PDA

View Full Version : Do your hair toys match your clothes? to what extent?

prosperina
August 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
In other threads I often hear people say such and such hair toy goes really well with this kind of outfit, and then I think hmmm I guess they're more on the ball than I am because I don't think about it too closely (although I have been known to pick out an outfit to match my hair toy!) because usually I get dressed, jam something into my hair and don't think much about it. Then again I usually have very basic colored hair toys, (with the addition of lots of green because that's my favorite color) so most outfits tend to match with hair toys.

thankyousir74
August 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Green's my favorite color too!
And as a fellow henna head, it probably makes the red pop out a tad more, them being contrast colors and whatnot.

My hair toy collection is quite stunted (as is my length).

And the few I have, well, let's just say I'm quite partial to black :)

AJoifulNoise
August 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
It depends on one thing: Am I leaving the house? If the answer is no, then the toy may or may not match. Like today, I'm wearing an orange shirt with sticks that have no orange in them.

If I am planning to leave the house, I match. It drives me crazy if I don't. Unless I'm doing it on purpose to be silly. Which... even then it bothers me on some level.

Though, I generally stick with black when I go out. So, if the stick has black in it, I'm good to go.

Not that I care if others match... It's just a personal quirk!

prosperina
August 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM
That's a good point AJoifulNoise. If I had orange sticks I would definitely try to match them up! It would bug me too. As I have rather boring hair toys....

Patrycja
August 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I have "crazy hairdo days" when I delibertly(sp)try to mismatch.Not so much that I'll get laughed at but I have a flower hairpin that I'll wear with my art deco looking stick.Does art deco and flowers go together? Nope :) but I like the way they look together in a cinnabun. Most of my toys match my colors.Since I dress in black and other neutral tones-I can't really go wrong with my purply fork or my blue butterfly slide.
I do have a bright blue Ficcare now that I'm not too sure of yet.It's louder than all my other toys and I definately don't have a bright blue top to go with it.It'll look great with the black but I'm not sure about having that bright blue in my hair with the red ;)

Bene
August 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
this is kind of hard to answer. my hair toys don't "match" my clothes, but they do kind of go along with the type of clothes i wear. t-shirts, dirty jeans, and chuck taylors don't really go with fancy pants hair toys. so, my hair toys are basic, understated things. wood or bone so far. no bright colors, nothing flashy or shiny, nothing that looks like jewelry. essentially, no sparklies.

but since i have dark hair, i make sure my hair toys are slightly lighter so they stand out a little. medium shades and stuff like that.

Teazel
August 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
It is something I consider. If I'm wearing red I'll go with hairsticks with red beads, if I'm wearing green I'll choose the green beads. If I'm trying to look businesslike I'll stick with plain, unadorned hair utensils, but dressing up calls for sparkly hair toys. :disco:

I've just started braiding ribbons and scarves into my hair, so the colours and textures I pick will have to harmonise with my clothes.

All that only applies if I'm leaving the house, though. At home I'll happily wear flashy hair toys with trackpants and T-shirt. :silly:

Ohio Sky
August 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I wear mostly black, and all my hairtoys are black or silver, so I always match perfectly!! :p

CurlyNinja
August 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM
It's not necessarily that they always "match" but I always make sure they "go."

Matchy-matchy isn't really the most chic way to go oftentimes, I think.

ETA: A thing I remember reading once in a post by Cinnamonhair--you can be wearing the most beautiful, sparkly, gorgeous hairtoy to the grocery store, and no one would notice like they would if you were dressed to the nines. On that note, I like to wear pretty, glamorous hair accessories even if I'm not super dressed up.

Xi
August 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM
My hairthings are carefully selected to blend in with my hair, so I guess they don't not match my clothes.:shrug: But I don't really try to coordinate. I will sometimes think, "I feel like X hairstyle today; what outfit would go with that?" But it's not really colour/hair toy related.

cutastrophe
August 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I voted that they match all the time. I'm ashamed to say that my big plan is to have a Ficcare to match all the colors in my wardrobe, and I'm almost there....and I have the maxed out bank account to prove it. :o

Calanthe
August 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I wear black only, maybe a very fresh dark-gray, so the hairtoys match perfectly. I mainly use silver and muted-coloured ones. I do have one or two red hairtoys, which I tend to wear with my red shoes. And I tend to wear elaborate hairtoys, even when I just go shopping if I feel like wearing them.

Duchess of Erat
August 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I voted that toys and outfit match about half the time, that's probably overstating things. I have some black things, which I usually wear with black clothes, a set of hairforks with pink flowers, which get worn with red and a set with purple flowers, that I wear with purple (or black) or I'll wear either when I feel like it and they don't match the colours of my outfit. Most of my hairtoys are brown(ish) so they match my brownish/blondish/haircoloured hair.

sahiba
August 13th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I love my hair toys a lot and I love ,like most of us , collecting them. so my hair toys have to match always.

maibaum
August 14th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I want my hairtoys to match my clothes. But as I have less hair toys then clothes (in different colors) yet, this is not easy. I have to buy more hairtoys! :cool:

lavenderblue
August 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM
yes I match :) and if I don't have a matching color hair toy I wear a natural wood stick/fork. and if I have a toy with no matching color clothing I wear black :)

Calista
August 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I voted they match all the time - though, like somebpody before me, I would not say match as much as suit. For instance, I don´t necessarily wear a red hairtool with a red shirt, but certainly something that goes well with red. I also tend to match my jewelry with my hairtools and my clothes. I would not wear silver jewellery and a golden ficcare. And since there are some colours that go well with silver and others that go well with gold I tend to match my jewellery with my shirt/top. So first I choose the outfit, then the jewellery, and finally the hairtool.

This makes me sound both picky and well turned-out, but in reality I am neither. :)

ETA: And I would not dream of not doing this, just because I´m not leaving the house. I do this entirely to please myself. I just feel uncomfortable to wear a silver ficcare at the back of my head and a golden ring on my finger. I can feel how wrong it is! :lol:

Sceleste
August 14th, 2008, 01:45 AM
My hair toys are mostly black or some shade of brown. I have no colourful hair toys, and nothing with bling bling. I want my toys to blend in and match my hair. So whenever I wear dark clothes they match, which is usually on my free time.

sexyjacksparrow
August 14th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I do try to match colours if I can. Most hair things I have are black, brown, or silver so go with most things. But I'd only wear - say- my purple jewelled flower hair thingy if I was wearing something else purple.

Elanor
August 14th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I usually choose my hair bands or toys so that they fit my outfit somehow. They could be the same color as my shirt or shoes or bag or something. Today I was wearing gray, black and denim but could only find my red hair band to tie my french braid. So I added a red wooden pendant and all was well :grin:

kettle
August 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Yup, all the time. Today, my stick is only a shell-topped wooden one, but I'm wearing a chinese bun with an aqua-ish and blue silk scarf wrapped around it. So: my earrings are shell and aqua-ish, my eyeshadow is aqua-ish, and the vest top under my shirt is aqua-blue.
An old highschool friend of mine once told me colour co-ordination in clothing and accessories is a sign of stupidity. She talked a lot of nonsense, but I always remember it when I co-ordinate. In defiance. I love co-ordination!

Kyamo
August 14th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Almost all of my hair stuff would go with any clothes, they are wood or metal, or a neutral colour. I don't really think about it.

Leisha
August 14th, 2008, 05:36 AM
For special occasions I'll match my hairtoy to my clothes (or the other way around maybe :D), but normally I don't pay much attention.

Usually I have fairly "discreet" hairtoys anyway, or neutral colours, so it won't really clash or anything even if they aren't exactly matched. :)

I voted cheese :cheese:

shrimp
August 14th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I voted can't be bothered but that is because the hair toys are the prioirity choice, the clothes come second :lol:

I always dress in plain, black clothes so I don't have to worry about clashing etc. My hair toys and accessories are where I have fun with my look. I don't think about what I'm putting on when I get dressed in the morning but I do have fun deciding what to use in my hair.

CryssieWillow
August 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Oh, I match all the time. :P
But it kinda depends on what you consider matching. The colours of my wardrobe and hairtoy collection kinda overlap. So I usually pick a colour that is similar.
But I also feel that blue and green matches. So does purple and green and purple and blue. Black matches with everything, except when you're wearing a lot of white. Then it is best to go with silver or something else lightcoloured. Red is best with black. Gold should be used sparingly as it lifts everything to super duper over the top classy.
Brown and blue is a big no no but both work with black and red.

bla bla blaaa bla bla. :o

ETA: And my purrrdy purple 60th street fork matches with everything.

Islandgrrl
August 14th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I voted that I can't be bothered. Most of the time I decide on hairtoy first, and then throw on whatever in terms of clothing. I'm not into fashion at all and literally will put on the first thing I find in the morning.

I also like to wear two different sticks that are completely not matched with one another.

Tabitha
August 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
It's a fabulous excuse to collect hair accessories in all the colour that I like/wear clothes in (certain colours like yellow and orange I do not wear).

Also I have things in neutral colours, such as "hair coloured" natural woods, black or tortoiseshell barrettes and plain gold/silver - when the only choice is governed by whether my earrings are gold or silver that day.

harley mama
August 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I don't match my hair accessories to my clothes.
Most of my sticks, clips, etc. are fairly neutral and go with most anything.

freznow
August 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Sometimes, I match my hairsticks to my socks and my fountain pen. When all those three match, I count myself as matching. Occasionally they match my clothes too. (Though typically only two of the four match. Sometimes it's hard to get the right color)

nucleardelusion
August 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I lost all of my hair toys when I first had my hair snipped off. Now I'm down to basic black claws and no pull elastics. It's so sad.

socks
August 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I usually just use whichever pair of brown or black plastic clips is the handiest, but since my wardrobe is nice and gloomy and contains a fair bit of brown and quite a lot of black, my clips often match my clothing with no effort on my part. :D

Haith
August 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM
My hair toys are all pretty basic, so I don't really even think about matching them to my outfit. Maybe I will now, though...

RavenDream
August 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I wear a lot of black, so I tend to use a pop of color with my hair toys.

Adrienne
August 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Usually I just wear a black hairband. but today I am wearing a blue hairband and a blue shirt.

It just depends. I guess I can say I match all the time because I usually wear black. but I have been known to slap a silver or gold headband on my head. and not be wearing anything silver or gold. but I still think I look great! lol. :hollie:

angelthadiva
August 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I voted, all the time...But after reading some posters responses...I changed my mind...

If I'm home and my hair needs to be put up; I will grab whatever will do the job.

If I am going out in public (work, school, church--or the like) it might not be matchy matchy, but it will go with my outfit. :D

Tapioca
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I tend to match, although I keep a set of good hair days pins and seamless elastics in my purse that match my haircolor and go with everything.

Tap Dancer
August 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I usually match. If I don't have a hair accessory that goes with my clothes, I wear a dark brown satin scrunchie (which matches my hair color nicely) or a brown leather headband. Or I say to h*** with it and wear my hair down. :silly:

julya
August 14th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I don't even think about if my hair toy will match my clothes. I usually do my hair before I get dressed in the morning.

BlueMeezer
August 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
If I'm going out of the house I will coordinate the hairtoy with the outfit and the occasion. The color may not be the same, but the two will go together, such as silver hairtoy with black outfit. Fancier hairtoys for parties and such, plain toys for a run to the store.

If I'm at home I usually wear the same old raspberry pink scrunchy that I hate and just keep hoping will break. I wanted the other colors in the package but not this one. I throw it on when I'm staying home so I can keep the nicer colors to go with outfits. I do not own any pink clothing and the darn thing refuses to die. It should be in tatters from all the yardwork it has been through but it still looks almost as good as new.

Slug Yoga
August 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I picked "half of the time" because that was the closest answer. Sometimes they match, sometimes they don't. I'm always pretty proud of myself when it actually matches, and feel more "together."

My most commonly used hairtoy is a silver fakkare I got at H&M for like 2 bucks a few months ago. It has been so faithful, but I think the hinges are starting to go. And uh, silver goes with everything... right?

maibaum
August 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I changed my mind. Yesterday there was a fork from momkthemonk in my mail. It is sooo beautiful! For this one I dont care whether it matches my outfit. I will wear it anyway.

khyricat
August 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM
my stuff is mostly neutral.. both clothes and hair toys,.. woods, metals, etc.. I don't TRY to match, but I do try not to CLASH if that makes a difference..

mira-chan
August 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I try to match hair toys not just to clothes but to the occasion too. In addition to looking better, it makes me actually use all of my hair toys instead or sticking to one or two while the others collect dust.

If my hair is not being cooperative or I'm in a hurry, all bet are off. Whatever holds is the thing I'll be wearing, matching or not.

Gumball
August 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM
My hair toys match my clothes minimum to the extent that I'm wearing both! That tends to be good enough to me. As long as something's looking good I've got nothing to worry about. :wink:

bgarrison
August 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Mine match, but my wardrobe is very limited and pretty dull,lol -- by choice! Give me a pair of levi's and a grey t and I'm happy. Happier if the t is inside out so the seams don't rub me. ;)

Sofoulee
August 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
AJoyfulNoise has a point. I match hair toys with clothes practically everytime I step out, but if I'm staying in for the night/day, my fashion may not be so dead-on. :P

basak
August 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Oh yes. My hairtoy(if I even choose to wear one), my jewelry, my shoes and my purse must flow with my clothing choices or nothing else is right with me. It's a matter of attitude, I guess. I think I should represent myself as best as possible. I'm very critical about myself(not in a bad way).

EvaSimone
August 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I am not "matchy-matchy" about them but I won't wear a brown Ficarrismo with a black outfit or vice versa.

My hair toys don't clash with what I am wearing and oftentimes coordinate.

I wear lots of neutrals and my hair toys are neutrals too so that makes it sort of idiot proof :)

ZaBasDa
August 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I might try to match my hair toy to my clothes if it is a special occasion. I don't try to not match; I'm just good at picking out things that refuse to match with anything. :shrug: If I match, it's probably an accident.

vampodrama
August 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
matching hairtoys with my outfits would be quite a task.

I usually dress in a rivethead-industrial-gothic misfit way. I can't think of any hairtoys that would match this.

I'm seriously considering learning welding and other metal works so I could make my own hairtoys out of rusty iron and such... :p

Millielie
August 17th, 2008, 02:52 AM
My favorite colors for jewelery are blue and purple.
But I mostly wear black clothes... and sometimes white or brown. And I often wear jeans. So I guess my hair toys don't match my clothes that often (except of the jeans).

kowlrea
August 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I just bought a bunch of hairtoys / some chopsticks that vary in color and some wire and wooden chopsticks. Im thinking the wire ones can be worn with absolutely anything. I didn't want to limit colour with colour, plus Im not too much of a matchy person, i would probably wear turquoise and have a yellow, green or even pink stick in my hair

rubyann
August 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I match my clothes and hair toys up according to color just about all the time.

I don't have many hairtoys, but most of my clothes are in just a few different colors, mostly shades of blues and greens, so it's not too hard to coordinate with hair accessories.

Angharad
August 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I voted for "half of the time my hairtoys and clothes match"; I own a few very basic hairtoys and also some flowery hairtoys to put in my hair (I make sure that their colours match with my clothes).

It always matches somehow and if it doesn't, well sometimes a little contrast goes a long way!

Hiriel
August 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
95% of my wardrobe is jeans and black t-shirts. Anything matches with black :)

peachrose
August 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I tend to buy hair toys in neutral colours. I have 3 ficcares, black, silver and brown. I have some sticks in brighter colours that match certain clothes so I'd say most of the time they either match or are in neutrals.

SimplyViki
August 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I have about 4 pairs of hairsticks (one isn't a pair, it's two different ones, so it's about 4 pairs:p) and half a dozen pairs of shoes. One pair of hairsticks matches one of the pairs of shoes, so every once in a while, they'll match. The rest of the time, not really.

rhysiana
August 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I voted for matching all the time. If I'm having an "I don't really want to think about it" day, my hair usually goes into an English braid, but even then, the elastic on the end matches my outfit, even if it's just black. I also match my socks, even when no one can see. My DH thinks I'm nuts.

swirlytresses
August 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Definitely!!! If they don't match my clothes, than they atleast blend in with my hair. :D

patience
August 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I match pretty much all the time. If I don't have a hair accessory that matches or coordinates with my outfit I just do an unadorned updo with pins.

GlassEyes
August 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Eh, sometimes I bother, sometimes I don't. That's not to say I don't pick things that go together, but not everything has to match exactly to look nice.

LittleOrca
August 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I had to vote one for the center three, since they all seem to fit me. I don't usually buy toys to go with clothes, but I try to match them up, other times I just put one in and go, and who cares, my hair IS Fabulous!

Bunnyhare
August 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I don't usually "match "per se but i am usually in a mood for a certain color when i wake and i pick jewelry first, hair next then clothes...and my toys just match me, i am rather ecclectic and not at all "fashionable" i ride my own breeze!

lundmir
August 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM
When I got my first two pairs of sticks, I wore a top in the same color. But I'm quite lazy, and I don't care anymore.

ChrissieM
August 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I go for neutrals..they go with everything. With the exception of my olive green ficcare in my sig (which actually goes with 75%of my wardrobe...I wear a lot of warm neutral colors and that exact color green) everything is brown or gold or plain wood. If I got more colored hairtoys, I would probably just wear black/brown/grey clothing with them.

Aries_jb
August 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
It depends on the toy I want to wear. I haven't been wearing hairsticks lately, and those are the ones with the most color choices. I've been into hair forks, so my choices are black, green, and blue. Any other color than those I wear my black fork.

jasper
August 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I think mine match to the extent that I like them very basic, and un-frilly, I like the detailing to be structural, not surface embellishment.

dernhelm
August 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM
I wear black most of the time, so any hair toy will do for me if it suits my mood. I have been opting for lighter colored hair toys because my hair is darkish.

Marika
August 21st, 2009, 08:35 AM
I like bright colors when it comes to hairtoys. I wear black clothes all the time so it's nice to have something to "cheer up" my appearance :D. And all the colors look great with black. So in a way, I do match my hairtoys to my clothes.

Bene
August 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
It's odd that this thread came back, since today I actually matched my hair toy with the shirt I was wearing. Brown shirt, dark brown maximas. I normally never give it a second thought, so this is a first for me.

pradabacon
August 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
I wear mostly black, and all my hairtoys are black or silver, so I always match perfectly!! :p

100% exactly me!

:cheese:

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I voted the first option, matching almost all of the time. I love accessorizing properly. If I can match an outfit, I do. Certainly clothes just seem to be made for wearing with certain hair toys. However I have a large collection of wood, black, white gold and yellow gold hair toys. I consider those generic, go with anything types of toys. Since I wear black maybe 75% of the time, it's easy to come up with several hair toys options for any given outfit.

KarpatiiSiv
August 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I like having accessories that match up with what I am wearing and have made my own earrings and bracelets for years. I've now started making my own Faux-Flexis and hairsticks to match up as well.

embee
August 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
I had to choose cheese... I'm hungry! ;)

My hairtoys match my *hair* - darkish brownish. Except for my green snake pen which ran out of ink and became a hairstick! :) He is really cute and I wear him when I need cheering up.

I'd love to have MonkTheMonk or GrayDog or some of those other wonderful hairsticks, but I simply cannot choose, they're all so pretty and colorful - and they're so expensive that I'm afraid I'd not get the good of them, they'd be too fancy for me. So I've spent a few years window (read: computer monitor) shopping on ebay and etsy.

JamieLeigh
August 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Most of my hair toys are black, actually, which not only matches most of my wardrobe but goes with pretty much everything else. So even if I'm not wearing black, I'll probably have in a black stick or clip or elastic. :p However, if my hair toy is a different color than black, it means that my outfit does match it. :D

Jinx2234
August 28th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Most of my hair toys are black and I wear a lot of black, so my hair toys usually match my outfit if I am going out. But if I am just lounging around my house in my pajamas my hair is usually up in a red scrunchy which doesn't match. So I voted that my hair toy matches about 50% of the time.

Nouveaux
August 28th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Haha, I'm actually more concerned about hairtoys matching my hair. Well, not matching, but at least complimenting. But then, I try to make sure my clothes do as well, so they're both normally blues, browns, silvers/greys, and greens. I stay away from golds or tans. Except the hairsticks I made myself, which are the natural colour of the wood, 'cause I haven't found a good way to give them a smooth paint and seal.

Leoneska
August 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hehe...I am more aware that my hairtoys match my earrings. I love wearing huge, glittery, somehow Indian silver lustre earrings with colorful gems (-.

Newniepg
August 28th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I voted 'can't be bothered', which is mostly true. It's not that I will ever deliberately match my hair accessories to my outfit, but if it blatantly doesn't go then I will change something before leaving the house.

That said, I do have an emerald ficcare that goes beautifully with a top and a skirt I sometimes wear deliberately. :)

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
My hair toys and clothes match about half the time and... I have enough basic stuff that most everything goes together. But I have to admit- if I am in the mood for green hairsticks everything depends on it. I have to find green cardigan. I have to! I am not matching earings to the blouse like I used to. No. Now I match shoes and blouse and earrings too to my hairtoys:)

Fiorentina
April 30th, 2023, 03:50 PM
I match my clothes and hair toys up according to color just about all the time

lapis_lazuli
May 4th, 2023, 06:16 PM
If I have a hair stick that matches my outfit's main colour, I'll almost always wear that one. Otherwise, I'll go with brown or black.