PDA

View Full Version : Length needed to braid?

Manako
August 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I couldn't find any posts that answer my question. How long typically do you need your hair to be before you can braid it? One of the main goals I have is to be able to braid my hair--just a standard braid!

I'm not very good at braiding yet, as I have never braided my hair properly before, just ribbons, fabric, and occasionally small braids. So I want to know if its me or my hair that is making me unable to braid. I can probably do a french braid at its current length, but I am curious to know a good length for a standard braid.

Thanks!

burns_erin
August 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I couldn't find any posts that answer my question. How long typically do you need your hair to be before you can braid it? One of the main goals I have is to be able to braid my hair--just a standard braid!

I'm not very good at braiding yet, as I have never braided my hair properly before, just ribbons, fabric, and occasionally small braids. So I want to know if its me or my hair that is making me unable to braid. I can probably do a french braid at its current length, but I am curious to know a good length for a standard braid.

Thanks!

For me the length it is now, just past sholder, is the first I can braid it and have it be recognizeable as a braid.

chrissy-b
August 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
My hair is brushing my collar bone when wet and I can do a small braid.

Manako
August 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
So I guess I still need an inch or two more, my hair is pretty curly. its possible to braid is a little bit, but it only has 2 iterations so it looks silly.

serenitygal
August 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I started doing french braids on myself at night when my hair was barely longer than yours is now. They looked dreadful, and most of the braid fell out during the night, but it got me practicing. Eventually, my hair was long enough that it would generally stay in the braid overnight, and finally, when I could use an elastic band at the base and actually have a respectable tassel, I'd take it out in public in a french braid. I seem to remember that I'd been braiding it at night for about a year before I wore it out of the house.
My hair is now between APL and BSL. I can't do a base-of-the-neck English braid yet because of my layers, but, quite honestly, I prefer the look and style of a French braid on me. YMMV, however.
For now, I'd suggest using this opportunity to really get to know your hair. Oil it, scritch and massage that scalp, mess around with styles. I remember I'd twist my hair back from my face and bobby pin it when it was that length, as anything down looked HORRIBLE on me as I grew from a super-short cut and didn't trim for the first year. It didn't look all that good, either, but I just grinned-and-bore it so as to get it longer faster.
Good luck, and happy growing! You'll be at APL before you know it!

:) :flowers:

jojo
August 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I could do a small braid this time last year at about 19" long, but could do a french braid much earlier about your length in the avatar, ok only a small tassel but a braid all the same.

julya
August 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I started being able to braid at a bit past shoulder length, but it was a very short braid!

Gumball
August 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I think it really depends on the person, body type and hair type/layers. Some people who say shoulder might have a certain thickness or might have a longer neck than another person, so the variables are still in there. I'd say the length is part of the discovery instead of something set. That makes it much more fun since then it's a surprise!

Sofoulee
August 14th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I think it depends on your hair for a standard braid, but I've gotten some of my friend's hair to french braid at your length. :)

Juneii
August 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I think I would depend on the thickness of your hair
I can't really braid my hair until it's at least APL, but I have classmates with thinner hair who can braid pigtails with SL hair.

nucleardelusion
August 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Mine's around 19 inches, and I can make a little braid low on my head. :cheese: