PDA

View Full Version : scalp greasy in less than 12 hours after washing?

raingirl
October 12th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I've been using a lot of tips from here but nothing helps. If I shower in the morning before work, my hair starts to get stringy and greasy before I'm even done the work day (say, shower at 6AM, my hair is stringy and greasy by 3PM). I admit I do have a habit of running my hands through my hair constantly, but it also happens when I just leave it up.

It's mostly the 2 inches of hair starting at my scalp and moving down. The rest of my hair is fine, if anything it's actually fairly dry and I would love if the ends were a little more moisturized.

I have insanely oily skin though. I have to blot my face all day long to remove oil.

I had surgery last week and I'm working from home this week so I've been sticking to CO since Sunday. That's 6 days now and I was hoping this would fix my issue, but it's not really helping. My hair is actually more greasy. I know there can be an adjustment period, but if it's still like this Sunday, I will be forced to wash as I can't look all greasy at work.

I really want to move to night showering, but I can't because my hair is stringy and greasy by morning just from sleeping.

I really don't want to resort to blow drying this winter, but know my hair and wet hair under a hat is a bad idea. My hair will kink to whatever shape you put it in within minutes and it's almost impossible to remove without another shower. And hatless is not possible in our freezing winter.

LizTheLyre
October 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM
dry shampoo maybe, you could use it during the day when you notice your roots becoming oily.

raingirl
October 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I've tried a few dry shampoos with no success. I tried two store brands, as well as baby powder/talc. They just made my hair feel coated and didn't really stop the greasy look/feel.

DinaAG
October 12th, 2012, 10:00 PM
a lot tried this recipe and worked for them hope it can help:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/07/a-quick-fix-for-oily-hair-dry-clean-it.html
also aloe vera gel after my hair dries always helped..

petali
October 12th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Have you tried SLS-free shampoos? For me, the first couple of days it's extra greasy, but then it slows down a whole lot.

ravenreed
October 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
When you CO, do you make sure to coat everywhere on the scalp with the conditioner and let it sit for about 10 -15 minutes and then rinse it all off? My hair is actually squeaky clean after I CO. Also, are you following it with a vinegar rinse? That can help make sure that all the conditioner is rinsed out.

MORE
October 13th, 2012, 01:06 AM
This happens to me when I use the "wrong" conditioner for my CO-washes. With wrong I mean wrong for me. I switched from a really cheap one which was very runny to a richer one (TreSemmé Naturals) and suddenly I could stretch my washes.

I usually keep a little "storage" of it at home, but this week I ran out. I haven't had the possibility to buy more yet, so I have been washing with that runny one again and my hair is all greasy again the day after washing! Boo :boohoo: Haven't had this problem since I switched the last time. Will definitely stock up on the richer ASAP!

Just wanted to share, maybe you could try a different conditioner and see if it helps?:)

MORE
October 13th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Oh, I forgot: I hope your surgery went well and that you will recover soon!:blossom::blossom::blossom:

Ocelan
October 13th, 2012, 01:48 AM
My hair is really clean after CO washes too (when done the right way like ravenreed pointed out), even more so than when using shampoo but like MORE said, it has a lot to do with what conditioner you use. I tried first with one (cheap) conditioner which had a plasticky feeling and left my hair feeling coated and stringy. After I've been using a few other (cheap) brands that don't have the plasticky feeling so much and they clean my hair really well.

If changing conditioners doesn't help or ACV or lemon rinses either, try rinsing your scalp with cold water after washing. Also don't use hot water on your scalp when washing the hair as you might get better results with cooler water. It doesn't have to be cold, just cool enough for your scalp not to "sweat" already during and right after the wash.

On top of those I can't come up with anything more than starting to stretch washes. Your scalp is used to being washed often so it knows to produce more sebum before the next wash. If you would for example move to CO washing every other morning and water only rinsing every other morning and then just keeping your hair slicked back so the greasies won't show at work especially after the WO, you might soon be able to move the washes to the evening and leave the WO out or stretch the WO time between CO washes.
I used to have to wash my hair more often also so I know how annoying stretching washes can be. I had to wash my hair every other night and now I can comfortably go 3 days without washing, usually wash twice a week and probably could stretch further, but I don't bother.

SilverDoe
October 13th, 2012, 02:09 AM
This happened to me after I quit hormonal birth control, and my hormones were messed up to say the least.
What really helped me was Evening primrose oil supplements, as they help stabilize hormones, as well as a better diet.

I also CO wash with success, but my scalp gets a nasty oily/coated feeling if I use the wrong/too heavy conditioner for the scalp area.
So try a different brand & make sure you massage your scalp more thoroughly with conditioner than you really think is necessary.

Rinna
October 13th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Make sure your conditioner is silicone free and rinse it out well. You probably know this already, but for many girls that's the prime reason for co-wash fail.

SwordWomanRiona
October 13th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I have the same issue, except that my length doesn't get dry. It's a bother, and I sympathise :flower:! I'm still looking for the magical solution, but so far what I do is shampooing, then dry shampooing on the second day after washing (my hair also starts looking greasy hours after I wash, but on the second day it's too much already). I use the Klorane dry shampoos, and they usually work well for me, it isn't the same as washing my hair, but they take the grease off, at least. And I do tea rinses once a week, after washing, to combat the grease with tea's astringency. It seems to work, not as much as I'd like, though, but my hair looks better than the times before I started rinsing.
If you try tea rinses, be careful because your length might dry out (if you say your ends could get a bit more moisture). I'd leave it in on the roots, but rinse the length, maybe, and oil/panacea the ends, or moisturize them in some other way (conditioner? aloe vera?).

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I hope you're recovering well from your surgery, btw :)!

SwordWomanRiona
October 13th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I'm also experimenting with Jojoba oil treatments on my scalp to regulate the sebum production, you might want to check that out too :)

raingirl
October 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Have you tried SLS-free shampoos? For me, the first couple of days it's extra greasy, but then it slows down a whole lot.

I've been using SLS free shampoos for over a year, this has always been a problem for me since highschool.

When you CO, do you make sure to coat everywhere on the scalp with the conditioner and let it sit for about 10 -15 minutes and then rinse it all off? My hair is actually squeaky clean after I CO. Also, are you following it with a vinegar rinse? That can help make sure that all the conditioner is rinsed out.

Yep, this is what I do except the vinegar rinse. I'm too afraid to try vinegar or lemon rinses yet.

This happens to me when I use the "wrong" conditioner for my CO-washes. With wrong I mean wrong for me. I switched from a really cheap one which was very runny to a richer one (TreSemmé Naturals) and suddenly I could stretch my washes.

Just wanted to share, maybe you could try a different conditioner and see if it helps?:)

I've tried both cone and cone free, cheap and expensive. I've tried CO a few times and so far no luck. I've tried tresemme naturals and that's actually the one right now that makes it the worst. Fructis Triple Nutrition ... Deep Therapy I think it's called works really well, but it's insanely thick and I have to use a third of the tube just in one use. I can't afford to use that much of it as it's almost $10 a tube and it's not meant for every day use I don't think, even though it works and my hair feels clean after. But then again, I have the greasy issue before CO as well...

I spent a good 30 min in the hair product isle today at Walmart and every conditioner I picked up had cones in it except tresemme naturals and the Fructis one I mentioned above. We don't have VO5 or Suave here as I've never seen them on the shelves. Are there any other cone free brands out there?

Oh, I forgot: I hope your surgery went well and that you will recover soon!:blossom::blossom::blossom:

Thanks! It did go awesome actually. I had the same surgery last year and it was a worse recovery. This time it's so much better!

My hair is really clean after CO washes too (when done the right way like ravenreed pointed out), even more so than when using shampoo but like MORE said, it has a lot to do with what conditioner you use. I tried first with one (cheap) conditioner which had a plasticky feeling and left my hair feeling coated and stringy. After I've been using a few other (cheap) brands that don't have the plasticky feeling so much and they clean my hair really well.

If changing conditioners doesn't help or ACV or lemon rinses either, try rinsing your scalp with cold water after washing. Also don't use hot water on your scalp when washing the hair as you might get better results with cooler water. It doesn't have to be cold, just cool enough for your scalp not to "sweat" already during and right after the wash.

On top of those I can't come up with anything more than starting to stretch washes. Your scalp is used to being washed often so it knows to produce more sebum before the next wash. If you would for example move to CO washing every other morning and water only rinsing every other morning and then just keeping your hair slicked back so the greasies won't show at work especially after the WO, you might soon be able to move the washes to the evening and leave the WO out or stretch the WO time between CO washes.
I used to have to wash my hair more often also so I know how annoying stretching washes can be. I had to wash my hair every other night and now I can comfortably go 3 days without washing, usually wash twice a week and probably could stretch further, but I don't bother.

I've tried to stretch washes and tried WO every other day. I just don't like the feel of an unwashed body so I have to wash the "dirty parts" at least daily (nether-regions, underarms, and feet at least). But on those days my hair just feels so greasy it literally feels like oil is dribbling down my face from my scalp. I had doctors orders for no showering 48 hours after my surgery and I only made it to 44 hours before I couldn't take it any longer.

Make sure your conditioner is silicone free and rinse it out well. You probably know this already, but for many girls that's the prime reason for co-wash fail.

I rinse it super long under cool water with a rainshower shower head. I let it go until it's no longer slimy feeling.

I'm also experimenting with Jojoba oil treatments on my scalp to regulate the sebum production, you might want to check that out too :)

I use the OCM on my face and use jojoba as a moisturizer. It's helped with oil production on my face, but I never thought to use it on my scalp. Maybe that's an idea....

jillosity
October 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM
My hair was much oilier when I washed every day, so I started out washing every other day and it took probably a month before it looked and felt ok. I don't think I would have had any success with CO at that point. I've only recently had any success with CO washing, and I'd done the wash every other day routine for a few years (I learned of CO washing just a few months ago when I joined). Also, putting your hair up will definitely help.

You might also look to your diet, how much fat/oil are you consuming in a day, often a sluggish liver can be causing extra oiliness. I took an herbal tincture for that and it really helped.

The conditioner I'm using that is working well for me is suave Clarifying conditioner, my hair feels perfectly clean after co washing with it. Suave strawberry left my scalp feeling greasy and gross, Coconut worked just ok, with the Clarifying I think I might be able to stretch out to 3 days.

Edited once more to add that an ACV rinse is your friend for sure, it really helped my scalp!!! I haven't tried it while CO washing, but while using regular shampoo, it made my scalp feel clean and smooth, and my hair is always extra shiny.

blaketob
October 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
is it possible you have some buildup? when was the last time you clarified you hair?

SwordWomanRiona
October 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I've only put jojoba oil on my scalp once (I left it for an hour and then washed), so I can't really know yet how my hair reacts to it, but I did notice that my hair was shiny, more supple and possibly a bit less greasy. So maybe it'll work for us?? :)