PDA

View Full Version : Thinning Hair? Pics

jivete
August 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
My hair is fine and thin, but not super thin. I'm just on this side of normal and should increase another 1/4" when the breakage grows out. Anyway, I'm a little worried my hair is thinning, especially at the front/temples & side. I haven't noticed any major shed or anything like that, just more see-through hair. I'm a little worried I'm being paranoid, but I'm not sure.

Now, my hair has always been thinner at the sides. And I think because I'm letting my natural color come in (which is pretty ashy) the contrast makes it look worse. But I wanted to get opinions from others, especially those with thin/fine hair. It is, of course, worse looking when the hair is oily.

Thanks!

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/hair_side_L.jpg

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/hair_side_2.jpg

arylkin
August 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
A lot of people use biotin (http://ezinearticles.com/?Hair-Loss:-Biotin-is-Food-for-Your-Hair&id=126771) (a B vitamin) for hair loss.

Lixie
August 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I think your hair looks fine, I have a friend with baby fine hair and the hair at her temples looks very similar to yours. If you're really worried I agree it would be a good idea to look up information/give biotin a try. :)

kwaniesiam
August 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I had some major hairloss, even now with it growing back in my hair still does that, and always had before it because my hair is naturally very fine. Was it like that before? If so you have no worries, just be mindful of it when you put your hair up :)

Honey39
August 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I have really thick hair, and my hair does that a bit at the temples - sometimes I pull it back like you do and fret, but then I realise that it's done that all my life, and it's the hairline. And when it falls down, it's perfectly okay. I think it looks okay, like hair just does, to be honest!

Arctic
August 11th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have that too, I think it's gotten slightly more visible now that I'm "older" (31) than when I was teen, but I've always had temples like that.

vampodrama
August 12th, 2008, 01:30 AM
my hair is exactly the same... you can see my scalp just randomly and it kinda freaks me out, cos I don't have super-thin hair or anything.... well I always thought I did, but this forum showed me my thickness was average.

so I'll be watching this thread very closely for further tips and wisdom :)

Arctic
August 12th, 2008, 01:37 AM
--- cos I don't have super-thin hair or anything.... well I always thought I did, but this forum showed me my thickness was average.

I was the same, though i must say that my hair has gotten thicker since I started hennaing and more so since I joined here :)

kate46
August 12th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I have very fine/thin hair, I have had a lot of new growth around my temples since I stopped chemically dying my hair in February 07 but my temples still look like this even with the new growth especially if my hair is a little greasy. Try not to worry about it, it is normal and I doubt anybody notices except you.
One thing I have found that helps:- When I pull my hair back for a ponytail or bun I smooth those sides gently with a BBB brush, this helps to stop my hair clumping together and fills out the spaces that show my scalp. HTH :flower:

lady G
August 12th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I have fine hair and when I grow it and tie it back mine kinda does that too. I have mine in a chin length bob now though, I got sick and had it cut and I like it much better as my hair looks thicker when its short. Not that I am suggesting you get it cut no way!!! just those of us with fine hair have that problem of the scalp showing through in places....... its just you feeling paranoid about it, I bet nobody else even notices it hun!

Periwinkle
August 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM
It could be thinning (I don't know what it looked like before), but I have insanely thick hair and it's still like that at the temples. Every time I tie it back tightly (if it's loose, the hair flops over so you can't see that at all), I think 'oh no, oh no, it's all falling out', but every time it grows out and the temples are still like that and the rest of my hair is fine.

tiny_teesha
August 12th, 2008, 04:21 AM
i read somewhere that hair starts to thin and receed at 30....but who knows if it is true, and if genetic variation varies the age at which it starts.

jivete
August 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been trying to look at the sides of random people's hair to see if theirs is as see-through looking but I think I just needed a little assurance that others noticed the same thing and it was no big deal

I do take biotin, flax oil & a regular vitamin. I also quit using shampoo and box dye back in February. For the last 6 weeks or so, I've been doing the Monistat and as soon as I'm out of this tube, I plan on buying some Bhringaraj oil to use in my scalp massages.

To be honest, I'm not for sure if it's thinner than it was 10 years ago or not. I may just be more observant or more particular or just looking at other's people's hair and wondering if mine is normal, or being obsessive... :rolleyes:

sipnsun
August 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
My best friend's hair is very thick and you can see her scalp just as well as you can see mine. I've noticed mine is more noticable since I quit bleaching it. But I don't think your hair looks thin at all, you are lucky to have all of that curl!

vampodrama
August 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been trying to look at the sides of random people's hair to see if theirs is as see-through looking but I think I just needed a little assurance that others noticed the same thing and it was no big deal

I can assure you that there are a lot of people with scalp showing like that.

I've been people-watching XD

not that it's my hobby or anything, but it's kinda comforting to know that I'm not a hair freak or anything. :o

Morningglory
August 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
If you stopped using shampoo it is possible that your hair folicles are getting plugged. You could read about the nioxin shampoo that is supposed to act the same as moistat for growth but cleanses out the folicle. I myself should check it out. Also, you could be recovering from the box color it would take about two years to get back to virgin hair at your length and with all of the changes your scalp may be reacting. Maybe your scalp does not like the monistat? And if you plan on doing scalp massages with oil it will seem like you are having your hair fall out because oiled hair will kindof come out in your hands with oil scalp massage. I would suggest to not massage too vigourously.:) Also, maybe give your scalp a break and be easy on it. :rolleyes:

I have very thin hair at my temples it never grows long but sometimes it is worse than others and I try to be mindfull of what is going on that may be effecting it like stress, product, etc... and it does improve when I am well.:cheese: