PDA

View Full Version : How I find the splits? Magic!

Gladtobemom
August 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
A long time ago, I bought a pair of cheap +3.00 reading glasses at the store.

When I want to look close up at something like a kids' possible splinter, or the ends of my hair.

Now, I wear reading glasses, so I just put them on right in front of my reading glasses and I get a close up incredibly clear view of my hair ends as I fan them out. I can see the splits and clip them much easier.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/DSCN0383.jpg

This lets you bring things close to your eyes and magnifies them at the same time. It works great and a pair of those glasses are really cheap.

I actually bought a pack of four of them at Sam's Club for $20, so now I have a pair in the first aid kit, bathroom, purse, and a couple of extras put away.

Really handy for when you need a close detailed look at something.

DragonLady
August 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Great idea!

MsBubbles
August 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Ha Ha! I just bought my very first pair of middle-aged eye deterioration glasses in the dollar store 2 days ago! I don't need them at all, but I do need them for looking at my split ends. Yes, magic!

missy60
August 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
You can also get them at the Dollar Tree for a dollar a pair.

Periwinkle
August 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ahh, that's a really clever idea!

My dad wears reading glasses and has a +3 pair for looking at screws and other tiny things - perhaps I'll borrow them next time!

mugglemomof3
August 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Thank you so much for mentioning this. I've toyed with the idea of getting reading glasses for some of the reports I have to work with that have fine writing and red font, but now that I have the excuse of being able to see splits better - there's no more wavering! I'm gonna buy some today! :cheese:

sipnsun
August 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
What a great tip! I even have a pair of those around somewhere for making bead jewelry. I always feel cross-eyed after doing a S&D. Hopefully this will help.

Samikha
August 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I always feel cross-eyed after doing a S&D. Hopefully this will help.

Me too! I did one the other day and I thought I would die of sheer frustration. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Darkhorse1
August 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hahaa---I'm of the mindset of what I can't see can't hurt me mentality. I recently did an S & D on my splits. I'm noticing thanks to you gals that my new growth is a lot less broken--I have to be honest--for ages, I wasn't really taking good care of my hair--I'd just rip out hair ties from my long hair after sweaty rides and not think of it. Oopsy. So, I have a lot of breakage high up. But, my hair grows mega fast, so I'm confident I can slowly grow out the breaks.

Anje
August 12th, 2008, 03:45 PM
For younger eyes, you might want a lower strength. I have a pair of +0.50 sitting around from when I was doing fillet crochet with fine thread, and even those have a short range where I can actually manage to focus through them. Better than squinting to count stitches, though.

I'll have to dig them out, give them a try as S&D aides.

Gladtobemom
August 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
For younger eyes, you might want a lower strength. I have a pair of +0.50 sitting around from when I was doing fillet crochet with fine thread, and even those have a short range where I can actually manage to focus through them. Better than squinting to count stitches, though.

I'll have to dig them out, give them a try as S&D aides.

She's right, I have a pair of +2.5 also, you can try them on and see what works. I like to be able to see the fingerprint on my fingers, which is really close. This is great for spliters and stuff.

atlantaz3
August 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I've "borrowed" the dh's reading glasses on top of my no line bifocals for s&d on occasion. The dh has also brought me the hand magnifying glass - but holding hair scissors and mag. glass is a recipe for chopped hair...

WavyGirl
August 13th, 2008, 04:27 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/DSCN0383.jpg

LOL! Great photo! :D I love those funky green frames.

Wouldn't help me, I'm shortsighted (3.75 in each eye) sadly.

coppercurls
August 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
That is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing with us.;)

Eryka
August 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Brilliant! I already wear contacts so this should be easy. Thanks for the tip!

MermaidGirl
August 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM
As usual, GTBM comes up with a genius idea! Love your frames, GTBM, and you have such pretty blue eyes!

Guess you gals won't have any trouble figuring out what is on my shopping list for the next time I'm at the drug store?! I had actually thought about getting a magifying glass that sits in its own holder, but then you'd have to do S&D while sitting at a table - the strong reading glasses is such a better idea. Thanks GTBM!

Saranne772
August 14th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I will be trying this ;)

Fillette
August 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM
That is a great idea Gladtobemom! I would have never thought of that. Thank you for sharing!

Teazel
August 14th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Ah, yes. I've noticed I have to hold things further away from my eyes now. :( Must get some cheap glasses for seeing close up. Thanks for the nudge!

Gladtobemom
August 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM
As usual, GTBM comes up with a genius idea! Love your frames, GTBM, and you have such pretty blue eyes!

Thank you for the compliments. My eyes are just blue, not blue with any other color, not gray, just blue. And even though DH has Hazel eyes . . . all the kids got my eyes. Gotta Chalk it up to those strong Norweigian genes.

magicatt
August 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
This is a genius idea! I am going to have to buy myself a pair now. Thanks, GTBM!

socks
August 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
That's a great idea! I wish I could use that to find splits more easily, but I'm a -4.00 in both eyes. Everything starts to get blurry about 5 inches away from my nose and reading glasses would just make it worse. :(

Gladtobemom
August 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM
That's a great idea! I wish I could use that to find splits more easily, but I'm a -4.00 in both eyes. Everything starts to get blurry about 5 inches away from my nose and reading glasses would just make it worse. :(

Then these will work great. just put them in front of your regular glasses. They will magnify and you will be able to get the hair closer. Try them at the drugstore.

DH is -3.75 and has astigmatism. If he puts a +2.75 in front of his regular glasses, he can see tiny little screws and things. He can also bring things quite close to his face.

WavyGirl
August 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I was being a complete bimbo when I made my last post. There's no reason why I couldn't do this if I get to wear my glasses too. D'oh! Unfortunately it won't work for my defective brain situation :silly:

Hue
August 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
That is a stellar idea, Gladtobemom. Thanks -- I'll try this next.

danacc
August 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
My immediate reaction: Sheer genius!

Next (cowardly!) reaction: Do I really want to know about the damage I'm not currently seeing?

With some trepidation, I plan to pick up a pair. Thanks for sharing!

trolleypup
August 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Wouldn't help me, I'm shortsighted (3.75 in each eye) sadly.
Either wear them over your regular glasses, or what I do when I need to see really close is just take my glasses off...good for when I am trying to remove fairly knots from my hair and stuff...not so good for regular S&D though, since I can only focus out to about 3 inches, unless the light is really bright.

TammySue
August 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
heh cool idea. I think I'll try it! :D

socks
August 18th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I tried this yesterday. I found a multi-colored pair of +2.00 reading glasses on sale at the craft store yesterday and walked around with them on over my regular glasses until dbf took them away from me. :rollin:They were good for looking at the seed beads.

podo
August 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
What a great idea!

MermaidGirl
October 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Unable to find a pair of reading glasses for less than $15 at the drug store (why is everything in LA so pricey?!), I thought I'd try looking online for an inexpensive pair. I found American Reading Glasses http://www.americanreadingglasses.com/ which has prices starting at $2/pair, and their shipping is quite reasonable (even internationally). http://www.americanreadingglasses.com/shipping.htm

I'm thinking of getting this pair (they are only $7!) http://www.americanreadingglasses.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=20&Product_ID=101&CATID=1 in +4.00. I know that sounds like a really high magnification, but I will only be using them for S&D and want something strong! I like these Lalique tube glasses because they will look practically invisible on, and they have their own glasses case - they look easily portable.

Gladtobemom
November 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
This morning, I was sitting by the window in the sunroom, with two pairs of glasses on, snipping splits. DH was working in the garage and told my neighbor to "go right in" without warning me.

When she walked in, I was sitting on an ottoman next to the window holding out my hair in a fanned out curtain, looking for dots with two sets of glasses on. She started laughing and said it looked like I was pulling out the grays.

Then I got a lecture about when I should give up on long hair. :nono:

After she left, I had a little talk with the DH. I asked him NOT to let non-family type people into the house without giving me SOME kind of warning.

Idun
June 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I was searching for tips on how to find splits in fine hair, and I discovered this thread! Getting a set of cheap +glasses is ofcourse a brilliant idea (-and why didn´t I think of that?)! Amazing what you can learn in here. :) Thank you Gladtobemom!:flower:

Loreley
June 27th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Good idea! Although, I heard that those are not too good for our eyes. :confused: