PDA

View Full Version : How to make fine, flyaway hair look neat and orderly?

Meri
August 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I have the finest, messiest hair in the world- any updo I attempt will turn into a disheveled mess within minutes. I have shoulder length, damaged hair that I pull back into a ponytail most days. I'd love to be able to pull it up into a neat bun or French twist for work but while they look fine at first, by the time i make it to the office, I look like I've walked through a wind tunnel.

Is there a shortcut to making it more manageable? I would love to have the polished, not-a-hair-out-of-place look but am having no success.

sibylla
August 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
One trick is to start with a ponytail befor you twist your hair, that way it stays up all the time. Also to start out with damp hair helps. When you have done your updo finnish of with little water applied with your hands. To make your hair thicker try doinga scalp massage every evening for abou 10 minutes. I remember how frustrating it is not being able to do so many updos.

Ohio Sky
August 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
No one has the polished, not a hair out of place look. Exept in their signature pics, of course. :lol:

But you can try using aloe while styling or making up some Kimberlilly's defrizz spray to mist with after you're finished styling. Works for me.

lawyermom
August 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
aloe vera gel helps me keep my weird ends in place.

burns_erin
August 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
For me it is oiling (I use grapeseed oil). I have also noticed less flyaway mess since i switched to poo bars.

Periwinkle
August 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I used to have major flyaway problems but they decreased by about ten million percent once I discovered misting. My updos will now last a whole day with only mimimal 'flying', and heavy misting will hold even my more dramatic layers into braids for hours!

sipnsun
August 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
A few drops of coconut oil on my ends and a little Paul Mitchell Styling Foam on the roots help my updos stay in place. If my hair is freshly washed though, nothing will keep it in place so I tend to wash it the night before if I know I want to wear it up the next day.

spidermom
August 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
A little coconut oil and a little gel, or a lot of gel if there is a lot of humidity. For me, gels and styling cremes are wonderful things.

Anje
August 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM
In my experience, somewhat oily hair stays orderly much more easily than freshly washed hair. I can rub in a bit of Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream (recipes section) or olive oil, which makes fresh-washed hair more sleek. WO washing definitely made my hair more manageable, too, but the oils there are naturally occurring.

Combing a glob of aloe gel through drippy wet hair can also give you a bit more control, but it hasn't given me the results of oil.

dukkelisa
August 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I have fine hair. Very slippery in fact. Experiment with different hair toys until something works. Sock buns are terriffic for keeping hair in place. Bobby pins and hairs pins don't stay in my hair at all. I do better with hair forks or very long amish pins. A new way I have been wearing my hair is to pull my hair up as though I am going to make a high ponytail, clip it with a large french barrette UPSIDE-DOWN so that that the barrette faces the floor, twist my hair into a bun around the barrette. The barrette then rights itself upwards. This bun (like the sock bun) never slips down by the end of the day. I noticed that different lengths of hair has really different requirements. When I had shoulder length, french twists with a large french twist comb worked, now at waist length, forks work better in buns.

blondecat
August 14th, 2008, 04:48 AM
My hair got better as it got longer. It held better. I've got fine flyaway hair too.

I light oiling just before putting it up helped me :) Good Luck

Kittee
August 14th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I'm evil. I use a light spritz of hair spray to keep my "baby" hairs in place all day.

TammySue
August 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I'm evil. I use a light spritz of hair spray to keep my "baby" hairs in place all day.

I do this sometimes, too. :surprise: Also, I use a light spray of leave-in conditioner to tame the little flyaways. Sometimes after putting my Whipped Pudding on my hands (love this stuff) I will smooth my hair down with the little bit of excess left on my hands. Try different things. YMMV!