PDA

View Full Version : Hands in hair (and hand lotion??)

Oskimosa
August 13th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I used to hear sometimes that you should avoid touching your hair because you remove natural oils from it. But if you oil your hair anyways, or otherwise moisturize and care for it, is it still such a big deal? (because I do it alot!)

Also... I have had a lifelong addiction to Jergen's lotion for my hands. I know it has all kinds of stuff in it I'd never stick in my hair again (mineral oil, silicones, unpronouncable chemicals...) and yet, it occured to me that, by touching my hair alot, that's exactly what I'm doing! Someone please tell me that silicones dry and don't rub off on hair.. or something... could that be a reason behind "blah" hair? What do you use that absorbs well and doesn't leave your hands feeling greasy?

WavyGirl
August 13th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I normally wash my hands and, if necessary apply 1 drop of oil, before touching my hair. I normally wear it up though. If I'm wearing it down I try not to touch it because it gets messed up really fast. That's more about the wavy texture than the state of my hands though.

Maybe you could try moisturising your hands with hair friendly products if it's worrying you and see if you notice a difference. Coconut or shea butter would probably be my first choices. I don't really think that running your hands through it is a problem because of removing or adding oils. For me the mechanical damage would be a bigger concern. I'm sure if your hair is in generally good condition the damage won't be great and, really, what's the point if you can't enjoy it?

BTW, why do you use things on your hands that you wouldn't use on your hair? I am more worried about what I put on my skin than my hair as that is where any nasty chemicals would be absorbed into my system.

tiny_teesha
August 13th, 2008, 04:11 AM
i moisturise my hands with the oil put my hair in, or some shea butter- which i also put in my hair :)- that takes care of the cone thing.
I'm scared my sister who uses my comb ( WHY? WHY DOES SHE DO IT!!!?!?!) and i don't let her but she still does and uses cones, back when i didn't use cones i was paranoid they would transfer to the comb to my hair.

Solange
August 13th, 2008, 04:34 AM
If I have freshly put moisturizer on my hands before taking care of my hair, I do wash it off, not because I'm worried about getting some on my hair (I simply do not have 'cone paranoia), but because it causes my hair to stick to my hands and makes it harder to handle. If you do fear transfer, though, you could moisturize your hands with the same oil you use in your hair. A good hair oil is for skin too! My bottle of jojoba oil actually specifies: "For skin and hair".

Oskimosa
August 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
WavyGirl, I use the lotion because its the only thing I have found that leaves my hands feeling nice. Everything else I've tried leaves them greasy, waxy, over-perfumed, or still dry.

I'll try some coconut oil and shea, though, maybe some jojoba.

Tiny_teesha, I caught my husband using my brush too. He also uses super chemical gel goop styling products for his curly hair, and I get scared about the 'cone and whatnots transferring to my hair too :p

Will any of these oils break my face out, since I also touch that alot too?

thankyousir74
August 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Will any of these oils break my face out, since I also touch that alot too?

I'm not shore about shea butter But I've heard coconut oil and jojoba are actually good for your skin...all in moderation though.

burns_erin
August 13th, 2008, 10:12 AM
i moisturise my hands with the oil put my hair in, or some shea butter- which i also put in my hair :)- that takes care of the cone thing.

I do the same thing.

RavenDream
August 13th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I stopped using hand lotion because I run my hands through my hair so much.

Coconut is faily pore clogging. I break out easily and haven't noticed an issue yet.

musicmomma
August 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
thanks for the tips ladies!:)

Morag
August 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Oskimosa, I massage my scalp twice a day to stimulate growth, which is a lot of hands-in-hair time. I have noticed that some of the oil from my hair transfers to my hands while I'm massaging. Lately I don't need to use hand lotion nearly as much as usual.

My mister is mostly distilled water with a little VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner, aloe vera gel, camellia oil, and a few drops each of Rosemary and Lavender EO. It's working very nicely on my hands and face, too. :grin: