PDA

View Full Version : Painful Parting

winter_star
August 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Lately I have been trying to part my hair on the side of my head (just for something different), instead of my usual part in the centre. If I leave it this way for any longer than 5 minutes my scalp becomes really painful and sore to touch or brush.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or know how to prevent this?

mellie
August 13th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Yes, this happens at first anytime I try a different parting. By the next day or two it feels fine though!

burns_erin
August 13th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Yes, this used to happen to me when i first started doing differet parts. besides just putting up with it, what helped me most was to go to sleep with wet/damp hair above my head so it dries standing up so to speak-that way it is less of a difference .

lora410
August 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I don't remeber this when I trained my side part, so I am probably not much help. It did feel off though at first and I had to literally hair spray it to stay in place..lol I can now do middle or side part though.

greekprincess
August 13th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I have this happen to me too...I have tried massaging the spot that hurts with my fingertips...that helps a little. It will just stop hurting all on its own after a day.
It is really weird though.

Chromis
August 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yes, and mine remained painful even after trying to side part for months back in the early 90's when the big swooping wall of bangs was popular. Worse yet, not only did it hurt, but my part would magically move itself back to where it wanted anyhow. I say if it hurts, don't force it!

Gumball
August 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think part of the reason it hurts is it's getting sore because the hair has been trained to grow and go in a certain direction. My take is when you go against the grain so to speak until your hair gets used to it there will be some resistance. It can be in the form of that soreness. I wonder how we could compare it properly? Maybe it's like trying to move your arm after a lengthy phone call and having to deal with phone elbow? It just takes some time before the soreness goes away.

Igor
August 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM
We had a thread on this like 3 days ago... Try seeking

spidermom
August 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Weird. I don't really part my hair, but I push it to the right or to the left or pull it straight back. I had a center part in my teens, then I read in Seventeen magazine about how to change your look by changing your part, and I've never had a fixed part since then. I've gotten to the point of not liking the look of a straight slash of scalp. Hmmmmm ... was there a point to that? Move your hair from one side to the other a lot and don't stress about having a definite straight part. And massage your scalp when it feels tight.

serenitygal
August 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
My hair detested being parted at all when I first started growing from a really short cut, and I let it go 'til it got a little longer. Then I washed it, bobby-pinned it into the part I wanted, and slept on that. My scalp was a bit sore initially, but it got over it.

Amara
August 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
My hair detested being parted at all when I first started growing from a really short cut, and I let it go 'til it got a little longer. Then I washed it, bobby-pinned it into the part I wanted, and slept on that. My scalp was a bit sore initially, but it got over it.

I second this method, except instead of bobby pins I parted it the way I wanted, then kind of "fluffed it up" - so it wasn't mashed down - mashing it made it really hurt - and used a claw clip to hold it over there. I spray it with my mister - either oil, or aloe, with water, and then spray it again in the morning. I can actually do this process in a half hour/hour or so before I leave the house if I have time, too. It feels odd/a little painful at first but then it's dry and fine. I change my part up pretty often... maybe that helps? It doesn't get used to always being in one place.

winter_star
August 15th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips. I think i will try a few methods you suggested. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one this happens to though.

Thanks for all your help!!

Fee
August 15th, 2008, 06:07 AM
That happened to me when I started to part in the middle, before that it was always parted to the left side, after a few days the pain went away, for about 2 years I part at the middle.