PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted...

Andrew
August 13th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I got my hair trimmed last night and what she said confused me, she said overall she cut about an inch off my length but under in my layers, about 3...how does that make sense? Here are pictures, tell me how much you think she cut off...

Before:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/heatfan/Picture045-1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/heatfan/Picture045.jpg

After:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/heatfan/Picture012-2.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/heatfan/Picture-1.jpg

Darkhorse1
August 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM
When she cut your hair, did she section it? Some hair dressers I've gone to when my own dresser is unavailable 'pin' it up in sections, doing the under portion then the top layers. As a result, they cut more in different areas to get hair to lay evenly. I don't like that as I find it doesn't braid properly for me. I prefer the simple straight across cut.

It's hard to say how much she cut because your hair looks fuller in the first photos--meaning you fanned it wider across your back. To me, I only see about an inch cut off. It might feel shorter at first because I find this happens with me--I have natural body that springs the hair up high after it's cut. Not sure if yours is the same?

Looks great!! :)

manderly
August 13th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Looks like she gave you a more pronounced V. Looks like 3" to me, but no overall length lost.

Darkhorse1
August 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
manderly--that's what I was thinking. That the V is more pronounced. I'm really tired too ;) Bedtime for me :D

wintersun99
August 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
At first, I didn't notice much length lost at all, but now that the others have mentioned the more pronounced "v" shape, I do see that the "sides" of the hair are shorter then before although the overall "effect" is that length does not appear to have been lost. :)

Islandgrrl
August 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Andrew....first I have to say, you have great hair. It's really, really nice. :)

I agree with the others...it doesn't appear that she took off much length overall, but your V hemline looks a little deeper.

Caldonia Sun
August 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I agree with other posters - the V is more pronounced. But hey, your hair looks great!

Ohio Sky
August 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Definately a deeper V-shape. I like it. :)

NurseMama
August 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Everyone pretty much answered your question, but I just wanted to say that you have some nice hair! :)

Andrew
August 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Ok, so maybe about an inch off with a more deep V.

She said one side of my hair was growing faster and he had to cut more off than usually to get them even on both sides.

If that makes any sense.

Plus, do you know why people do the V? I don't care, but I just wondered. I didn't ask for it, so I don't know if it depends on the person cutting or not...

Andrew
August 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It kind of looks as if I had a v shape when it was longer...

Martha
August 14th, 2008, 11:41 AM
To me it looks as though she put more layers in. You may not have wanted that as layers are funny in that on some people they make hair look more voluminous, and other people the hair just looks thinner. Your overall length is about the same, but only on the longest layer -- if you see what I mean.

Nice colour on your hair!

angelthadiva
August 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I *think* it's a personal choice for some, OTOH, some people's hair naturally grows into a shape.

Straight (or blunt cut) "U" shape, "V" shape or layers are different styles. HTH

ETA: I wanted to add, but was too quick with hitting the reply button...If you didn't ask for this style of cut; I would be a little hesistant in going back...Depending on your current length and long term goals--This cut might have been a set back...Styles you were able to do prior to the cut, you might not be able to do because of the variance in overall length--especially on the sides.

I remember once, I had asked for long, face framing layers--but the scissor happy chic cut them too short, so I couln't wear my hair back w/o the sides falling out...or slicking them back with product :mad:

Andrew
August 14th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I dont do anything to my hair except pull it back. She has always cut my hair, I just noticed it felt shorter this time...

rhodochrosite
August 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I think your hair looks really super nice. It looks like the person who trimmed your hair didn't take much length off of the longest part of your hair now (the lowest point of the V), but took off from the sides more. Not sure if that makes sense.

jojo
August 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
It doesn't look shorter at all to me and I like the V looks great.

Andrew
August 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
She explained to me that one side was growing faster than the other, so she had to cut more off on that side...

It just feels lighter and it feels like she cut off a lot more.

Should guys even have v shapes in their long hair lol?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/heatfan/Picture-2.jpg

MeMyselfandI
August 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
It kind of looks as if I had a v shape when it was longer...

Andrew,

That is what I thought. The V cut was the before because it seems longer.

I would take a picture with your arm in the same picture as in the before. Compare that way.

As for shape it is a personal choice. I like the more even one.

alligatorbaby23
August 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I actually think the hairdresser put in layers. I looked at your before pic and it looked like there were no layers. Maybe your pic is deceiving, since your hair is so fair?

Forest
August 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM

I think it is more common for men to have even cuts, but I think more guys should consider v- or u-shape. That's my opinion!:p

angelthadiva
August 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Andrew said:

<snip>Should guys even have v shapes in their long hair lol?

It's not a choice I would choose if I were a guy; but you didn't chose it, she chose it for you.

I think I've seen blunt cuts and "U" shaped, those seem to be more natural looking...IMO

Andrew
August 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
So when I get my next trim, do I tell her I would perfer a more straight cut? The only problem is, not all my hair will be the same length so it wouldn't look straight.

spidermom
August 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Just thought I'd add that it's pretty normal to have areas that grow faster than other areas. Whenever I get a trim, I will notice "twigs" of hair on the floor that are as much as 1-2 inches long, and the rest is too short to measure. Those "twigs" are my fastest growing hairs. Overall, my hair grows faster on the right side of my head.

danacc
August 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
So when I get my next trim, do I tell her I would perfer a more straight cut? The only problem is, not all my hair will be the same length so it wouldn't look straight.

V-shaped, U-shaped, or straight across is a personal choice. If you want to change from your current V-shaped hemline to a different shape, let your hairdresser know your preferred shape, and talk with her about different trim/hemline options to transition from what you have to what you want next.

I agree with previous posters--your hair looks great!

Andrew
August 16th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Now I feel like my hair is ugly. Guys shouldn't have layered long hair, right? I get she probably had to layer it because of one side growing faster, but I can't shake the feeling that its ugly. That when its out or pulled back, I look more like a girl from the back than a guy. Please, I want opinions. What do you think of my hair?

Andrew
August 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/heatfan/Picture001.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/heatfan/Picture002.jpg

ilovelonghair
August 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM

Why not if it looks good? Strangely your hair looks longer now with the more pronounced v-shape than before the cut.

justgreen
August 16th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hair is a funny egg...it doesn't all grow at the same time, or the same amount. That's why most folks get hair cuts, to tell the truth. I had a growth spurt this summer, on the sides of my hair, the middle hairs only grew about half as much as the sides, which is really weird for me.

Darian Moone
August 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Personally I like the v shape to a guy's hair instead of the straight across blunt. It's just personal preference I guess. To me, the v has more of a "rocker" look. Don't know why. I think your hair looks great with your new shape.

justgreen
August 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Now I feel like my hair is ugly. Guys shouldn't have layered long hair, right? I get she probably had to layer it because of one side growing faster, but I can't shake the feeling that its ugly. That when its out or pulled back, I look more like a girl from the back than a guy. Please, I want opinions. What do you think of my hair?

Hmmm you've had two pages of folks telling you what they think of your hair, the concensus is that they think you have great hair.

Andrew
August 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM
thanks...and I still don't fully understand about cutting 3" off the inside and only an inch off the overall length...

justgreen
August 17th, 2008, 07:08 AM
We aren't tooo clear on that one either, the one you need to ask, is the person who cut your hair, methinks.

jojo
August 17th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Personally I like the v shape to a guy's hair instead of the straight across blunt. It's just personal preference I guess. To me, the v has more of a "rocker" look. Don't know why. I think your hair looks great with your new shape.

my feelings too!

berr
August 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Personally, I prefer a V cut or a blunt cut on a man. The U looks more feminine to me. The V and blunt (to me) appear more masculine.

My hair grows thicker and longer on the right side of my head. It's a real pain to grow out layers because the left side is always shorter.

You have gorgeous hair, Andrew. I like the trim. It probably 'feels' like you lost a lot of hair but it doesn't appear that you lost much length.

Have you tried oiling your hair length, yet?

ETA: You might want to try braiding your hair. Now is a good length to start. The reason I suggest this is I wore bands in my hair in the approximate location yours is located and I now have a lot of breakage there and at the nape. I even used the gentle cloth bands with no metal etc. So while my length is tailbone, my ends would be so much fuller if I didn't have all this 4" to 12" in hair around my nape.

Andrew
November 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
So I know is thread is OLD but I am getting trimmed tomorrow, what is the consensus? The V-Shape I had now or the straight cut, which is more guy-likely?

Glamgirl
November 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Go with the "V"! :)

And by the way, you have gorgeous hair!!

Indigosails
November 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM
So I know is thread is OLD but I am getting trimmed tomorrow, what is the consensus? The V-Shape I had now or the straight cut, which is more guy-likely?
I like it with less V cut. But that's just me.:D

Isilme
November 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM
go with the hemline you like the most without thinking if it's more "ok" for a guy or not:)

wintersun99
November 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Less of a "V"

:D

GlassEyes
November 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Go with whatever you want.

That said, I prefer 'V's' on anyone.

Teacherbear
November 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Andrew, I agree, there is more of a dramatic V to your hemline. I think it feels so much lighter because she took more of the sides (to make the V). Your hair is long enough that you could successfully attempt doing a self-trim next time.

I like your hair color. :grin:

Lady Lilya
November 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I hope you decided to go with the V. I really loved how it looked after your previous hair cut (the one that started this thread). I think the V looks really awesome on a guy.

Andrew
November 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Actually, I just got the dead ends trimmed off, I explained to her how I just wanted my ends trimmed straight with no angles or layers and she told me the bottom piece of my hair is like an inch and a half longer than the rest, I was shocked and said just to trim it this time, when I go back in Jan. I probably will get it as uniform length as possible. She just surprised me today lol. I guess I had less dead ends this time because it took her longer to do my facial hair than my hair hair