PDA

View Full Version : do fringes take longer to grow than rest of hair?

lady G
August 15th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I am roughly 3 months into my fringe growing exercise from a short above the eyebrow blunt fringe it is now over my eyes when I comb it straight down to measure the progress, is that very slow growth? seems to me it is taking forever. The rest of my hair grows much faster than that, I now have a graduated chin length bob and that needs a trim every 4 weeks to maintain!! is anyone else having slow grow fringe issues?!

:)

Tap Dancer
August 15th, 2008, 05:33 AM
My bangs are growing super fast.

Tabitha
August 15th, 2008, 05:40 AM
It's all to do with whether you want the bangs to grow out or want to keep a fringe. If you want to keep the fringe, the hair grows super-fast so that you keep having to have it trimmed :( however if you are trying to grow out the bangs, progress seems frustratingly slow.

George Michael's theory says that bangs and layers grow faster than the rest of the hair because they are trying to catch up with it.

Tap Dancer
August 15th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I think George Michael's ideas are nutty. He thinks we should all have hair that's one length, long, and parted on the right side. How boring! All of my hair seems to grow at the same speed.

suicides_eve
August 15th, 2008, 05:47 AM
my fringe grow slow it seems too. while the rest of my hair is past my shoulders my front layers are just now passing my chin and my "bangs" i cut a while back are creeping along. i don't know why that is..maybe there in a differnt growth stage then the rest of the hair?

dukkelisa
August 15th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I think it is just the frustration of watching it grow. Mine are just hitting chin length and I am not having quite as much difficulty keeping it out of my face as I did even last month. It so frustrating to keep pushing the stray hairs out of the way and I feel silly wearing little barretts at my age. I am glad I went through the pain of growing them out, I feel so much better not using scissors for ANY reason and because I no longer get the greasy bangs or having to wet them down, curl them somehow or even having to do something with them! I wore a high bun yesterday and the fringed stayed up somehow!

jivete
August 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM
My hair seems to grown at the same rate everywhere. The front never seems to catch up with the back, but I believe that's due to breakage, not growth rate.

Magdalene
August 15th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I have a few strands in front that never seem to grow past the collarbone. I'm sure it's due to the pulling, etc we do more with our front hair to get it out of our face.

lady G
August 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM
yeah well it looks like I will have to be patient :mad: at least I am only growing the fringe down and keeping the rest chin length lol, its bad enough just growing that part!! I reckon its going to take a year to get this where I want it :( but such is life all good things come to those who wait.......apparently lol :D

Alethia
August 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I think fringes can take longer to grow because some people have naturally shorter hair at the front and temples - I know I do. Someone wrote on another thread that the hair follicles around the hairline are a cross between body hair follicles and scalp ones - kind of transitional. So they have a shorter lifespan before shedding than the main scalp ones. Thick bangs/fringes which extend well into the scalp should grow at the same rate as the rest of the hair, but if the bangs/fringe is thin and mostly made up of these transitional hairs it will seem to take longer to reach the length of the rest of the hair because of an increased cycle of shedding and new growth. I may be completely wrong here, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time. :shrug:

JessTheMess
August 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I think my fringe grows super fast. If the rest of my hair had that growth rate I'd be at my goal length in no time. I cut my bangs at eye brow length in late may, and they are already at chin length.

jojo
August 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
My fringe has gone from above eyebrows to 2" below chin in 12 months, funny thing is there was a 6" difference between my fringe, now theres only 2 inches difference?

My fringe seems to grow quicker but that may be because i am aware of it more?

shellblue1
August 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
My fringe seems to grow really fast too. The rest of my hair not so much.

embee
August 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
When I first started growing out mine, it seemed to take forever. Probably because I couldn't do much of an updo with these short/long pieces hanging there. Maybe if they'd been little corkscrew curls.... but nooooo, they were straight as could be.

I hope to never have bangs/fringe again, mainly because I do *not* want to repeat that growing process.

Hang in there, those hairs will grow, they *are* growing, I 'spect it's a matter of "watched pot never boiling". ;)

yogachic
August 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Fringe don't grow slower, but it does take alot longer to catch up to the long ends.

spidermom
August 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm trying to keep face-framing fringe, and wow - it seems to grow out so fast. If I wanted to grow it out, it would probably seem to grow slow. I think that it grows about the same rate as the rest of my hair in general, keeping in mind that each hair seems to have its own speed. My hem gets uneven between trims.

UP Lisa
August 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
My bangs have never grown much past my chin, which is frustrating because they won't stay any anything but a high updo.

LadyLongLocks
August 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I started growing mine in January 2005 and they are now 26". Thats 23" in 43 months. They seem to grow the same speed as the rest of my hair. I guess it varies from person to person
like everything else.

Magicknthenight
August 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
My bangs seem to grow really fast. I look at it in a positive way. When my bangs grow i know my hair is growing and I'm hoping my longer hair is growing as fast! (I just can't see it because its not right in front of my eyes). I think its just really noticeable with bangs. If they grow only a little bit they get in your eyes. But once its past that stage they seem to slow down a little i think. I'm growing out my bangs and they are a little passed my eyes but their is a high chance i will cut them back to right above my eyes. (as they have always been).
Every time my bangs get into my eyes i just hope the rest of my length grew that much!
It makes dealing with bangs landing in your eyes:neutral:
much more bearable. :D