PDA

View Full Version : alcohol-free conditioners

girlcat36
March 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
My hair hates cones, sulfates, protein, AND alcohols! I am having success with Goth Rosary conditioner, but it is so expensive. Does anyone know of similar conditioners? I might need to get tomm's homemade conditioner recipe.

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm using two that fit this. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose at $9-$11 for an 11 oz bottle and Kinky Culry Knot Today at $12 (before shipping) for an 8oz bottle. The Kinky Curly contains cetyl alcohol which is a fatty alcohol (used as an emollient or thickener) so it should be ok, unless you are sensitive to it.

I put the prices down becuase I don't know how much your Goth Rosary is. These aren't cheap, but they are fantastic.

Tomms is cheaper, I'm sure! And, judging by his boingy curls, very effective.

girlcat36
March 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I have the AO Honeysuckle Rose, and I believe it has Cetyl Alcohol in it.

redcelticcurls
March 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have the AO Honeysuckle Rose, and I believe it has Cetyl Alcohol in it.

Nope. Double checked my bottle, but I did buy it two months ago... I like to stock up when I buy it.

Mahars
March 16th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I second the Honeysuckle Rose. It's very moisturizing and it doesn't contain any alcahols.

From my experience, cetyl and cetearyl alcahol, as well as a few others are actually very moisturizing. Everyone is different though, so you may not react the same way. Just out of curiosity, what negative effects do alcahols have on your hair?

girlcat36
March 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Cetyl alcohol is derived from coconut oil, and supposedly non-drying. My hair hates coconut oil, so this makes sense. I am Water Only on my scalp, but still need some conditioner on the ends. I am confused as to why I still get frizzy hair when I don't use product on my hair, and use only natural conditioners. I think my hair doesn't like a lot of extra ingredients, and the Goth Rosary is pretty pared down and my hair seems to do well with it. But the price!--for such a tiny bottle.
The fatty acids in AOHR are a form of cetyl alcohol:
http://www.theorganicbodycareshop.com/products-containing.asp?Ingredient=coconut_fatty_alcohol&IID=284
But again, correct me if I am wrong!

Patrycja
March 17th, 2008, 08:26 AM
have you tried Myhoneychild brand condtioners? I haven't had a chance to look at the ingrediants but their scents sound heavenly.They are a bit expensive but heres the description for the Banana scent:

UNIVERSAL

The Banana Creme Conditioner penetrates deeply to add moisture, create bounce, body and shine to dry, blow dried, colored, and relaxed hair. For hair that is blow-dried, colored, permed, and in need of improvement. Key ingredient benefits: Organic sunflower oil and oat proteins provide body. Biotin improves hair flexibility, Panthenol helps prevent blow-drying damage and reduce split ends. Glycerine binds water plumping and smoothing, organic herbal extracts beautify and protect. Its pH is 5.5 for superior shine. Pure and Natural .

and the ingrediants:
Purified Water, Soy Protein, Oat Protein, Organic Sunflower Oil, Vitamin A ,Panthenol, Biotin, Glycerin, Organic Extracts Of Corn silk, Comfrey, Marshmallow, Meadowsweet, Banana Fragrance, Vanilla Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Vanilla Bean.

go to www.myhoneychild.com for the full list of their hair products.Hope I helped!

redcelticcurls
March 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Cetyl alcohol is derived from coconut oil, and supposedly non-drying. My hair hates coconut oil, so this makes sense. I am Water Only on my scalp, but still need some conditioner on the ends. I am confused as to why I still get frizzy hair when I don't use product on my hair, and use only natural conditioners. I think my hair doesn't like a lot of extra ingredients, and the Goth Rosary is pretty pared down and my hair seems to do well with it. But the price!--for such a tiny bottle.
http://www.theorganicbodycareshop.com/products-containing.asp?Ingredient=coconut_fatty_alcohol&IID=284

Ahhh, that makes sense now. My bottle just says "coconut fatty acid cream base" which is probably some other way of saying cetyl alcohol.

Mina
March 17th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I think all AO conditioners contain denatured alcohol. It just doesn't show up in the ingredients list because AO often doesn't list the ingredients by international standards (i.e., INCI listing).

However, I saw the full INCI listing for a few products (the new Chamomile conditioners and the Rosa Mosqueta), and denatured alcohol was the fourth ingredient in the list. The first four ingredients of every conditioner read like this: water, cetyl alcohol, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice, alcohol denat. I think that in the uncomplete AO listing, the denatured alcohol might likely hides behind the term "coconut fatty acid base" or so. Thus I conclude that the AO HR most likely will also contain it.

I had a negative reaction to the HR, meaning that every time I let it sit for longer on the hair (like, for a DT), it left my hair strangely rough and straw-like. I think the denatured alcohol must have been doing this (I've had similar experiences with German organic conditioners which contained a lot more drying alcohol); the longer the exposure time, the worse. Sad, because I loved the smell and consistency of this one a lot and would have loved to be able to use it :inlove: . Oh well, the search for the HG goes on :).

girlcat36
March 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the link, ilovemycop! I will check it out.

Mahars
March 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Aah this makes sense. I've always wondered what the coconut fatty acid base was. Thanks for doing the research.

Another suggestion I can make is to try products with cetearyl alcahol (not sure about spelling). For me it softens amazingly well. Two products I really love that contain it are Whole Foods 365 conditioner (about 2 bucks for 15 ounces or so) and Beauty Without Cruelty leave-in conditioner. I just tried the BWC yesterday for the first time, so I can't comment on the long-term benefits, but it softened my dry ends like nothing else. So far, I highly recommend it!