PDA

View Full Version : My parrot cut my hair

Syaoransbear
October 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I have an eclectus and he was grooming the hair on the top of my head near my scalp very briefly(like for maybe two seconds) before I stopped him because I was never sure if it was damaging or not. A few minutes later I was standing upstairs feeding the cats when a small chunk of 21 inch strands fell from my head onto the floor. I stared at it in disbelief, wondering if I was balding or having a reaction to something. Then I remembered my parrot briefly chewing on that area and my heart sank. He severed the hair in that area with his beak.

So here's a warning to anyone with birds... don't let them groom your hair, they CAN cut it with their beaks.

At least now I know for sure that it's very damaging to let my parrots groom my hair :(.

Unofficial_Rose
October 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Sorry about your hair, but...that is such a great thread title. :rollin:

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Cute story but sorry for your loss.

lapushka
October 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM
OMG. :shocked: Can't believe that happened.

Mindy
October 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you! :( I have a blue and gold macaw and I have often worried that this could happen. She loves to try and chew on my braids, so I make sure my hair is bunned when I hold her and this, so far, has prevented any disasters.

Maelyssa
October 12th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought something like this could happen. Thanks for the warning and I hope your has a Leeds and healthy recovery.

spirals
October 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Oh no! Maybe you'll look back on this as a funny story, though.

kdaniels8811
October 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM
My Mollucan would groom my hair but never cut through it! Do you have the blue femaie or the green male? They are beautiful birds. I lost mine to liver failure when she was 12. I miss her!

Miss Catrina
October 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Oh dear. That's terrible! Better a few strands of hair than a finger, though. You don't wanna mess with parrots.

You might also take it as a compliment - birds like shiny things - so perhaps you have very shiny hair? :D

fairhairedthing
October 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Wow! Cute and in it's own way funny but I'm sorry to hear that. I never could have imagined having to worry about something like that, I'll beware of letting birds around my hair. :eek:

Micayla47
October 12th, 2012, 08:35 PM
i'm sorry about your hair, but i have to agree with everyone else. animals groom each other as a sign of affection, so it's pretty sweet that he did that. maybe next time tell him to take just 1/4 inch off the bottom!!

Natalia
October 12th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have an eclectus and he was grooming the hair on the top of my head near my scalp very briefly(like for maybe two seconds) before I stopped him because I was never sure if it was damaging or not. A few minutes later I was standing upstairs feeding the cats when a small chunk of 21 inch strands fell from my head onto the floor. I stared at it in disbelief, wondering if I was balding or having a reaction to something. Then I remembered my parrot briefly chewing on that area and my heart sank. He severed the hair in that area with his beak.

So here's a warning to anyone with birds... don't let them groom your hair, they CAN cut it with their beaks.

At least now I know for sure that it's very damaging to let my parrots groom my hair :(.

Ok small hijack what kind?!?! I have a female solomon island and everyone admires her but has no idea hat she is lol. Ok back on track im sorry about your hair :(

Syaoransbear
October 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM
He's a male red-sided eclectus. Since he's bright green I named him Yoshi! :p

He was not socialized properly as a baby and his bite inhibition is pretty terrible. He always bites too hard and at unsuitable times, but he's come a long ways and he's still a baby. Every time my eclectus has groomed my hair it has always been very rough, sometimes pulling my hair out. He is a toy fanatic and I think he thinks my hair is a toy, so he happily rips it up. :(

I keep thinking how that's like 3+ years of growth down the drain and it's really bumming me out :(.

Natalia
October 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
He's a male red-sided eclectus. Since he's bright green I named him Yoshi! :p

He was not socialized properly as a baby and his bite inhibition is pretty terrible. He always bites too hard and at unsuitable times, but he's come a long ways and he's still a baby. Every time my eclectus has groomed my hair it has always been very rough, sometimes pulling my hair out. He is a toy fanatic and I think he thinks my hair is a toy, so he happily rips it up. :(

I keep thinking how that's like 3+ years of growth down the drain and it's really bumming me out :(.

Awww i love the name! My girl was supposed to be a breeder since she is a perfect specimen of the breed but she hated her mate so we got to adopt her when they gave up :p. I also have a poorly socialized bird a lilac fronted amazon but we rescued him when he was about 45 so even though he has improved we dont expect much more. He prefers older women but he tolerates me. They can be rough im sorry it ended up being your hair.

Demi-Plum
October 12th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I had my guinea pig EAT my hair once. I was laying on my side petting him when he came up and took a bite out of my hair. I was so stunned that by the time I realized what had happened I wasn't able to pull the 12+" of hair away from him before he chomped it all down!

melusine963
October 13th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Oh dear! I hope the damage isn't too visible or the poor parrot will never live it down. ;)

MasCat
October 13th, 2012, 06:16 AM
The hair will grow out. The story will live forever :)

Hugs!

morrigan*
October 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Wow that's surprise.

DoubleCrowned
October 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you! :( I have a blue and gold macaw and I have often worried that this could happen. She loves to try and chew on my braids, so I make sure my hair is bunned when I hold her and this, so far, has prevented any disasters.
Whoa! A macaw could chomp off a braid in a flash!

It's amazing, isn't it, that they preen their feathers so delicately, yet cut through hair. I thought my lovebird was just preening my hair, but she wasn't, and now the hair on one side at my neckline won't stay in my French twist. Like your bird, she is young, so could learn to preen hair properly (rather then prune!), but I don't have enough hair to use for training! If any of my hair was as long as my longest, it's about 4 years worth she took off. I'm glad that it wasn't off the top!

piffyanne
October 17th, 2012, 02:20 AM
i'm sorry about your hair, but i have to agree with everyone else. animals groom each other as a sign of affection, so it's pretty sweet that he did that. maybe next time tell him to take just 1/4 inch off the bottom!!
I smiled at that last part, Micayla47!

Haha, and all this talk about preen vs. prune is so clever!

I'm sorry this happened. If I were you, I'd save the cropped bits, and put them in a little glass case or tube, and stick a label on it that says "friendly fire". You should do SOMETHING to mourn all your poor "fallen soldiers", as I've heard these sorts of things labeled on here. A cute little shrine to the fallen hairs.:eyebrows:

DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT belittling the sacrifice of military troops past, present, or future. I respect their gifts to all of us very highly, and reenact obsessively with the specific purpose of letting their memories live on past the lives of their peers and descendants.

gnome82
October 18th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Cheeky bird!! I'd be disappointed too with the hair loss :flowers:. I had a blue indian ring neck parrot, he didn't :yumm: my hair but :eek: when he bit it was like a vice. I had to leave him in Tassie when I moved back interstate, I miss him :boohoo:.