PDA

View Full Version : Wear hair up for a month/few months/year challenge!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I know there were quite a few of us involved in these challenges. And although I did not start any of them, I figured we could use a new, consolidated Wear Hair Up for x-amount of time challenge thread. Hadn't seen one pop up yet, so here it is!

Everyone seemed to have their own goals and things they wanted to achieve through the challenge. Some wanted to practice benign neglect and forget about their hair for a bit, others wanted to learn new updos, some wanted to stop playing with it, others were in it for the protection of their strands, some were just in for a personal challenge. I fall into all of these categories.

Oh! Rules! They seemed to vary from challenge to challenge, and person to person, and they were rarely rigid, but here's the general idea:
Hair up = updo of some sort that requires all of your hair (I don't think bangs/fringe count). Half-ups don't count as up.
Most all challenges included room to move when it came to drying your hair. Not everyone likes to put their hair up when it's still more than damp. I know I don't.
In the year challenge, the common goal seemed to be 95% of the time (so ~12 days off).
Most of the month/few month challenges seemed to be going for every single day and would tack an extra day onto their challenge if they wore their hair down for a special occasion.

My challenge started January 7th, 2008. Originally, I thought I'd go for a month, learn a few new 'dos, keep my hair protected, and be excited about new growth after a month. Then I started to enjoy the challenge of waking up every day and saying "Hmm... What should I do with my hair today?" and wanted to go for a year. DBF vetoed the one year challenge. I'll still be wearing it up at work for the most part when he comes home as it's easier to keep it from tangling with my headset this way, but he loves my hair down and I love him too much to deny him seeing it down often when he's been in Iraq for 15 months.

So mine's become a "Wear hair up until DBF comes home from Iraq" challenge. And today is day 60.

It's in a french braid with the ends tucked under and secured by a scrunchie as it's comfy and I was lazy.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300899-1.jpg
Not my best, but I hardly see anyone now that I've started nights.

So yes. Join in if you want to and aren't already involved. Those who are involved, this is the place to keep us posted and seek support on those "My hair won't cooperate and I miss the way it falls on my shoulders/back/bum/etc!" days. I'm sure we all have them.

Who wants to play?

rhosyn_du
March 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I was just about to post exactly this, Smokie. You know what they say about grape mimes. No, wait... ;)

I started the "hair up for a month" challenge on January first, and I decided some time in February to go ahead and do the year-long challenge since I'd had it up every day, anyway. So, that'd make today day 68 for me (wow; it doesn't seem like that long).

My own personal challenge rules are to keep my hair up except when it's drying, when I'm doing formal ritual, and when my husband makes puppy eyes at me until I agree to wear it unbraided to bed.

Today, my hair is up in a peacock twist held with my trusty black-and-white leopard print Ficcare (my current favorite hair toy).

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I guess I have been a member of this group for ages, since I hardly ever wear my hair down anymore since I started growing my hair. I fear tangles and such. I usually have it up in my standard bun while waiting for my hair to get longer so I can do the figure 8. My hairtoy of choice varies.

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 01:54 AM
rhosyn_du! Hi! Now there's a siggy I've missed seeing! Good going on the 68 days.

You reminded me that I forgot to mention my personal rules. Was too busy trying to remember the general rules.
Mine's up till DBF comes home, of course. Half-ups don't count. Bangs can be loose. Slathered in henna/DT/whathaveyou and covered with a showercap/turbie counts as an updo. Exceptions are when drying (until dry to photograph if needing to take a length or color while still curly shot) and when washing/applying goop. Hair will also be allowed down for a day when I go for the "He's coming home next week!" trim.

So basically, I'm going for 5.5ish months and allowing myself one off day. Two if I feel like I desperately need a trim before May. I may slack off in the last week or two to experiment with ways to give myself big loose curls for extra length the day he comes home. Hehe.

ETA: eadwine! Welcome to the bunch!... I think? It's good to see you too!

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I never joined on the old threads, figuring since I wore it up all the time anyway there is hardly a challenge? I did follow things though! :)

tiny_teesha
March 8th, 2008, 05:17 AM
yep i have joined the year one. I counted on my days from the month one...i think i will be finished by this october or something?
My hair is currently drying but will be in a briad for bed. good idea i was not sure to start a new thread on this or wait until the old one is up so i keep track of my day number! I think i am up to 140 days roughly. I know i was on 90 something the other month....lol.

eta- Here are the links to my last day end of 1 yr hair up challenge!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=324247&postcount=2260
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=329471&postcount=2281

What I found/learnt by doing this, and my progress, as well as photos :P

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Teesha! Hi! I've missed you!

Glad to hear you're still going strong and glad to see you back. :)

I'm still at work (it's 630am here) so it's still in my tucked french braid. Might get in a workout, have a beer, and fall asleep in it too. Hehe.

Masara
March 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I'm the same as Eadwine, it's not really much of a challenge for me as I've never really worn my hair loose once it got below my shoulders. It got to just above shoulder in April last year and I've worn it up since. But I will be looking in on this thread to get suggestions

AJoifulNoise
March 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I'm in the first week of my month long challenge. Yep, I'm back.

Day 6 is a very wet cinnabun with clippies under a bandana. I'm going to be working with children today so it's going to be safely tucked away. Besides, the theme is the wild west, so the bandana is perfect!

CaraLynn
March 8th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I was on day four, then I kinda forgot about it when LHC crashed, but I will start again! Today my hair is just in a french braid, since I'm just cleaning and stuff around the house.

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
AJoifulNoise: Good to see you in here too! And welcome(ish?) to the challenge! Enjoy the kids today!

CaraLynn: Welcome back to the challenge! With any luck, this thread will wind up as full of ideas and pictures as the last three. How long are you going for?

Meli
March 8th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm on this challenge as well! I've been far too obsessed with S&D-ing while LHC was down (probably some kind of withdrawal, LOL), and I'm also experiencing a growth stall at the moment. So I really should put my hair up and forget about it for a while ;) For me, the real challenge is not so much wearing it up, but to not measure after every wash and not S&D for at least one month. I will only allow myself to measure on the 1st every month.

Today is day one and my hair is up in a Soft Nautilus bun held with a homemade hairstick.

AnneAdeline
March 8th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I had a goal of one month up and made that goal before LHC crashed. Then I kinda let it slip. I wear my hair up most days anyway, but now I'm gonna try again to have it up every day.

My rules: two braids count as up (this is my favorite last-minute 'do), it is ok to leave it down when it is drying, and for special occasions I can leave it down. Hope I can go for a month!

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Meli: Welcome! I've actually never done the S&D thing, though I feel I should give it a whirl sometime. I've only ever seen one or two splits in my hair. They're hard to see with the curls! I'm also doing this challenge so I'll stop obsessing so much about length. Obsessing about how many ways I can put my hair up is totally acceptable. :P

AnneAdeline: Welcome back to the challenge! And two braids totally count as up. Pretty sure that's been a common rule save for people who were using the challenge to get away from simply braiding their hair every day and learn new buns and things.

Good luck y'all! I'm about to go to bed. Think it's staying in my french braid though I may untuck the ends.

nappywomyn
March 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Oooh! HI again, all! I was part of the hair up for a year challenge - but I don't remember when I started... I know I was around day 13 or so when the board went down, and I've stuck to it since then..... so - I dunno, how long was the board down?

I'm REALLY enjoying my hair MORE now, it seems....and it seems to be responding REALLY well to what I'm doing....or not doing, more precisely.

nowxisxforever
March 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not officially part of the "wear hair up for x amt of time" club, but since I started specifically growing my hair a year or two ago, I've kept it up in a bun or braided probably at least 90% of the time. I've started leaving it loose but tossed over my pillow when I sleep, and while being home sick I've left it down a fair amount, just because it makes me feel better and I'm otherwise miserable when home sick, haha. But so far as being outside, near other people? Up, up! :] I have to specifically plan/try to keep my hair down if I want to or if it's been requested.

angelthadiva
March 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Day 108, French braided after CWC to dry...Looking for some killer waves for tomorrow :)

redhead_rachel
March 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I fell off the wagon my second "wear hair up" challenge when LHC was down *slaps wrist* I did a month from 11th Dec-11th Jan, and had aout 2 1/2 ins growth, so I might start another one soon...

Glad to be back!!!

tigerlily
March 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I wasn't part of this before, but I was starting to think it would be a good idea. I wear my hair up almost all the time anyway but I would like to learn a few more styles instead of doing the same bun everyday. Also my hair is a bit past classic now so I need to rethink what I can do with it...

I think I will try for one month with a new style everyday (I really hope the old boards are available again soon!)

Hairytale
March 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I am a participant of the year challenge and am on day 99. Wow, I have to do some special updo tomorrow, as it's going to be my 100th day with hair up! :)

Gothic Lolita
March 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I envy all of you! I don't think I could wear my hair up an entire year, I had troule with a month!

But I swore myself, that I'll wear it up until Easter. One week in school is left, then two weeks vacation. So hopefully, when school starts again, the surprise effect is a bit bigger....

Juanita
March 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I jioned this challenge so that I would try new updos as I wear my hair up most of the time. Too hot and humid not this time of year. Have to admit to falling off the wagon though. and doing the same do for days on end.

Cheers
Juanita

Smokie
March 9th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Welcome newcomers! Glad to hear some of you also kept things up (teehee. I made a pun.) while LHC was down. And to those of you just starting, I wish you luck. We'll be here for moral support, eh?

Day 61: I wanted my hair to be a bit looser today, so I made a ponytail. Also wanted to be able to see the new color on my curls in the sunlight after work in the morning. It's been a long while since I've worn one and my hair has grown a bit, so I keep shaking my head to feel my hair hit my ears. Haha. I took a picture while it was still damp which I will update with a bit later. Will likely add pictures in the sun as well. Teehee.

ETA pictures! For some reason I'm very happy with and excited about my simple pomp and pony today. I think it's something in the henna. I also experimented with adding a bit of glycerin to my normal aloe + oil that I put on my head. Results are astounding. I'm 2/3rds of the way through my shift and the short frizzies that normally jump free of updos are still firmly in place.

Damp this "morning":
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300903-1.jpg

From the front (pardon the untamed mess of eyebrows):
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300905-1.jpg

And I took one at my desk just now 'cause the only other person on my shift tonight (we have a sicky) just left so I don't have to be mocked for taking a picture of the back of my head:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300909-1.jpg
My curls seem looser today... Awesome!

rhosyn_du
March 9th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Day 69: I spent most of the day with my hair covered in henna and piled on top of my head, but now it's in a very messy french twist held with a pair of cheap (but very cute!) black and silver plastic hair sticks I got from Claire's.

SugarBabydoll
March 9th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I haven't done this before but I will go for the one month challange. Hopefully it will prevent some splits which I have had a lot of lately >.<

florenonite
March 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Right, I'm going to attempt this (again) for a month. I'm going to allow myself to wear my hair down for a few hours during the day if necessary (for instance, if I want to lie down on the bed, I'm not going to take out my bun and put in a braid, I'll just take out the bun and redo it when I get up). I'm going to bun my hair most days: I've got three different hairsticks and a fakkare (I think I prefer the sticks over the fakkare), but at least once a week attempt a different style. Tomorrow I'll try a herringbone braid, as I haven't tried one of those in ages. I'm going to manage this this time!

Meli
March 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Smokie: Your hair looks gorgeous! And the ribbon makes a lovely contrast to your haircolour!

Day 2: Lazy day with really boring weather and I have a slight headache... :uhh: My hair is still in my sleep braids and I will probably keep them all day. But at least all of my hair is contained.

AJoifulNoise
March 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Smokie! I had fun with the kids. It was great.

Day 7: Chinese Bun with a black stick and a little jewel flower accent (for anyone looking closely). Pics will be in my journal.

Smokie
March 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Aww! Thanks Meli! The ribbon's for DBF. We don't have a home, so I don't really have a tree to tie a yellow ribbon 'round. I've taken to wearing them in my hair when I make styles that allow it. He likes it 'cause it's "Old School". And the haircolor's new. Yay henna!

SugarBabyDoll: Welcome to the challenge! Hopefully keeping the hair up will help prevent more splits. I started my challenge just after a good trim and have only recently taken to looking for splits while my hair's down to dry. I've only found one so far and it was on one of the short hairs that keep getting broken by my headset at work! Perhaps try oiling the ends well and often and keeping them tucked into your 'dos?

florenonite: Hey! Your hair is probably only an inch or so longer than mine! Let me know when you figure out new things you can do. I seem to be coming up short on ideas for myself lately. And welcome to the challenge to you too!

New hair color and the slightly looser curls I've always wanted (could just be from being braided so much and then only dampened and scrunched instead of washed, but a girl can hope!) from henna are making my challenge much more difficult. I want to leave it down and feel it on my shoulders and be able to stare at the color all the time. Ugh.. I was -not- having these problems the last two months. What happened?

Le sigh.. Perhaps I'll try sleeping with it down today. I haven't done that since joining LHC. Might curb my desire a bit.

Smokie
March 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Smokie! I had fun with the kids. It was great.

Day 7: Chinese Bun with a black stick and a little jewel flower accent (for anyone looking closely). Pics will be in my journal.

Bah! Post pictures here! I always loved your pictures in the old hair-up thread. Besides, I don't want to be the only one posting shots of my hair every day. **pouts profusely** You have to admit the thread needs more pictures.

Taking shots of my hair has become my favorite method of making sure I'm happy with a 'do. Haha. My photobucket account has grown quite a bit thanks to LHC and I think DBF is beginning to grow weary of seeing only pictures of the back of my head. That's why I took a picture of my face today.

AJoifulNoise
March 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Bah! Post pictures here! I always loved your pictures in the old hair-up thread. Besides, I don't want to be the only one posting shots of my hair every day. **pouts profusely** You have to admit the thread needs more pictures.

Taking shots of my hair has become my favorite method of making sure I'm happy with a 'do. Haha. My photobucket account has grown quite a bit thanks to LHC and I think DBF is beginning to grow weary of seeing only pictures of the back of my head. That's why I took a picture of my face today.

Oh, alright! :p Since you twisted my arm. Yes, I admit that it does need more pictures. I got in to the habit of taking a shot of my 'do everyday in December so it was very strange not to do it in January and February!

I'll start posting the pics tomorrow. The ones I took today were fuzzy from the usual rukus I make at church.

nappywomyn
March 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'll share an old updo, just to keep things going....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2250973919_ef583cda76_m.jpg

Smokie
March 9th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'll share an old updo, just to keep things going....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2250973919_ef583cda76_m.jpg

Oh WOW! Your updos are always so intricate and gorgeous. No fair. Welcome back, btw. ;)

As for me and my day... 62? I couldn't get the equilibrium bun to work at home today. So I made a chinese bun.... which managed to start falling down within about five minutes of getting to work. It looked blah from the start anyway. So I just took it down and managed to make an equilibrium bun (very comfy this time) on the first try. Go figure. I'll update with pictures later... when I'm the only one here, I'll take a couple. Or take my camera outside with me on a break or something. Heh.

angelthadiva
March 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Day 110 for me! I'm rocking a chinese braided bun w/a sparkly stick...Will update w/pic later, but here is the same style from yesterday w/a greydog (if it will let me load the pic, that is)...I'm super happy to report that DS13 measured my length last night, and I'm measuring in at 42.5!!!!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/100_1254-1.jpg

Gothic Lolita
March 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I won't post a picture, because I did'n t do anything special today. Just a high ponytail, which I braided. And thanks to stormy weather in Germany it looks ruined!

thunderlilies
March 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'm sorta in too. I wear my hair up everyday - except when I'm home sometimes I let it down... Feels good :P

nappywomyn
March 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Mrrr. Once the archive is back up, I'll figure out my day count.... :lol It's been at least 60 days, though. *nod*

My hair will be up in the same style til Wednesday - a crown twist across the front, and two flat twists in the back.....

I definitely think I'm seeing at least some growth - it feels like I'm working with more hair, somehow.

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone!!! I'm just so full of happiness this morning! I've been gone since Friday morning and what do I discover upon my return???? LHC is back!!!!

So anyway, I started the Hair Up for a Year Challenge. This is what I found on Google describing the challenge rules:

Our goal is Hair Up For a Year, 95% of the time.

This equals 346.75 days.

Or 8,322 hours.

Or 499,320 minutes.

So please, feel free to wear your down one day a month if you want to! (that makes it 353 days with your hair up) Find a plan that works for you, because really, the goal is to have, at the end of the year, longer, stronger, healthier hair!

That being said, today is day 101 for me! I have 264 days left in my challenge. Today's updo is 2 little messy buns atop my head. They're very, very silly.

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Oh! Hi Nappywomyn! It's nice to see you again!

nappywomyn
March 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hi Iggie!!! :) Good to see you too!!

Smokie
March 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone!!! I'm just so full of happiness this morning! I've been gone since Friday morning and what do I discover upon my return???? LHC is back!!!!

So anyway, I started the Hair Up for a Year Challenge. This is what I found on Google describing the challenge rules:

Our goal is Hair Up For a Year, 95&#37; of the time.

This equals 346.75 days.

Or 8,322 hours.

Or 499,320 minutes.

So please, feel free to wear your down one day a month if you want to! (that makes it 353 days with your hair up) Find a plan that works for you, because really, the goal is to have, at the end of the year, longer, stronger, healthier hair!

That being said, today is day 101 for me! I have 264 days left in my challenge. Today's updo is 2 little messy buns atop my head. They're very, very silly.

I was wondering why you didn't post a year-up thread the first day LHC was back! Haha. Welcome back!

Of course... I did get a bit trigger-happy and decide to start it when I hadn't seen one similar pop up in the first 12ish hours of LHC being back... >.>

Hair is currently in a towel freshly clarified and about to be covered in my miconozole + EO + carrier mix (scalp only of course) and a modified SMT then covered with a showercap and wrapped in a turbie for bed. HEhe. If the weather looks like the sun's going to be out tomorrow there's a good chance of me leaving my hair down for the day (I'm up at night and sleep during the day, so the sun will be down before I wake up)... or maybe very loosely braided. Want it to be pretty and down just to take pictures of my color on day 5 after a good DT and wash, you know?

Sleeping with my hair down didn't alleviate any of my strange new desire to wear my hair down. :(

Neorah
March 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Do you guys mind a relative newbie hopping on board? :o You all have such pretty hair, and there are so many pretty and inventive updos. I hope I get to the point where I can do so many nice things with my hair! My current updo skills are lacking at best...

As it currently stands, I only wear my hair completely up about half of the time at most. My current goal is to wear my hair up for the rest of the month-- so, for 22 days including today-- allowing for a little time for drying as it would otherwise stay damp indefinitely! Also, I think I may allow a free day on a weekend, since my SO really loves when I wear my hair down.

Today, my sleep braid is twisted into a messy bun, and held with an ouchless elastic and... a pencil. :rolleyes: It's definitely time to invest in some hairsticks.

angelthadiva
March 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Do you guys mind a relative newbie hopping on board? :o You all have such pretty hair, and there are so many pretty and inventive updos. I hope I get to the point where I can do so many nice things with my hair! My current updo skills are lacking at best...

As it currently stands, I only wear my hair completely up about half of the time at most. My current goal is to wear my hair up for the rest of the month-- so, for 22 days including today-- allowing for a little time for drying as it would otherwise stay damp indefinitely! Also, I think I may allow a free day on a weekend, since my SO really loves when I wear my hair down.

Today, my sleep braid is twisted into a messy bun, and held with an ouchless elastic and... a pencil. :rolleyes: It's definitely time to invest in some hairsticks.

Heck no! The more the merrier! :) Welcome aboard! Oh, yes to the hair sticks! You can do many cool things with them! And honestly, you do get what you pay for :)

Elfling
March 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
You know, the hardest thing about wearing my hair up is that my inner mental image of me is with my hair down. It feels weird to catch myself in a window and not see all the hair as well. I'm sure I'll adjust, I've only been wearing it up for the last couple of weeks, but it's an odd sensation.

Neorah
March 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Heck no! The more the merrier! :) Welcome aboard!
Thank you!

Oh, yes to the hair sticks! You can do many cool things with them! And honestly, you do get what you pay for :)I was eyeing some Ketylos earlier today... My wallet is saying "No", but my hair is shouting "Yes, yes, yes!" :lol:

ETA:

You know, the hardest thing about wearing my hair up is that my inner mental image of me is with my hair down. It feels weird to catch myself in a window and not see all the hair as well. I'm sure I'll adjust, I've only been wearing it up for the last couple of weeks, but it's an odd sensation.
I can definitely relate to this. I also think that wearing my hair down is more flattering to my facial features, so sometimes it's harder for me to feel confident that I look good when my hair is up, which can make me start the day off all wrong...

nappywomyn
March 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I consider myself LUCKY that my hair is too short for sticks, still. I plan on spending all the time I'm waiting for it to get long enough playing with my ears. :laugh: The sticks will be next!

ycelong
March 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have been wearing my hair up since around Christmas 2007 I think I have had it down maybe 5 days since then. I lost count though.......
But I want to be part of the challenge.
My DH hates it up and I prefer it down too. I look better with it down. Since I want it long it will have to go up!! :)

Gothic Lolita
March 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Is it allowed to waer it down at home? My boyfriend loves it down and I want to be pretty for him!

But I'll wear it more up in schhol. If I hadn't these damned layers I could do more things, but many style are looking terrible because ends are sticking out everywhere. :(

Smokering
March 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I pretty much always wear my hair up anyway, but I need to start getting more creative. Most of my favourite styles take way too long to do, and I never mastered the 'fling it in a bun, shove hairsticks in it and leave the house looking radiant 20 seconds later' routine, which some of you seem to have down pat! But I finally got around to sanding my hairsticks down to non-snagginess, so yesterday I tried an orchid wrap (thanks AprilElf!), which was moderately successful. Only the hairstick kept poking me in the back of the neck and giving me a fright. :p

Anyway, I think I'll hang out here for a bit to gain easy updo inspiration! I really want to master some quick, decent-looking 'dos before the baby arrives, because I won't have time to spend languidly arranging my hair, and I don't want to spend the next two years in fuzzy sleep braids!

AJoifulNoise
March 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Day 8 for me. The usual cinnabun with clippies, but I used larger clips. My normal ones are about half or a third the size of these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/ONE.jpg

It's fuzzy because I shampooed today. I can't control all of the little hairs when I shampoo. So, because of that and the fact that today is my "clean the house" day...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March102008Upload005.jpg

I covered it with my favorite bandana.

Neorah
March 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Joiful, is your cinnabun held up with only those tiny little clips?

Here's a picture of my messy braid bun from today, stylish pencil included:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/th_31008.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/31008.jpg)

I think that these are my favorite kind of bun on myself so far, because they are asymmetrical and look all loopy and complicated when they are actually about the simplest thing possible. :lol: Also, they hold well in my hair.

AprilElf
March 11th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I'm getting psyched up to do my own wear hair up for a month challenge soon. :)
It shall be in April --my birth month-- and I shall do a different updo every day. No days off, but I can let my hair loose for a few hours in the evening when I'm relaxing at home. (I always sleep with my hair in a braid.) So far I have a list of 19 styles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=251) to try; I need 11 more ideas!

Smokering, have you tried a heart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3cmT8GfL0)(or pretzel?) bun? This is my latest acquisition and I wore it today. It was good. :p

Smokie
March 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Day 63: Rinsed out SMT and MN, washed, conditioned, oiled, etc. Left down until 100&#37; dry. Checked the weather. Discovered it's gonna be another day with no sun. Tied up in a loose ponytail with a yellow satin ribbon. Blah.

Also, I totally failed to photograph my equilibrium bun yesterday. Got sidetracked helping saran wrap a friend's cubicle and fill it with helium balloons for her birthday. Hope I don't come in to a similar fate on Thursday night...

ilovelonghair
March 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I have been wearing my hair up since xmas and am planning to do it for a while longer, so far I can alseady see the benefits!

AJoifulNoise
March 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Joiful, is your cinnabun held up with only those tiny little clips?

Yep, just the clips. It is really secure, surprisingly enough.

Usually I use even smaller ones. But, with those I use 7. I'm sure I'll do that soon and post a picture. It's my favorite 'do.

Smokie
March 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Usually I use even smaller ones. But, with those I use 7. I'm sure I'll do that soon and post a picture. It's my favorite 'do.

I meant to comment on the clippy buns earlier. I've fallen in love with them too as I can make my cinnabuns fluffier with them. Then it looks like I have lots of hair 'cause my bun isn't tiny!

frizzinator
March 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'm still wearing my hair up. I think I started this challenge in January, but I've been wearing my hair up everyday for at least 5 months.

I really appreciate this challenge, because before LHC went down, I was photographing my updo everyday specifically to post in this thread. I learned a lot from looking at those photos. Oddly enough, I did not notice these things when I looked in the mirror.

I learned that all updos look much better with certain hairtoys than others. I also learned that I did not like the look of long hairsticks as much as I liked the look of shorter ones. I don't know why I couldn't see these things when I looked in the mirror. It was so obvious in the photos.

I continued to photograph my updo everyday while LHC was down. It was an enlightening activity. I basically photographed 15 different updos with a variety of hair toys.

I quit taking photos last week, but I will continue to photograph any new updos I learn and all the updos I know with any new hair toys I buy. I've made a portfolio of my favorite updo photos, which I keep handy to remind me to keep practicing each updo so that I don't lose what I've learned, and also because I immediately know which hairtoys look the best with a particular updo.

Neorah
March 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Impressive! I don't think I'm skilled enough yet to secure my hair with that little hardware. It looks very cute, though. :)

Today my hair is in a flipped-up ponytail, held with a black octopus clip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/th_31108.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/31108.jpg)

Nothing fancy, and it barely even counts as an updo, IMO, because the length and ends are still totally exposed... But I was too tired this morning to do anything else. Stupid daylight savings time changes get me every time.

ETA:

I continued to photograph my updo everyday while LHC was down. It was an enlightening activity. I basically photographed 15 different updos with a variety of hair toys.
I would love to see the pictures of your updos; you should post them!

frizzinator
March 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Neorah, I'm thinking of using the blog or album feature of this website to post all of them. It's too many photos for this thread.

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Neorah, I'm thinking of using the blog or album feature of this website to post all of them. It's too many photos for this thread.

Oh, PLEASE put them in an album - I would so love to see that! Your pictures were one of the things I looked forward to in this thread!

Gothic Lolita
March 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Day 3: A rope bun, and is was secure the whole day and even survived sports lesson!

What is an equilibrium bun? Could someone post a picutre? I think it sounds really interesting.

Hairytale
March 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM
When I imagined about doing a half-up, I had the strange worry that someone would pop out of nowhere with big scissors and cut off my hair! :D
So another reason to keep my hair up against my head...:D

Islandgrrl
March 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Day 102 for me. It's up in a "Long Clamp Bun" I got directions for on the Dressy Tresses site. Secured with a beautiful be-jeweled hair clamp that is WAY fancier than anything else I have on today.

frizzinator
March 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you Nappywomyn for your kind words.

Gothic Lolita, since I just learned the Equilibrium bun, and am wearing it today, I took a photo but it is not loading on my computer, I guess my photo software isn't working properly, so I'll post it whenever I can unless someone else posts a photo of it.

I can tell you that it looks like a cinnamon bun, except the coil is the same size from the center of the bun to the outside of the bun, instead of being bigger in the center and tapering off at the end....because the length of your hair is folded in half and it is twisted into a cinnamon bun.

AJoifulNoise
March 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Day 9. Last night I discovered that I can now make a decent braided chinese bun. One that holds! So, that's what I've done today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March112008Upload004.jpg

Meli
March 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Day 3: Just an ordinary English braid.
Day 4: Chinese braided updo (found the instructions at the Dressy Tresses site).

AnneAdeline
March 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Day 1: Two French braids
Day 2: Two Dutch braids.

I'm trying to decide which I like better.

Smokie
March 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Teesha was so much better at being the OP than I am. I forgot to welcome new people and whine about wanting to see Frizzinator's pictures too. Blargh.

Welcome to those new to the challenge and welcome back to those who kept it up or are starting again!

Day 63: I think I'm keeping my diagonal french sleep braid today. I might do another DT or something (see if I can get the portions right on an SMT this time). But if not, it stays in the sleep braid because I don't have to go anywhere on my day off.

chloeishere
March 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Day 3: A rope bun, and is was secure the whole day and even survived sports lesson!

What is an equilibrium bun? Could someone post a picutre? I think it sounds really interesting.

I'm not actually a member of the challenge (eventually, maybe, when I can do more than a French twist with any sort of regularity!), but I was clicking through and saw this.

Click here (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1605)... there's also a video on page four by OhioLisa. There's several pictures in the thread, including my pitiful baby one.
It's going to be added to the articles, eventually.

angelthadiva
March 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Day 111--English Braid
Day 112--Did CWC this AM, it's down drying, but I'm getting ready to pull it back into a braid.

ilovelonghair
March 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
You people realy put work in your updo's! Mine are mostly just a plain bun, I'm too lazy to do something special. It reminds me to start being more creative!

Lasiren
March 12th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I've been doing this since December :) I don't know what day I am on exactly, but I plan to go at least until the spring equinox, if not longer. I usually do one of two updos, though -I'm lazy! Either a single bun if I have dance, or two braided buns if I don't :p
Sometimes I cheat and just braid it, but that's if I'm home and sheltered from the weather. I'm in this for protection of my hair.

Neon Gloss
March 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
This is definitely my kind of challenge. In the past, I've read that wearing your hair up more often causes it to stretch so that it seems as if it's growing faster. I'm not sure whether I should be scared or excited. =P

I always wear my hair up on weekdays and sometimes a full weekend--I've been doing this since last May when I got a job that requires me to wear my hair up. I love it.

AJoifulNoise
March 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Day 10 of 32: Dutch Braid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March122008Upload016.jpg

Neorah
March 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I'm a bit ashamed to post my ugly lumpy braid after Joiful's lovely but here it is anyway. :o

Day 3: An english braid, with just one layer of french braiding at the top:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/th_31208.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/31208.jpg)

I actually redid the bottom after I took the picture and realized how loose it was, but I didn't have time to take another picture. I hate the way my hair looks braided right now-- too thick and short. I don't think I'll be happy with it until the tassel hits mid-back...

angelthadiva
March 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Nice Dutch, AJN!!

Neorah: STOP IT! Your braid looks fine! I don't see one lump or bump! :flower:

AnneAdeline
March 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Day 3: 2 Dutch braids.
I think I found the style that I love! Can't wait until they get longer so I can pin them up.

MadPirateBippy
March 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I want to join the challenge but I think I will need some support in learning new hairstyles, which I am going to have to do if I am going to keep this up.

I don't know how many of you saw my One Week To A Chinese Bun trial before the boards went down... let's just say that the chinese bun can look really weird if you do it wrong.

Yesterday was a flattened bee's butt bun (I have pictures, it felt cute, looking at it, it just looks sloppy) and today was a figure eight.

One month! Whoo hoo!

AJoifulNoise
March 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'm a bit ashamed to post my ugly lumpy braid after Joiful's lovely but here it is anyway. :o

Day 3: An english braid, with just one layer of french braiding at the top:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/th_31208.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/31208.jpg)

I actually redid the bottom after I took the picture and realized how loose it was, but I didn't have time to take another picture. I hate the way my hair looks braided right now-- too thick and short. I don't think I'll be happy with it until the tassel hits mid-back...

I think your braid is pretty! See the odd angle I am striking in my pic? That's because my braid is actually crooked. lol I'm just too sick right now to fix it. So, I shot it at an angle and fussed with it until I got a good picture.

Neorah
March 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM
angelthediva and AJN: Aww, thanks! :grnbiggri Sometimes I'm too self-deprecating for my own good, I guess.

The braid is kind of annoying me, though... At this length, the tassel is at just the right height to get stuck between my upper back and my office chair, and get tugged and rubbed on. It might get twisted up and a pen stuck through it soon.

Meli
March 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Day 5: Riding braids - two english braids put together with a hairfriendly elastic. I think two braids are more comfortable than one braid when I wear a helmet, and when I put them together they stay out of my way just fine, so the tassels won't get caught when I grab the reins.

Smokering
March 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hmm. I'm a few days into my 'finding easy updos and actually using my Ficcare and hairsticks' challenge. First day I did a fairly creditable Orchid Wrap (hairstick), then a Chinese bun the next day which was less successful. The ends kept coming untucked, and even cheating and trying to secure them with Amish pins didn't entirely work. I had to keep fiddling with it all day. How do you lot keep your Chinese buns sleek and tidy? I *like* Chinese buns, so I want it to work!

Yesterday was a kind of upside-down bee butt bun thing held with my Ficcare. It worked. DH came home and said appreciatively 'Ooh, you're wearing a rose bun!', which I'm sure made him feel like he was being Husband of the Year until I pointed out that it wasn't. :p

Today... hmm... I might just go for another Orchid Wrap, to prove the first one wasn't a fluke!

capelli lunghi
March 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I really need to focus on taking pics and trying out new things more than just a "let's see if I can do this bun".. lol Need to make more styles part of my daily wear.. I need to try and do this again! lol

nappywomyn
March 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Oooh Neorah, your braid is so THICK! Wow, that's a lotta hair!

I'm excited, because my hair comes OUT of the updo tonight!!!! *happydance* I like to let it be a bit free once in the middle, since it's 'up' 24/7 otherwise unless I'm doing my weekend rituals... I'm going to give myself a lovely scritching and scalp massage, and I MIGHT give it a wee rinse, too - depends on how my scalp feels afterwards.....

Islandgrrl
March 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Day 103 here. Started with a sloppy bun (different than intentionally a messy bun, this one was just a disaster) secured, more or less, with a fakkare. Now it's in a side bun, north of my left ear, secured with same fakkare. Not very inventive today, but it needs to get cleaned. Last condish I used was a Suave Aloe & something or other and I couldn't read the ingredients (too little, no glasses) to see if it was a cone condish or not. I'm thinking it was. My hair is really slippery and a little weird.

Henna tomorrow night.

ycelong
March 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I don't know what day I am on but I have been wearing it up since the beggining of the year - today is a boring cinnabun

Neorah
March 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Oooh Neorah, your braid is so THICK! Wow, that's a lotta hair!

I'm excited, because my hair comes OUT of the updo tonight!!!! *happydance* I like to let it be a bit free once in the middle, since it's 'up' 24/7 otherwise unless I'm doing my weekend rituals... I'm going to give myself a lovely scritching and scalp massage, and I MIGHT give it a wee rinse, too - depends on how my scalp feels afterwards.....
Thanks! My ponytail circumference hovers between 3.9 and 4 inches when I measure it, so as much as I'd like to call myself a "iii", I'm being good and sticking to "ii/iii" until I measure in at 4" consistently...

Have fun letting your hair down tonight! :lol:

Smokie
March 12th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Nice Dutch, AJN!!

Neorah: STOP IT! Your braid looks fine! I don't see one lump or bump! :flower:

The above was quoted for truth.

I want to join the challenge but I think I will need some support in learning new hairstyles, which I am going to have to do if I am going to keep this up.

I don't know how many of you saw my One Week To A Chinese Bun trial before the boards went down... let's just say that the chinese bun can look really weird if you do it wrong.

Yesterday was a flattened bee's butt bun (I have pictures, it felt cute, looking at it, it just looks sloppy) and today was a figure eight.

One month! Whoo hoo!

Need support? That's what we're here for! I've been being a little lazy with my challenge lately. Leaving it down until 100% dry, taking it down to redo it at work even when it doesn't need it, etc. But hey, today is my day 63 (hey! It just switched over to my birthday!) and I'm going through a rough patch emotionally and hair-wise (see my "someone please stop me" thread). I can't even make a proper bee butt bun yet, I'm sure there are tons of options for you. What are your goals for the challenge?

I really need to focus on taking pics and trying out new things more than just a "let's see if I can do this bun".. lol Need to make more styles part of my daily wear.. I need to try and do this again! lol

Yes you do! We like pictures!

Day 103 here. Started with a sloppy bun (different than intentionally a messy bun, this one was just a disaster) secured, more or less, with a fakkare. Now it's in a side bun, north of my left ear, secured with same fakkare. Not very inventive today, but it needs to get cleaned. Last condish I used was a Suave Aloe & something or other and I couldn't read the ingredients (too little, no glasses) to see if it was a cone condish or not. I'm thinking it was. My hair is really slippery and a little weird.

Henna tomorrow night.

Hi Iggie! <3 I'm so impressed with you and your being on day 103. It doesn't feel like it's been that long since you started, or me for that matter. Hehe. Also, I think I might make with the henna tonight. Otherwise it stays in the messy bun I decided to sleep in.

So yes. Day 63 (71 days left, give or take). Messy bun on top of my head at present. Either covered in henna or soaking in some variation of a hair crack treatment later.

capelli lunghi
March 12th, 2008, 11:37 PM
So.. I wore this today (yesterday.. lol).. It was Nightshade's Equilibrium bun.. I was just at home.. so fuzzies are ok.. lol

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/sab2000sab/Hair/DSC_0158.jpg

tiny_teesha
March 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM
For work i wear th same old braided bun. Its a bit annoying. I should shake it up somewhat.....
But it is protective and secure.
I may try just a regular bun. I would do a braid but it is getting longer- might get in the way. Plus i want to SHOCK people of my hair growth after a year, so i try to conceal the length.
I wore it down fo rmy birthday and a day that week again. otherwise i'm keeping on track of a calculated 2 days of a month from air drying it for 3 hours 3 times a week.

Right now it is in a bun of sorts. I really need to learn new ones but i don't think it is long enough.

redcelticcurls
March 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Hello!

Smokie sent me over since I was in Teesha's challenge last year.

I must admit that I am enjoying my down hair this winter. This is my first winter with decent curls, so I like looking at them. :o

So, I think I'll stick to a twice a week hair up deal.

Today is easy as I'll be in a Navy unifrom later, so a basic bun in the back.

angelthadiva
March 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Day 113--And it's in a braid. I'm boring, I know. It's just so quick and stinking easy.

CL: Awesome bun! :) You go girl! :)

Neorah
March 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Day 4: Rolled out of bed an hour late again this morning, so my hair started off the day in a ponytail. Now the elastic is around my wrist, and hair is up in a messy cinnabun with a pencil. :roll: I'm too tired in the morning to be inspired!

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm game! I've been quite ill for the past month and I've worn my hair up during the entire time and my hair hair has been thankful for the break. I tend to wear ornaments in my hair such as flowers, ribbons, tikkas, etc. so wearing my hair up will just force me to be more creative :)

capelli lunghi
March 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM
A Dutch Braid into a Bun.. Is it me or is a dutch braid harder for anyone else to keep the sections untangled?.. I don't get how it would be different than a French.. lol.. It was a MESS! lol

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/sab2000sab/Hair/DSC_0052.jpg

..and thanks Angel!! :D

angelthadiva
March 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
A Dutch Braid into a Bun.. Is it me or is a dutch braid harder for anyone else to keep the sections untangled?.. I don't get how it would be different than a French.. lol.. It was a MESS! lol

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/sab2000sab/Hair/DSC_0052.jpg

..and thanks Angel!! :D

Wow, this looks SWEET!! I have the same issues when I dutch. My hands naturally want to go the other way...I thought it was just me. :D

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
day three- ugly, lumpy, but funny crown braid.

But, if I keep doing them, eventually I'll get good at it!

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I think it's beautiful!

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Need support? That's what we're here for! I've been being a little lazy with my challenge lately. Leaving it down until 100% dry, taking it down to redo it at work even when it doesn't need it, etc. But hey, today is my day 63 (hey! It just switched over to my birthday!) and I'm going through a rough patch emotionally and hair-wise (see my "someone please stop me" thread). I can't even make a proper bee butt bun yet, I'm sure there are tons of options for you. What are your goals for the challenge?

Well, part of the problem is my hair has outgrown my favorite updo- the french twist. I'm just below waist and inching towards tail bone right now, and all the sudden about 3/4 of my standard things don't work anymore, partly because I've flat out forgotten how to do them.

My goal is more length, protected, in better condition. Without LHC to be my obsession I let my hair go a bit and I abused it more. It shows, especially since I did the whole dreadlocks thing this summer and it's already got a little bit of backcombing damage.

My hair is wet and in a towel right now. I'm going to see if anyone's posted anything about the crown braids I was asking about...

Update: I did the crown braide.

ycelong
March 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Today my hair is up in some version of the equilibrium bun. I folded my hair over and twisted, then put it against my head and stuck 2 sticks in it. It isn't long enough to fold, twist and wrap in a cinnabun but the fold, twist, stick holds well :)

Islandgrrl
March 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Today is Day 104. I've done basically the same thing that ycelong did. It's secured with a fakkare and I put it too low, so there's this poofy part sticking up above with bunches of little ends poking out everywhere. Looks like my twistybun exploded, sort of. It's goofy, but hey, it's up!!!

Islandgrrl
March 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hello!

Smokie sent me over since I was in Teesha's challenge last year.

Well, welcome, sister in redness!!!! :flower: You have some amazing red curls. I love them!

I always wished for curly hair. My sister got it. Funny, she always wished for straight hair!

AJoifulNoise
March 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Day 11 of 32: Pigtail braids. Fuzzy ones... I'm still rather ill. Sicker than yesterday. Even being online is wearing me out... But, the hair is outta the way... For the most part.

Smokie
March 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Day 64: Weird foldy bun/chingnon thing. Held by three good days hair pins with a yellow ribbon for decoration and the DBF. It's my birthday so I wanted to embrace the first day curls instead of pulling them out for a bun or braid.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300947-1.jpg

For some reason I couldn't make a gibson tuck work. I can never make them feel secure, but this time it was completely retarded. Anyone else have that problem? Perhaps with a bit more length I could just do a topsy tail, wrap the ends back over and pin them. Hmm... We'll see. If I don't chop to chin length or much shorter in a couple weeks (yes, two week rule is in full effect) I'll try for a couple more inches and maintain there. Maybe I'll be able to do things then. Ugh.

MadPirateBippy: Have you tried a log roll to replace your french twist? There's also a method that involves starting the twist like a high ponytail and then coiling the length around your fingers before tucking. Either of those should work at your length. My hair's far too short for a log roll now. And I'm sure if you look around enough you'll find plenty of 'do's your length will be perfect for! :)

Edit: Now with more picture.

Neorah
March 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Day 5: Random twisty beebutt-ish damp bun. I just separated my hair into two sections and twisted them one around the other. It's got little messy bits sticking out all over the place, but it's holding for now, which was my primary goal...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/th_31408.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/31408.jpg)

I finally went to Icing and bought a couple of cheap plain hairsticks, to tide me over until my Ketylo order arrives... No more pencils, yay!:happydance:

Smokie: Your hair is gorgeous! That yellow ribbon looks fantastic against the red.

AJoifulNoise
March 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Day 12 of 32:

A braid that I just threw together without combing or waiting for my hair to dry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March142008Upload001.jpg

I was going to bun... But that's not really comfy for resting... And that's all I'm really capable of today.

Islandgrrl
March 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Joiful, are you not feeling well? Enjoy your rest!

Today is day 105. 260 days left. I hennaed my roots last night, according to plan (at least something did, in fact go as planned!), and this morning I followed up with a gloss made from the leftovers on the rest of my hair (sorry for the odd sentence structure there...).

I'm having a very good hair day today!!!

It's up in a weird little twisty bun. Secured with a single hair stick since I forgot to bring another one with me this morning!

AJoifulNoise
March 14th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Joiful, are you not feeling well? Enjoy your rest!

Yep. And I am trying. It's kinda hard when laying down isn't very comfy (too stuffy).

I have managed to get my hair up in a cinnabun with clippies. It feels nice to have my hair up. "Sickie hair" just makes me feel even sicker, if that makes sense.

Islandgrrl
March 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yep. And I am trying. It's kinda hard when laying down isn't very comfy (too stuffy).

I have managed to get my hair up in a cinnabun with clippies. It feels nice to have my hair up. "Sickie hair" just makes me feel even sicker, if that makes sense.

Oh yeah, that totally makes sense. I hope you get to feeling better soon, :(

Here's some flowers for you! :blossom::blossom::blossom:

MadPirateBippy
March 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm about to do another crown braid. :)

Meli
March 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Day 6: Two braids. I was very tired so I did something I could just keep when I went to bed...
Day 7: Cinnabun during most of the day, now I have applied a honey mix so my hair is up in plastic wrap at the moment.

Neorah
March 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I hope you feel better soon, AJN! :flowers:

AJoifulNoise
March 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I hope you feel better soon, AJN! :flowers:

Thanks. I do, too. This is no fun at all. :(

ycelong
March 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Joiful -
I hope you get better quickly - I just got over a cold - so not fun. I feel for you. (offers virtual chicken soup)
Hair was put in a dutch braid secured just below nape leaving a long tassle.

Smokie
March 15th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Day 65: Henna#2 seems to have been a success. Most of my roots seem to be about the auburn I expected. Braided bun started from a ponytail ("hairsafe" elastic in use) and secured with my Etta Mae birds eye maple fork. Bangs are held back and slightly poofy with bobby pins. I think the bobby pins are breaking my hair. :(

I actually didn't take a picture today... Weird.

Edit: Now with more picture (wanted to see the color in the sun):
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300951-1.jpg
Why do my braided buns always come out so retarded?

AJN - GET BETTER!!! :flowers:

Neorah - Thank you!

Hairytale
March 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm so boring, I do the same bun (orchid bun) every day), because I can do it in...like 30 seconds or something like that. It's hard to try new buns for me because they take longer...anyone a suggestion for an easy and fast updo? :flower: I like buns the best as the hair is all out of my way and I can do everything without having to watch out for it.

AJoifulNoise
March 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Day 13 of 32:
Banded Pony tail. I am slowly getting better, but mornings are the worst. I couldn't hold my arms over my head long enough to braid or bun. And I didn't want it in a pony tail, loose to be in the way... So I did a banded pony (or caterpillar).

LilyMunster
March 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Warmer months I was wearing FT. When winter got here I went into braids, dynala single or double with a Buff over it all.
And a hoodie. I leave home for work when it is still dark and cold.
With warmer weather approaching I am still liking my FT and have just discovered the equilibrium bun. Held with either a Ozark stick(s) or a ficcare. I am going to trya flexi 8 on that one as well.
So, yes protective 'do'. Unless down drying.
Nighttime, velvet scrunchies down the length if I am to lazy to braid.
I'll check in from time to time, since I do this on an ongoing basis. Habit already. :rolling:

angelthadiva
March 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
114--English Braid
115--Pony tail braid, then colored my roots...I took a new length shot, will have to post it Monday :)

Smokie
March 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Day 66: Tucked french braid held with a white scrunchy. I didn't take a picture. Might when the sun comes up. Henna#2 is still oxidizing. Hehe.

Kebbster
March 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hey hey

I was doing this but fell off the wagon with LHC down. So well done and good luck to everyone still going.

AJoifulNoise
March 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Day 13 of 32: Braided chinese bun.

Smokie
March 17th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Day 67: Happy St. Patty's day sorta! Sock bun with ends tucked and wrapped by a green headband doubled over. Will update with picture tomorrow probably.

Meli
March 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Day 8: Braided cinnabun
Day 9: Modified soft Nautilus bun - or could it perhaps have been an inside out bun or something? I twisted the part of the length that created the loop and then just wrapped the rest of the length around the base of the ponytail without further twisting. The bun was invisibly held with a bent double-pointed knitting needle and the twisting of the loop was necessary for it to not fall down.
Day 10: Celtic knot. Doesn't really look like one, though, because I have barely enough length to make one at all. But at least it stays up...

Elfling
March 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM
today: braided bun at nape, secured with medium tortoiseshell ficcare. That's my standard work hairdo- holds really well and is flattering on me, with nothing in the way for when I crawl under desks or poke around server rooms.

AJoifulNoise
March 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM
My count was off... yesterday was day 14.

Day 15 of 32: Cinnabun with clear clippies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March172008Upload003.jpg

Islandgrrl
March 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Saturday was Day 106: 2 side by side cinnabuns on the back o'my head. Secured with my silly pediatric chopsticks.

Sunday was Day 107: Simple Braid.

Today is day 108. I had it in a too-damp cinnabun, it's down right now for a few minutes to get a little more wet out of it (I COd about 90 minutes ago). I'm going to try some different buns today and see what sticks - maybe a celtic knot if I have enough length. If not it'll be back in a cinnabun for the rest of the day. 257 days left in the challenge! I'm almost 1/3 of the way there!

Neorah
March 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Day 6 (Saturday): Cheated and wore my hair down to go out to breakfast, then wore it up in a sloppy cinnabun the rest of the day.

Day 7 (Sunday): Damp braided bun with hairsticks.

Day 8 (today): Peacock twist. Didn't have time to take a picture this morning. :roll:

rhosyn_du
March 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm on day 77, and I've been doing nothing but french twists and peacock twists since I last posted. My brain doesn't do mornings very well normally, so adjusting to the time change has meant updos that I can do half-asleep in under five minutes. Stupid Daylight Savings Time. :P

wintersun99
March 17th, 2008, 07:29 PM

birthmarkie
March 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I think I'm ready to join in on the fun. I don't have a big repertoire of updos but I do have a lot of hair toys, bands, etc. that I never use. I am going to take the "wear hair up" part loosely and half-ups, hats, calorimetry, all that sort of stuff will count for me.

cobblersmaid
March 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I always think I could never do these, and then I realize that I haven't worn my hair down in two months...

Nynaeve
March 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I spent... about 7 years in this club, albeit not intentionally. Wore my hair up about 98&#37; of the time, and always in ponytails.
Then I found the LHC. the ponytails went bye-bye.
I wear my hair up a lot still, but no where near the amount I used to.

Smokie
March 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Day 68 (technically): I've been awake 25 hours and plan to go to sleep soon. So it's in a messy scrunchie bun on top of my head. If I do something interesting in the morning, I'll take a picture. And I swear I'll post the picture of yesterday's sock bun soon. Been trying to write an evil admissions essay all day so no time to fiddle with it really. Now I'm just too sleepy.

Oh! And this is about the halfway mark for my hair up every single day till DBF comes home thing. Yay!

Wintersun99: I'm sure plenty of us will still be going by the time you feel like you're long enough to join in! Have you tried a pair of dutch braids? Or french braids? A single dutch braid might even hold for you too. Those are my go-tos when my hair will barely make a ponystub and likes to fall out of it. Figured you might could use a couple ideas for days you don't want to wear it down and have a bit of time to fuss. :)

Birthmarkie: Welcome to the challenge! Feel free to make the challenge your own. All of us seem to have our own sets of rules anyway. :P I think the "rules" here are more like guidelines. I think I may turn my challenge into a year challenge, in fact. I'll just have to be rather loose with my rules after DBF comes home from Iraq. It'll likely turn into a "Wear hair up when DBF is at Hood playing Army" challenge. Oh! How long do you plan to keep it up?

Cobblersmaid: Hahaha. I think I'd worn mine up pretty much every day for at least a few weeks before I joined the challenge. But I wasn't really keeping track and I like to have definite start dates so I can keep track of things. :D

Nynaeve: You sound a bit like me. My go-to style used to be a folded in half ponytail (where you don't pull the length all the way through the last time) with the ends sticking up everywhere. I spent the last four years or so working mostly food service. Hair down was not allowed. I've been trying to avoid the "ouchless" elastics as much as possible lately. I'm learning a lot from it and it's great.

AnneAdeline
March 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Day 4: Messy bun, then down air drying
Day 5: Pony tail
Day 6: Messy bun
Day 7: Pony tail with green ribbons and yarn for St. Patty's day

Already been a week! Yay! I'm going to try to do more complicated braids in the future.

angelthadiva
March 18th, 2008, 08:48 AM
116-Ponytail
117-French Braid, washes last night and slept in a damp French Braid
118-Rocking Waves today

DS13 pic did not turn out, too dark :( Will have to take another length shot!

Islandgrrl
March 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Day 109: my hair was mucho uncooperative this morning so it's banished to a cinnabun. But I made a bunch of little braids in the front first just to be a brat.

birthmarkie
March 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone! And Smokie, thank you for the individual reply :D I'm excited for you to be half-way through your challenge and hope the rest of the time passes quickly for your DBF to get back home to you.

As for me, I didn't realize how difficult this would be but I love a challenge! I somehow decided that I would do a half-up rope braid today. Then I learned that I should comb out my hair before attempting something like that. I tried it a few times, but it didn't look that great, so I took it out and have settled on a big messy butterflyclip updo. I also explained to DBF all the reasons that this challenge is so great. I am excited to learn the new 'dos, learn how to do them well and quickly, feel more comfortable with my hair up, and enjoy the extra length when it comes down. Not to mention the protection! I will try to keep this up for a week and then go from there. Maybe I can make it for a month. I might keep my hair down once a week on wash days. I'll let you all know.

nappywomyn
March 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
*wave* I'm so boring. :lol: It's still up, despite the fact that one of my twists in the back tried to escape from the rest, so it's all dorky looking - I'm so glad I can't see the back of my head!

AJoifulNoise
March 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Day 16 of 32: Figure 8

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March182008Upload004.jpg

I'm halfway there! :happydance:

WritingPrincess
March 18th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Hi! :waves: Good to see everyone again. I've been keeping track of my 'dos every day for the last few weeks. I'll estimate that I'm around day 60 by now on the Up For A Year challenge. I've been going back and forth about wearing it up to bed. On the one hand, I enjoy having my hair down, and this is my chance. On the other hand, I hate the tangles. Sunday evening I spent two hours braiding my hair in 20 braids, and they've been in ever since. I was hoping to leave them in till Friday, but I'm itching to run my hands through my hair again. I didn't realize before how much I enjoy sitting and brushing my hair :lol:.

CaityBear
March 18th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I had decided to do the hair up for a month challenge, though I cheated a bit. So far I've worn it up every weekday (to school) though at home I'll just sucker it and put it in a pony tail if I'm too lazy to put it in a bun or something.

I did the one month in February I guess and I'm still doing it. Still cheating a bit though haha

AJoifulNoise
March 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I had decided to do the hair up for a month challenge, though I cheated a bit. So far I've worn it up every weekday (to school) though at home I'll just sucker it and put it in a pony tail if I'm too lazy to put it in a bun or something.

I did the one month in February I guess and I'm still doing it. Still cheating a bit though haha

For my month up challenge I counted the pony tail as an updo. :D

ycelong
March 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yesterday and today I have worn a Dutch braid - wore it to bed that way too.

Meli
March 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Today I had a rose bun - now my hair is freshly washed and left down to dry. If I braid it now, it'll still be wet tomorrow...

Smokie
March 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM
A ponytail is totally an updo for me too!

Just popping in to add pictures 'cause I finally uploaded them.

Sock bun from St. Patty's Day (I hadn't fixed my bangs yet so pay no mind to them):
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300968-1.jpg

Hair's back in it's messy scrunchie bun now, but I think I invented an updo. It needs a name.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300970-1.jpg
Four Leafed Clover maybe?

ETA: Link to uncropped, messier, but brighter shot of the new nameless updo. (http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/?action=view&current=S6300972.jpg)

AnneAdeline
March 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Day 8: Dutch braid that I stopped at the base of my head and made a bun with the remaining hair. This works great for my front layers that can't *quite* make it to the end. It also looks a ton fancier than a pony tail/ messy bun that I usually have.
I beat it into submission with bobby pins to make the crazy bits lie down.

angelthadiva
March 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
119--Ponytail braid

AJoifulNoise
March 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Day 17 of 32: Cinnabun with little black clippies.

Lasiren
March 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm still going strong! I kind of want to see if I can make it for a year -or at the very least, until the summertime, now :) Braids are still considered 'up', right?

AJoifulNoise
March 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Braids are still considered 'up', right?

Yep! Braids are an updo.

birthmarkie
March 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I fell off the wagon on day 2. I'm starting again tomorrow.

Awesome pictures, ajoifulnoise and Smokie!

Smokie
March 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Day 69: Slept through most of it with my hair still in the same messy scrunchie bun.

And today is Day 70: Still trying to figure out what to call the neat new updo. Spent half the day super-oiled and letting MN soak in under a shower cap and "haji hat" as DBF refers to my turbie. Then I ditched the turbie for a VERY oily messy scrunchie bun and added some more MN to my scalp. Think I'm going to take a nap soon (my sleep schedule is hosed atm and needs to be fixed by tomorrow)... My hair stays oily (like, touch hair and there's oil to rub into my cuticles, oily) until tomorrow evening before work.

tiny_teesha
March 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I have my hair still in my night plait. I'm staying home so who cares!!! haha.
I'm on like day 100 i think! If not more, i need the archives to help me out!
Um, i did start in October last year, so odds are i'll probably finish in october i think! So only 7 months to go for me. I've been pretty boring with updos, occasionally makeing a new one. But i'm trying to use all my hair toys.

AJoifulNoise
March 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I fell off the wagon on day 2. I'm starting again tomorrow.

Awesome pictures, ajoifulnoise and Smokie!

Thanks! And, welcome back to the challenge!

MadPirateBippy
March 19th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Day 3, 4-sock bun day 5- bee butt bun with mini clip day 6 bee butt bun with mini clip.

It's hard not to spell it bee butt bunn.

:)

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Day 18 of 32: Braided Chinese Bun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March202008Upload003.jpg

It was strange. Last night I wore my trusty chinese bun and all I could think about during church was how much I wanted to take the clippies out and shake it down. It felt uncomfortable for some reason. And not because it was pulling or hurt or was heavy, etc... A ponytail would have made me happy. I dunno... The feeling is gone today, thank God.

birthmarkie
March 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Day 18 of 32: Braided Chinese Bun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March202008Upload003.jpg

It was strange. Last night I wore my trusty chinese bun and all I could think about during church was how much I wanted to take the clippies out and shake it down. It felt uncomfortable for some reason. And not because it was pulling or hurt or was heavy, etc... A ponytail would have made me happy. I dunno... The feeling is gone today, thank God.

That's a very pretty updo :flower: I'm sorry about your hair being uncomfortable. I think it is completely natural to feel like you want to shake it down. I have that feeling every day!

It is day 1 for me and I have a damp scrunchie bun.

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM
That's a very pretty updo :flower: I'm sorry about your hair being uncomfortable. I think it is completely natural to feel like you want to shake it down. I have that feeling every day!

Thank you. The colors and shine kinda remind me of that old fashioned ribbon candy.

I think you are right about wanting to shake it down. It was just strange how it came about so suddenly when I was right smack dab in the middle of an activity that required most of my attention. It was like my hair was going "AHEM! We've been stuck inside with you all week while you've been sick and now we get a chance to go out and you have us in a BUN? HMMPH!"

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Yesterday was Day 110. Started a French Twist and it got weird so I put the top part into a little bun, so it was kind of a french twist bun. Secured it with a couple of pediatric chopsticks.

Today is Day 111. Chignon at the nape of my neck secured with (gasp of horror) a Bic ball point pen. My intention was to secure it with my trustly little fakkare, but I BROKE IT as I was putting it in and didn't bring any other hair toys to work with me. I did a henna gloss this morning early (best way to pass the time in the sauna!) and my hair is seriously shiny, thick and wonderful!!!

Hairytale
March 21st, 2008, 01:23 AM
I have nothing to report because I always wear the same bun (an orchid one, I think). That annoys me and I want to try some other buns but I can't think of any go-to styles besides a cinnamon bun. Hairstick buns are quite hard for me as I have layered (not quite BSL) hair which tends to stick and slip out everywhere...:(

Does anyone of you have a style suggestion for me? I'd be very thankful! :flower:

Smokie
March 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM
Day 71: Wash day! I woke up and washed all the oils out of my hair. Felt nice. Smells all herby and good from trying out my Nettle CV bar. I had to fight with my curls a bit to get them to make an updo.

Started with this, but I took the pictures and decided I didn't like it very much.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300980-1.jpg

So I redid it upside down and decided I liked it better:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300982-1.jpg

I did add a couple Good Days hair pins (clear ones) to help hold up the curls.

Oh! And I actually left my bangs loose without flat ironing them too. DBF's upset with me for only ever having pictures of my hair to show him. So here's one including the bangs for y'all too:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300989-1.jpg
ETA: There's also a 3-strand accent braid coming from my right temple. Didn't get a picture with it in there though.

Hairytale: I know that uninspired feeling. My hair's just past APL wet and fairly thin, so I can get away with some of the stuff I shouldn't be able to yet at my length. Though I can't make an orchid bun or wrap yet. :( Soon though! I do feel your pain in the layers department, though I absolutely must keep mine to avoid the evil pyramid head. We'll see if I don't still need them at waist or so.

Here (http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/?start=all)'s a link to my photobucket. I've gotten into the habit of taking pictures of my hair almost every day and am a bit prone to do odd nameless things like above.

Also, there are links to tons of different style/updo sites on this page (http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/links). I just found her site today. Also absurd amounts of enabling in the hairtoy department there. Hehe.

HTH! :flowers:

Islandgrrl
March 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Day 112! (I'm pretty sure, anyway...still investigating this because I think I actually have more days than this). Right now it's in a cinnamon bun secured with a long clip.

Deep conditioned last night and plopped just to see if it would work and OHMYGOSH I have HUGE hair today. Absolutely enormous! It's really hilarious! Nice waves, but sheesh, I could have just stuck my finger in a socket or something!

Smokie
March 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Deep conditioned last night and plopped just to see if it would work and OHMYGOSH I have HUGE hair today. Absolutely enormous! It's really hilarious! Nice waves, but sheesh, I could have just stuck my finger in a socket or something!

:rolling: That's how I wake up EVERY DAY! :silly:

Islandgrrl
March 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
:rolling: That's how I wake up EVERY DAY! :silly:

Funny! I've never plopped before, so imagine my surprise!!! I've fingercombed it now and it's behaving a bit better, but WOWIE!!! Reminds me of 80s hair!! :D

Okay, so I finally got the count right. Today is not day 112. :eek: It's day 114! So there!!! :eek:

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Day 19 of 32: Braided pigtails

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March212008Upload004.jpg

birthmarkie
March 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM
day 2 = ponytail

MoonCreature
March 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
I think I will start with this too! I rarely have my hair down anyway, so why not have a goal. A month is probably a good start, but lets see where I end up..

Day 1: Today started with a figure 8 and is ending with a cinnabun, both held up by two hairsticks.

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
I think I will start with this too! I rarely have my hair down anyway, so why not have a goal. A month is probably a good start, but lets see where I end up..

Day 1: Today started with a figure 8 and is ending with a cinnabun, both held up by two hairsticks.

Welcome to the challenge! :flower:

Islandgrrl
March 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the challenge, MoonCreature!

I changed from the cinnabun to a gibson bun thingy - rolled back from the sides and secured at the nape, then everything is twisted into a low bun and secured with what I happened to find in my bag: a single pediatric chopstick and a few little mini clippies.

Meli
March 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
Day 12: Riding braids

Day 13: English braid

Day 14: Infinity bun - I think I should claim this as a new milestone reached ;) When I last attempted to make one, my taper made the loops different sized so the bun was very uneven. It also slipped out in less than an hour, because the ends were too short to stay tucked underneath the bun. But now it stayed up all day, and even though one loop still is smaller than the other, it is not quite as obvious as before. :D

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
I have nothing to report because I always wear the same bun (an orchid one, I think). That annoys me and I want to try some other buns but I can't think of any go-to styles besides a cinnamon bun. Hairstick buns are quite hard for me as I have layered (not quite BSL) hair which tends to stick and slip out everywhere...:(

Does anyone of you have a style suggestion for me? I'd be very thankful! :flower:

Didn't want you to feel ignored! Hmm.. I'm not sure what to tell you. My go-to styles are the cinnabun with clips all around it, the chinese bun, figure 8, and braids. Two of the four require sticks and one you already mentioned that you do.

Have you checked out www.longhairloom.com (http://www.longhairloom.com) ? There are a lot of style tutorials there.

Hairytale
March 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Smokie, thanks for the links! I'll investigate them right now after writing this post, hehe. :)

AJoyfulNoise, thanks, that's so kind of you! :flower: The chinese bun looks rather minuscle on my head because it's so small (especially compared to the stick, but perhaps that's due to the stick :shrug:). The figure 8 one does not really look bad, but it doesn't look like an 8 at all: due to my layers one part of the eight is always much smaller than the other...:rolleyes:
And braids - hair sticks out everywhere, that's so annoying! :(

I am sorry to rant this much and if it sounds as if I don't appreciate your suggestions - I really do appreciate them, but it's so frustrating they don't work for me! Stupid layers. :silly: (At least I know what I will not do to my hair in the future again...:eek:)

But thanks to you both anyway! :flower:

Smokie
March 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
Day 72: Semi-sloppy cinnabun with bloodwood Etta Mae fork. I took a picture but haven't uploaded it yet and the morning crew (they're trickling in now, getting close to the end of my shift) already thinks I'm crazy enough without me fiddling with pictures of my hair. I'll upload and post the picture when I'm home in a few hours. A couple more hennas and my length will probably match the color of my fork almost exactly. :D

MoonCreature
March 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Day 2: braid folded in half and fastened with an elastic

birthmarkie
March 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
day 3: scrunchie ponytail, like yesterday except this one is white. ETA: oops, I guess I had switched to a plain black hairband. Not a huge difference, though.

ajoifulnoise, that link is very helpful. thank you!

AJoifulNoise
March 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
ajoifulnoise, that link is very helpful. thank you!

You're very welcome!

Day 20: Cinnabun with black clippies. It's shampoo day so all my shorter hairs are having a field day sticking out all over the top of my head. Woo!

Smokie
March 23rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
Day73: Braided bun that ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A BRAIDED BUN!
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300991-1.jpg

And here's the picture of yesterday's cinnabun as promised:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300990-1.jpg

yogachic
March 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Once it starts getting Hot & horribly humid here for the summer, I can join in on this, as I wear my hear up all summer long, because I can't stand my hair down when its so hot.
I can't even work around the house without tying my hair up in a messy bun just for housecleaning. Having it in my face is a real bother.

MoonCreature
March 23rd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Day 3: Braided bun (I just bunned the braid I had in for the night, so it looks really sloppy, but it keeps the hair up!)

Smokie
March 23rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
<snip>

Gaaaah. Double post. We really need to get a tech in here to fix the modem. In the office. Yeesh.

Smokie
March 23rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Day 3: Braided bun (I just bunned the braid I had in for the night, so it looks really sloppy, but it keeps the hair up!)

Haha. I think I'm doing this in reverse when I get home. DBF likes to see the "I slept with my hair down" style bedhead (I must admit, it's become rather cute since I joined here) on the webcam in the "morning", but it's such a PAIN to detangle. I left my hair loose to sleep the last two nights. Didn't feel like detangling at all yesterday, so I didn't. But it really needed it after a second night of sleeping with it loose without detangling at all. Ugh. It was awful. Think I'll take my braided bun down and sleep with the braid today.

ilovelonghair
March 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
I'm in my 3rd month of wearing my hair up now and I am seeing differences! My hair is getting thicker. But that's also because I started becoming careful with it. I used to rip through it with a comb...

AJoifulNoise
March 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Day 21 of 32: Cinnabun with a flower. My special little touch for Easter. I found the flower clip at the dollar store yesterday. It did match my outfit earlier... But I spilled something down my shirt and had to change it. Not taking the flower out though... It's so purty! I'm thinking about buying some fake flowers and glueing them to clips to make my own.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March232008Upload002.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March232008Upload003.jpg

Meli
March 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Day 15: Inside out bun
Day 16: French braid folded in half. And just as a change, I was able to get a picture of it. I prefer to not post the picture in this thread (I guess I'm a bit shy :oops:), but I have put it in my album here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=557&pictureid=5742)

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Day 13 of 32:
Banded Pony tail. I am slowly getting better, but mornings are the worst. I couldn't hold my arms over my head long enough to braid or bun. And I didn't want it in a pony tail, loose to be in the way... So I did a banded pony (or caterpillar).

How do you do a banded pony?

Islandgrrl
March 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Today is Day 116. Braid.

Yesterday was day 115. I wore it down for a few hours (3 hours, actually) during the hair meet, but started with a cinnabun held by 2 hairsticks and finished off with a well-oiled braid which I slept in and uh, is the aforementioned today's braid. Lazy.

AJoifulNoise
March 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
How do you do a banded pony?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/today.jpg

Kind of old picture, but it will do. I put my hair in a half-up. Then gather the rest of the hair into a ponytail and tie it. Then I put ties all down the length about 4 fingerwidths apart.

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Oh cool!! Thanks for the pic!

AJoifulNoise
March 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Oh cool!! Thanks for the pic!

No problem. There used to be a tutorial for it under the name "caterpillar," but it's only in the archives now. Not even sure if it can be accessed yet.

Smokie
March 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Day 74: Feeling lazy. Started in a folded over pony with a black scrunchie and the bangs pinned back. But that was painful (scalp is annoyed again :() so I tried a french twist with ficcare and that was worse. So I made a loose, messy, falling apart, french braid, tucked the ends under, and secured it with my scrunchie. Thank goodness today's my Friday.

I think I might actually let myself have a down day on one of my days off. To let my scalp relax. Le sigh...

redhead_rachel
March 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm afraid that I've just been being really boring and doing my standard pinned bun...pretty much every day. I did do heidi braids the other day tho'.

AnneAdeline
March 24th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Day 13: Messy bun. Pretty much what I have been doing the last few days. On Saturday, though, I did do a Dutch Bun (that's what I'm calling it. No idea if there is already a name)

redhead_rachel
March 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I'm going to start my second month challenge after washing my hair tonight. So tomorrow will be my first day. (or 32nd, depending on how you're counting as I did a month dec 11th- Jan 11th, I have worn it up 97% of the time since, but I wasn't officially counting and I slipped a bit what w/ LHC being down)
But, tomorrow marks the dawn of a new challenge!! 1 month. Though I want to (if it's grown and evened out a bit more!) wear it down for my birthday on April 14th.
So I have 1 month clocked up and 1 month starting tomorrow!

birthmarkie
March 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I took the day off (or "down") because of wash-day. So today is really just day 1, but since I decided to allow myself a down-day for washing, I'll count it as day 4. I did a french braid and tied the end back with a flexi-8. I'll post a pic in my photo album.

chrissy-b
March 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I've been wearing my hair up daily since the start of the new year, and I plan on wearing it up until the end. This has been a great help since it looks pretty bad while down, and every time I see it down I want to cut it.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Today is Day 117. Earlier in the day it was up in a twisty bun secured with two not-matching mei fa stix (this is what I get for putting my hair up in the dark).

I just COd it so it's down for a few minutes getting damp instead of drippywet and then it's going to get dampbunned for the rest of the night!

AJoifulNoise
March 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Day 22 of 32 (really, it was yesterday... but I haven't gone to bed yet):

Started out with a soaking wet, uncombed cinnabun under a bandana. I had to go out right after I showered.

Later in the evening I let it down, let it dry, then dutch braided it.

Smokie
March 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Day 75: Still in yesterday's french braid... sorta. I stayed up most of the day (waaaaay past my self imposed 11am bedtime) and simply took the srunchie out of the french braid when I decided to go to sleep at 5pm. It's now 530am and it's still in the falling apart french braid. Gonna do either a henna gloss or some kind of avocado-related DT while I attempt to wax my legs today. At least, that's the plan. It's gonna be another "Showercap/turbie totally counts as wearing my hair up" sets of days off. :silly:

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Day 23 of 32: Tried to make a crown braid. This was the result:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/crown.jpg

I'm leaving it.

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Day 118: unimaginative cinnabun secured with three unmatching Mei Fa stix just because I could. Allergy headache and I'm cranky.

MoonCreature
March 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Day 4: braid

Day 5: chinese braided bun

Meli
March 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Tried to make a crown braid. This was the result:

I'm leaving it.

AJoifulNoise: :agape: And that was a try?! Well done!
Day 17: Four-strand braid. Turned out quite well, but tended to twist around itself. *needs more practise*
Day 18: Boring, lazy day with complete lack of inspiration. Sleep braids...

Smokie
March 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Day 23 of 32: Tried to make a crown braid. This was the result:

I'm leaving it.

And the result is gorgeous!! :agape: How'd you do that?! I wanna do that!

birthmarkie
March 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
What an absolutely gorgeous crown braid AJoifulNoise!

Today is day 5 for me. It started off with my hair held up with a pen, then I washed my hair and put it in a ponytail after it dried (my scalp doesn't always do well when I put my hair up wet/damp).

Patrycja
March 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
ok-I'm jumping in the deep end and going for it.I'm not imagative and don't expect alot from me.I recently got a bunch of new ideas for updos for my APL layered hair.I'll try my hardest to steer away from ponytails and cinnabuns as much as possible,since that's always what I do.

Day 1-yes you guessed it,a big sock bun with my bangs clipped back with a mini claw clip.

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Yes, that was my very first try. Thank you so much for your compliments. I didn't think it looked all that great.

I got my instructions here: http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/crown.htm

Then I had to tweak them a bit because I was doing it on my own head... Not on someone elses.

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
ok-I'm jumping in the deep end and going for it.I'm not imagative and don't expect alot from me.I recently got a bunch of new ideas for updos for my APL layered hair.I'll try my hardest to steer away from ponytails and cinnabuns as much as possible,since that's always what I do.

Day 1-yes you guessed it,a big sock bun with my bangs clipped back with a mini claw clip.

Welcome to the challenge, ilovemycop! Are you going for a month? Or more?

Patrycja
March 25th, 2008, 02:53 PM
that's so funny-we posted at the same time.I was coming right back to edit my post.

I'm going to do it for 14 days and then go from there.Its going to be so hard..but I can do it :)

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM
that's so funny-we posted at the same time.I was coming right back to edit my post.

I'm going to do it for 14 days and then go from there.Its going to be so hard..but I can do it :)

The first time is really hard. I struggled through all of december, but I was so proud when I finished. And here I am doing it again! It's easier this time though. I know you can do it!

Patrycja
March 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
:hug: thanks!

Gemma
March 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Okay, I've decided to join because I find myself checking the length of my hair everyday now, which is just plain silly. ;) I'm going to try for two weeks.

So! Day One: Dutch braided pigtails.

AJoifulNoise
March 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Okay, I've decided to join because I find myself checking the length of my hair everyday now, which is just plain silly. ;) I'm going to try for two weeks.

So! Day One: Dutch braided pigtails.

That's why I took up my first 30-day challenge. Good luck!

MoonCreature
March 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Day 6: I really can't deside! It started with the braid that I slept in, now it's a figure 8 but I would something else when I'm going to see a friend in town (and something that I can put a cap on, it's snowing out there! shudder:)

Smokie
March 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Day 76: Currently down to dry. Poor head still hurts where that antique hanging light fixture thing tried to kill me the other day. I'm going dress and skirt shopping today so I definitely need to put it up... Blargh... Gotta find something that doesn't pull at all.

I'll report back in later with what I decide on.

Hairytale
March 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Well, I certainly try to make some other updos feel comfortable and wearable for every day, but it seems my hair is at an awkward length: the old updos don't look as nice as some months before and the new ones don't really work yet. :rolleyes:
(My layers don't really improve the situation, either. :shrug:)

Well, I guess I just have to wait until I reach new lengths.

(Am now on day 116 of the year up challenge.)

Patrycja
March 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Day 2 of 14- In this weird thing I came up this morning...most of my hair in a lower ponytail held with a ouchless band.The hair that is left over under it,seperated into two sections horizontaly.Then both sections brought up above the main pony tail and held with a fakkare.It kinda looks like a tiered ponytail with my layers and the way I clipped it.I like it,its up out of my way but shows my length..

One question for you all that have been doing this for awhile now-how do you do updos the day after you wash?My hair is so slippery,it doesn't stay in anything that I do.

Gemma
March 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Day 2: Wash day. Popped my hair into a Dutch braid whilst wet. It can dry tonight whilst I'm sleeping.

LuXious
March 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Alright, I'm in for a month. 30 days. I have no beloved soldier in Iraq, just a friend in Afghanistan (who I'm sooo proud of!... Does anyone not know someone who's "over there"?) I can see how maybe this hair challenge can keep your spirits up, Smokie, while you're missin' your man.

So hair up for a month and also doing the Monistat thing (on my scalp) two or three times a week. I tried to trim off my shaggy hem yesterday, about a half-inch, but I think in the back it's kind of uneven. This will definitely help me live with it without blowing $40 bucks at the salon and losing another half-inch. Oh, heck. why not 2 months. 60 days, it is.

Islandgrrl
March 26th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Day 119: Weird semi-figure 8 bun secured with 2 mis-matched Mei Fa stix. My hair is seriously nasty today. Weirdly straight and staticky and kinda making me nutty. I sprayed the heck out of it with Kimberlily's DeFriz concoction in the hope of getting it calmed down. So far so good!

AJoifulNoise
March 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Day 24 of 32: Braided chinese bun. I tried to take pictures... But none of them did it any justice. It's prettier in person.

But, anyway, I'm coming down the home stretch!

peachy.pudding
March 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I would like to join this thread, but my hair dosnt get damaged at this length, plus if i do go out it to get into the car lol

SolSara
March 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Okey.

I've been lurking on this thread since I found LHC and I think I'm ready to join you now. :) But with my own conditions for it: I can let it hang down to dry, I can sometimes wear it down when spending weekend with my boyfriend (like most men, he loves the hair down, and it isn't even bsl yet.. :rolleyes:) and I can wear it down for "special occasions." And ponytails and half up-do's are still up-do's. :D

Since it's just a couple of hours to bed time, I'll start tomorrow. Pics will be taken. :)

AJoifulNoise
March 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Okey.

I've been lurking on this thread since I found LHC and I think I'm ready to join you now. :) But with my own conditions for it: I can let it hang down to dry, I can sometimes wear it down when spending weekend with my boyfriend (like most men, he loves the hair down, and it isn't even bsl yet.. :rolleyes:) and I can wear it down for "special occasions." And ponytails and half up-do's are still up-do's. :D

Since it's just a couple of hours to bed time, I'll start tomorrow. Pics will be taken. :)

Everyone sets different rules for themselves. I'm glad you are making this challenge your own. I, too, leave my hair haning down to dry. Otherwise it would never dry. And there's no way I'm going a whole month with wet hair!

Anyway, welcome to the challenge!

Patrycja
March 26th, 2008, 01:51 PM
oh oh oh!!! I made the prettiest faux french braid today!!

This is a close up of it
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=47&pictureid=6323

this is a away shot of it

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=47&pictureid=6322

basically,I took my top layers like I would for a half up do and braided it and secured it with a band.Then I split the bottom half of hair into two sections horizonately and braided those peices and secured them with two bands.I then gathered it all up in a ribbon.Viola! Its real messy but I will prefect it soon.oh and the claw clip is holding my bangs back btw.Just ignore it.:)

Patrycja
March 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM
oh oh oh!!! I made the prettiest faux french braid today

basically,I took my top layers like I would for a half up do and braided it and secured it with a band.Then I split the bottom half of hair into two sections horizonately and braided those peices and secured them with two bands.I then gathered it all up in a ribbon.Viola! Its real messy but I will prefect it soon.oh and the claw clip is holding my bangs back btw.Just ignore it.:)

edit to add-I can't seem to get the pic to show :( just go to my photo album and its the last two pix I've posted.Sorry!!!

Gemma
March 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
edit to add-I can't seem to get the pic to show :( just go to my photo album and its the last two pix I've posted.Sorry!!!

It looks really pretty! I might have to copy it some time. :)

birthmarkie
March 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Day 6 = half-up

BotticelliBabe
March 26th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Day 21 of 32: Cinnabun with a flower. My special little touch for Easter. I found the flower clip at the dollar store yesterday. It did match my outfit earlier... But I spilled something down my shirt and had to change it. Not taking the flower out though... It's so purty! I'm thinking about buying some fake flowers and glueing them to clips to make my own.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March232008Upload002.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/March232008Upload003.jpg

Ohh Ohh!! *stands up from the back of the class and waves her hand around crazily*

Ok, I'm obviously new here, and I'm not "up" to the challenge (get the pun? ahhhhhh....) just yet (shoulda caught me before I was a SAHM! I wore my hair up at work every other day!)

Anyway, this caught my eye, because I DO make these flower clips, and I wanted to share. I must have one in every size and color imaginable, and probably twenty different types of flowers (I have a big tote full of them - I used to sell them at craft fairs). Now, if I can just figure out how to attach my pics for you...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z271/mamajeeper/howto.jpg?t=1206577444

Yay me!!! *lol*

Of course, my hair was just in a plain ol' cinnabun so I could slap in a clip and snap a pic, but this particular post isn't about my hair. ;) I just wanted to show you guys!

AJoifulNoise
March 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Ohh Ohh!! *stands up from the back of the class and waves her hand around crazily*

Ok, I'm obviously new here, and I'm not "up" to the challenge (get the pun? ahhhhhh....) just yet (shoulda caught me before I was a SAHM! I wore my hair up at work every other day!)

Anyway, this caught my eye, because I DO make these flower clips, and I wanted to share. I must have one in every size and color imaginable, and probably twenty different types of flowers (I have a big tote full of them - I used to sell them at craft fairs). Now, if I can just figure out how to attach my pics for you...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z271/mamajeeper/howto.jpg?t=1206577444

Yay me!!! *lol*

Of course, my hair was just in a plain ol' cinnabun so I could slap in a clip and snap a pic, but this particular post isn't about my hair. ;) I just wanted to show you guys!

Mine was in a cinnabun, too! It just went a little strange, I think.

I love your flowers! I'm starting to feel really inspired. I wanna run out and get supplies. I could prolly sell them to the ladies at my church.

BotticelliBabe
March 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Mine was in a cinnabun, too! It just went a little strange, I think.

I love your flowers! I'm starting to feel really inspired. I wanna run out and get supplies. I could prolly sell them to the ladies at my church.

Awesome - you go, girl! And thank you! I've always loved irises and orchids. I will caution you though - once you make a few and start getting compliments on them, then you'll go shopping and see some new flowers/greenery you like, and you'll buy them...and then the next thing you know, you have eighty gabajillion of the damn things lying around and nowhere to put them cuz you don't want to crush them! *lol* Which reminds me - if you take a long piece of yarn or twine and tie it to a nail in your wall (or a hook or something it can't pull out), then you can just clip them to the twine for storage. It's actually kind of pretty - looks like a flowering vine in my bedroom. *lol*

Michael's has really big and different single blooms for around $3-5 apiece, and Wal Mart has a lot of small bundles (best variety is in spring) for less than $3. You'll also need either dark green or black felt (for the glue to stick to), a pile of wooden clothespins, and E6000 craft glue works really well.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any help!

**hijack over**

Melein
March 27th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I've been trying out this challenge - very quietly, as I didn't think I could manage it, given that any updo I attempt tends to either fall down within five minutes or look a mess.

But...buns made with pencils, odd as they may look, really work for me. :cheese:

Day 6...

Smokie
March 27th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Update on day 76: Wound up being in a fairly sloppy cinnabun held with my bloodwood Etta Mae fork. I henna'd again (very strong gloss) and my hair matches it even better now. Teehee. Also, found out when I got home from a very successful shopping trip (red dress, cute skirt, fedora, few tops, and replaced a pair of boots I've been whining about and trying to find for three years) that DBF's coming home with stripes after all! He got his recommendation for promotion to Sergeant. We are very proud and excited. But I need names to call him when he comes home. Like Sgt Hot Pants, etc. Any ideas?

Also, thanks for the well wishes for him and words of support for me. We both appreciate it.

Day 77: Been mostly in a messy folded over pony thing. I've been napping off and on when I really should've stayed awake. Work should be fun tomorrow. Luckily I'm only alone for an hour and a half or so on Thursday nights.

Gemma
March 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Day 3: I had a French twist in with a side parting but it kept falling out, so now I'm back to a Dutch braid.

Patrycja
March 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/cyodice05/SN850776.jpg

Day 3 of 14(I'm already starting to dig this little challenge)

I'm tired today so all I could come up with that didn't take any effort whatsoever is another huge sock bun.I didn't pin down or hide my ends,I just left them out.Looks messy but in a chic way.All I could do to make it interesting incase I do go out is tie a ribbon around the base of it and tie it in a bow.I must admit I am gettting better and better at the sock buns.

Islandgrrl
March 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Day 120: I COd this morning to try to combat the flyaway weirdness from yesterday. All better. It's damp bunned and will likely stay that way for the rest of the day.

angelthadiva
March 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm so far behind on keeping track:

120--English Braid
121--English Braid
122--English Braid
123--Braided bun secured w/a sparkly stick
124--French Braid
125--French Braid
126--English Braid
127--Chinese Braided bun secured w/a greydog (http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/100_1324.jpg)! :D

I have really noticed a change in my hair too, it seems thicker and it feels like it's growing like a weed...Thankfully, it doesn't look like it most of the time!

Islandgrrl
March 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
...that DBF's coming home with stripes after all! He got his recommendation for promotion to Sergeant. We are very proud and excited. But I need names to call him when he comes home. Like Sgt Hot Pants, etc. Any ideas?

Sgt. SweetiePie worked for me.... Congrats on his promotion! Hope he's home soon!!!

nappywomyn
March 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM
*waves*

I'm still here, still with my hair up - it's getting so routine as to almost me a non-event, now. I want/need to try out some new styles, though.

Smokie
March 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Sgt. SweetiePie worked for me.... Congrats on his promotion! Hope he's home soon!!!

Hahaha. That's awesome. I like it. I've also toyed with Sgt. LoveMuffin and a few others which aren't appropriate here but he seemed to like better. LOL.

He should be home in a couple months. No more than three. I'm very exciting. Hence all the dress and skirt shopping as of late. Still need to find the perfect dress though. Want something 40's/50's but that's hard to find in an 18. Hmm... Maybe I'll try victory rolls soon... If my hair cooperates tonight that may be the updo for work.... Victory rolls with bangs down and rest of hair pulled into some kind of bun....

I really need to stop sleeping when I should be awake and staying awake when I should be sleeping. My schedule's all wonky. Grr.

SolSara
March 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Day 1
All day at home doing laundry and so on.. Easy, secure and gentle for both scalp and hair. I call it a squeezed cinnabun. :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2101/2367395294_1252222e98_m.jpg

Smokie
March 28th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Day 78: It's a braided bun I swear...
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300998-1.jpg
And the sticks are white with black jolly rogers on them (Picture doesn't do 'em justice.) to make wearing hairsticks with my NEW BOOTS not look so silly.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300999-1.jpg
I've been searching for those boots for three years. And now they're safely on my feet and under my desk where they belong. :D

Edit: I can count, I swear!

Patrycja
March 28th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Day 4 of 14-butterfly clip braid that I tried for the first time today.I used my new butterfly clips and the second clip down is the brushed metal butterfly clip toy I got as well

eta-nniiiiiicce boots smokie!!!!

AJoifulNoise
March 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
And the sticks are white with black jolly rogers on them (Picture doesn't do 'em justice.) to make wearing hairsticks with my NEW BOOTS not look so silly.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/smokierose/S6300999-1.jpg
I've been searching for those boots for three years. And now they're safely on my feet and under my desk where they belong. :D

Verrrry nice! I love 'em. Wish I didn't have the calves of doom.

SolSara
March 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Day 2
Two ropebraids in a bun

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3145/2368268525_19448032bc_m.jpg

Now it's down for drying and will be down for the rest of the evening since BF is coming to stay with me this weekend! *yay* :happydance:

Vela
March 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I joined this befor LHC went down, and when it did go down I didn't keepup with the challenge.
But I've had my hair up for four days now so I'm gonna try for a month, and we'll see where it goes from there. I reserve the right to have my hair down on April4th if I choose to do so. So I'll add another day if I do wear it down for the day...well, more like I'll have it up till I go bowling with my YouthGroup.

I also need to have it down to dry, I've tried puting it up in a bun to dry and the next day(after sleeping on it) it's still is wet, so yeah, I kinda need to have it down to dry.

So day 1and2 I had it in what I belive is chinese bun, and I had it in the same tiarabraid since yesterday (day3) So I'm gonna have to take it down and but it backup, it's all fuzzy. XP

Goodluck everyone! :)

Smokie
March 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
eta-nniiiiiicce boots smokie!!!!

Verrrry nice! I love 'em. Wish I didn't have the calves of doom.

Thanks! And AJN, I have some honkin' calves + teensy dainty ankles. Can't wear boots that don't lace up because of the combination. Well, that and the big feet on top of it. Benefit of laces. Tight at ankle, wide at the top. Custom fit!

Erm. Yes. Sorry for the derail. I've spent three years trying to find boots like these after I lost my old pair. Very excited.

So, HAIR! It's about to go into a sleep braid 'cause it's bedtime for me.

ETA: Welcome to the challenge, Vella! Most of us have made changes to the "rules" (using that term loosely) of the challenge. Quite a few of us seem to leave our hair down to dry. I leave mine loose to sleep occasionally (DBF misses bedhead so if I know he'll be around when I wake up I'll leave it loose) and sometimes take it down for a couple hours at a time if my scalp is achy and I can't find an updo that will accommodate. I'm also allowing myself a down day prior to the end of my challenge when I plan to go get a super awesome trim. I also count days under a showercap and turbie as "up". Hehe. Good luck with your challenge and keep us posted on how it goes!

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Day 121: I'm struggling with a Chinese bun that just doesn't want to stay where it belongs. If I can't get it to stay here, I'm going to braid it and call it a day.

Islandgrrl
March 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Cool boots, by the way, Smokie! NICE!!!

MoonCreature
March 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Day 7: figure 8 that didn't hold at all, I think I had to redo it about 8 times during the day wich was VERY annoying. :luke:

Day 8: simple braid