PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Dandruff

Kivamaki
October 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I've been dealing with dandruff for a while now and I just can't get rid of it. I've tried many shampoos, all which are 100% organic, nothing worked. Now I'm on a water only wash, which my hair is much better but I still have awful dandruff. I've done about 5 Apple Cidar Vinegar rinses now, and I just did one today, and ruffled my hair and a shower of dandruff fell out
I'm lost on what to do!! I soak my hair in acv (50/50) and let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinse.

21, male, medium hair length. Help would be seriously appreciated, this is getting bad.

melusine963
October 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
If you've tried everything organic you can, I think it's time to switch to chemical options. It's not worth being miserable. I would look for a good, medicated shampoo such as Nizoral.

TeaEarlGreyHot
October 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Both my husband and I suffer from Sebhorreic Dermatitis which makes it look like SO MUCH dandruff. My head gets tender and itchy and stings when it gets wet. I have switched us both to washing only with Suave Naturals Rosemary Mint conditioner twice a week. Then we clarify once or twice a month. Highly diluted lemon rinse after every wash. I also rub coconut oil onto my scalp before every wash and let it sit for at least an hour (sometimes over night). Mainly the less I wash and the less I use an actual shampoo on my scalp the better it gets. Even when I clarify I use conditioner first, then shampoo, then condition or deep condition again. If my hair is not feeling like it needs to be clarified I let it go as long as I can.

Coconut oil is a light antifungal which is what Nizoral is. Nizoral sometimes works for me but it then dries out my skin and hair so much I'm having dandruff from just dry skin. I had to find a balance, I can't use just any conditioner to wash my hair only Sauve Naturals works for me- and that could stop working for me at any time.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seborrheic-dermatitis/DS00984

Bottom line is that it is always a guessing game. You have to keep trying different things- and I end up wasting a ton of products in the journey to finding that balance.

Bunnysaur
October 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM
You might be a bit beyond just "dandruff" if it's that bad. I thought I only had dandruff, but it turns out I actually have seborrheic dermatitis. I've been using a shampoo specifically for dry scalp and stretching washes to every other day, and it's helped a lot.

Kivamaki
October 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I would really like to avoid chemical products. If it was a one or two time thing, that'd be alright. But I do not want to have to use it a lot or forever. Is this worth seeking a doctor to find out what is going on and hi is/herbopknion on treatments?

vamq
October 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
If it is that bad, I would go and visit a doctor before trying anything else myself.

It might be sebhorreic dermatitis, or an allergy of some kind. Better get it checked!:)