PDA

View Full Version : Coconut milk in my indigo mud?

PrettyFit
October 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hi All,

I'm sitting with henna --about to rinse in about an hour-- and trying to decide whether to proceed with the indigo step. My henna mix has oil (castor and coconut), conditioner (no cone), and coconut milk. It usually rinses out well leaving behind soft hair.

The last time I used indigo (two step), my hair felt rough and dry after rinsing the indigo. I want to avoid using straight indigo and water again but I read that indigo does not work well when oils are added to the mix. Has anyone ever used coconut milk instead of water in their indigo mix? If so, what were the results?

Thanks for your help :)

cmg
October 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hi there,

I havent used it in any dye mix but I have used it in treatments. I think it might act just like oil does, because of it's relatively high fat content. It will coat your hair and prevent some of the indigo to work its mojo. Some people coat their hair/lengths with coconut oil to prevent damage from different treatments like coloring or bleaching, so coconut milk might work similarly. But that's in theory. Never tried it.

/ CMG

PrettyFit
October 12th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hi there,

I havent used it in any dye mix but I have used it in treatments. I think it might act just like oil does, because of it's relatively high fat content. It will coat your hair and prevent some of the indigo to work its mojo. Some people coat their hair/lengths with coconut oil to prevent damage from different treatments like coloring or bleaching, so coconut milk might work similarly. But that's in theory. Never tried it.

/ CMG

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was afraid of. :(

Oh well -- Time to rinse the henna!

Thanks again :)