PDA

View Full Version : Color Enhancement

itsMEowKat
August 13th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Hi. I've been reading (and reading, and reading, and reading) and learning a lot here, but I have a question about color.

I've read a lot about Henna, and am intrigued by the results many of you have listed, but I know from experience that I don't care for red in my hair (I'm a medium brunette, and go coppery very easily). I would love something to enhance my own color, and cover the few new grays that have popped up here and there. Make it richer. Like strong coffee. Can henna do that? Is there something else? I read about a "neutral" henna with no color change but I read something about it's not permanent :confused:

Anyway, thanks in advance.
~Kat
=^..^=

shrimp
August 13th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Hello fellow Lancastrian!

Have you checked out Lush's Caca Marron and Brun?

http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Caca_Marron_1990.aspx

http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Caca_Brun_1989.aspx

(someone more helpful will be along soon I'm sure, I just mainly wanted to say hi :oops:)

wintersun99
August 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM

brixxgirl16
August 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hello fellow Lancastrian!

Have you checked out Lush's Caca Marron and Brun?

http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Caca_Marron_1990.aspx

http://www.lush.co.uk/products/Caca_Brun_1989.aspx

(someone more helpful will be along soon I'm sure, I just mainly wanted to say hi :oops:)

Shrimp, have you ever tried these personally? I naturally have rather mousy dark blonde/light brown hair, but in May got highlights put in. now they're growing out, so I don't like the roots, but want to stop the chemical dyes. I would love to go darker. Do they work? Long-lasting? Thanks for the help! :D

itsMEowKat
August 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
First, go to the Articles section and read the articles that Nightshade has written on coloring with herbs and the article on coloring with henna. Then, go to H4H and read Catherine's E-book on henna (I think there is a link in Nightshade's article) if not, the site is hennaforhair.com. Then, go to the henna thread and ask loads of questions. Henna is a commitment. It's permanent and not a decision to make rashly, most especially IF you don't want red in your hair. :)

I read EVERYTHING in the articles section, and many of the henna posts. Maybe it was information overload but I was still confused. So confused I forgot there was a Henna area and posted this here - DUH! :p

I am concerned about too much red. Less concerned about my grays (Lord knows I've earned them). I'm most interested in enhancing my hairs flat color. My hair is soft, and healthy (100% virgin & I've never used dryers or irons), but looks dull.:(

Any suggestions?

serenitygal
August 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I use a gentle and semi-permanent (lasts for about 4 weeks) dye on my hair. It contains no ammonia or peroxide, and even has jojoba oil in it. I don't know if it's available in England, but perhaps something similar? What I love about the dye is that it does give me a hint of red and lots of shine (it comes in many other colors, too) without bleaching or using any really unpleasant chemicals. The one time that I used one shade too red, it was gone in a few weeks. Also, since it fades, I don't have to worry about roots. I have no split ends, and have noticed no damage post-dye. Of course, I don't use heat, I oil frequently, and I nearly always have my hair up, so YMMV.

wintersun99
August 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Ha Ha - the information overload is understandable.

Unfortunately, I don't really have many recommendations on herbal coloring enhancements as my hair seems to really hate rinses of any kind. I've tried versions of coffee, tea, nettle, sage, hibiscus, etc. and got dry crunchy hair - ugh.

I just really wanted to make a point about researching Henna, because it's a one-way street (generally) once you get started with it. However, the "neutral" henna that you spoke of is Cassia Obovata (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cassiaobovatabuy.html) and can be used for really nice shine and condition. It does have to be done every month or so. It can be applied right after mixing for shine/no color or it can be prepared for dye release (mixed and left to sit overnight) for shine/pale blond color on your gray's (maybe?) however, I've not tried it so you should definitely ask on the Cassia thread here.

That's all I know, hopefully someone else can offer more :)

EvaSimone
August 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I read EVERYTHING in the articles section, and many of the henna posts. Maybe it was information overload but I was still confused. So confused I forgot there was a Henna area and posted this here - DUH! :p

I am concerned about too much red. Less concerned about my grays (Lord knows I've earned them). I'm most interested in enhancing my hairs flat color. My hair is soft, and healthy (100% virgin & I've never used dryers or irons), but looks dull.:(

Any suggestions?
I understand what you mean about sometimes this site can give a person information overload. My first six months her I spent more time reading and scratching my head then posting. :p

Henna is permanent and RED so considering that you don't like red I would veto henna. I have used both Lush Caca Brun and Caca Noir, they will still give you shimmery red highlights on your grays which is really nice if you like that. My mother has dark brown hair with some grays I used some Caca Brun on her hair, it didn't change the dark brown but it gave her really subtle, pretty highlights and gave her some nice shine.

If you are still interested in Henna definitely do a strand test, if you have dark brown hair you most likely will see a richer color but not so much red. Otherwise since your hair goes copperish easily be prepared for lots and lots of red. My length has been dyed and highlighted but I have six months of dark brown virgin growth, my length is a reddish brown but it's impossible to see that my new growth has been hennaed.

I know Henna for hair is selling something called Kattam which is sort of like Henna, but brown. They have a thread over in the henna area about this.

Personally I would suggest going to an African American Hair Care store and buying some deposit only, no ammonia, no peroxide dye in an ash color that is as close to your own as you can find. It will give you a bit more depth and richer color and will essentially wash away with very little to no damage.

The other thing you can do is go to a professional and get your hair permanently colored, if your grays are bothering you (which they don't seem to be) this is your best bet because the deposit only color probably won't affect the grays.

As always I would wait two weeks before making any serious decision like Henna or permanent coloring, but good luck with your decision whatever you choose. :flower:

itsMEowKat
August 14th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. Seems like henna's not for me. Although, the Cassia Obovata mentioned by wintersun99 might be an option?

I think I've got MORE reading to do. ;)

=^..^=

shrimp
August 14th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Shrimp, have you ever tried these personally? I naturally have rather mousy dark blonde/light brown hair, but in May got highlights put in. now they're growing out, so I don't like the roots, but want to stop the chemical dyes. I would love to go darker. Do they work? Long-lasting? Thanks for the help! :D

No, sorry!

I've only ever henna-ed with the intention of getting red so I've used the Caca Rouge several times but not these ones. I was considering getting some Marron, bu tdecided instead to go with rouge again.