PDA

View Full Version : Quick "urban" styles

Magdalene
August 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I need some ideas for quick urban edgy styles for the play I'm in. Because I'm changing characters, I need to disguise my hair somehow in some of the scenes. There is one where I plan to just cover it with a scarf, but for the rest, I'm kind of stumped. And some of the changes are very fast, so no complicated braids are going to happen. I'm the only blonde AND the only longhair, so I'm going to stand out.

burns_erin
August 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
You could always try wigs. Barring that. You could start out with a style that makes your hair look really short, then gradually take parts down making it look longer as the play goes on.

Periwinkle
August 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Perhaps you could do something with a snood? I've never worn one myself, but I do own one, and it's quite quick just to stuff the hair in and pull it up. That can look quite 'edgy' if done right (i.e. not Edwardian-like).

Magdalene
August 15th, 2008, 08:24 AM
With the fast changes I'm worried about pinning a wig well enough to stay on while I dance. It's a very physical show. I also switch back and forth back to one recurring character.

fauxyeti
August 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Have you seen Julia Stiles in Save the Last Dance? She had some nice looking hair styles in that movie that might be considered 'urban'.

Magdalene
August 15th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I'll take a look at those. Here's what my routine will be like

Start in primary costume (this will be the most "street", but also the most ingenue like), then I change to my prostitute costume, then to my leper costume, back to the primary costume, then to my harem costume (modern, not middle eastern) then back to primary, then into crazy blood-splatter lady, then into angel, and finally back to my primary costume. It's important that I'm clearly a different character in all those other costumes than my primary one.

Some of these changes are very fast.

Alethia
August 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM
This one would need a couple of hairsticks - try an infinity bun by winding a fig 8 round your fingers, then take one turn of hair around the base of the fig 8, bring the tail to the top, then fix the infinity bun with two hairstick to keep it firm. This will leave a shorter ponytail over the top of the bun - if you want it to look spiky and edgy, take more turns around the base of the fig 8 before pullling the tail to the top of the bun. I can do this one in about 1 minute and my hair is a similar length to yours.

You could start the evening with a sock bun, and then secure it with a scrunchy that has brightly coloured artificial hair attached to it which sticks out at angles - I use a finger-thick strand of jumbo braid hair, then double it, insert the loop through the scrunchy, then pull the double ends through the loop to secure. Repeat several times around the band until you have lots of hair around. You can make the strands long or short depending on the look you want. You could use a mixture of colours to liven things up. Can look really cool if you do two buns nearer the top of your head and then have two hairy scrunchies around the bases - very goth.

Get a Buff because you can use this as a bandana, headscarf, scrunchie or snood.

Hope I made some sense there!

Magdalene
August 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I like the idea of the goth mini-buns- you make your own scrunchies for that? Adding color would be fun.

Didn't quite understand how to do the figure-8- are you basically just leaving the tail untucked?

JessTheMess
August 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM
A lot of girls in Philly wear this style. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z720pqp8lK4) I've been seeing a lot of snoods and long pin straight hair as well... Also long curly/wavy hair left down, with pin straight bangs in the front...

Ursula
August 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Could you do a bun, and a variety of hats designed to work with the bun? Maybe get some old-fashioned hat pins, so you can pin on the hats through the bun, which should be fairly secure, and also fast.

bgarrison
August 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
A lot of girls in Philly wear this style. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z720pqp8lK4) I've been seeing a lot of snoods and long pin straight hair as well... Also long curly/wavy hair left down, with pin straight bangs in the front...
This is so cute! But I wonder about all that handling, brushing, pulling etc. Might just be cos I'm old and afeared of messing up my hair in case none ever grows back in it's place.;) Lord knows I was much more cavalier when I was her age.

JessTheMess
August 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
This is so cute! But I wonder about all that handling, brushing, pulling etc. Might just be cos I'm old and afeared of messing up my hair in case none ever grows back in it's place.;) Lord knows I was much more cavalier when I was her age.
i thought the same thing watching it.... I would be afraid to take it out, seems like it would cause a lot of tangling :( It does look cute though :p

Hey You
August 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I've been looking for easy ways of getting my hair out of my face while still - a) showing I have hair and b) not looking like I'm a stray from the set of Cranford. And one thing I've been doing lately is divide my hair in two, and tie each lock into a knot at shoulder level. Then I twist the knots round each other at the crown of my head until fairly tight and scrunch and heap it all together into single, rather wide , messy bun, which I secure with hairsticks (if it can't be done with hairsticks, I'm not doing it). Full disclosure though - sometimes, with the ends sticking out here and there, I end up with a quirky, sort of dishevelled, punky "Edwardian" look, if that makes the remotest degree of sense. And in your position I might add a brightly coloured scarf. But sometimes it comes out surprisingly neat and old-fashioned (I'm pretty sure with more care you could make a quite authentic, classic style with the same principles). And sometimes it just doesn't work at all. But when it does, it's quick.

Sofoulee
August 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Have you tried that pouf at the front thing with the sides slicked back? That always looks "urban and edgy" to me, but I just might not know what I'm talking about...

Here's a picture of it...http://img.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2006/galleries/071806_240x320_alba.jpg

I don't know if the link will work...

Sofoulee
August 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hmmm, I guess it did... yay! Well, it looks simple and messy and quick. Maybe what you need?

Rapunzelwannabe
August 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
For some reason a really slicked back ponytail says urban to me- maybe you could have different hairstyles that you don't have to take your hair out of the ponytail for, so then it takes less time to do it. If you start out with a half up stylefor one character, then you can use a second hairtie to create a full ponytail for the second, make a braided ponytail for another, and a bun for your 'crazy blood splattered lady'and then maybe down with a headband for the last one? I'm just thinking easy and semi-secure styles.

mellie
August 16th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I would look at photos of b-girls doing their breakdancing for inspiration:

From www.faustandshortee.com/breaklanta5.htmThere's a lot more photos of b-girls on that site too!

http://www.faustandshortee.com/photos/photos_events/breaklanta5/72bgirl12.jpg

http://www.faustandshortee.com/photos/photos_events/breaklanta5/72bgirl06.jpg

http://www.faustandshortee.com/photos/photos_events/breaklanta5/72bgirl14.jpg