PDA

View Full Version : Long hair on older folks

Neriah
August 14th, 2008, 11:34 PM
It seems there is some unwritten rule that over 40-50 long hair is a no-no.

It's like it makes you 'look older'.

Thoughts on this?

purplebubba
August 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM
The general feeling at LHC is that is hogwash.
No one knows who came up with such rules.
There's no real reason to listen to them.

Do what you like with your own hair. :)

Missie
August 15th, 2008, 02:28 AM
you know what... I think too many of us care too much about what some one else thinks.. It's our hair and our life... there's a place for the loving wise advice of the important people in our lives but in the end, we decide what is right for us.
I'm 57 and if someone feels I'm too old for long hair that is up to them, but no way would I cave in to the peer pressure.. We are our own person..
Neriah, if you love your long hair then enjoy it.. huggggs
Missie

Shanarana
August 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I've always liked going against the grain.....I think I look younger than I am with long hair and don't really care what people think. I like is so that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned.

bte
August 15th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I think it is irrelevant whether someone looks older or younger.

If your hair is right for you, i]=you will feel more positive about yourself, and that will be a benefit at any age. (I'm 53!)

Hatsumomo
August 15th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I'll have my long hair when I'm pushing a zimmer frame! I think this rule is rubbish. Look at Jane Seymore and Demi Moore. Would they look as good with shorter hair? Not in my opinion anyway.

darl_in1
August 15th, 2008, 03:33 AM
If you search the forum, you'll find about a million threads on the same subject....and I'm willing to bet that not one of them agrees with that "unwritten rule"!:)

DavidN
August 15th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Long hair is for everyone! A few more years on the clock should not ever get in the way of anyone's dreams of healthy long hair! I turned 55 years old last week, and thoroughly enjoy having long hair.

Forest
August 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I think it is strange that this "rule" is around in so many countries!:confused:

Since most women over 40 have shorter hair cuts I tend to think that that is what makes you look old, if anything! :rolleyes:

bunnii
August 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM
My mum is 51 and has long red hair (with a few white) down to her bum and it looks lovely, it takes years off of her, and she looks after it really well, with a little help from LHC knowledge :D

paper
August 15th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I cut my hair at 40 thinking thats what I'm "suppose" to do. I started growing again last yr. at 45. I regret cutting and don't think age matters at all. Theres alot of women with long beautiful grey hair, I hope to be like that some day!

harley mama
August 15th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Is there a book of rules that states anything about getting a standard helmet hair style after a person reaches a certain age? I've never seen it. I've heard this rule whispered among people. I like my hair long. I like long hair on other people. No matter what age.

So, I guess if a person feels "old" and has the desire to conform to the same helmet hair style everyone is wearing because that's what "old" people are suppose to do then, by all means, go forth and cut.

I have never been one to follow fashion trends, I'll keep mine long, even though I am one of the "old" folks! :)

Juanita
August 15th, 2008, 06:00 AM
My daughters say they coldn't imagine me with short hair

Curlsgirl
August 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I feel much YOUNGER with my long hair.

Islandgrrl
August 15th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I feel much YOUNGER with my long hair.

I have to echo this sentiment.

Besides, I never met a rule I didn't want to break!

dukkelisa
August 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM
These kind of rules were written back in the 1950's when everyone was trying to make the world a better place to live after the deprivations, horror and chaos of WWII. People (in America) were able to afford a better lifestyle in the booming economy and there was a huge push to make life something that could be controlled. This is the era of proper dress, proper behaviour and rules to live by.

Up until the 1950's, long hair was acceptable on women of any age. As the 1950's began to discard all previous notions, they made up rules on how women should look. A NEW look was extremely important. Something modern and fresh and pert. If you look at hairstyles in the 1950's....there is not a hair our of place. Even hair is controlled to the extreme. It wasn't until the mid to late 1960's that the younger generation began to let their hair grow again and leaving it natural. It was part of the rule breaking youth against the "establishment".

Ever since women began bobbing their hair in the 1920's, women have been trying to establish themselves as modern, with long hair representing being either defiant or old fashioned. By the way...although we see many photo's of bobbed hair in the 1920's....the majority of women, including young women still had their long hair. Long hair was still very much respected as a woman's crowning glory.

My grandmother had long hair as a young teen and then wore her hair short and fashionable from the 1930's (when she was married) through the 1970's. Then she grew it long for whatever reason. She never told anyone. In fact none of us really noticed as she seemed to find a mixture of styles and the hair was wound up into a bouffant sort of thing. After she passed, we found out that her hair was hip length! My mother, who's young adulthood was in the 1950's, still wears a style similar to how she has always worn it....teased and perfectly coiffed. She never had long hair...even as a child. She cannot comprehend it.

I am 52 and I will wear my hair exactly the way I want to without any input by anyone else. I had knee length hair in the late 1960's and early 1970's....I was one of the defiant free hippy girls. I suppose it is the way things stay the same....I am growing it to that length and beyond as I age, even though I kept it short all of my adult life. Weird huh?

snowyowl
August 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Who set those rules? I don't follow fasion and image rules anyways, because I don't want to be like everyone else. I want to be me. I agree with a majority of people on here. Long hair is for everyone! I personally think long hair is gorgeous on older people. And if someone wants to have long hair, then they should have long hair. Who cares what other people think as long as they are happy!

paper
August 15th, 2008, 07:16 AM
These kind of rules were written back in the 1950's when everyone was trying to make the world a better place to live after the deprivations, horror and chaos of WWII. People (in America) were able to afford a better lifestyle in the booming economy and there was a huge push to make life something that could be controlled. This is the era of proper dress, proper behaviour and rules to live by.

Up until the 1950's, long hair was acceptable on women of any age. As the 1950's began to discard all previous notions, they made up rules on how women should look. A NEW look was extremely important. Something modern and fresh and pert. If you look at hairstyles in the 1950's....there is not a hair our of place. Even hair is controlled to the extreme. It wasn't until the mid to late 1960's that the younger generation began to let their hair grow again and leaving it natural. It was part of the rule breaking youth against the "establishment".

Ever since women began bobbing their hair in the 1920's, women have been trying to establish themselves as modern, with long hair representing being either defiant or old fashioned. By the way...although we see many photo's of bobbed hair in the 1920's....the majority of women, including young women still had their long hair. Long hair was still very much respected as a woman's crowning glory.

My grandmother had long hair as a young teen and then wore her hair short and fashionable from the 1930's (when she was married) through the 1970's. Then she grew it long for whatever reason. She never told anyone. In fact none of us really noticed as she seemed to find a mixture of styles and the hair was wound up into a bouffant sort of thing. After she passed, we found out that her hair was hip length! My mother, who's young adulthood was in the 1950's, still wears a style similar to how she has always worn it....teased and perfectly coiffed. She never had long hair...even as a child. She cannot comprehend it.

I am 52 and I will wear my hair exactly the way I want to without any input by anyone else. I had knee length hair in the late 1960's and early 1970's....I was one of the defiant free hippy girls. I suppose it is the way things stay the same....I am growing it to that length and beyond as I age, even though I kept it short all of my adult life. Weird huh?

Very interesting. I enjoyed reading your reply.

Silver & Gold
August 15th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I believe that getting older is what makes one look older.

Am I wrong?:smirk:

Xandergrammy
August 15th, 2008, 07:33 AM
It's all balderdash.

bgarrison
August 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think I might be in the minority with this opinion, but here goes.

I like long hair on all people, all sizes, genders, ages-- if that's what they want.

I do think that the size/shape/age (even youth) of some people's faces/ bodies effects what my eye finds attractive in regards to how they style and wear their hair.

To me, not all long hair down and flowing looks good on all people-- but with all the styles and toys available it seems simple to find attractive styles no matter what. I also have to say the health of the hair and how it's taken care of affects my preferences as well.

(All that is said with the understanding that this surely is just my opinion, and how people choose to wear their hair or clothes is absolutely their call, and I'm sure many people think my chioces could be better. :) And most importantly---how someone looks is about tenth on my list of What Matters in Life. :))

Forest
August 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Dukkelisa - interesting post.

FrannyG
August 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I'm 47 and although I recently had to cut off a few inches due to a colour process (:oops:), I don't plan on ever having any major hair cuts again. Ever.

There is an awful lot of pressure in our society for women over forty to cut their hair, and have a "mom cut". To my eye, it's the rare woman who can carry off the "mom cut" and remain youthful-looking. There are women who can do it, but they are the exception and not the rule in my opinion.

I just know that for me, I feel more like "myself" with longer hair and that makes me really happy. How can I not look more youthful, if I'm feeling happy? :)

I had a short haircut 10 years ago, and I swear--in many ways I think that I look younger now than I did then.

Carolyn
August 15th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I'd suggest searching around here and in the archives. There have been a boatload of threads on this topic. I think you'll find some interesting reads. And you'll find that most of us don't buy into the older women shouldn't have long hair crap. We wouldn't be here if we did :p

goodenough
August 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I think when most think of long hair, they think of between the shoulder and bsl, styled and sprayed stiff hair. I agree that this can be not stylish at times and a big hassle. I think when we think of long hair, we think of all the stylish updos, and how pretty, simple, and natural healthy, unsprayed, unfryed hair can look.

nostalgic
August 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I tend to agree a little more with bgarrison: while I think the notion of having to cut your hair past a certain age in hogwash, I do tend to find long hair that's not healthy and cared for very unattractive. That said, I'm sure no one on this site actually does that! ;)
An example: at work the other day, I saw a mom, baby, and grandma. Grandma had gray hair well down her back and had it looking very classic in a half up clip. She actually looked much prettier than her daughter! (as a side note, the HAIR on this baby girl!!!! It took over her head, it was sooo cute!).
If this notion is bugging you or causing you stress, don't let it! I hope to be one of those moms with dark hair down to her waist!

heidi w.
August 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I'm 48. I'll let my siggy pix speak for me!

heidi w.

heidi w.
August 15th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Try telling Kerry Walsh, of Beach Volleyball, currently at 2008 Beijing Olympics, representing the US along with her teammate Misty (suddenly can't recall her last name!) that she doesn't look TERRIFIC. Ms. Walsh turned 40 just yesterday!

I couldn't find a good photo of her thick braid, nor of one with her hair down. (It's not uber long, but it's long by most standards.)

heidi w.

susiemw
August 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I think I might be in the minority with this opinion, but here goes.

I don't think that goes against anything that has been
said here. This is not a one size fits all world. Long hair doesn't look good on everyone. Neither does short
hair.

I see some people out there with long hair where it just
looks awful, (thin, scraggly, fried,whatever). Same thing
with short hair, I see some people and think, ohhhh, they'd look good with long hair.

And as for needing to cut your hair as you get older, I'll do that about the time someone proves to me that cutting my hair will make my wrinkles vanish and reverse the effect of
gravity.

I prefer my hair long (but as mine is getting thinner, it's a bit dismaying, if it keeps it up, I may not like it) and I don't
give a fig what anyone else thinks. My hair has been long all my life, I'm not going to cut it now. Especially since I've found this board and am learning all kinds of new ways to braid it and put it up.... .besides, what would I do with all my newly
aquired hair toys??? LOL!

I find it interesting that so many on this board have people say such negative things to them. I have never (in many many decades ) had anyone make any comment about my hair except that "you should never cut it"... and that was very common in my teens and twenties. Unfortunately, not so much any more. But still no negative comments.
I do not understand where those people get off.

oh well, enough rambling.

Susan

truepeacenik
August 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM
define "looking older" for yourself.
I think that looking defeated, worn down and ill would qualify as making one look older (I think of that as negative stress that shows in your face- your definition might be different).

I'm a long hair as rebel sort, so of course I'm keeping length and silvers, as they come.

and have you ever SEEN the "writers" that spread that crap in fashion magazines? Faces for radio, I tell ya! : goofy:

Morag
August 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I'm 58, and just started growing mine. I expect it to be at a creditable length by the time I'm 60, and plan to keep it as long as possible.

And a friendly :wigtongue to those folks who let their choices be dictated by "general opinion"! :flower:

walkinglady
August 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Well 50 isn't far off for me and as you can see, I love my long hair. My great grandma was/is a huge inspiration for me. She had hair past her rear end and it was gorgeous. I only saw it down once and that was when my mother took it down, unbraided, and combed it for her. I was just a little girl and was shocked to see all that hair tumble out. She wore her hair long her entire life, I think I will do her proud and follow in her foot steps!

As far as comments about cutting go, I've been fortunate. The only one who has ever mentioned cutting it (to bra strap) is my mother. That was only once. One of my friends will sometimes comment about short hair making woman look younger. She has very short hair that flips up. It looks cute on her but in my opinion it does not make her look younger. Looking younger largely depends on if you feel younger, most days I feel 30 so I forget that I'm near 50.

Neriah
August 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Well, thanks for the thoughts folks.

For me, I'll always keep a good length of at least mid shoulder length.

MsBubbles
August 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hah! I got over that 'no long hair for people over xx years' thing as soon as I realized one of my hair idols was 57! She looks stunning/incredible/amazing and her hair is breathtaking.

Also, I read just yesterday on yahoo's OMG page, a comment by Brooke Shields, saying something like "I thought about cutting my hair and donating it to charity, but I could look like a soccer Mom so quickly...". Yay, go Brooke! And a bit further down the page in the "What were they thinking?" section, a picture of Eva Longoria with a just-below-chinlength bob and no make up on (really, who cares?!), and the caption said words to the effect of "Eva successfully aged herself by cutting off her hair and wearing no makeup".

So there are pro-long hair (Brooke's over 40) comments out there and I think I see them more now that I am pro-long-hair at any age.

micah_mae_
August 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie here but I just wanted to say that what made me want long hair was an older lady with classic length, pure white hair. She was so...I don't know...regal looking. Lol, she was just gorgeous! I think that older ladies these days are cutting their hair shorter and shorter so in my mind that makes them look older.

jojo
August 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM

great post!!!!!

Eireann
August 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I remember when I had hip-length hair in high school, and one of my friends' mom said I should cut it because I'm short. I didn't want to break it to her that I would still be short even if I cut my hair.

I loved my pixie cut, but frankly, I think I think I'm too old for it now. In my 20s, it was quirky, cute and stylish. In my 40s, I think it would look matronly (not that there's anything wrong with matrons.) That's my opinion, anyway.

Caldonia Sun
August 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I just came back from visiting my DD in California. There are so many more women there than here in the northeast who embrace their age and have long, beautiful silver hair. But I also saw some that truly should cut - the hair was not in good condition and was not at all attractive. But in the end, it is about how the person wearing it feels. Also, if we were meant to not have long hair at any stage of life, it would just stop growing. Culture always has some arbitrary rules as to how we should look and act, but we don't have to follow them. Enjoy!

thankyousir74
August 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I just came back from visiting my DD in California. There are so many more women there than here in the northeast who embrace their age and have long, beautiful silver hair.

Oh man I think that's the best kind of long hair, the silver/white kind that shows off your wisdom! ^_______^

spidermom
August 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I never had the patience to grow my hair long until I became "older." I don't think that long hair makes you look older. I don't think short hair makes you look younger. Wear it the way you like it, which will make you happy. Happiness makes anybody look better.

goatgal
August 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Well, I'm 60 and my hair is now at my waist. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it. I wear it for me and my dh, and we both like it just as it is. I'm sure if my mother was still alive, she'd give me a very hard time, but it wouldn't matter.

darkwaves
August 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM

For me, I'll always keep a good length of at least mid shoulder length. I find this interesting -- at your current length, do you consider mid-shoulder long?

Carolyn
August 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM

For me, I'll always keep a good length of at least mid shoulder length.I don't understand what you mean by mid shoulder length.

Juneii
August 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I think what Neriah means by mid shoulder is between SL and APL.

I think that long hair represents youth and can make a person look younger, especially if the hair is smooth and shiny. "young" hair is usually soft and shiny whereas "old" hair is usually corse and wiry.
hrm, that's my logic :)

sexyjacksparrow
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I guess it can make some people look older. However, it's a stupid rule because what suits one person - regardless of age - is not what suits another. I've seen older people with long hair that suits them and long hair that doesn't. With short hair that suits them and with short hair that doesn't. Same with younger people.

I think for me, it's a persons confidence that makes them look great. So GENERALLY whatever hair style they love (the same goes for sense of dress), feeling good will make them look confident.

Alun
August 16th, 2008, 12:26 AM
IMHO it may be exactly because long hair makes you look younger that some people think we shouldn't have it as we get older, because it isn't "acting our age". Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional!

ole gray mare
August 16th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I believe that getting older is what makes one look older.

Am I wrong?:smirk:

That was funny :D

Martha
August 16th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Yes, I have to agree with Silver and Gold. It isn't your hair length that makes you look older, it is everything else that comes with age.

The question about how long someone's hair ought to be....well, it is all down to personal choice, clearly. But in my case, I wouldn't want hair that is longer than looks appropriate for me and for my hair type. I've got fine hair and it isn't very thick. I have a high forehead, too.

So, I could grow my hair as long as it would go, but would that be the most attractive way to wear it? Probably not as it would look increasingly thin, straggly, etc.

I envy people with really thick hair that can grow long, but it isn't about how long it is but about the overall appearance, so I am just going to have to admire others! However, I am going to see if I can grow it a few inches past my shoulders and have it still in good enough shape, and enough of it, to look good. And I'm in my 40's.

zaftig2k
August 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM
It seems there is some unwritten rule that over 40-50 long hair is a no-no.

It's like it makes you 'look older'.

Thoughts on this?

I'm sure by now you have heard from enough of us "old" folks with long hair , that you have likely gotten an ear full. :)

I'm 54 and long hair doesn't make me look older. If anything I think it makes me more youthful looking. But to be honest with you...I don't what others think of my long hair. I love it as does my family, so all's well.

:)

bunnii
August 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM
IMHO it may be exactly because long hair makes you look younger that some people think we shouldn't have it as we get older, because it isn't "acting our age". Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional!

couldn't agree more :p I don't ever plan on growing up hehehe :cheese::cheese: and my long hair will help keep me young i'm sure :D:D

nutsenmai
August 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
<snip>

I envy people with really thick hair that can grow long, but it isn't about how long it is but about the overall appearance, so I am just going to have to admire others! However, I am going to see if I can grow it a few inches past my shoulders and have it still in good enough shape, and enough of it, to look good. And I'm in my 40's.

Martha, I have fine thin hair and it grows out just fine. You shouldn't assume that it won't look good based on what it's like when it's short! When I was younger I had chin-length hair that I couldn't ever imagine growing into gorgeous long locks. It was thin and fine and didn't do much. The hair I had then certainly didn't morph into what I have now... But here it is! :D

Check out my profile pics. It's fine, thin and long. Don't give up or aim low! It just takes time.

...and back to the real thread!

I too am one to think that short hair = old. All the ladies with long hair I see are so gorgeous and regal looking. I won't be cutting mine. Plus it's so easy to just put up and get out of the way when it's long.

darkwaves
August 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think what Neriah means by mid shoulder is between SL and APL. Perhaps, but no psychic here.

Neriah, where does your hair fall now? I'm getting a bit confused by this.

lawyermom
August 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
nutsenmai - I just checked out your profile pic b/c you're in AK (me too) and my 5 year old who is sitting next to me said "Holy Mackerel, Mom! Look at how long her hair is! She's like that Rapunzel!" :)

Neriah
August 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I find this interesting -- at your current length, do you consider mid-shoulder long?

No, I consider it moderate length in comparison to what I see here.

Yet the general world around me- hair stylists and friends and co-workers- seems to consider it long.

Neriah
August 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I'm sure by now you have heard from enough of us "old" folks with long hair , that you have likely gotten an ear full. :)

I'm 54 and long hair doesn't make me look older. If anything I think it makes me more youthful looking. But to be honest with you...I don't what others think of my long hair. I love it as does my family, so all's well.

:)

I am am old folk too I guess at 46.

I won't be trading in my hair length anytime soon.

Neriah
August 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/WickedNeriah/P2250407.jpg

This is what I mean by shoulder blade length.

GreenGables
August 19th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I think that the fashion industry has created this opinion. In sweden old ladys, for some reason, cuts their hair short and colors it red. OK, some look good in it, but far from everyone. I think it's a matter of self-confidence. If you're proud of your long har, and wear it with pride, you probably look good in it. I also think that elder women cut it off because they maybe can't take care of it themselves and no one else is willing to help them.

sipnsun
August 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I've stated many times on these boards that my mom is growing out her hair with me. I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but as I've stated before, she looks better than ever. Men stare at her when we walk through the mall and women make snide comments because they know she looks (and feels) better. She cut her hair off at 25 because her mother-in-law (my grandmother) told her she was too old for long hair. (Grandma has always been crabby.) My dad loves it and says he hopes she never cuts it again! So to answer your question, I don't think it makes women look older to have long hair.:)

Xandergrammy
August 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/WickedNeriah/P2250407.jpg

This is what I mean by shoulder blade length.

Look at that pretty hair, Neriah!!!

nucleardelusion
August 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I personally love seeing "older" people with long hair. It always looked sort of magical to me.

Xandergrammy
August 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I personally love seeing "older" people with long hair. It always looked sort of magical to me.

What a lovely thing to say! :flowers:

Bene
August 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
what i've noticed is that a lot of older women will chop their hair off in a mad frenzy to appear youthful... the thing is, that so many of them have done this (my mom included) that i've begun to associate short hair as an "old woman" trait... right up their with orange hair and bad makeup.

when i see an older lady with long natural hair, i think it looks beautiful

arylkin
August 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Since most women over 40 have shorter hair cuts I tend to think that that is what makes you look old, if anything! :rolleyes:

Yes!

My husband and I were just talking about this, as we were at a restaurant and looked around us and noticed that how all the women over 60 in the restaurant had variations of the exact same haircut.

I can't understand it, because if anything, it has to take longer to curl and style short hair than have long hair.

Cereus
August 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I needed this thread about now. I get a little thought every now and then that I don't fit in. Of course I never did! As if I cut my hair I would be accepted by all the other older ladies. I went to a party last night (I rarely socialize). I decided to be brave and wear my hair down. I walked in and noticed all the other women my age with short straw like hair. But as I sat at the table enjoying my margarita I realized that I was really enjoying my long, soft locks. I liked being different. Actually there was one other woman there with soft looking blonde APL hair. I over heard her telling someone that she was 51. I liked her instantly. I'm glad I wore my hair down!

ladyshannonanne
August 26th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I think about this often. I'm only 25, but someday I'm certain I'll be fretting over whether I look silly with long hair.

Whenever I see someone older with long hair (a man or woman) I usually just start smiling like crazy--especially if their hair is gray or white! It's a silly rule that you have to cut your hair when you get to a certain age. And, really, not everyone is going to like everything you do. Some people might think you should cut your hair when you reach a certain age, but that doesn't make it orthodoxy.

Solitude
August 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Recently, the newspaper had an article regarding long hair on older women. The gist said that if you are wearing it up or back all the time and not flowing, loose, then long hair is not for you. It also talked about older, thinning hair being permed to hide the thinness and that it hid nothing. :shrug:

Tressie
August 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM
When I was younger and people would ask me if I would cut my hair, I'd tell them probably not until I got older because then I'd never have long hair again. I actually did believe the "rule" but I don't know who impressed me with the notion that long-hair is taboo after a certain age! Well, as you may have concluded I came to realize that I didn't have to cut my hair at 45! Some people still think I should cut, but they refrain from telling me so for the most part.

I was in the bank one day, and a teller mentioned my hair and said she used to have long hair too, but the women she works with had prevailed upon her to cut it beause of her age! I just smiled and left. I thought about it afterward amd I had a suspicion that she wished she hadn't caved to their pressure, or maybe she was taking a "dig" at me. Regardless, who care? I have realized that I don't have to cut my hair, unless I want to! Hurray!:bigtongue::D

Elenna
August 26th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I'm glad to see old people with even shoulder length hair. Most of them have very short hair cuts. Some have lovely white or silver hair.

The short hair cuts do start looking all alike. Maybe, it is just me!

Long hair frames the face. Short hair shows up the imperfections.

I'd never forget seeing a lady with foot length salt 'n pepper hair. Her hair looked like something out of a fairy tale.

ETA: by foot length I meant down to her feet. Not 12 inches :-D

ClareDee
August 26th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I like long hair on any age.
My granny had waist-length snow white hair through her 80s and I used to love watching her tie it up.

She'd braid a small section at the front, and roll it up into a flat mini-bun on the side of her head, just at the hairline. Then she'd braid the back and roll that up into a large bun. She did that every day.

She eventually did cut the hair into a shorter style, because she was getting frail and couldn't tie it up anymore. While she was dying, and even semi-conscious, she loved to have her short hair combed. She'd smile slightly. The hair mattered right to the end.

Anne~
August 26th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Gotta laugh, 47 here 48 in October.