PDA

View Full Version : Terminal length on grey hair?

Martha
August 14th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Does anyone know if the terminal length on grey hair is shorter to that of hair with colour?

Thank you!

Fia
August 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Should not be in theory as terminal length is terminal length no matter what. I do personally believe there might be a bit of slowing down in growth with age (as all regenerative abilities - cells, body's ability to heal etc. - slow down as we grow older) that could lead to a shorter terminal length over time.

jojo
August 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I agree that grey hair should grow to terminal length the same as any colour.

I know of some people who went grey pretty early on in life like late teens and still have very long hair and also evidence would be purely anecdotal due to people dying their hair, as well as the numbers of people in the real world who grow to extreme lengths being rare; its therefore a case of suck it and see!

Good luck, I believe nothing is impossible to achieve if we set our minds to it.

Periwinkle
August 14th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Terminal length is genetic, and so surely is 'hard-coded' when your'e born and will never change?

EdG
August 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the board Martha!

I have grays down to my very ends. The gray hairs don't seem to have problems growing as long as the pigmented hairs. :)
Ed

Dianyla
August 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Terminal length is genetic, and so surely is 'hard-coded' when you're born and will never change?
It is genetic, yes. However, the way that a specific gene is expressed can and does change throughout life. For example, many people with dark brown or black hair color (determined genetically) do not produce the melanin pigment until late childhood. So as children they are bright blond towheads, because the gene to produce color is not activated yet.

I have grays down to my very ends. The gray hairs don't seem to have problems growing as long as the pigmented hairs. :)
Ed
Ah, but you already had lots of greys before you reached terminal length, right?

trolleypup has mentioned to me that the grey hairs he sheds are shorter than the black hairs. Given that he's already at terminal without much grey now, it will be interesting to see if his terminal length changes as he turns fully silver.

OTOH, it can also be confused with the general deterioration of hair that happens as people get older. Hair grows slower, and may be more fragile, both of which reduce terminal length but may have nothing to do with depigmentation. :shrug:

Martha
August 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm interested because I just started getting grey hair above my ears and it seems like it grows faster than the rest of my hair -- well, of course, it is more noticeable! So I asked about it on another forum and someone thought that hair in that area grows faster than other places in your head and that the area in the front of your scalp usually has a shorter terminal end anyway.

I've just started doing henna and that totally takes care of the grey. In fact, it is kind of nice because you get strawberry blond highlights, but I do notice some ODD texture and that the grey seems to have its own wild ideas, and that they are shorter than the rest of my hair, which isn't so long anyway (comes just above my shoulders).

sipnsun
August 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
This is a great question, since I quit bleaching my hair last year I've noticed a lot of gray hairs popping up. I never thought about that making a difference in my terminal length. EdG really gives me hope that it will keep on growing!

EdG
August 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Ah, but you already had lots of greys before you reached terminal length, right?

trolleypup has mentioned to me that the grey hairs he sheds are shorter than the black hairs. Given that he's already at terminal without much grey now, it will be interesting to see if his terminal length changes as he turns fully silver.

OTOH, it can also be confused with the general deterioration of hair that happens as people get older. Hair grows slower, and may be more fragile, both of which reduce terminal length but may have nothing to do with depigmentation. :shrug:Yes, I've had grey hairs for many years and have only recently reached terminal length.

I have noticed that the thickness of my hair at classic length is less than it was a decade ago. With age, fewer hairs seem to be able to reach really long lengths, and the percentage of grays is noticably increasing. I'm not sure if the two are correlated. I'll probably know more in another decade. :D
Ed

MeMyselfandI
August 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
My maternal grandmother, had at least hip length white/grey hair with very few blacks in it. I do know that her hair tappered, which know is what I would call fairy tale ends.

Grey hairs grow faster then regular hairs, so in my mind it will be easy for them to reach the terminal length of the other hair, way before the rest of the hairs have dropped off to get al white long terminal hair.

harpgal
August 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I do personally believe there might be a bit of slowing down in growth with age (as all regenerative abilities - cells, body's ability to heal etc. - slow down as we grow older) that could lead to a shorter terminal length over time.
Fia!!! What a pleasant surprise! I am so happy to "see" you!

Now about the age thing....I am not 80 years old yet, but at 60 I have noticed no difference at all in speed of growth or thickness. I also have white strands all the way to the bottom and they are much coarser and stronger. An entire head of those puppies would make my day! :D

trolleypup
August 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Although some of my silvers don't shed until they get to the full 42". *shrug*

Dianyla
August 14th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Although some of my silvers don't shed until they get to the full 42". *shrug*
Well I fully intend to stick around until the transition's complete. In the name of research, y'know! :inlove:

trolleypup
August 15th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Well I fully intend to stick around until the transition's complete. In the name of research, y'know! :inlove:
*sheds some long silver hairs on kitty*