PDA

View Full Version : At what age did you get interested in long hair?

fanovlonghr
August 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Welcome!

I'm a new guy here.

I actually have short hair, but during my early teens became interested in long hair when a friend of mothers had it long and mother used to encourage me to appreciate how lovely it was and compliment her on it.

LaurelSpring
August 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
When I was a very little girl my Mom had cut my hair very short. I use to take pillow cases and towels (whatever I could find)and pin them to my head nun style to pretend that I had really long hair. I went around everywhere with these things pinned to my head...lol

A psychic oonce told me I was a nun in a past life so maybe that did have something to do with it :eek:

burns_erin
August 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I think I have always been interested in long hair, not always interested in having it though. My family is definitely a long hair family so it just seemed normal and natural to me.

Arctic
August 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Few years ago :)

Just_Isabel
August 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM
When I was a very little girl my Mom had cut my hair very short. I use to take pillow cases and towels (whatever I could find)and pin them to my head nun style to pretend that I had really long hair. I went around everywhere with these things pinned to my head...lol

:rollin: That's really funny!

I've always liked long hair, especially after getting the Little Mermaid video. http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/haraldette/smilies/hehe.gif But hair that long would have been a major PITA for me. I usually wore it between shoulder and BSL.

Merkaba
August 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I've always been interested, but figured it was beyond my reach. I just started toying with the idea of long, HEALTHY hair in June. Since I found this site & naturallycurly.com, my hair texture and look has improved immensely, and I believe it is possible for me to grow long hair now!

However, looking back I've always thought long hair was sexy (to a point) when I saw it in movies/TV/ real life.

ladystar
August 15th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I use to take pillow cases and towels (whatever I could find)and pin them to my head nun style to pretend that I had really long hair.

I use to do the same things with my towels lol.

I have always loved and been interested in long hair! I just went threw changes in my life that made me cut! I think now is the point were I am not turing back and letting it grow long mainly because I have LHC for support!

Eboshi
August 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Welcome!

I'm a new guy here.

I actually have short hair, but during my early teens became interested in long hair when a friend of mothers had it long and mother used to encourage me to appreciate how lovely it was and compliment her on it.
Are you interested in growing your own hair out ? What is your interest in long hair ?

sexyjacksparrow
August 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I think I got interested in it when I started school (so age 5). My mum always kept my hair short before that and I think if she had her way it would have been short forever. But all the other girls had long pig tails at school and I wanted them too. So after much nagging on my part she let me grow it - but only ever to shoulder length. So I think I've had a desire ever since to go longer than that. It's still never got much past shoulder though as I've always ended up cutting at that length.

Islandgrrl
August 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I can't remember ever not wanting long hair.

Karmal
August 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I can't remember ever not wanting long hair either. But my hair never cooperated. I decided to try for healthy hair, and thats how I discovered LHC. I found out since that I can have both, take care of it and it will grow. Nice, huh?! :)

taliarose
August 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I had longish hair when I was little and that got cut off due to lice in about second grade. After that I didn't really care what lenght it was. The summer after I finished freshmen year highschool I cut it about mid-ear lenght. Discovered the hard way that I'm not ment for short hair. Have been growing it ever since. I'll either stop growing it when I finally think it's long enough, it's too hard to manage by myself, or it goes terminal on me....

I second that. How long would you like yours??;)

Blueglass
August 15th, 2008, 11:36 AM
When did having a right arm become appealing? It's supposed to be there.

Tap Dancer
August 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
When I was about 9 years old. Up until then, my hair had always been short. I prefer "longish" hair to long hair, though. From just below shoulder length to a little longer than BSL is my preference.

Tabitha
August 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Welcome!

Erm, I hate to be picky, but since you're the newbie, isn't it for US to be welcoming YOU?

Why does your comment make me feel like an animal in a zoo? "Hey son, come and look at all the pretty long-hairs!":hmm:

AshleyP
August 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I've always been intrested. I had long hair as a child, around 5 years old my hair was tailbone length. My mom kept it there for many years until I let my aunt cut it at around 8, but it was only to bra strap length, so not super short :rolleyes:. I grew it to about waist length after that and kept it until I was 13. That's when my older sister came to visit and she had her hair bleached blonde by using Sun In. She took me to WalMart, bought me some and my hair has just never been the same. LOL. I got insanely addicted to coloring, which resulted in a lot of shorter hair cuts from bleaching repeatedly to look like Christina Aguilera. Which I did acheive a few times. Other times, I just acheived pumpkin colored hair. I never gave up that strong desire for long hair though. I thought I could get it super white blonde and grow it really long. :o Silly me.

MonicaJean
August 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I've wanted long hair since I was very little, though there were a few times throughout life that I have desired and tried shorter styles. This is the first time I have actually achieved my most desired hair though! Longer than BSL, and still getting longer and healthier than before. :)

flapjack
August 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
There is a photo of me holding my newborn brother (so I was 3.5 years old) with hair that was visibly stuck into the back of my skirt. So I've had long hair for a long time. I've never wanted short hair on myself, honestly. I can't see myself ever wanting hair above my shoulders.

Nyghtingale
August 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
i've had long hair off and on since childhood. this is the happiest i have been with it though

Alun
August 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hmmm... I wonder why this person is banned?

Oh, well, the thread seems harmless enough. Perhaps when I was 8, because of the Beatles. OTOH, I was probably about 15 when I first started to grow it out.

Just_Isabel
August 16th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hmmm... I wonder why this person is banned?

He asked (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10427) for his account to be deleted.

winter_star
August 16th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Iv'e always loved long hair. It used to be really longer when I was younger, although I never really appreciated it until my mum cut it about shoulder length. I used to tie a silk scarf around my ponytail and pretend I had really long hair. I'm growing it really long again. I'll never look back.

kowlrea
August 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
only last year ...

Tangles
August 16th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Only when I didn't have long hair anymore. Typical of me, I don't appreciate things until I lose them!

blondecat
August 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
When I was a 3 or 4 yr old.

I Never cut dolly's hair, I 'Styled' It lol [and pinched my much older sister's make-up and made them up too <<grining>>

Saranne772
August 17th, 2008, 02:03 AM
From a young age. I always loved long hair. And my hair grew quikly. There were always older people cooing over my hair as a child

egryphon
August 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I was a swimmer when I was a kid and keeping my hair short was just one of the things I did. My mom had said that when I was able to care for my hair that I could grow it out. So maybe 7th grade I started letting it grow.
My grandmother showed me her hair that she had cut when my father was born. It was like three feet long, so thick and a lovely honey shade of blond. Before she died she gave me the hair which I still have. I guess her hair was he inspiration for me to grow my hair out.
It reach almost waist length when I was around 17. Over the years I have kept it around shoulder blade length. It health was not good. It had become thin and ragged.
I never really know proper care o my hair until I discover LHC. So now I am back on track to grow it long again. Even though it is now snow white and I am in my mid fifties.
My mom still says that older women should have short hair. I just look at her and say... I am not that older woman.

Magicknthenight
August 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I have always liked long hair :D
I had it long-ish when i was little-probably BSL but not quite waist...
But then i cut it to shoulder length in 5th grade. In the couple years to come i got layers got it evened...and i think i got layers again. But i really wanted long hair!
Then my freshman year of high school i started blow drying my hair everyday because it was so cold in the morning. Even when summer came this became a daily thing. Then i still wanted my hair longer so of course i googled it :p
Slowly but surely my knowledge for hair expanded. At first i moved to a shampoo that was supposed to help with heat damage. Then eventually i went without drying my hair. Then without ripping a brush through it. Then treating it better and learning. I think my biggest changes were recently though. A few months to a year ago i gave up the brush and only use a comb now. When i use a brush now its actually painful and i can't stand the ripping. Wide toothed combs just work better for me. So it was a slow process of learning TONS about hair that's just way too much to type. I went on yahoo answers and learned more there however most people would tell others to cut it off X__X
Then during the last school year i started oiling it. I had been looking for a less harsh shampoo/condish along the way too. Then during this passed summer i started wearing it up almost all the time. I had also been able to spread out washings. My hair is doing alot better. I dont do anything to it when its wet but maybe add a teensy bit of oil. >.> so that was the basics of the passed few years. I learned tons about hair through a slow process. And now i oil frequently, wash less, KNOW that stuff in the stores is most likely lieing and can tell from the ingredients whats good and whats not, have a good shampoo./condish, can now wear hair sticks, and have a whole collection of them! :D
Its been fun! I'm even still learning! ^-^

oh also..i learned my hair is wavy! if someone would have asked me years ago i would have said...umm straight?
But now i know ^-^
i think the blow drying made it straighter
but i love my waves now :)

Patrycja
August 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I kept waist length hair untill I entered my sophmore year in high school.I've had it many many lengths since then but never longer than 2-3 inches past BSL.
I decided to grow as long as it will let me last year.I had my last major cut this past december and haven't had even a trim since then.It's been 8 months so I've grown to a bit past shoulders to a inch past BSL.

My first goal has been reached and now I'm going towards waist,then TB,then hips,etc etc

purpleorc
August 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I can not remember a time when i did not want long hair but my parents would not let me grow it longer than shoulder length. So on leaving home started to grow it and now am in between waist and tail-bone.

allege
August 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I have always loved long hair. Growing up my grandmother had near floor lenght hair. I didn't start growing my hair until after she passed away.

jewelrygirl
August 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
My mom gave me a mullet in third grade after I was used to having BSL hair. In high school I was allowed to make my own hair decisions and started growing it at 14. By the time I was 19 it was past my waist. It's so unusual to see people with really long, beautiful natural hair!

Millielie
August 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I had tailbone length hair when I was 7 years old. I loved it but one day my mother cut it all off telling me I wouldn't care good enough for it.
From age 15 to 21 I had BSL to waist length hair but last year I got it cut into a bob. Now I'm growing it again because I don't feel comfortable with hair that short.

feralnature
August 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
So was the OP a ne'r-do-well or what? :confused:

purplesalon
August 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I had waist length hair from ages 8-12. My mother actually bribed me to cut my hair! I loved the attention as a kid, though. Other girls always wanted to play with and braid my hair.

As an adult, I've almost always worn a length past my shoulders. There were a couple of years when I experimented with bobs and spikes!

aprilmay
August 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I grew up with long hair. I cut it chin length when I was 10 and begin growing it back out immediately. I cut it chin length again when I was 21 and also begin growing it out after. I feel like my long hair is an integral part of my identity. I am used to it being hip length and feel a loss when it has been shorter. I had about 6 inches trimmed off 18 months ago and I missed it and looked longingly at others with longer hair. I don't know what the future holds. I may decide to go short when I am old, but I don't feel old yet and my long hair helps me feel young and attractive.

sapphire-o
August 18th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Not until I found LHC. :) I alway liked my own hair as it's smooth, shiny and sweet. But I've had shorter hair all my life and never thought about growing it out, it's like that didn't seem like an option. Then DH talked me into growing it. It got to BSL and I was frustrated with it a lot, not knowing how to take care of it or keep it off my face. Then I found this place, found updos and hairtoys and haircare tips, problems were solved. :D Now I'm very interested in long hair and notice people's hair a lot.

GreenGables
August 19th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I had long hair when I was little, below waist. I grew sick of it when I was 12 and cut it off to shoulderlength, but now I long for it again, I want to be able to make beautiful buns and braids!! It's really cool.

paper
August 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I can remember when I was around 3 or 4. My Mom would make me get my hair cut in a pixie and I would cry. She finally let me grow my hair around 10. I always had long hair after that. I cut it short when I turned 40. I am now growing it long again at 46.

Gecko
August 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I've wanted long hair ever since I was little. It seemed old fashioned and princess like. My sister and me used to put panty hose on our head and pretended it was long hair.

C_Bookworm
August 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
all my life. had knee length hair in elementary school. and i always loved fairy tales where the princesses had long hair