PDA

View Full Version : Does all body hair grow at the same rate?

Periwinkle
August 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I once read somewhere that we all have hair everywhere except for the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. I'm not sure if that's true, but I am sure that we all have hair in lots of places, not just our heads!

Hence my question: does all body hair grow at the same rate? Is it the same rate as scalp hair? Obviously, things like leg hair have a much shorter terminal length than scalp hair, but if you remove it, does it grow back at the same rate?

Juneii
August 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I think that leg hair and other body hair apart from our head grows at the rate. but I may be wrong. it may seem like leg hair grows faster because it grows back really quickly but it probably just seems that way. its harder to notice with long hair.
I had a teacher who shaves his head and I noticed that the hair grows back just as fast as the hairs on a person's leg.

Juneii
August 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM
eep! my bad, I misworded my first sentence.
"I think that all body hair grows at the same rate"

Darkhorse1
August 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
For me, I say yes. in regards to things that grow. When my hair goes through a growing phase, I have to also shave more, and clip my fingernails/toenails more. Funny you mention this, because I just went through a hair growth spurt and wow! My nails were growing sooo fast, and I had to keep shavin' ;)

lora410
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
For me, I say yes. in regards to things that grow. When my hair goes through a growing phase, I have to also shave more, and clip my fingernails/toenails more. Funny you mention this, because I just went through a hair growth spurt and wow! My nails were growing sooo fast, and I had to keep shavin' ;)

Same thing here. When I go through a spurt my nails, leg hair etc go nuts.

Gothic Lolita
August 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I think yes. No matter what you shave (I know some who do their arms) it grows back at the same speed as head hair.

An other question: Nails and hairs are of the same material? do they too grow at the same speed?

jojo
August 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Well my hair grows pretty quick on my head, not as fast as id like though but my under arms and leg hairs dont grow that quick i have to only shave once a fortnight there, though my nails too speed up when my hair does.

Pierre
August 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I think yes. No matter what you shave (I know some who do their arms) it grows back at the same speed as head hair.

An other question: Nails and hairs are of the same material? do they too grow at the same speed?
No they don't. I have (it's hard to tell precisely, especially on my scalp) about 30 mm of roots on scalp, 20 on beard, and 2 on my nails.

Darkhorse1
August 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I wonder if women's hair on the body/head grows more evenly than a man's. Not to be TMI, but when my cycle is due, I notice my hair goes through a growth spurt and my nails grow mega fast.

I believe nails and hair are the same, no? Dead skin cells--fingernails are just harder. I could be totally wrong on this ;)

yogachic
August 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I don't know the answer but it seems like armpit and leg hair grows back Faster.

Saranne772
August 15th, 2008, 01:57 AM
No they dont. Definately