PDA

View Full Version : Hair accidents

ilovelonghair
March 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Spin off from hair nightmares. What kind of accidents have you had with your hair? Small or big.

My first hair accident was it being caught on fire, I have never been so fast in turning my head around to see what was going on and putting the fire out

I have had several times where I got caught on a doorhandle, or got my hair in between the car door. Last year my hair got stuck in a fan.

Alva
March 17th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Biggest hair accidents I had was having it caught fire, which happened twice!

When I was about 18 years old I was out on the streets with new years eve, some fire arrow shot right at me and set part of my hair on fire, lucky enough you could hardly see it afterwards, I did have to cut a part, into layers, but it blended it nicely because back then I had quite layered hair already.

Second time was about 4 years ago, I was trying to light a candle and my hair fell forward over my shoulder, it poofed a part of one lock away. It smelled horrible! Als then I could fix it by cutting it some. I'm much more careful now though, so wonder if those kind of accidents happen again :)

Sarahmoon
March 17th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Stuck between the strap of my rucksack, stuck on a screw of a chair, a teacher once got his glasses stuck in my hair :? and the last accident was I flipped my braid back but forgot I had put a plate with tomato sauce behind me...

zift
March 17th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I have some horrible accidents as well:(
Five years or so ago a pipe fell to my head and they have to shave some of the part to put stiches,must be ten or something can't remember but it took so much hair eek.I'm still trying to grow them back,but my length is so long ,they still haven't catched. than a year and a half or a bit more ago there was a fire at the supermarket and flames rained over my head. Burnt a few places near left shoulder length and right waist length. And the length got so dry ,how I tried to bring back the moisture!
Than about again 2 years or so ago I got lice! on my then classic length thick head of hair. Well that was a disaster too! Now that I think not the lice but the first two were life-threatening and the least I worried was my hair back than.

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Before I came here I blew my hair straight almost all the time (well poofy not straight by any means). DH and I were at a hotel and I used the blow dryer that is on the wall in the bathroom. It didn't have a cover where the hair comes out but I didn't think too much about it in pre-LHC days and I was blowing the right side of my hair close to my face and the blow dryer caught the hair and it broke it all off all down the side of my face. :taz: It took forever for it to grow out again! Shortly after I found LHC and found out blow dryers are evil and I already knew why!!! HA!

Meli
March 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Before LHC, my daily hairstyle was a low ponytail. One day I was painting some wooden boxes and when I had finished the painting and was changing clothes I noticed that I accidentally had dipped my ends in the paint... The last inches was completely covered with paint, and I had to cut about 3 inches to get rid of it... :silly:

Silver & Gold
March 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM
My hair has never been long enough to have major hair accidents but I did singe my bangs when I was a girl. I was visiting a friend and we decided to try some of her mother's cigarettes. We were leaning over the stove and lighting them on the burner when, POOF!, my bangs were significantly shortened by the flame.
The adults warned us about smoking being bad for our lungs . . . but I never knew it was bad for my hair! Now I'm paranoid just getting food out of the oven. I feel that heat on my face and I know it can't be good for my hair.

eadwine
March 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I got it stuck in the hair dryer a few times.. had to yank it out. Brrr.

thunderlilies
March 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Wow these stories are incredible! I can't think of anything horrific happening to my hair... my biggest problem seems to be when I whip my head around and my braid goes flying and hits my husband, who's behind me, or knocks something off the counter! I live a pretty mundane life... :P

spidermom
March 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I've had it snatched up in the seat belt mechanism; that was a mess. The worst hair accident was when I was sitting on the floor in the kitchen playing with my puppy. I stood up and yanked out about 8-10 hairs that had gotten stuck in a cabinet hinge. OW!

Islandgrrl
March 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM
My worst hair accidents both happened when it was knee-length. I was wearing it down and when I got in the car I got a significant part of my hair caught in the door but didn't realize it until close to 60 freeway miles later when I arrived at my destination with the bottm third of "the driver's side" of my hair a muddy, oily mess.

The other really memorable one was in a pet store. They had monkeys. Monkey + braid = bad hair day!!! I was standing with my back to this cage that had 2 monkeys in it and I was a bit too close. Monkey grabbed my braid and yanked on it, then started munching on the tail of it. EWWW !!! The little stinker managed to get the elastic off and successfully unbraided about a foot of hair and got his hands tangled in it. Much breakage and a couple of pet store guys later I finally got my hair back.

BlndeInDisguise
March 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
My worst hair accidents both happened when it was knee-length. I was wearing it down and when I got in the car I got a significant part of my hair caught in the door but didn't realize it until close to 60 freeway miles later when I arrived at my destination with the bottm third of "the driver's side" of my hair a muddy, oily mess.

The other really memorable one was in a pet store. They had monkeys. Monkey + braid = bad hair day!!! I was standing with my back to this cage that had 2 monkeys in it and I was a bit too close. Monkey grabbed my braid and yanked on it, then started munching on the tail of it. EWWW !!! The little stinker managed to get the elastic off and successfully unbraided about a foot of hair and got his hands tangled in it. Much breakage and a couple of pet store guys later I finally got my hair back.

I wonder what other people thought as they saw a big hunk of hair streaming back from your door. :D They probably wondered if it was real.

I know it's probably not funny to you, but the "monkey story" is HILARIOUS!!! :D

BrianaFineHair
March 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM
When I was 4 I let my brother, who was 6, cut my bangs. :D

Other than that, sitting in the hair dresser chair getting a perm and smelling pop corn. No one was popping pop corn at the time. Perm = smell of pop corn. You can only imagine.

It's been years since I've had a perm, of course.

Magsi
March 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Lets see,
Getting gum stuck in my hair and having to cut it out with scissors.
Dye turning my hair greenish color.
Having an allergic reaction to shampoo and about a 3rd of my hair fell out.

atlantaz3
March 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I used to volunteeer at the zoo. I had to do a rotation through the petting zoo. The llama decided it liked my aussie poo and snacked. I was missing a center section in the middle back- at least I had layers at the time. PS this is a true story - but I still think my hair stylist at the time thought I was nuts!

CopperHead
March 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
My worst experience was The Great Hotroller Tragedy. It was the early 70's and my hair was very long, around tailbone. My friend had just received hotrollers for a gift and wanted to try them out on me. These early models had big plastic spikes on them and would really stick. Needless to say, they became hopelessly entangled in my hair. She had to find sissors and cut off the spikes to get them out, and I lost a lot of hair too. Her mother was so angry at her and was yelling the whole time. I just took it in stride, but I never trusted her to do anything involving my hair again. :o

cuddledumplin
March 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I've shut it in all kinds of doors from car to washing machine; I've caught it in fans and snagged on the hinges of my hubby's glasses. Thankfully, there's been nothing too painful.

yogachic
March 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Getting my hair stepped on while I was lying on the ground, and helped up, got a chunk of hair ripped out, ouch.

Hair ripped out by hubby in bed while "sleeping". haha

Some type of slimy gummy spit or something spit in my freshly permed hair on the bus as a child, my mom had to cut it out.

waidz
March 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Lol I'm not sure if it classified as an accident, but when I was 8 years old, I cut off my long pony tail . My mom was furious. She then took me to cut my hair really short, probably around my ears. I was unhappy and cut off all the curly pieces standing up. When she got home, she showed me all the bald spots where I had held the scissors too close. I was banned from scissors and forced to have a close shaven hair-don't for months ! In my defence, there was no LHC let alone internet when I was 8 :)

I've also had bubblegum stuck in my hair that had to be cut out hehe.

HerbalAnnie
March 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Aside from perming my hair "real quick" during lunch one day..... (you have no idea what a disaster that was!)

A few years ago I decided I'd gotten my hair a little too blond, so I bought some light auburn hair color to "warm it up" a little. It turned out U-Haul Orange! I had to stuff it all up under a baseball cap so I could go buy some nice brown hair color to get rid of the bright orange.

Vela
March 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
These stories are making me laugh and flinch at the same time!
As for me, I've slammed it in car doors, snagged on random things, coat buttons, locks on doors, popcan tabs, treebranches, a lamp(don't ask). I've shut it in DVD cases and CD cases.
When I was seven I decided to give my hair a trim on my own. My low waist hair went to high waist, but only in the front. The hairdresser was impressed at how straight I got it, but evened it out.

I've layed down on the floor to play with the cat and yanked my hair, cats have gnawed on my hair too.
And today,I went to my brothers and I was playing with my nearly 2yrold nephew and he sat on my hair and I didn't notice till I tried to get up, had to lift him of my hair.

sweetkandi
March 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I think the only things that have happened to me are, getting it caught on chairs when I was in school, and having it get a little caught up in a hair dryer. cant really think of anything else though.

DragonMommie
March 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I've gotten it stuck on zippers, buttons, necklace chains, glasses and also burned it.

Most recently, got it hopelessly entangled in my necklace and had to cut it. It was underneath in the back, so it doesn't show, but still.......

SaveTheTapirs
March 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I can't believe how many people have accidentally set their hair on fire! Note to self: long hair is a fire hazard. Keep away from heat (the blowfryer) and flame. Oh well, I'll take the risk and grow my hair out anyway.

I think almost all of my hair "accidents" have been self-inflicted, haha. When I was in preschool one day I cut my own hair and blamed it on a boy. He was punished, and I still feel bad about it!

I had short spikey hair in 8th grade, and I had heard (who knows where) that rubber cement was a great way to spike your hair. You can guess what happened. I had to cut most of it out, and the rest gradually flaked off over the course of months.

Then there was my long bout with trichotillomania (hair pulling), which has been under control for about 2 years now. :happydance:

Alaskanheart
March 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM
lol these are funny. Ive had alot of disasters involving scissors , dye, perms , but the scariest one and the stupidest happend a few months ago. We just moved to our new house that has a gas fireplace, ive never had a gas fireplace before and it was cold and I wanted a fire...Well I turned it on full and used a long lighter, but aparently it wasnt long enough because a big ball of fire went at my face, my husband wasnt in the room luckily and I didnt tell him because he would have made alot of fun. Thankfully I backed up fast enough to where it only singed a few bangs and a small bit of eyebrow, but I had to go and trim the burnt hair off.You cant tell at all now, but for a minute I was panicked because ive been working so hard to take care and grow my hair the last 6 months.

Airmide
March 18th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Of course the typical ones - retracted in the seatbelt (at least twice).Something got stuck in the vacuum so I bent down to look and got my hair wrapped around the rollers. Stuck on various things - jewelry, glasses, buttons, zippers. Sat on and stepped on.

I think the top two accidents were:

I was about 15 and my hair was about classic length. I was over at a friend's house and she was babysitting a 2 year old. I was sitting in a chair and the little girl came over and was holding my braid....and then just took her feet out from under herself to swing on it!! My head was yanked back very hard, but it didn't really hurt, mostly I just thought it was funny.

The other time I was in a science class and we were doing something with these spinny little motor things. One of my spazzy friends decided it would be funny to put popsicle sticks on it, to make it look like a helicopter. Then he came over to show me, but I didn't notice right away. He was leaning in very close...and then the popsicle sticks flew off....leaving the little spinny thing spinning right into my hair!! That was the biggest knot I've ever had - probably about as big as a grapefruit and all very tightly wound up. I just sat there patiently untangling while everyone told me I'd have to cut it out. They were shocked when I got it all perfectly untangled!

ilovelonghair
March 18th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Not an accident, but I'm sure it will make some people laugh:

I used to have a very weird way of measuring my hair when I was in primary school (I already had an obsession :D ). I would take one of the longest hairs and pull it out to measure. I did this quite often. I had no idea there were other ways of doing it because there was no LHC! Still the way we measure hair (starting from the forehead) feels like cheating to me: you end up with much longer hair then you actually have.

egg99
March 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
My story did not happen to me, personally, but a friend. At the time, we were about 14/15 years old and she has BSL hair. We were in a workshop at school, making some electrical cercuit thing with a soldering iron. My friend had her hair loose, leant in to use the iron and caught her hair on it. It was amazing just how quickly the hair just fizzled and disappeared. Thankfully, she only caught a small bit of her fringe, but burnt hair really smells!

WavyGal
March 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I used to wear braces. Freshman year in high school, I went to the orthodontist. Now this was back when I was straightening my hair. Usually I wore it up in a ponytail, but that day I decided to wear my frizzy, straightened hair down to the orthodontist. I didn't think it would be a problem then. Unfortunately that day, my orthodontist used this drill that he would run along my braves. It vibrated. It felt like getting electrocuted which was bad enough, but even worse, drill's vibrations apparently created enough friction to wear my frizzy hairs grabbed it and the drill got stuck in my hair. OUCH! It was a lot more painful than it sounds here. Worse, instead of the orthodontist turning off the drill and unplugging it, they yanked the stupid thing right out of my hair. My hair is VERY thick so it hurt terribly! Yet, after that all I could do was laugh. However, it took me a long time to wear my hair down to the orthodontist after that.

WritingPrincess
March 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Aside from perming my hair "real quick" during lunch one day..... (you have no idea what a disaster that was!)
Ooooh my! A "real quick" perm! That sounds awful.
I think I have a story, but I'll have to ask WritingMum exactly how it went. She may want to tell it herself.

ycelong
March 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
About 2 or 3 yrs ago when Loreal Colour Experte first came out I decided I would try that on my hair - thought having highlights would be pretty. I used the Mahogany one - my hair turned deep purple with bright purple highlights. so I went to Sally's to find some color to fix it. It ended up so fried - i had to finally go to my stylist and have him fix it and then cut off about 8 inches over the course of several months - during which time I was still using the hair dryer and straightening iron - can you say disaster?

Vela
March 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Well today I kneeled down to pick up a nail my dad droped, I went to stand up and yanked my hair again! I also caught it in the door again. I need to start puting my hair up again. XP

Chamomile betty
March 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I posted this over at TBB while LHC was down: I went in my closet to open the fuse box and my hair got caught in hanger. It got down on my scalp and when I lifted my head it came with me.

cassie_g
March 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
In high school my friends and I worked on a joint ceramic project and one of them dripped a streak of red acrylic paint in my hair. It washed out eventually. When I was little I used fall asleep with gum in my mouth and wake up with it in my hair. Always had to be cut out.

j4zzin
March 19th, 2008, 05:59 PM
About a year ago my boyfriend and I went for a day at the lake. I had my then BSL hair in an unprotected messy bun-knot kind of deal with an elastic. After about 3 hours in and out of the lake water, my hair was a big tangled mess. My hair felt like straw, and I spent the whole ride home trying to get out all the knots and snags with a comb. It was the worst tangling I've EVER had in my hair. When we arrived back home, there was a big pile of broken-off hair from all the yanking all over the car seat. I was horrified!

My hair has been getting caught in things a lot in the last 6 months or so, including my boyfriend's and my own elbows when getting up off the floor/couch/chair/bed/etc., and I've caught it a few times in the car door.

Poolsoflaughter
March 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Wow, just reading some of these makes my story pale in comparison!shudder: Anyways, I guess the worst that's happened (knock on wood) is getting my hair stuck in zippers, or having my dh roll on it and I try to get up (ouch).

dagonlilly
March 19th, 2008, 07:04 PM
usually I just get my hair caught on things like zippers, or wooden chairs seem to have nicks that my hair gets tangled into. I have rolled the window up on my hair or shut my hair in the door.

addikted
March 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I used to be a Girl Guide, once while lighting a fire, I was kneeling and blowing the fire to make it bigger, my friend was walking behind me and tripped on a tree root or something, and knocked into me, well, I think you all can pretty much guess what happened next, my hair caught on fire, not only that, I burnt part of my right cheek and spent a few months without parts of my right eyebrow and eyelashes, I was not a pretty sight. I had to chop off about 3 inches to get rid of the damaged hair.

MadPirateBippy
March 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
You guys are going to give me nightmares. Most of my hair accidents involve car doors or seatbelts, pretty run of the mill things.

I do get it yanked on by babies if it's down or rolled over on by boyfriends/lovers/whoever is in the cuddle pile if it's not up. Hardly traumatic, kind of goes with the territory.

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
lol i get my hair caught in the fan pretty often, and rolled up in the car window, and shut im my car door

Maddy25
October 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Back when I used to curl or straighten my hair everyday, I was using a really REALLY hot curling iron (my neighbor is a hair dresser so she lent me her old one that heats up insanly). I was trying to do it fast so I could go out with my friends and I ended up burning a line straight down the side of my face. It was beat red for days and burned like crazy...lets just say I didnt look so pretty that night even with my curly hair haha.

Smitts
October 29th, 2009, 07:26 AM
At the time my hair was a lot shorter...Thank goodness!
I was playing wit fireworks with my cousin and I was holding a bottle rocket, when it shot off one of the sparks came down on my hair and sizzled it. (directly on top of head)
I had a short spot right there and had to trim it.

I use to go in the woods a lot and one time my hair got wrapped around a twig, but I got it out. :)

linda g
October 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Back when I used to curl or straighten my hair everyday, I was using a really REALLY hot curling iron (my neighbor is a hair dresser so she lent me her old one that heats up insanly). I was trying to do it fast so I could go out with my friends and I ended up burning a line straight down the side of my face. It was beat red for days and burned like crazy...lets just say I didnt look so pretty that night even with my curly hair haha.

Oh, that reminded me of an incident from my teenage years. Guess what a curling iron burn on your neck looks like? A hickey! So embarrassing!

mahoganyhorizon
October 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
My hair is BSL but I had a major accident trying to help someone get their laptop plugged in. My hair got caught in the seam of the desk (the crown. OUCH). I yelped, and reached up and carefully detangled. It was VERY painful. FORTUNATELY it only ripped out a few strands.

Leena7
October 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Most of mine are from my childhood. My mom was NOT a good hair stylist for me! Hehe. She once tried to trim my bangs for Easter and I ended up with bangs that were an inch long and crooked. She also burned my forehead with a curling iron when I was little and wanted banana curls.

The worst hair accident that has been my own fault was getting my hair stuck in a hot blow dryer. The burned hair smell is awesome....lol. Also, I used to be quite prone to getting brushes and combs stuck in my hair.

I got cornrows when I was 8 and left them in for about 4 weeks. When I took them out, about 1/4 of my hair came out with them! Thank goodness they were only done on the front half of my head instead of my whole head.

Coriander
October 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Those round brushes... I decided (when I was about 12) that I was going to give myself big waves like I'd read about in magazines. Little did I know you weren't supposed to wrap ALL your hair around the brush when you blow-fried. It took my mom about three hours to untangle it, and I ended up having to get about 4 inches cut off that particular section.

Carrie Ingalls
October 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I once when I was younger (aprox 10 yrs old) I got my hair caught in a Kitchen Aid stand mixer while it was running. It ripped a good sized chunk of hair out. Another time I ran out of the house and caught my hair on a screw in the storm door. That also ripped out a chunk of hair, though not quite as much as the mixer incident.

Coriander
October 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I once when I was younger (aprox 10 yrs old) I got my hair caught in a Kitchen Aid stand mixer while it was running. It ripped a good sized chunk of hair out.

Holy OW!

Anyone for French Braid Biscotti? :lol:

adiapalic
October 29th, 2009, 11:41 AM
One reason I'm happy high school days are long gone -- the desk/chair sets had flat screws on the back of the chair that ripped little bits of my hair out just about everyday.

pepperminttea
October 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
My mother's glasses have an ornamental bit on the bottom rim, that every time I hug her, my hair gets hooked under. Before I learnt how to gently unhook it, I lost many a hair. :( I'll be glad when she replaces those frames.

kittensoupnrice
October 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hmm.
Well, aside from the usual blow-fryer munching, bubble-gum fiascos, and perms, the only other thing I can remember being repeatedly a disaster was my penchant for climbing pine trees when I was little.
Ever gotten pine-sap in your hair?

JamieLeigh
October 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I have had several incidents in which my hair and a candle(s) met and my hair came out the worst. None lately, since I've gotten past TB, thankfully!

GeoJ
October 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
One time I went caving and had my hair in a low braid (I had to wear a helmet and had not yet figured out what to do with my hair). The braid got caught beneath my knees more times than I counted, dragged along the cave floor, and completely coated with manganese oxide. My hair looked horrible but at least was salvageable.

More recently I was hiking with my hair in a nice protective bun, but I forgot to wear a bandanna. I misjudged my height (hooray- I am not as short as I thought I was) and got my crown tangled up in a bunch of thorny tree twigs. Ouch! I had to undo my bun and kind of let the twigs comb my hair as I pulled away. I only lost a few hairs.

Niftytiffs
October 31st, 2009, 08:10 AM
My mother used to have knee length hair that was absolutely dead straight. She went swimming once (I think this was before she married my father so would have been 18 or younger) in the sea off the south coast of England. Somehow she managed to get some crude oil from a small oilslick into her hair. They were unable to get the oil out of her hair so she went from knee length to bsl that day!

Tiffers

AnaGeorgette
October 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM
Once I was trying to redye my hair but hadn't realised that the dye was already way overdue and it turned my hair completely black! I was in high school at the time so I was still living at home and my mom was absolutely against me dying my hair dark. And let me tell you, my mom is freaking SCARY when she gets mad. So I was absolutely terrified and had to try and hide it from her for a day by wetting my hair and hiding it under a hat in a bun until my boyfriend managed to sneak me a box of bleach and a red hair dye after school on the way home. I still have no idea how I got out of that mess with so little damage to my hair....

And my mom never found out ;)

ladycatpurrs
October 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM
I have read all these stories and my hair will never see itself out of a bun again. LOL!!

Vianka
October 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
My biggest hair accident was using a foam cap for applying highlights. I thought I was being really clever by using a store bought highlighting kit and buying a foam cap separately to pull the hairs through instead of the plastic cap that came with the kit. Well, the highlighting mix seeped through the foam cap and I had a huge patch of bleached hair in the front. In order to fix it I had to dye all of my hair a much darker color.

Vianka
October 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM

Ouch! It reminds me of the time my husband moved my curling iron around (he was annoyed I was taking up too much space in the bathroom) and when I was not wearing my glasses I picked it up by the wrong end!