PDA

View Full Version : I've always been indecisive about length...

Tap Dancer
August 12th, 2008, 03:47 AM
And I think I always will be. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been back and forth between growing a little and getting my hair cut to just below my chin. That will make my hair almost all one length. My chin length bangs have some wave to them so they look a little shorter and I wouldn't want the rest of my hair to be that short. If I cut, just the very bottom of my hair would be layered. On the other hand, I enjoy wearing my hair in a ponytail. It's the only "updo" I can do. It gets boring, though. If I cut my hair, I'd let it grow back to the current length, which is a few inches below my shoulders. One thing I'm sure of is this: I love my hair at this length. It's considered long by most people (myself included), it's short enough to curl on its own sometimes after it's been washed, and the length is very flattering to me. It doesn't ever look heavy...it looks full and thick. So maybe I'll just get a trim... Or I can get the bob and have the length back by the new year... :rolleyes:

If I do get a haircut, I won't regret it. I never regret haircuts because it only takes a few months to regain the length. Even my super short hair last year wasn't a mistake. I didn't like it but I had always wondered how I'd look with short hair. Now I know and I've moved on. I won't be tempted to go short again. The best thing was that it helped me finally grow my bangs out. Decisions, decisions. :p

ETA: I'm going to try to push past the "wanting to cut" phase because it might just be the summer itch I tend to get. I won't be disappointed if I don't make it, though. Any encouragement? It might help. :)

NorthernDancer
August 12th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I understand about decisions. I used to have this habit of cutting my hair to sholder length and then letting it grow to BSL, then I have this weird place where it just seems to be in my way, and I don't think it looks pretty, then I would chop it back to sholder again. I went through that cycle for YEARS. But now that I am dedicated to reaching waist I was able to push past that "weird" length and now I love it.

You know what, if your bangs are driving you nuts and you want your hair to be all one length, then go for it. I don't know what your bang-growout looks like, but if what you don't like about it is that it's blunt, maybe if you trimmed it into a SMALL angle that might help to soften it.
But sometimes it's better to do small trims to keep it about the length it is, and wait until the layers grow out to that length. Your hair is short enough that it wouldn't take all that long (at least not as long as someone with waist length).

I hope you're happy with whatever you decide!

Tap Dancer
August 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks, ND. I think I'll leave it alone and maybe cut it around Christmas if I'm not happy by them. I'd like to at least let my bangs grow to my shoulders or longer before I make it all one length. Even then, I may decide to keep the layers. I think I'm just at an awkward stage. Once I get another couple of inches, I'll probably be happy again. :silly:

bex487
August 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I always get this way. I've had short hair most of my life, but once in a while I wish for long hair to do different updos with. Of course, I grow it and grow it and then decide to chop again. At least you have a good attitude about not regreting your decisions!

Ursula
August 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
As a practical matter, I'd say keep it at least a little longer than a bob - keep enough length so that you can pull it back into a little ponytail for when you're busy. No reason to have to deal with hair in your face.

You say that, if you trim back to a bob, you'll have the same length, but all one length, early in the new year. That means that if you do small trims and keep your current length, you'll have all one length hair at this length, at that time, as well, without doing a big chop.

Feye's self-trimming method might be useful for you, to be able to trim in a controlled way. And it would guarantee you don't loose too much length to overenthusiastic stylists.

nostalgic
August 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
As to where my hair is, I'm in the same boat as you... I would suggest waiting a little longer to cut so that way, when you cut it all to one length you can still put it all up... if that makes any sense. I used to not care about how short my hair was either, but now that I REALLY want it long (BSL or more asap, haha!) I don't want to cut it until it's longer, so I may be a little biased :p.
I think your Christmas plan is a good idea and if you still want to do it sooner, maybe follow the 2-week rule just to be sure :)

Tap Dancer
August 13th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I think the feeling has passed. I had been having a few bad hair days but my hair is looking good today. I've had layered hair at my current length before but never long and layered. I'd like to try it once. So I'll let my hair grow until my bangs are at least shoulder length or so. And I may find that I like it long better when it's layered. The thing I normally don't like about my hair being "too long" is that it's so thick and heavy. Layers should help with that. And I can easily have shorter one-length hair by next summer if that's what I decide.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm going to keep looking at all the lovely photos here and get past the summer snip itch. :D

serabelle
August 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM
It's so hard isn't it! I'm growing out from a chin-length bob-ish kind of cut at the moment too, so I completely understand! Right now I'm at a very awkward stage, where it's just too short for a pony tail, unless I wear a headband and then I look like I just rolled out of bed!

My saving grace style = pigtails!

lora410
August 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I always wanna hack off my layers, but i'd rather long hair vs one length much more :D