View Full Version : Using tags to get around short search phrases

icydove
March 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I thought we could make a list of short search phrases we want to work in the search engine and what longer tag we could use to mark these threads. I can think of two. Any other suggestions?

Term = tag
CO = conditioner-only
oil = oils

Dianyla
March 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I thought we could make a list of short search phrases we want to work in the search engine and what longer tag we could use to mark these threads. I can think of two. Any other suggestions?

Term = tag
CO = conditioner-only
oil = oils
FYI - we have the ability to exceptions into the search utility for words/acronyms that are 3 or fewer letters. So if you can come up with a list of these I can go add them in.

ETA: Though I still agree that tags are great and you should use them. I was just thinking of this as a supplemental thing.

icydove
March 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
That's great about the exceptions. I still haven't thought of any others yet. Maybe the other washing abbreviations like CWC, WO?

Rae~
March 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The washing ones would be great if they could be added - CO, even? (Yes you'd get lots of results to wade through, but at least it would be searchable...)

SMT

... uhhh, I know there are more.... I'll have to think harder....

snowbear
March 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I just use an asterisk, and it works for shorter-than-allowed words. It's a great idea to use the tags, though!

PatGear
March 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I just use an asterisk, and it works for shorter-than-allowed words.It does now? I believe it didn't in the old LHC. For example, if I did a search for CWC*, it would bring up CWC's or CWCer and other words longer than 3 letters with CWC in it, but not CWC itself.

Right now it works, but is it because a helpful mod/admin has made CWC an exception or does it work for all 3-letter words now?

snowbear
March 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
It does now? I believe it didn't in the old LHC. For example, if I did a search for CWC*, it would bring up CWC's or CWCer and other words longer than 3 letters with CWC in it, but not CWC itself.

Right now it works, but is it because a helpful mod/admin has made CWC an exception or does it work for all 3-letter words now?
Good gracious, I have no idea! I could just be admin magic!

Teacherbear
March 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I never was able to get the asterick thingy to work. :brickwall :writer: I tried it various times and it didn't work.

Other words to add

EO -essential oil
EOs - essential oils

icydove
March 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I discovered another one today...bun!

physicschick
March 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Tea, perhaps?