PDA

View Full Version : Hearty thanks to Madora! ;) re: Baby oil for my hair.

LadyTheta
October 12th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hello, All!

I am so glad that LHC is back-up-&-online again!! I've missed you all!
Many thanks to the many persons who worked hard & long to get the favored-forum back online again! Yay. Kudos. :cheese:

Meanwhile, during all our time-off/off-forum, I've gotten to use baby oil/mineral oil ($1 @ Dollartree, US) after a couple of hairwashings.

Wow.
I'm so pleased and impressed with my results. :cool:
I'd wholly 'resisted' the idea of putting anything 'petroleum-byproduct-based' on my hair or skin, well --- for over 4 decades now --- since I was a teenager.
I've been eagerly trying to get online all week, to post a special thanks to especially Madora, for your simple message, over & over again on here, to "try mineral oil/Baby Oil, as a best-option detangler."

De-tangling is always an ordeal for me, and nothing since "TAME" creme rinse when I was a child, has made such a difference for me with my tangly-prone hair. It's also given an added-benefit of 'root-lift' for me, with my hair. (Your own hair texture & experience may of course vary.) I'm enjoying bigger, lusher, fuller waves --- and with the drier Autumn air down here, my updo is so much moreso luscious, lovely, nicer-fuller-curvaciousness , & 'feminicious', that I feel ever so much better about myself and my hair these days as a result --- less likened to feel like "a little ol' lady with a gray, wiry-frizzy, frazzled, fraying, topknot"!! --- (know what I mean?? :rolleyes:)

Much appreciation, Madora!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Best regards,
Theta :o

itdontmatter48
October 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Are they both the same? Or could we use either/or? I would be so happy to have the cure for the tangles, since it is my biggest difficulty. Ty for the idea. Any way, how did you actually use it/ Rinse it out? etc

twoLs118
October 12th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Glad you are getting good results with mineral oil!! I just started using it as well (after lovely ladies on here suggested it) and i love the results i get too!

LadyTheta
October 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Are they both the same? Yes, same. Baby oil has added fragrance.
Or could we use either/or? Yes, either, or. Baby oil cheapest. Don't buy a big bottle! of either! Little goes a long way!
I would be so happy to have the cure for the tangles, since it is my biggest difficulty. Mine also, lifelong.
Ty for the idea. Thank our ever-present, ever-trustworthy Madora!
Any way, how did you actually use it/ Rinse it out? etc
Per Madora's instructions, I applied to my clean, conditioned, still-wet hair ... my hair required more liberal use of baby oil than Madora's hair ... and then gently, I finger-combed my hair, starting from the ends, working slowly, gently, upwards to fingercomb from roots out to ends, and applied more to seal-in mositure to the last 6-8" of my hair and ends --- then and only then, I wide-toothed/shower-toothed-combed all of my hair, to further detangle. NO RINSE OUT of the baby oil.

I then made a gentle and loose-twist of my hair, atop my head, and gently, loosely secured with hair sticks, to allow it to dry as much as possible before bed.
(I live in a subtropic climate, thus happen to use a box-fan year-round at the end of my bed, which helps me to keep cool & comfortable --- which also affords a gentle, cool-air-dry benefit for my hairdrying process before bed, watching tv, being online, reading a book, or whatever before sleep.

Good luck, itdon'tmatter! Because you do matter! ;)

Theta

Madora
October 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Are they both the same? Or could we use either/or? I would be so happy to have the cure for the tangles, since it is my biggest difficulty. Ty for the idea. Any way, how did you actually use it/ Rinse it out? etc

Mineral oil is also known as baby oil. The best type to use is mo that contains the oil plus a fragrance. Additives have been known to cause breakouts (allergic reactions). Johnson and Johnson makes baby oil (be sure to check that the product contains only the oil plus a fragrance. J and J makes more than one baby oil product).

Application:

One or two drops on a plate.
Use a cotton baby swab and coat it thoroughly in the oil.

Apply the swab to your palms and fingers.

Run your palms/hands down your hair several times until most of the sheen has been removed.

Works best on DAMP (not dripping wet) hair. Can also be used on dry hair.

Use it sparingly!!! It is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, and is washed out easily in the next shampoo.

Moisturizes your hair, helps tame frizzies, and is a super detangler!

More about it here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Mineral Oil works best on hair that has been clarified first.

Lady Theta, I'm so glad MO worked for you. Ktani, who first told me about MO, knew whereof she spoke!

LadyTheta
October 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Thank you, Madora, for your method and the link to the baby oil/mineral oil thread, as well as thanks/credit to ktani!

P.S. The US $1 one @ Dollartree, is just like J&J, "mineral oil, fragrance" only, no other additives. Other additives may prove problematic, for some. Your experience may vary, of course.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I've used it on dry ends Madora suggested it to me when my ends were shedding from the cold winter air. I like the lavender one and cocoa butter. I too get mine at the Dollar Tree.

Delila
October 12th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I give in, I give in.

I've been having tangling issues lately in a major way, so I'm beginning a baby oil experiment, just to see what happens.

Not sure why I resisted this idea for so long, but it isn't even as though I need to buy any just to experiment. (we use a dab of baby oil to keep our bathroom countertops and sinks looking shiny.)

Thanks Madora, and everyone else, for spreading the knowledge.
:)

~honeyflower~
October 12th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I also tried this when the server was down. Thanks to Madora,my ends literally feel like silk I also found that it helped with static too! Now,if only I could remember to take out the mineral oil when I get out of the shower; that would be great!

Sunny_side_up
October 12th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I tried this a couple weeks ago after reading one of Madoras posts and works a treat! Thank you!:)

kitcatsmeow
October 12th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Ooooh the magically powers of baby oil how I love thee!

starlamelissa
October 12th, 2012, 02:22 PM
baby oil is amazing in my fine hair. i have been using it after every hair wash for 8 months and the results are consistantly amazing. in the winter I have been putting an extra droplet on my ends when they are dry to prevent static.

LadyTheta
October 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Yay, Yay, Yay !!! :)
How marvelous that so many of us have-newly-tried-Baby Oil/mineral oil, since LHC was so long offline, and we're reporting in now with our thanks, appreciations, and Happy Dances !!

;)
Theta

AspenSong
October 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I think I may need to jump on this bandwagon and give it a try.
I have been having SUCH tangle issues with my hair and nothing is helping much and honestly, I love my Jojoba oil - but it's gone up like $3 a bottle from the previous price, at several stores here in town lately and if BO works and it's cheaper...I'm ALL for that!

starlamelissa
October 12th, 2012, 06:19 PM
try baby oil! do it do it! I recommend classic johnson's with the pink cap!

LadyTheta
October 12th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I think I may need to jump on this bandwagon and give it a try.
I have been having SUCH tangle issues with my hair and nothing is helping much and honestly, I love my Jojoba oil - but it's gone up like $3 a bottle from the previous price, at several stores here in town lately and if BO works and it's cheaper...I'm ALL for that!

Yay, AspenSong!! --- Do it! You may be indeed very glad you did, as am I!

P.S. I am Coloradan !! ... Denver/Boulder/SanLuisValley --- 'displaced' economically to the Gulf Coast South, x 9 yrs now!! (Humidity!! Arrrghhh!! :( )

Sincerely,
Theta ;)

LadyTheta
October 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Dollartree $1 = same as J&J!

Theta ;)

starlamelissa
October 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Ladytheta, I'm all about my local dollartree! Thanks for the tip!

LadyTheta
October 12th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Ladytheta, I'm all about my local dollartree! Thanks for the tip!

You bet and you're most welcomed, starlamelissa! :cheese: Bravo!

All the best to you,
Theta ;)

AspenSong
October 13th, 2012, 05:47 PM

I picked up a small bottle today at Target! Figure I'll give it a go tomorrow or tonight!

AspenSong
October 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Yay, AspenSong!! --- Do it! You may be indeed very glad you did, as am I!

P.S. I am Coloradan !! ... Denver/Boulder/SanLuisValley --- 'displaced' economically to the Gulf Coast South, x 9 yrs now!! (Humidity!! Arrrghhh!! :( )

Sincerely,
Theta ;)

Yep, going to try it tonight or in the morning! Excited to see how it goes! :)

Well hello fellow Coloradoan! I'm here in Littleton, but born and raised down south in Durango.
I feel for you being not only misplaced, but in a humid place! haha.
I lived in TN near family with my Dad for a couple years and needless to say I am NOT a humidity fan and when we got back home, I was so happy to not feel sticky anymore. lol

MrsGuther
October 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I recently started using a few drops of baby oil after I wash my hair. I love the results! I think it makes my hair feel softer and adds a nice shine to it.

PrairieRose
October 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I tried Baby oil once and felt my hair was weighed down. I don't think my hair is very absorbent. Do any of you think that would make a difference? I have been having a lot of detangling and shedding issues too. I am wondering if I might give it another try.

Madora
October 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I tried Baby oil once and felt my hair was weighed down. I don't think my hair is very absorbent. Do any of you think that would make a difference? I have been having a lot of detangling and shedding issues too. I am wondering if I might give it another try.

Perhaps you might try clarifying your hair first with a clarifying shampoo. Then afterwards, try 3 drops of mineral oil to help with detangling (do it on damp, not soaking wet hair).

Mineral oil is very lightweight so you don't use a lot of it.

To help with the application, put the 3 drops on a plate, then take a cotton swab and coat it thoroughly with the oil. Then apply the swab to your palms and fingers.

Run your hands through your damp hair several times (until most of the sheen is gone from your hands).

Then detangle slowly and gently with a wide tooth comb.

Like any other oil, if you use too much, it will weigh down your hair. Use it sparingly!

Silverbrumby
October 16th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Dam, I had forgotten the baby oil. I'm going to try it again.

proo
October 17th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Does MO work on dry, as in not wet, hair as a moisturizer?

LadyTheta
October 17th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Does MO work on dry, as in not wet, hair as a moisturizer?

Sorry, proo,, mineral oil/baby oil will not in fact work as a moisturizer on dry hair.
The baby oil/mineral oil itself is not a 'moisturizer' oil.
Its action serves to help 'seal in" moisture/hydration already present in the hair shaft. Make sense?

Best regards,
Theta ;)