PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Only Wash

BlndeInDisguise
August 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I've started only washing the "top" of my hair (scalp, whatever) except once a week I'll actually take my hair down and wash the back of my head as well. I never actually put shampoo on my ends, but I do let it run through my ends.

I love doing this--it's way faster since I don't have to use conditioner, and my hair is so soft and shiny by the end of the week.

The problem is, is that I shed waaay more when I do the scalp-only wash. :( I still take my hair down and comb it out just as often as I did before I started the scalp-only wash, so that's not the reason

Anybody else have this problem, or have any suggestions?

Fia
August 16th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I've seen the same when I did scalp washes in the past (when my hair was still long). Nothing to really worry about - it's just the hairs that were about to shed that come lose from your fingers moving the hair about as you work shampoo into the scalp. I personally found that using a detangler on the hair to at least BSL (more often down towards waist) helped with combing out and getting them out after a scalp wash.

My conclusion after a while of observing shedding both for scalp and full washes was that you actually shed just as many hairs when you do a full wash - just that they are more easily rinsed out of the hair and fall down on the floor of the tub/shower and don't stay in the hair like they do with a scalp wash and get combed out afterwards.

If your hair likes it and can take it I personally found a good BBB brushing before full or scalp washes helped get many of these hairs out beforehand so you have less of them to comb out when detangling.

BlndeInDisguise
August 16th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I've seen the same when I did scalp washes in the past (when my hair was still long). Nothing to really worry about - it's just the hairs that were about to shed that come lose from your fingers moving the hair about as you work shampoo into the scalp. I personally found that using a detangler on the hair to at least BSL (more often down towards waist) helped with combing out and getting them out after a scalp wash.

My conclusion after a while of observing shedding both for scalp and full washes was that you actually shed just as many hairs when you do a full wash - just that they are more easily rinsed out of the hair and fall down on the floor of the tub/shower and don't stay in the hair like they do with a scalp wash and get combed out afterwards.

If your hair likes it and can take it I personally found a good BBB brushing before full or scalp washes helped get many of these hairs out beforehand so you have less of them to comb out when detangling.

I never thought about the the hairs would be "stuck" in there since I have my hair up in a bun. Wow, I didn't know I lost that much hair. It's kind of depressing. :p

I definitely don't need the detangler. My hair really doesn't have many tangles in it at all when I take my bun down afterwards--and it just gets better through the week. :)

I use do a horn comb afterwards to help spread the oils that are still at the back of my head that I couldn't get since my bun is in the way, but I've been thinking I should get a BBB.

soleluna
August 17th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Interesting thread. I have a question: how do you keep the rest of your hair out of the way when you do scalp only washes? what's the technique?

BlndeInDisguise
August 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Interesting thread. I have a question: how do you keep the rest of your hair out of the way when you do scalp only washes? what's the technique?

This is how *I* do it. I have my hair up in a cinnamon bun or whatever it's called, and I take a plastic grocery bag (this is only because I don't have a shower cap :D)--it looks quite charming :p--and tie it over my bun. Then I shampoo the scalp part of my hair and when I rinse I sort of tip my head forward and to the side so that not so much water gets into my bun.

It'll still get wet down to the nape of your neck or so, but it's not bad.

Angellen
August 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I will have to try that at some point. My hair is getting to the point where it would be beneficial to just tie back the length (as I only do scalp washes anyway). I usually just wet the length and rinse as normal.

soleluna
August 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
This is how *I* do it. I have my hair up in a cinnamon bun or whatever it's called, and I take a plastic grocery bag (this is only because I don't have a shower cap :D)--it looks quite charming :p--and tie it over my bun. Then I shampoo the scalp part of my hair and when I rinse I sort of tip my head forward and to the side so that not so much water gets into my bun.

It'll still get wet down to the nape of your neck or so, but it's not bad.

do you wash with your head upside down?

BlndeInDisguise
August 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM
do you wash with your head upside down?

No, I do it in the shower and mostly tip my head to the side and rinse one side at a time. I tip it forward just a little bit to discourage the water from running down "into" my bun.

soleluna
August 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Thank you! :flower:

allege
August 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I love scalp only washes. It does tend to seem like you have lost more hair when you finally take it down to comb but that is only because the shed hair that would have washed down the drain (and clogged it) while doing a standard wash was still safely tucked into dry lenght.

How I do it. I braid my hair, but a plastic bag around the lenght and secure an elastic around it. Then I tuck the lenght into my bra strap. I fill a large pot up with just warm water I keep this on the counter beside me. I wet my scalp, apply a little bit of shampoo, work that in, rinse by dipping a cup into the pot of water. If my hair needs it I will apply a little more shampoo and wash again. Then I follow up with condition. This method has been working well for me for about a year now. I will only wash my full head about once a month. I am seriously loving this method. Its a little ackward getting use to not washing your hair in the shower when you wash your body, but I think this works out much better.