PDA

View Full Version : Argus Designs is CLOSING?

MyFireElf
March 17th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I long for a titanium hair pin, and I check Argus Designs periodically in the hopes they'll resume sales. Just now I noticed this:

Update: Argus Designs end of an era 14 years.. (http://www.argusdesigns.com/argusdoc/ab_argus.html)
In 2005 Argus Designs went dormant due to Shaun being deployed overseas in support of OIF. In 2007 it was decided to liquidate the partnership. Argus Designs will be closing for good in the Spring of 2008. Our final project will be the final sponsoring of the MAXIM Hot 100 for final inventory items. The MIL-SPEC (http://www.argusdesigns.com/products/military/mil_spec.html) hair accessory line is being donated to the MWR Corporate Partnership Branch for the female Soldiers currently supporting Operation Iraqi / Enduring Freedom. We sincerely thank everyone that has been a part of the concept over the past 14 years, it was truely a pleasure.

How long has that been up there? Am I the last to hear about it? Either way, how sad!

Hypnotica
March 17th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Naw.....I never got a chance to order from them.

PatGear
March 17th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Oh, that's such a bummer. They have some really cool items.

k_hepburn
March 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM
That is such a shame - I too was keeping their bookmark, hoping they would come back into business at some stage in the future.

katharine

nastasska
March 17th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Oh No How awful

Guenever
March 17th, 2008, 02:40 AM
What?? Closing? Nooooo...
I'd been bookmarking this site since last fall and patiently waited for them to be back in business.. and now when they should've been back online they're closing..? *sigh* :(
I really wanted some of their pretty forks.. *sniff*

*...erasing the bookmark*

Liluri
March 17th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I notice the link to ebay for their sale of parts - selling to the US only! So I can't even get a bargain.

Billie
March 17th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Oh no! I've been waiting for them to be back in business for I don't even remember! That's a shame!

khyricat
March 17th, 2008, 04:53 AM
oh no! I've been waiting for them to reopen since I first saw their site.. NO! I hope someone picks up where they left off...

Leisha
March 17th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Oh I would have loved to someday get some of the hair stuff they sell... :neutral:

Red Jezebel
March 17th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Oh no, like everyone else I've been waiting and waiting for them to reopen. The Calla Lily hair spike (http://www.argusdesigns.com/products/ss/clily14k.html) was beautiful and I was keen to purchase it when they reopened :( Poo.

nastasska
March 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Maybe we should start a petiton:deal:

Silver & Gold
March 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Count me in as one of the people who had bookmarked their site and was patiently awaiting their re-opening. *sigh*

Well, at least my CV shampoo lady is planning on staying in business for a long time.

Rae~
March 17th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I am gutted.

Shell
March 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Sigh, I was hoping to get one of their wire back barrettes. I don't even see the ebay link?

Pani_Mniszek
March 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Dang.

Although I suppose I never actually needed a titanium hair fork.

Pani M.

dancingbarefoot
March 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Sigh, I was hoping to get one of their wire back barrettes. I don't even see the ebay link?

They were one of the only places that makes them, too. :-(

Thanks for letting us know, though, MyFireElf. I'm on their announcements list but they didn't send anything about this by e-mail.

Elfling
March 17th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Aww...man. I was waiting for the reopening too :(

Starr
March 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Wow, what a bummer! I had them bookmarked and everything. . . just waiting for the moment the reopened so I could order. Guess I'll never get the chance now.

Chameleon
March 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I noticed that Argus Designs is selling on Ebay with the username argusdesigns (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ50QQsassZargusdesigns)

Ursula
March 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe we should start a petiton:deal:

It would have to be a petition to end the so-called "war" (I refuse to call it "war" without qualification, since only Congress can declare war, and they haven't) - since this seems to be happening, not by choice, but because of their being caught in the ongoing quagmire.

sapphire-o
March 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Wow looks like they're selling all sorts of stuff on Ebay for cheap. Maybe some crafty ladies here can get hold of them and make hairtoys for us. :D Too bad they don't sell outside US. I'd love to get one of their silver pendants. I wonder if it's a patriotic thing. :)

khyricat
March 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I don't know, but I bid on a lot of quills, if I get them, I'll keep a few, share a few with friends and resell the rest here cheap on the swap board or swap them for other things.. I am thinking about doing the same on a lot of sticks/forks, but we'll see..

lora410
March 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
omg what a shame. Their stuff is GORGEOUS!!! How sad I would have loved to order the Calla Lilly hair pin.

Shell
March 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I noticed that Argus Designs is selling on Ebay with the username argusdesigns (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ50QQsassZargusdesigns)

Thanks for putting the link. Alas, no wire back barrettes.

DBF, I did just receive one from Bronze Jewelers, and it's beautiful. I do regret not getting one from Argus Designs though, as the two have very different styles. Sigh.

Neoma
March 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Ohhhh, their eBay store has titanium rods! Alas, I am not a metal worker. :(

thetokenlady
March 17th, 2008, 05:37 PM
You guys are terrible! I now have 4 ebay bids for them, 3 sets of hairstick blanks and 1 Calla Lily pendant. I've never made a hairstick, but I guess I'll be starting! I can see myself spending money at the bead shop now, I hope they have the findings I'll need.

I'm going to make the pendant into a dangle for a stick, probably one of the black ones because the silver will look nice with the black.

chloeishere
March 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I've also been waiting months for them to re-open. I'm so sad they are closing down, there were so many great things on that site.

Billie
March 18th, 2008, 01:39 AM
:(
But if anyone is going to bid on Exotic Hardwoord Hair Forks - Bayong

I'd be very happy to buy one from you. :cheese:

khyricat
March 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
if I win any of the bulk auctions, I'll be selling what I don't need on the swap board.. probably cheap.. just to find it new homes. I hate to see these items going unused.. and will want to share the wealth.. I can't imagine using that many of the same sticks/forks, etc.. I hope some of the other purchasers do the same.

MyFireElf
March 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Ohhhh, their eBay store has titanium rods! Alas, I am not a metal worker. :(

Maybe you could find a local metal worker (or online) who would do them on commission? I've placed a bid on some of the rods with that in mind.

Maybe I'll be quick enough to buy one of khyricat's bayong forks too, if she wins her auction. ;)

chloeishere
March 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
if I win any of the bulk auctions, I'll be selling what I don't need on the swap board.. probably cheap.. just to find it new homes. I hate to see these items going unused.. and will want to share the wealth.. I can't imagine using that many of the same sticks/forks, etc.. I hope some of the other purchasers do the same.

I've bid on a few bulk items too (though I've already been outbid on one, so I probably won't make it with all of them), and I plan to do the same thing. I will never use 10 forks or whatever-- I just figured I could split it up on the swap board for an affordable price!

Patrycja
March 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
darn-I was one of the many that bookmarked the site for the future.And they were so resonably priced!

CotM
March 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Khyricat, are you bidding on the bayong forks? I don't want to seem rude and bid against you if I can get one on the swap board later. :flower:

MadPirateBippy
March 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I didn't know about them until I clicked the link, now I'm sad because I never got a chance to shop there while they were open.

The Calla lily is just so pretty...

Teacherbear
March 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Modly reminder:

The Rules for TLHC Swappers & Sellers (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=850) clearly states that

You may not:

organize group orders, nor may you buy "extras" and then sell them on the swap board

for full text, please click on the above link.

kissedbyfyre
March 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
BOOO!! I really wanted to get a pair of their titanium sticks too! Good thing I discovered Crafty Celts products as so far their stuff doesn't die on me. It's the only company I found who sells strong enough air sticks. I was hoping the titanium sticks would put up with my hair.....

That sucks, I love their products even if some of their hair sticks managed to bend in my buns.

khyricat
March 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I didn't win the forks.. wish I knew who did.. but I do have extras, I guess I didn't see this the same way Teacherbear, I'm sorry- I'll list the extras elsewhere.. I only bought things I would use, I just won't use 10 matching sticks, or 50+ quills.. so I figured I'd share the wealth with others here.. I guess I'll be ebaying or selling elsewhere those extras..

I did win several auctions.. but I'll have to come up with other ways to share the results.. I actually didn't spend more than I would have on the items I plan to keep/give as gifts anyway.

Remke
March 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Argh, now way, they're closing :( And I'm to late for the auctions :cry: Darn I was also waiting for a year or more... I wanted the bone hairsticks.

Beldaran
March 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Bummer, I missed it too. I forgot I would be busy with easter stuff this weekend. I had my eye on the red and black sticks. :(

MyFireElf
March 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Teacherbear - the rule applies even though the items were sold in lots? Technically speaking, Khyricat bought "one" item containing 10 hairsticks - she couldn't have bought a single pair if she'd wanted to, and I doubt she's doing it to turn a profit.

Oh well, that sucks. :(

MadPirateBippy - I had the chance to buy some of the titanium sticks years ago, before the shop went on hiatus (I even bought some wooden sticks and a fork), but I decided to wait because I thought they were too expensive. Now I am :brickwall

saskia_madding
June 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have decided to revive this thread. I know Argus is closed and I know that sucks big time. I was lucky enough to buy a bunch of titanium items before the site went down, including some straight sticks, sticks with corckscrew ends, a set of shorter looped ends (for tying ribbons onto), and even a pair of milled tops. But I am still kicking myself for not buying the titanium prong. If anyone is interested, I can take and post some pictures of the Argus ones I do have.

The main point of my post is this - has anyone found a substitute for high quality titanium hair sticks?

I know Ron Quattro sells straight sticks, and I do have a pair of those, but I'm looking for something more ... interesting and slick. Ideally I would love something to replace the large titanium prong I didn't buy from Argus, but I am also open to interesting titanium sticks, something like the milled top set I already have.

[Wow. I just tried to find an image online, but every trace is gone. Not even an image up on a personal site. I will try to take a picture of my milled top set and post at least those.]

saskia_madding
June 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Ps. I would like to go on record as saying titanium is the best material EVER for hair sticks. I have really thin hair and titanium sticks hold my bun perfectly without weighing down my head. Insanely strong, unbreakable if dropped, usable on wet hair. I love them.

lapushka
June 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Damn. Damn. Damn. That's so sad. :(

Cinnamon Hair
June 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Aluminum double ended knitting needles are almost weightless plus they come in vibrant colors. The best part is you can get a set of 4 7" knitting needles for under $5.

justme
June 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I keep looking online for titanium hair sticks and/or forks and there is just nothing out there (except Quattro, but he doesn't have very many designs). I would dearly love a titanium fork, preferably with wavy/corkscrew tines.

saskia_madding
June 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I am totally with you, JustMe. I am so annoyed that I didn't get myself that titanium fork when I had the chance. And I was really looking forward to them coming out with mini titanium forks to use in half up buns.

If you find anything, give this thread a bump up and let me know. I'll do the same.

Euphony
June 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Colorburst Studios (https://www.colorburst.com/catalog/index2.html) has niobium (electrocuted titanium in essence that is shot with different voltages for different colors) hair sticks. I didn't see any on their site, I bought mine in person. Their menu is a PITA to navigate so I can't tell if they have sticks on their website at all. You could shoot them an email, they are good about getting back to you on emails, and ask if they have any sticks etc.

Hmmmm now I'm not seeing the information I saw a year or so ago that I'm sure said niobium is titanium. I have found info on an alloy, so now I'm not sure. When I bought my stick she said it was titanium, because I was concerned with strength.

bugeyedmonster2
June 13th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Wah! I found this thread too late! :sad :cry:

BEM

Neoma
June 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Aluminum double ended knitting needles are almost weightless plus they come in vibrant colors. The best part is you can get a set of 4 7" knitting needles for under $5.
What a brilliant idea, Cinnamon Hair. I have a ton of hairtoys, but now I think I need to get some of these, too!

basak
June 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hmmmm now I'm not seeing the information I saw a year or so ago that I'm sure said niobium is titanium. I have found info on an alloy, so now I'm not sure. When I bought my stick she said it was titanium, because I was concerned with strength.

Hmm, as far as I know niobium is a seperate element on itself, not an alloy. Here is more info, titanium and niobium are not the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Don't know much else about it though, maybe it's a cheaper and more suitable replacement for titanium?

Euphony
June 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hmm, as far as I know niobium is a seperate element on itself, not an alloy. Here is more info, titanium and niobium are not the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Don't know much else about it though, maybe it's a cheaper and more suitable replacement for titanium?
I was finding titanium/niobium alloys in google searching. I don't know, maybe that's what they use? Wish I knew more about the different metals. Perhaps niobium is a suitable replacement. I know my stick is quite thin and very strong, and it is niobium due to the colors.

bugeyedmonster2
June 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
To basak,

I love your avatar. I love Neil Gaiman's comics.

Zombiekins
June 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
What a brilliant idea, Cinnamon Hair. I have a ton of hairtoys, but now I think I need to get some of these, too!

Don't get your hopes up too much. I've got about a dozen of those things in various thicknesses and they're certainly not a replacement for a quality piece of hairtoy-ness. No matter how much I'm able to squeeze the tips when inserting them into basic buns, they always slide out within twenty minutes to 1/2 an hour - faster if I do any kind of bouncing - no matter how many are crammed in there. In the beginning it was an awesome idea.....now I'd rather have a good solid hair stick or something.

Count me in as being super sad about Argus Designs. I [i]love[/i[ titanium and bookmarked their site probably a few months after they had to close it down and have been waiting all these years for them to reopen. :( I'm definitely on the lookout for titanium toy recommendations. :)

Neoma
June 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Don't get your hopes up too much. I've got about a dozen of those things in various thicknesses and they're certainly not a replacement for a quality piece of hairtoy-ness. No matter how much I'm able to squeeze the tips when inserting them into basic buns, they always slide out within twenty minutes to 1/2 an hour - faster if I do any kind of bouncing - no matter how many are crammed in there. In the beginning it was an awesome idea.....now I'd rather have a good solid hair stick or something.

Bummer, Zombiekins. I guess it's a good thing that I have all these other goodly hairtoys, huh?:D