PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Freaking about massive shed.

hennared
August 15th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I could use some support/words of experience. I've mentioned here that I'm undergoing a massive shed that I think it stress related, but it's been going on for 2 months (with no end in sight; I've been counting most of the shed hairs and I seem to average about 100 a day every day! I am pretty sure I more typically shed about 25 or so a day).

Anyway, I noticed this morning that the off center part I usually wear is noticeably wider :eek:
Especially in the back of my head. I had to part it over to the other side (where it doesn't look as bad; and it definitely looks different!). Is this normal, for someone going through a big shed?? It's really, truly freaking me out ... I'm SO freaked out and upset about this hair loss thing that I'm going to a therapist, this morning.

-hennared, losing her red

Alethia
August 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I'm really sorry that you're going through a major shed. Having gone through a couple myself and being a person who averages at least 100 hairs a day shedding anyway, I can sympathise. However, it is not worth getting exceedingly stressed about it.

I have so much other stuff in my life to focus on that my hair doesn't really figure hugely. As a result I keep it clean and looked after, but I don't do a lot with it and it looks OK. It has weathered the storms of shedding after my 2 babies, and massive hair loss with fine tooth combing after headlice a year ago. Sure, my taper is severe, and my hair is very thin for the last 1/2 of my length, but I'm sure it will catch up. I would love it if it got a lot thicker, but I doubt it will. My hair still gets compliments, and yours will too.

The best thing you can do for your hair is to learn how to deal with your stress more effectively. I hope your therapist can help you with that. Remember, this too shall pass - your genetics for ii hair will take over again once you get your stress under control. Eat well and do some relaxation. I bet your hair looks a lot better than you think in your present mood.

Darkhorse1
August 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I went through a major shed due to stress...I couldn't believe how much hair I was losing. I calmed myself by saying 'I have a lot of it', and my doctor also told me that it will always grow back. So, deep breath. Remember, this is just a period of stress in your life, and the hair WILL come back and you'll also be less stressed at some point.

Hugs to you!! :)

Kirin
August 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
First, i agree with the others, take it easy! Stressing about it will only add to the problem.

I am uncertain of your routine, however if you are a daily shampoo-er, you might want to try co instead. washing with shampoo once or twice a week instead of every day. This cut down shed for me dramatically.... which, is odd because with shampoo and condition, the condition part made me shed, but condition alone does not.

Merkaba
August 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
If you are still using sulfate shampoos, stop right away!

I had ringworm once and my hair started falling out in clumps (yes, it was horrifying). Make sure you don't have that!

Otherwise, I'd try taking some vitamins to help combat the effects of the stress.

Just_Isabel
August 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM
If you are still using sulfate shampoos, stop right away!

Why? What's so bad about them?

basak
August 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM
It's probably because it's summer(I'm guessing you're not in Australia). It'll go away in about a month.

foxym
August 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hi

I also have had massive shedding over the last 3-4 weeks (I have extremely thick hair anyway) but I put it down to visiting my parents in Cyprus where the average temp was 40 degrees in the shade every day as oppose to our exceedingly rainy cold summer in England:rolleyes: when I came home last week I washed my hair and literally 2 handfuls of hair came out, it seems to have eased off a bit now thankfully. Weird how a change in temp/climate can have such an effect!!

wolf girl
August 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I've come to the conclusion that we shed in cyles affected by hormones, weather, stress, etc.......

I don't shed at all during the winter but come spring you could make a medium sized dog in a month! :puppy: Right now my shedding is back to normal (about 10-20 a day). I would suggest that you not let it bother you too much (unless it's comming out in hand fulls, then see a doctor). Any shed is disheartening, I know, because we want to keep all of our hair but I dont think nature intended it that way. (:rant:Shame on nature!)

HTH! :flower:

Slug Yoga
August 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Shedding 100 hairs a day, especially in summer, is perfectly normal and average. So even if it seems like a lot, don't worry that it means your hair is falling out at an alarming rate or anything! It's just typical summer shed, and you have tens and tens of thousands more hairs on your head that are growing!

Merkaba
August 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Just Isabel-

Personally I have noticed NO shedding now that I am not using shampoos with sodium Laureth sulfates in them. I believe they are just too harsh for regular use, and I have seen my hair improve greatly since I started using a non-poo shampoo.

ChloeDharma
August 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Jumping in with the "address the stress" advice too here. If you know that is what is causing the increase in shedding then focus on coping techniques for that. Exercise, a good multivitamin, attention to diet including good complex carbs....try googling "stress management" for advice and tips on dealing with that.
Maybe try including an evening scalp massage possibly with a good oil.
But most of all try to calm down.....i know how stressfull it is to shed loads but trust me, it does grow back hun :grouphug:

Anje
August 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Just another voice saying "calm down." Stressing about hair falling out certainly won't help stress-related hairloss.

When did you start counting shed hairs? Did you do it because you thought you might be shedding more than normal? Did you have a period where you actually counted a consistent 25 hairs/day? Or are you freaking out because when you started counting, you found out that there were way more hairs shed than you had expected?

I think the main thing you need to do right now is manage the stress in your life, at least as best you can. Seeing a therapist would probably help. Delegate what responsibilities you can, and make sure to take enough time for yourself to stay sane. Make sure you eat well, drink enough water, limit the caffeine, sleep plenty (maybe give yourself permission to sleep in a few times if your work will allow you to, then make up the hours in the evening), go for walks, and take a multivitamin. Scalp massage may help your hair growth, though it can also incite hairs that are coming out anyway to shed.

Oh, and it's quite normal to have hair thicker on one side of your head, so unless your part was the same on both sides before, I wouldn't worry that the other side looks thicker.

Slug Yoga
August 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Oh, and it's quite normal to have hair thicker on one side of your head, so unless your part was the same on both sides before, I wouldn't worry that the other side looks thicker.

Mind blown. I guess it makes sense, since other parts of our body, like hands, etc., might be slightly bigger on one side than the other. I always put any seeming unevenness down to hair parts, or growing out from an uneven cut, or just not being able to make equal strands while braiding or something. :p

EvaSimone
August 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
:grouphug:

I went through a massive shed last year also, it can be so worrisome and stressful.

100 hairs a day for a few weeks isn't really something to be concerned about, but for two months I would be a little worried also.

I am with the others about addressing the stress and try to not worry about the hair loss. It's something that will stop on it's own and if it's stress related the best thing to do is to just ignore it and relax.

Just my two cents also, my hair loss was related to a severe iron deficiency. Once I got that taken care of the shedding ceased. I would suggest going to your doctor and having him/her do blood work to make sure that you aren't in the middle of some kind of deficiency.

I hope everything gets better!

Just_Isabel
August 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Just Isabel-

Personally I have noticed NO shedding now that I am not using shampoos with sodium Laureth sulfates in them. I believe they are just too harsh for regular use, and I have seen my hair improve greatly since I started using a non-poo shampoo.

Ok. So it's personal experience, then. I thought you might know of some super important research about SLS or something. :lol:

Sofoulee
August 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
OH! I feel for you, I'm shedding like crazy due to stress too! I would invest some time in relaxation, as hard as it is to fit into your schedule, it makes the greatest difference!

One of my friends had a very type A personality, and was quite an achiever, she ended up with a bald spot, please don't let yourself get this far!

hennared
August 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks so much for the supprt, guys; it helps just to be heard!

I was recently fired from my dream job, with NO warning and no clue, after turning my entire life upside down to move for the job. It was really stressful, and this happened about 2 months ago. Very soon after, I noticed lots of hair with roots coming out of my head when I combed, all at once, vs. the usual 2 or 3 or so here and there like I was used to.

I shampoo with pretty mild stuff; no sulfates, usually I use stuff in the Giovanni or Natures Gate line, condition with VO5 or other non-cone stuff. I used to shampoo every day, but now that the shed has me freaked, I am washing every other or third day, and I only shampoo the front top (where I get oily). I've always taken a multivitamin (a powdered, mix in your juice, one; easy to absorb) and I usually eat a well balanced diet. I did add some iron, zinc, and vitamin E to my routine. I don't eat red meat, so I could be low in iron.

I did move to Arizona for the job, from a moist climate; but I have lived here before for 3 years, and never had a big shed like this in the summers. This hair shed is significant enough that I have to wrap my ponytail holders around an extra turn than I recently used to.

I am 41, so to have my first and only hair shed now really has me wonder, since it is so atypical for me. I've not always had super healthy hair, but i always had thick hair, before now! I fear it could also be pre-menopausal, and hence, might not grow back. (My cycle has been whacked out since before the job loss.)

I'll try not to worry so much; I am working again now, so that helps with the stress. It isn't work I really like, but it pays a good bit better than the one I got fired from. So, at least I can afford supplements and good hair care!

Hennared