PDA

View Full Version : Night Time Hair

paper
August 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I often read people oil and braid their hair before bed. I had a few questions about that.......

What kind of oil do you use?
Do you lightly oil or heavy?
Do you do this every night, or just on day before wash day?
And, what benefits do you get?

Thanks

Shanarana
August 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sometimes a day before I wash I will slather my hair with coconut oil (not to much, but enough for a nice coating). Then at night before the day I plan to wash I'll put a bit more on and braid it, and in the morning or when ever I wash it that day it comes out so soft.

Xandergrammy
August 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I braid every night, but only oil the night before a wash. I use monoi oil and I use a good amount. Maybe I'm goofy, but I enjoy the process of oiling and my oil smells so good, that I like doing a heavy oiling when I do it.

AJoifulNoise
August 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I use jojoba oil on damp hair the night before I shampoo. I honestly don't know if it helps, but I keep doing it anyway. :lol:

renarok
August 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Like the previous posters I will oil fairly heavily the night before wash day. I use ojon or my emu/camellia combo. Otherwise I save light oiling for the AM when I am fixing my hair for the day.

Finoriel
August 13th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I use different mixtures depending on the season. Main hair oils for me are coconut, olive and jojoba. In summer itīs more a hair butter with coconut and olive and in winter I tend to mist with olive-jojoba mix in water.

I prefer to lightly oil my hair the first two or three days after washing it. Itīs no strict routine, I just apply some oil when I īfeelī itīs needed. Which is usually the first few days after washing it. Only on the oldest tips, means beyond tailbone for me. Above itīs simply not necessary and tends to look greasy easily, so I skip that.
Heavy oiling is something I only do on very very rare occasions. Like once a year, more often would be overconditioning for my hair.

And, what benefits do you get?
Benefits are that the tips of my hair feel softer and get a light oil coating where the natural sebum will not reach down to condition the longest parts. So mainly itīs a sebum-surrogate. It helps to keep moisture in the hair shaft, prevents tangling, gives additional shine and braids / updos stay smooth longer.

Elanor
August 13th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I braid my hair almost every night and oil the tassel pretty heavily with jojoba oil or almond oil. Over night the oily feeling usually disappears and the tassel is really soft in the morning.

If I'm going to wash my hair in the morning I often put my hair on a pony tail, oil the whole ponytail with loads of virgin coconut oil and then braid it for the night.

The benefits are that my hair stays detangled and moisturized longer and I when I've done a heavy coconut oil pre-wash treatment my hair definitely feels stronger and smoother after washing it.

WavyGirl
August 13th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I braid every night and only oil or butter the lengths if they are extremely fly-away or I feel they need some extra babying. My ends are very damaged so I will often wet my braid tassle and add butter or oil on the wringing wet hair. I prefer shea butter because it seems to penetrate the damaged hair better instead of sitting on the surface. I don't like heavy oiling normally because I find I have to use a lot of shampoo to get it out of my hair. It makes such a difference that I can normally talk myself out of the impulse to trim I nearly acted on by doing this instead. :)

tiny_teesha
August 13th, 2008, 04:09 AM
my hair night routine consists of oil before combing (i can't comb unless i oil on most occasions) and i may give the tassel a thick oiling or shea butter for the night. I usualy plait my hair or do the caterpillar hair style. Sometimes i put it in a silk pouch i made. :)

Solange
August 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I comb my hair and braid it to the side every night, but I only oil *after* I wash. I also like doing a heavy oiling at night and wash it in the morning, but my mornings are often an inconvenient time to wash my hair, as it takes at least three hours to air dry. I use jojoba oil. I've tried coconut and olive oil, but jojoba is quite simply my favorite.

socks
August 13th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I usually don't do anything with my hair before bed, but if it's a bit dry and it's the night before a wash day, I sometimes braid it and slather the last few feet in a mixture of aloe vera gel and coconut oil a few hours before bed. Depending on how much oil I use, I sometimes have to wrap the bottom half of my braid in a couple scarves to keep the oil off my sheets. It leaves my hair much softer and smoother.

starla_zero
August 13th, 2008, 10:22 AM
For the last 2 weeks or so, I've been oiling and then braiding before bed. I use camellia oil, put a good few drops on my scalp and massage it. I think I must be getting some very light layer of oil on the lengths as I braid because my hair has been awesomely soft and shiny ever since I started doing that.

NurseMama
August 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
To the people who do oil at night, do you dampen the hair before oiling? I get really crunchy ends from coconut oil and I am wondering if it is because I am not dampening the hair first.

burns_erin
August 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I wet/wash my hair before doing light (very light oilings) on wash nights when my hair is feeling dry or flyaway. Many weekends i do a heavy oiling either Friday night or sometime saturday. then i do not wash my hair again till Sunday night or Monday morning. I rarely get all the oil out the first wash so that is why i may not have to do oil everyday. i use grapeseed oil unless i will be doing sonthing particularly bothersome to my hair like swimming in chlorine or salt, in which case i will use coconut oil-I definitely have to wet my hair before using this.

serenitygal
August 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I spritz my hair with a blend of filtered water, aloe vera gel, jojoba oil, and a "flavor of the week" EO. I make certain to shake the spray bottle well before applying to keep the mixture relatively mixed, and then french braid.
I'd say that the crown/scalp area is just damp, while the length is a good bit wetter without being soaked.
I'll add just a drop of plain jojoba oil to the braid tassel and rub it in by sliding my hands down the tassel repeatedly until the oil is absorbed.
I also tie off the braid at different lengths every night; doing it in the same spot every time can cause thinning on that spot on the length.

Elanor
August 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
To the people who do oil at night, do you dampen the hair before oiling? I get really crunchy ends from coconut oil and I am wondering if it is because I am not dampening the hair first.

I usually dampen my braid tassel or ponytail before oiling. I too get kind of dry but oily ends if I put oil on dry hair.

starla_zero
August 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I leave mine dry, only because I can't stand to sleep on damp hair/pillow :D

LilyMunster
August 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I always dampen my hair before oiling. I keep a mist bottle of orange blossom water at bedside. Mist, oil, and up. I concentrate on the last 10-12 inches of the length.

Nevermore
August 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I braid nightly now, after misting with an oil (vitamin e, soybean and coconut mix)/water/conditioner mix, just enough for dampness.

My hair has been much smoother and softer since I started doing this and since I stopped doing double braids, the tangling I associated with night braiding has ceased.

paper
August 14th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your replys.

I love to see what others routines are, then pick one best for myself.

MoonCreature
August 14th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I use a aloe-shea-jojobamix on my face every night and run my lightly oily hands through the hair as well. It's a quite light oiling. If I wash my hair in the morning I do a heavier oiling in the evening if I remember. I also oil my hair (same mixture) after washing. Hmm... This sounds like a lot of oiling :p

kowlrea
August 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
What kind of oil do you use? Castor or coconut oil
Do you lightly oil or heavy? Very lightly - if im washing the next day then I slather it on
Do you do this every night, or just on day before wash day? Every night
And, what benefits do you get? Soft happy hair

Tangles
August 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I'm like Solange, I oil my hair only when it's damp. Oiling before bed just gives me slimy hair the next morning :/

Cinnamon.locks
August 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM
For me, not general. but i do like to try new things and see what my hair likes.

R. I use a Chrome oil mix. it has several types of oils that is specially mixed for hair and skin.

R. depends, i usually oil the tassel every night. very lightly just a few drops of oil that covers the tassel hair well.

R. I oil nightly after brushing my hair to detangle. the night before i wash i do oil heavily. heavy enough that sometimes the oil drips as i braid my hair. my hair usually absorbs most of it during the night.

what benefits do you get?

R. benefits depend; i believe that the oil helps my hair use the moisture it already has and seals the hair ends so the damage is minimum. after washing ( which i usually shampoo the scalp and let the suds drift down the length.) then i squeeze the wet hair lightly before using conditioner to help the hair absorb the moisture of the condish.

One extra thing i've been doing is using a mix of Shea Butter, Aloe Vera Gel and Oil to help the moisture be sealed in after rinsing and squeezing the water out of my hair with a towel. i comb wet to detangle and then i apply a small amount ( about a dime sized glob) on my ends and length. so far my hair loves it.

sapphire-o
August 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I hope I'm qualified to reply to this. :) I braid DH's hair before bed almost every night. Sometimes I oil it, sometimes I don't, depends on if it feels dry or not. If he's going to wash next morning I might use "heavier" oils like olive or shea butter. If not I might use camellia, jojoba or rosehip oil. I mostly do it because I love braiding his soft, fine hair. It also reduce tangles and damage from sleeping. Plus it's a relaxing routine.

I don't braid or oil my own hair before bed. My hair doesn't really tangle so I don't have the motivation. :)

podo
August 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I was oiling every morning before putting my hair up. I found that the oil acted like a pretty good.. um.. hair holder. I haven't used hair spray, gel, mousse, or anything like that for years, so I was pleasantly surprised when the oil kept all the wispies in place. Have to use something light to do it every day, but I was pleased.

Now that I'm only washing once a week and using catnip I don't have to oil as often to get the softness I wanted but didn't have. The oil was helping my ends stay moisturized, but now it doesn't seem to need it.

I just got a non-oily oil today and it's more like a shine serum than an oil, but no strange chemicals in it! I predict Good Things coming for my hair!

For bed, I try to remember to put my hair up. I've decided I like a bun (of sorts) sitting directly on top of my head. I move around a lot at night, and have 2 cats and a husband who all snuggle, so leaving it down doesn't work all that well for me. I'll do a braid every now and then, but I'm always worried about the tassel getting, well, more focused damage. If you're lying down then it's always rubbing against you, your pillow, your sheets, your husband, your cats.... Damage city. So I opt for a bun-like 'do.

squiggyflop
August 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
i got a question about night time hair.. this seems the logical place to ask.. how do you keep your pillows from getting oily if you do a heavy oiling at night.. if i oil my hair at night i wake up with giant pimples.. i sleep on my face and on my side.. so my face touches the pillow after its been greasified by my hair.. ive tried sleeping with a cap but i cant keep it on when i sleep..

Arctic
August 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
i got a question about night time hair.. this seems the logical place to ask.. how do you keep your pillows from getting oily if you do a heavy oiling at night.. if i oil my hair at night i wake up with giant pimples.. i sleep on my face and on my side.. so my face touches the pillow after its been greasified by my hair.. ive tried sleeping with a cap but i cant keep it on when i sleep..

First of all, I try to find oils that agree with my acneprone skin. Secondly, I bun my hair and wrap a bandanna over it. HTH!

DarkChocolate
October 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
I put my hair in a single braid and wet the tassel then oil it with jojoba and coconut oil. It comes out soft the next day. Braiding my hair prevents it from going all over the place since I toss and turn alot.

ravenreed
October 23rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
First of all, I try to find oils that agree with my acneprone skin. Secondly, I bun my hair and wrap a bandanna over it. HTH!

I may have to try bunning and covering it. I have been oiling and braiding at night, and I have been getting a lot more acne lately. I love how my hair feels in the morning but hate to deal with even more pimples than usual. I have been using a mix of shea butter, jojoba oil, evoo and avg. My hair loves this mix. My dry skin loves it. My mom's dry skin loves it! My face, however, not so impressed. :rolleyes: I even thought about trying to make some sort of sleep cap, but decided against. I twist too much at night and would probably strangle myself.

I do dampen the ends before I use the butter/oils mix, otherwise things are just dry, lank and greasy. It seems to seal all subsequent moisture out. I tend to also put a little jojoba and evoo on the tassel in the morning. Again, I dampen first.

Does anyone else notice hair feeling coarser after oiling? I don't mind it, it gives it more texture. It is just a little weird.