PDA

View Full Version : How do you give hair protein?

DarkChocolate
August 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have read some blogs in which people have recommended giving your hair protein.

I eat alot of protein in the form of eggs,chicken,cheese and fish.

Is there a way to apply protein to your hair?

Gumball
August 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'd say by using products that have protein in them in some form or another (keratin, wheat protein, etc.). Some people's hair reacts really well to protein while others (myself included) don't react so well. It's worth trying to see how your hair feels about it and if it works well then keep it up!

pariate
August 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Ditto the protein conditioner idea. You could also add an egg yolk to your regular conditioner. It's full of proteins and some people find it very effective as a topical hair treatment. Just remember to separate it from the egg white - egg whites are very astringent and could dry your hair out.

DarkChocolate
August 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Ditto the protein conditioner idea. You could also add an egg yolk to your regular conditioner. It's full of proteins and some people find it very effective as a topical hair treatment. Just remember to separate it from the egg white - egg whites are very astringent and could dry your hair out.

I tried an avocado,egg mixture a while back and it did dry my hair but I also used the whole egg:) I will try just the egg yolk:)

DarkChocolate
August 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'd say by using products that have protein in them in some form or another (keratin, wheat protein, etc.). Some people's hair reacts really well to protein while others (myself included) don't react so well. It's worth trying to see how your hair feels about it and if it works well then keep it up!

I will have to check my conditioner ingredients:)

DotDotDot
August 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
You can also get protein from mayo. :)

pariate
August 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I tried an avocado,egg mixture a while back and it did dry my hair but I also used the whole egg:) I will try just the egg yolk:)

That's also how I discovered the downside to egg whites - trial and extreme error! :rolling:

kowlrea
August 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I usually use a whole egg, mixed with mayo and some VO5 con.. and apply it til it hardens and then wash out

danacc
August 16th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I will have to check my conditioner ingredients:)

Proteins are sometimes hard to spot. From Kirin's article on Protein Disaster and Recovery (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17), look for the following in the ingredients list:

Hydrolized ANYTHING, Milk, Soy, Silk, Egg, Placenta, Enzyme
And on the packaging, the following would indicate that it most likely has protein, although many "plain" conditioners include it, too:

Reconstructor, split ends, damage repair, restorative, rejuvenator

spidermom
August 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM
When I go for a trim, I get a conditioning treatment consisting of a protein treatment first, rinsed out, and followed by a moisture treatment and heat.

Patrycja
August 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I actually found a butt load of protein from Sauve naturals coconut conditioner.It's really cheap too.

My standards of a butt load of protein may be different from someone elses,btw.My hair does not react well to protein at all.I also do a recipe with avacado,egg yolk,yogart,honey and oils.I just can't do that recipe much at all since its too much protein.
You can find protein treatments at Sallys,too :)

Pursuer
August 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have also heard that Knox unflavored gelatin gives a heap load of protein as well. :)

DarkChocolate
August 20th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the responses:)

I actually applied an egg yolk to my hair on Saturday and it worked well:)
My hair is softer now however it will be a while before I actually can tell if the protein penetrated my hair:) The strange thing is that I didn't have as much hair fall as I normally do.

My next question is, how often should I do protein treatments with the egg yolk?