PDA

View Full Version : Question about pre-shower oiling

Eryka
August 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM
About how long does the oil need to sit on your hair for it to be effective? Granted, overnight is best but sometimes sleep gets the better of me. Would an hour or so before your shower work?

Thanks

jojo
August 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I sometimes do this for an hour or so before washing and get good results but I like the results better with an overnight oil.

yogachic
August 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Several hours would be better than one hour, but idealy, an overnight oil.

Eryka
August 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Ah ok, just gonna have to keep my peepers open a little bit longer the night before. Thanks!

angelthadiva
August 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Ah ok, just gonna have to keep my peepers open a little bit longer the night before. Thanks!

Just heavy oil, and wrap your hair up in a silky scarf or the like and go to sleep, then wash it out in the AM...OR, if you will be home for the day (like on the weekend), heavy oil in the AM, wrap it up--Go about your day at home, and wash midday...I've done it both ways, and my silky scarf is designer, so nobody has dared to say a peep! :D I even ventured out once...In public! :eyebrows:

ChloeDharma
August 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'd really use an hour as the bare minimum....the longer it's on, the better....

If you are finding you fall asleep or get too tired to oil before bed....like has been suggested, just do it earlier on in the evening. I like to leave mine heavily oiled for days before washing, but i often go out with heavily oiled hair....just neatly brushed back into a bun....looks very sleek and "on purpose" ;)

sipnsun
August 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I think that one hour is better than nothing. Sometimes I only have 30 minutes and I'll use it for a very heavy oiling. I can always tell a difference, even after such a short time.

ole gray mare
August 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I oil in the morning, braid it and it just looks like it is wet or has "product" in it. No worries, and no one cares anyway. I wash at night. Love it! The only time this doesn't work well is in cold weather, and then I just become a head candle (because I use coconut oil.) :)

LadyLongLocks
September 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
Any oil conditioning is better than nothing. I am trying to leave mine in all day or overnight. I wear a "conditioning bun" and it looks fine to wear in public. It's actually a nice change to see the different texture of the hair with oil in it. I never oil the scalp though, just the ends or last 15". I mix coconut oil, conditioner and water and dip my hair into the warmed mixture.This mix is lighter than straight oil and works great.
You can also add a few drops of oil to your after shampoo conditioner (if you use it) it helps me detangle.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/late%2007%20and%202008%20hair%20photos/100_4482cpyrtzsygmsPHOTO2-1.jpg

granitbaby
September 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I prefer leaving it in over night but sometimes the oil only sits on my hair for 10 minutes before wash. If I haven't had the time to oil and my hair or scalp feels dry 10 minutes are better than nothing. If I have oil in my hair when I wash the cleansing ingredients doesn't disturb the natural sebum production as much.

MeMyselfandI
September 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I went my hair, put on coconut oil. I leave this on for at least an hour, I then use SMT for an hour. I then wash.

I have no idea if this the right way or not.