PDA

View Full Version : Water Only?

musicmomma
August 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
question about the water only method... is it really water only or is it no shampoo? i have some nature's gate conditioner and was thinking once a week would be good for a CO, right? i'm new to this so be gentle with me... thanks so much. :)

Gumball
August 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, water only is pretty much just that. Still if you don't want to stay only WO you can surely put a conditioner wash in the mix now and then if you feel your hair would benefit from it. Really the different possible wash methods are only steps on finding the right path for your hair as each head tends to want to walk down a different one. If only there was a universal "good deal" out there! Haha. Experimentation is always fun though. I'm sure you'll head down a good place and find what works for you! Good luck!

Anje
August 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Just another echo that "water only" is really washing with only water. That said, some of us (me, when I was doing it) grab a few other items, such as vinegar to cut hard water buildup, and oil, in case your scalp oils don't make it to your ends. But there are not surfactants or emulsifiers involved, unlike shampooing or CO washing.

musicmomma
August 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
thanks ladies. i'm gonna take it one shower at a time i think!! :)

Shina
August 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hey I'm trying water only also. I've been wondering if it'll work on my dry frizzy curly hair. Plus I've been really scared of all ingredients in shampoos and conditioners lately. I have no idea when something doesn't have a sulfate, or anything else drying. It's too much to absorb for me as of yet. This'll be my sixth week on WO. I did notice a difference. My hair looks less frizzy. And it's a bit soft. I just hope that the sebum will moisturize my hair itself. That is the point of WO right?

harley mama
August 18th, 2008, 09:23 PM
thanks ladies. i'm gonna take it one shower at a time i think!! :)

:D That is too cute! Good luck with the WO. I know there are folks that use this method and have great success.

I use conditioner. If I didn't, I'd never get the tangles out. My curly hair doesn't miss the shampoo though.

Katze
August 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I used to really like water only washes between shampoo (CWC) washes - I could massage my scalp under the warm, running water and move the sebum down the length with my fingers. Although they didn't get my scalp as clean as shampooing, repeated "washing" with just warm running water did actually help control flakes and itching, to a point.

My hair the day after a WO wash was usually at its waviest and at its shiniest.

I've noticed, however, that as my hair gets healthier (read: more sebum!) that WO washes don't get my hair that clean anymore. The last couple of times I've tried it my hair looked like crap the next day (I shower nights) so I have gone back to only shampoo.

On another note, since the OP mentioned it, CO washing did NOT work for my scalp - i have SD/eczema and it just made it worse. Just my two cents.

Katze

daydreamer08
August 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
i use the wo method, and it has been over 2 months. sometimes my hair isnt the greatest, but i like my hair using wo than i did washing with shampoo and conditioner. but im not saying you should do it, you just need to do what is best for you. :]