PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be new to length

BrianaFineHair
March 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
As you can see in my picture, I have really short hair. I've had short hair all my life, except a year or two in high school and in the second grade (shoulder to mid back only). My mom was a hair dresser, so I got all of the newest short cuts.

So, I've decided to grow out my hair. My goal is shoulder or just past shoulder length. Understand, this would be considered long to me.

I've got some concerns. What if I look horrible with long hair? I have fine thin hair and what if it always looks stringy? Does every woman really look best with long hair? Let me hear from you long haired ladies with baby fine hair. At what lenght is considered long? I've always gotten great comments on my pixie (think Audrey Hepburn short pixie) through the years. I do not know long hair. :shrug: However, I am giving it an honest go. I got my hair dresser to trim and shape it to the length it is now. Now, it just needs to grow. Oh, and bangs, I've always had bangs. They are now past my nose and driving me crazy, so I use barretts and head bands a lot. I'd say in a couple of months I'll be able to tuck them behind my ears. :cheese:

So, any answers or suggestions regarding my questions?

Delila
March 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I had bangs my entire life, and really got sick of them!! Ugh. I feel your pain.

Now that my hair's all one length, it's a lot more comfortable.

The awkward growing out stage was bad, but totally worth it in the end.

Hang in there, you can do it!! !

I had a journal on the old board, but haven't quite decided what to do here.

So far, I've learned that gentle handling, above all else, is crucial for me. I don't blow-dry or brush, and only comb when my hair is either a) loaded with conditioner (a relatively new experiment for me) or b) totally dry.

I experimented with a lot of products, a lot of routines (herbs, conditioner-only washing ... ) but in recent months I've been quite happy with the shampoo/condition/deep treat about once a month routine I've been in for a while. Kind of weird, considering the amount of products in my stash, but oh, well. :)

Oh, FWIW, I'm currently at hip/tailbone length, after having started out at a pixie. No way would I ever have thought I could gain this much length after having always been told that my hair was too fine and thin to grow long.

freznow
March 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
They only way to solve those 'what if's is to go for it! Good luck on the growing and the bangs!

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum (long hair all my life) so I don't have any particular tips, besides patience. It grows slowly so you have plenty of time to adapt to long hair.

For most of Americans, BSL is extremely long, and for many shoulder length counts too. On LHC I think many of us have grown adjusted to tailbone length and longer, so it does vary from person to person what 'long' is.

Good luck on your journey!

Blueglass
March 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
:cheese:To keep fine hair at it's best frequet washing is very helpful. You don't what too weight it down or let end get straggly. Avoid short layers or heavy bangs. If you wait for thick hair, that day will never come. Work what you have.

BrianaFineHair
March 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Well, Delila, from your experience I can conclude that it can be done! :) Freznow, I'm going for it alright! I'm enjoying seeing the shine, which is something that is not as noticeable with pixie cuts. Thanks, Blueglass! :)

lynnala
March 16th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Hi BrianaFineHair! Grow it grow it grow it! I am so enjoying having long hair again, I had it short all through my 30's and 40's. My hair is very fine and lightweight, so it gets fuzzy and stringy. Looking through the forums here has really helped me to get my hair healthier so I don't mind having it long and loose! During the painful growing out period, headbands are great (cloth ones, no teeth), and clips. I've discovered that the BS/ACV wash routine gives my hair a lot of body, you might try that. And I don't use conditioner anymore, just some shea butter on the ends and to smooth it down. If you do use shampoo, I recommend only washing the scalp. When your hair gets long enough to do updos and stuff I think you'll really enjoy it! Oh! Also something you can do is go to a wig store and try on some wigs to see how you'll look! I used to do that!

Robinlyn
March 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Welcome, I have fine hair as well. Although I am only at apl (barely) this forurm has helped me so much! I think you should let your hair grow! What a fun and new adventure this will be for you! If you get discouraged just post your feeling and everyone here will help you though! Keep us posted with pics (of course)! You are going to LOVE long hair!! Happy growing to you!

Hypnotica
March 17th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I've been growing out my pixie cut that I had for 7 years. I'm currently on my third year of growing.

Alva
March 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Here another fine hair chiming in. I've had long hair since age 12 or so, it varied from shoulder to tailbone length. I stick to washing once every three days, it needed some adjustment because fine hair when it gets greasy can look lifeless, but taking some time and wearing hair up has helped me a lot to change my washing routine from almost daily to twice a week. And as mentioned before patience is one of the most important things.

I also think its a matter of trying it, it's hard to say beforehand if something will look good one someone or not, just trying it is the key, good luck growing to the desired length!

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I don't have fine hair BUT at almost 30 inches I can definitely say I have never grown my hair this long before. Most of my life it has been above shoulder length or just below. I am LOVING my longer hair! I love the way it feels on my shoulders and now my arms and can't wait to feel it on my elbows! I don't know too many people that don't look good in long hair but maybe that is because I love it! I never had it before because I thought mine would look awful. That was because I didn't know how to take care of it though. I was very mean to it and now I realize of COURSE it didn't look good as it grew longer!

My advice is to not try to make it look like something it isn't. My hair is curly and for my whole life I wanted straight, smooth, shiny hair. When you manipulate it to try to make it something it is NOT you get damage. Pure and simple. Not only that, I find that I look way better in curls than I ever did in straighter hair. I still admire it on others though. Even if your hair is not as thick as you would like it to be or whatever, there is beauty in each type of hair so enjoy it!!

And you will never know until you grow!!! Hey, that's a good quote don'tcha think? :giggle:

BrianaFineHair
March 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I love it! Thanks for all of the comments and encouragement. :)

Lynnala, I LOVE vinegar rinses. It conditions my hair AND gives it body that other styling products can not give me. I was amazed and will always use it.

Robinlyn, my goal is the length of your hair in your avatar. Very pretty!

Curlsgirl, you are so right about working with what you've got. I went through a stage in high school and early 90's with perms, but it just damaged my fine hair in the end.

BrianaFineHair
March 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't have fine hair BUT at almost 30 inches I can definitely say I have never grown my hair this long before. Most of my life it has been above shoulder length or just below. I am LOVING my longer hair! I love the way it feels on my shoulders and now my arms and can't wait to feel it on my elbows! I don't know too many people that don't look good in long hair but maybe that is because I love it! I never had it before because I thought mine would look awful. That was because I didn't know how to take care of it though. I was very mean to it and now I realize of COURSE it didn't look good as it grew longer!

My advice is to not try to make it look like something it isn't. My hair is curly and for my whole life I wanted straight, smooth, shiny hair. When you manipulate it to try to make it something it is NOT you get damage. Pure and simple. Not only that, I find that I look way better in curls than I ever did in straighter hair. I still admire it on others though. Even if your hair is not as thick as you would like it to be or whatever, there is beauty in each type of hair so enjoy it!!

And you will never know until you grow!!! Hey, that's a good quote don'tcha think? :giggle:

You will never know until you grow!!! ~Curlsgirl

Yes, it's PERFECT quote! ;)

Kirin
March 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
welcome fellow fine hair! Fine hair has its own distinctive needs to keep it looking its best, but only you can be the judge of that! Right now i'm at shoulder from a near buzz cut all over my head! Though i did have very long hair when i was young, its been very short my whole adult life.

there is a LOT of wisdom on this site. The trick is wading through it, trying new things, and realizing there is no "holy grail" or one way to do things. If something doesnt work, even if its the greatest thing for hair, it doesnt work.

Ohio Sky
March 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I also have fine hair. I guess Im actually on the thin side of normal, so I dont have super thin hair but I still have issues with the stringies and body, especially at certain lengths.

Shampoo bars give me more body, but make the hair around my face (which used to be my bangs and is still a few inches shorter than the rest) look stringy. Its all about experimenting to find what works best for your hair. There is a method that works for any type of hair and that will make you love your long hair, you just have to find it.

Good luck! :)

BrianaFineHair
March 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
welcome fellow fine hair! Fine hair has its own distinctive needs to keep it looking its best, but only you can be the judge of that! Right now i'm at shoulder from a near buzz cut all over my head! Though i did have very long hair when i was young, its been very short my whole adult life.

there is a LOT of wisdom on this site. The trick is wading through it, trying new things, and realizing there is no "holy grail" or one way to do things. If something doesnt work, even if its the greatest thing for hair, it doesnt work.

Thank you!

How long did it take you to grow your hair out to the length it is now? Did you just let it go or did you have it shaped into a bob cut and then let it grow? That's what I did. I had my hair stylist shape and trim until it is where it is now - chin length and just about all one length (still working on those bangs).

Elfling
March 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I believe every woman looks best with the hair that makes her happy: pixie, bob, classic, whatever. Nobody else can tell you what makes you feel beautiful or feel you- you'll have to decide that for yourself :) I adore my sisters' punky short cuts. They rock. It's just not for me; I don't feel complete without long hair.

Give it a try and see! It's just hair :) You can always cut it back.

Unnamed
March 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think what Elfling said is good!

As for me: Superfine on the thinner side, and yes, I was always told my hair was too thin to grow long. I'd actually been told my hair would never grow to waist length, which, er...well, don't listen, as how long one's hair can grow--and or how long one can keep a blunt cut--are very individual. Me, I seem to have a natural taper around shoulder-blade length (and is why I was told my hair would never grow long), but my hair keeps growing just fine past that, apparently, even with damage. Give fine hair a bit of extra care/thought, and generally it'll grow just fine. ;)

The fineness helps with the lack of thickness, though, and I don't think I start getting stingier ends till around BSL to waist length, so I suspect your hair will look just great at the length you're going for!

And as to what's long? Well, ask that around here and you'll get all sorts of answers! It's a very individual thing, though, really. My hair didn't start feeling long to me until it was a few inches past classic (but, I had had BSL to waist length hair for a long time before trying for longer so I was used to those lengths/those didn't feel 'long' to me). I think in society as a whole (or, well, western culture, I suppose), around shoulder-blade to BSL is the break for what is considered 'long' (shoulder-blade could also be 'medium', but I've seen shoulder length as 'long', so....yeah, it varies).

Isilme
March 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM
habe a look here and read the haircare section, esp. the one about handling hair:) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php

And, let's see...yes, I found it http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/start.html this woman has fine and thin hair, but it's awesome anyway!
Oh, and hair doesn't grow faster because you cut it, it only gets shorter. I figured I might as well tell you that since it seems to be a common misunderstanding hairdressers are tought.
Good luck och don't forget to post so you can view the photo albums! :)

Carina
March 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I'm looking forward to read about your progress.I'm almost bsl but started out at shoulderlength when I found lhc.

BrianaFineHair
March 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
habe a look here and read the haircare section, esp. the one about handling hair:) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php

And, let's see...yes, I found it http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/start.html this woman has fine and thin hair, but it's awesome anyway!
Oh, and hair doesn't grow faster because you cut it, it only gets shorter. I figured I might as well tell you that since it seems to be a common misunderstanding hairdressers are tought.
Good luck och don't forget to post so you can view the photo albums! :)

Thank you for the links. You are right, she has beautiful hair.

I will post pics every three months or when there's been noticeable growth.

Kirin
March 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I just let my hair go, and started the quest for long hair once my hair off the back of my neck at the nape, was around an inch long, that was back in the end of september. I've had some really insane hair growth, now in march its about 2 1/2 to 3 inches longer i think.

Since joining this site i've tried a lot of things, and tried a lot of products. A lot of them didnt work sadly, they sounded so great too. Conditioner Only washing, nope. Oiling, nope... not washing... and all kinds of things. I finally found oil that worked on my fine hair, which is carrot oil. All others left me flat.

My routine now (and i'm sticking with it until whim or a good post changes my mind to try something new lol) is just to wash daily, and use a leave in, and oil at nights. Yup, no muss no fuss lol, but it works.

30isthenewblack
May 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM
This is an interesting discussion. For me personally, I am willing to sacrifice hair length for more volume, vibrancy and life to my hair which is why I colour my hair. I also don't think that having waist long hair is a good look for me. Ideally, I would like to have my hair three quarters down my back but because I have curly hair, this means that I will have to grow my hair down to my waist for it to spring up. It may never get to that point because of the hair colour but given a choice, I'd rather have shorter hair with more volume.

I'm probably amongst the minority on this board who doesn't necessarily think that every woman looks good with long hair and at the same time, I don't think every woman looks good with short hair. I think you need to have a hairstyle that suits your face and your hair type but more importantly you need to have a hairstyle that makes you happy. So if long hair is your dream, go for it!