying ......and they have cones for slip.
Non Sulphate/cone shampoos just didn't cut it for my hair

emilynella
September 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I haven't jumped on the non sulphate wagon yet but the more I read on this forum the more I lean towards going in that direction.. A couple of my shampoos now are sulphate already.

Johannah
September 6th, 2015, 12:30 PM
I do. I get build-up too fast if I don't.

yahirwaO.o
September 6th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I do, but lower and gentle sulfates work the best!!!!