PDA

View Full Version : What styling tool (that you gave up) do you miss?

lora410
August 14th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I have to say that I miss a crimper (I just saw Tyra Banks hair crimped, and I love it) although I haven't used one in forever, and I miss my hair dryer and my round styling brush. Although i'd never go back to blowfrying all the time, sometimes the longing hits once in awhile. What hairtool(s) do you miss?

harley mama
August 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Probably my brush. I use to love to brush my hair and scalp.
My scalp loved it but, not my curly hair.

I don't really miss the heat styling knowing how bad it damages hair.

ladystar
August 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
My blow dryer and iron. Although I still use it every 2 months or so.

Patrycja
August 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
My blowdryer :( I miss blowdrying to get more of a sleek look.

serabelle
August 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
My blow dryer - although I have to admit that if I'm in a pinch, I'll cheat.

jivete
August 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I miss my flat iron and curling iron. Never quite got good at the blow drier...

Arctic
August 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I miss my velcro rollers. I should invest into hairfriendly ones some day soon :)
Also, I miss back combing, if that counts as "styling tool"...

Curlsgirl
August 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I guess I miss my blow dryer the most though I still use it for my bangs and to diffuse occasionally. I blew my hair straight for almost my whole life until LHC so sometimes I miss that straighter look!

eadwine
August 15th, 2008, 05:20 AM
EEEEEEVERY now and then (and that is once in three blue moons) I would curl my hair a little using a curling iron. That thing I do miss because it was so easy to curl that way :)

hennared
August 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I miss my curling iron, too. My hair is wavy, and not always in a good way; the curling iron allows me to straighten and re-route my long wavy bangs! But I've nearly entirely given it up, since I don't want the heat damaging my hair.

LilyMunster
August 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hair dryer. Makes my hair tamer. Easier to style. Haven't used one for a year and a half. Before that it was over a year as well. I use a blowdryer for funerals and weddings.
The one I have broke, and I never replaced it.
I can get nearly the same smoothness w huge rollers and large amounts of time. :D

ssjhotau2
August 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Everyone says they miss the blowdryer. Does it only damage hair because of the heat? I've recently bought one by BedHead and it has a cool setting that feels more like sitting infront of a fan. Is that still damaging?

I've only just started caring for my hair seriously within the last month. I'm really going to miss the curling iron.

lapushka
August 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I don't actually miss my blowdrier, because I still use one, not all the time but it is very handy to have. I don't want to wait 6 to 8 hours for dry hair, esp. not in winter... sorry. I bought one that has ion technology (didn't believe that at first) & a cool shot. It has 3 heat settings, 2 speeds, and it *greatly* reduces the heat. The thing only blowdries warmish (on the hottest setting it's half the heat of a regular blowdrier) to cool. I had a small almost travel size blowdrier before that and the air was so hot that steam actually came off my hair! Yikes! No way!

I have this one BTW (also has a diffuser which I love!):
http://www.braun.com/de/products/beautycare/haircare/hairdrying/creation.html

RedCardigan
August 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I really miss my flat iron. It made my hair look so good, fried it to smithereens,but it looked so good.

Kirin
August 15th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I miss occassionally my blowdryer, but in the summer thats not a problem. I know it will have use here in the winter. Sorry but wet hair and -17 degrees in Connecticut is NOT happening. I only use the low / cool settings though.

my curling iron/hot rollers. Those I know are going to see some action. Wet setting takes way too long, and painful to sleep on, hair is STILL WET in the morning.

WavyGirl
August 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I can honestly say I don't miss anything. I did miss my flat iron when I first stopped using it, but it's been over 2 years now and I've gotten used to the way my hair looks and behaves naturally. I enjoy it so much more now, than I ever did before.

Nightshade
August 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM
My BBB. The healthy hair just loves the thing, but those last few inches of tattered ends just hate the thing. The sensation of brushing is so lovely, but at least I'll get it back once the ends are all grown out and trimmed off :)

Finoriel
August 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I miss... I miss... I occasionally miss the good old hair-un-friendly elastics, the ones with metal and the rubber-elastics showing. I hate to say that, but they just hold up a ponytail best. The hair-friendly ones are not as strong as those have been. And I sometimes miss the days of fast and unworried brushing with one of those ball tipped brushes. Shocking :wink:

RavenDream
August 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM
My brush. I used to constantly brush my hair as part of my hair care routine. Now it's a rare thing that I do.

Chromis
August 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I can't say I miss anything. My old brush was very hair unfriendly, but honestly I much prefer my BBB and wooden comb anyhow (I mostly use the BBB on my scalp and first two thirds of my hair just to smooth it). I never used or wanted to use heat appliances even before LHC. I used to always pony tail my hair in a scrunchii, but really it's too long for that now and I like all the updos and braids I have learnt here far better!

mmccleary
August 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I miss my flat iron so much. Straightening makes my hair look so polished. But it broke off all the time and I had millions of white dots & split ends, so I am not going back to it. :(

peachrose
August 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I miss my flat iron quite a bit... It certainly made my hair looked polished and longer too, since I am a wurly. Might use it once and awhile for special occassions or when I want to shock myself by seeing my new length but I must say after only a couple weeks of CO my hair is in heaven!!

AmselJoey
August 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Here's another vote for the blowdryer and flat iron. :waving:

I miss how pretty, polished, and straight they made my hair look, but I definitely do NOT miss how long it took to get it that way and how sweaty it would make me get in the summer. It's soooo nice to be able to get out of the shower and go. Plus my waves have been looking better than ever now.

In highschool I would have to give myself at least 1 and a half hours to get ready in the morning AND we lived on the opposite end of town from the darn school so I would be up super early. Not being a morning person this sucked big-time!

If my hair was in better condition I would most likely still use them once in awhile, but the ends are too damaged to risk it. They need all the pampering and love they can get! :)

AmselJoey :happydance:

kate46
August 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I don't miss anything because the only thing I used to use was a blow dryer but only to blast my hair dry as quick as possible, I didn't have a clue how to use it to style my hair :confused:. I gave my dryer to my sister and let my hair air dry now, it only takes half hour or so to dry so I have no idea why I needed to blast it dry in the first place :rolleyes:. As for curling irons, flat irons etc. well hmmmm I've only just sussed out how to use my 20 yr old pressure cooker so I guess I might just give them a try 20 yrs from now ;).

D-eath
August 18th, 2008, 03:39 AM
None of them. I am happy with that things I got.

manderly
August 18th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I don't miss anything, because if I really feel like using it, I will.

What's the fun of having long hair if I have to restrict myself of doing things that I think make it look great? Of course, I'm also not aiming for terminal like some are, so I'm not looking to totally baby my hair either :)

I rarely use my hairdryer, but I don't feel guilty when I do!

Periwinkle
August 18th, 2008, 06:31 AM
My brush. I now only brush my hair very occasionally and mostly use a comb or my fingers. It's far gentler on my hair and it makes the waves look so pretty, but I love the feeling of brushing and the way it makes my hair so silky smooth :(

ZaBasDa
August 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I was never big into spending lots of time styling my hair. I've always been more of a let my hair do whatever it wants even if it looks bad kind of person. I semi-miss my curling iron because it was ever so useful for fixing the curls that went all wonky from sleeping on my hair.

jojo
August 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I miss my hair dryer and straighteners but my hair is a lot better for not using them. Although I do at times very rarely use them, especially if I want my hair to feel longer!

Tangles
August 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
None because I'm enjoying learning to care for my hair properly. My hair is just too fragile for heat (doesn't look fragile, but it is). I still own a blowdryer and flat iron and use them once in a blue moon.

yrrebwartsymssi
August 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
i miss my hot comb... the first few times i got my hair hot combed it looked so gorgeous... then it started breaking off... thats why i will not go back to it!!! but i miss it for sure lol

SaraMatty
August 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
On occasion I miss my hot rollers. Back when my hair was shorter that was the only way to make it presentable for more formal occasions, and even though my hair is ridiculously resistant to holding a style of any kind, I had finally found a method that gave me curls or waves that lasted the whole day. I've got rag roll kind of curlers now that I use once in a blue moon, but I've yet to replace my curler set that died last year. Oh well. Don't need it that much anyway :)
The pseudo-appliance I miss most is having a guy around who's been trained in really, really good scalp massages. I don't miss the guy, but I do miss the utility and willingness to rub my neck, shoulders and head for an hour at a time :)

prosperina
August 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM
As I was never really a styling tool or product user, I don't really miss them. Once in a blue moon I miss my straight iron, but then I remember how long it takes to do my hair, and then I don't. Plus, it makes me hot and sweaty. I have given myself permission to flat iron once or twice a year, but it always seems I have better things to do. And, I think my natural wave looks better anyway.

Soniasonia
August 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Miss my flat iron. Takes me atleast 3 hours to straighten my hair to get out the waves cause my hair is really thick. I just dont have that kind of time:(

Astraea
June 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I used to occasionally miss the stove flat iron. It would straighten, flip the ends and give my hair the appearance of healthy shine. But it also incinerated my hair, led to hairfall and made me smell like a smouldering charcoal. It's better we're divorced.

LadyTheta
June 17th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I miss my ages-ago hooded hair dryer!

spidermom
June 17th, 2012, 05:06 PM
The flat iron, without a doubt. I love long, smooth, 1A hair.

LaFlor
June 18th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I miss my curling iron... I love curling my hair away from myface to get the 70's look :(

BrightEyes
June 26th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I miss my flat iron. It made my hair so smooth and magically hid the shorter frizzy hairs that I now know is damage:(. I will say that now that I don't use it those shorter hairs are finally growing, yay!!

I also miss my blow dryer, although I still use it on occasion.

arcane
June 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I miss my flat iron. I will break down every few months and use it for a week or two. I just love how my hair looks and feels when it's straightened.

RileyJane
June 26th, 2012, 09:58 PM
i would prob miss my straightener, but only when it actually got allll my hair to be straight. normally it would only leave it straight for an hour, before my curls kicked in :rolleyes:

Lightningfury
June 26th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Shampoo. Getting my entire length of hair all soapy using lots of soap to make it all bubbly. Rinsing in scalding hot water.

Now I CO mostly and wash my scalp with a sulfate-free shampoo about once every few weeks. No more bubblies

Zesty
June 27th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I don't really miss anything because I never really used anything, or at least not effectively. I was bad at blow drying, I stopped straightening my mostly-straight hair in high school, my hair would never hold a curl from a curling iron for more than a few hours. I guess I'm a lucky LHCer who isn't tempted by many "hair sins." ;)

HintOfMint
June 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM
My flat iron. It wasn't just the result that I loved, it was the process. Sliding the iron down each section of hair, watching it transform. *Shivers* god, that's good. :p

Thank goodness my blowdryer and flat iron are in storage for the summer!

LadyLongLocks
June 30th, 2012, 07:11 AM
A curling iron. It was fun for a quick style change. I bought a nice ceramic one and threw away my old bad ones, I still only used it 2 times in 5 years.

aggie_deirde
June 30th, 2012, 08:20 AM
At first I messed the hair straighner but now I don't miss any hair tool.Au naturel is so much prettier on me now that the layers are getting longer :)

Puertoricangirl
July 6th, 2012, 01:09 AM
My flat iron :( I didn't straighten my hair much at all but I would love to straighten it every once in a while to see the true length!

Puertoricangirl
July 6th, 2012, 01:12 AM
i would prob miss my straightener, but only when it actually got allll my hair to be straight. normally it would only leave it straight for an hour, before my curls kicked in :rolleyes:

I know the feeling! lol

minxe
July 6th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I miss my curling iron sooo much. I use it every once in a while if I'm going to go out, but I've been doing pincurls and I've found them to be a lot more effective and a lot less damaging so I'm getting over it!

californiagirl
July 6th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I sometimes miss my flatiron. It just made my hair so much straighter and less frizzy, and the appearance of it being so much longer.

aisha.christine
July 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I miss my blow-dryer. I loved the lift I could get from blow-drying my hair upside down.

ravenheather
July 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Hair dryer, but not too badly.

Diamond.Eyes
July 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I do miss my 1" curling iron, but I have found less damaging methods to curl my hair and these methods leave my hair a lot softer and shinier than a curling iron would. :p

evieisocoolike
July 9th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Straightener- I can curl/wave my hair with other things, or I can just leave as be and scrunch a bit. But I can't straighten as easily!

Mrsbaybeegurl
July 9th, 2012, 01:32 AM
My flat iron!!! I still take it out a couple times a year and use it on setting 2 now (it goes from 1-30) I used to turn it on 30, with no heat protectant...yikkkkkkes! I only used it once this year so I do it as a treat but I really miss it, if it had no damaging capabilities I would use it daily lol

Dars
July 9th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I do miss my straightener sometimes, mostly because I spent $300 on it and hardly used it because I found LHC shortly after.

Lady Winchester
May 2nd, 2023, 03:29 PM
My plastic bun maker. It looks something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HugeStore-Plastic-Holders-Styling-Accessories/dp/B07PX4G953

Still have it, just haven't used it in years (it works best if your hair isn't too long, perhaps around arm pit level. Any longer will be too much of a nuisance, which is probably why I stopped using it)

mochichichi
May 2nd, 2023, 08:10 PM
I used to curl my hair on special occasions. I really like how it looks but I think my hair is long enough now the weight would pull it mostly straight, and it never held great anyways. I never bought one, my mom did it for me in high school (my HS graduation was the last time it was curled).

lapis_lazuli
October 29th, 2023, 07:16 PM
Probably curling iron, even though I used a straightener way more pre-LHC. I love how ringlets at the ends of my hair look, which I can sometimes achieve by just wetting them down and letting them dry wavy, but it's more reliable and neat when done with a curling iron.

In fact, I did give in and do it for my graduation a couple years ago, after a loooot of heat protectant spray... :couch:

ETJ CURLS
October 29th, 2023, 11:24 PM
I have two Tangle Tamer Max brushes that I stopped using since they tore up my ends terribly. If my hair was 100% virgin, they'd likely be fine, but my highlights are a bit high maintenance at the ends.

I do quite miss it, since those were the first curly hair wet brushes I discovered that made detangling a breeze once it started to get long and the wide toothed combs I had were starting to just snap off and break in my hair.

Simone_Fatale
December 6th, 2023, 09:54 AM
My flat iron. Haven't used it since 2018 and what I love about it is the smoothed down cuticle look and feel that it gives. But I love my hair too much to use it.

vanillacake
December 29th, 2023, 07:17 PM
My hair straightener. It is old, with no heat adjustment other than low or high, and the heat setting got out of whack (burnt hair smell even with heat protectant, which it never did before). Luckily I used it only on my bangs and I don't observe any damage on them. But the straightener is getting thrown out now. I do like the look of my hair when it is straightened though!