PDA

View Full Version : The Updo How to Thread

JessTheMess
August 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I personally am a hair ditz! I am pretty much incapable of making a pretty or at least semi-nice updo. I always search the threads for how to vids or instructions, but never have any luck. So I decided to start a thread dedicated to the how to's. I couldn't find a thread like this, but again I have no luck searching. Mods if there is a duplicate, please feel free to delete this thread :)

:cheese: Cheese to all!!!!

Gumball
August 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
You're going to absolutely love this thread right here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235). :) It's got lots of info for you and I'm sure it'll induce a lot of experimentation!

JessTheMess
August 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
You're going to absolutely love this thread right here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235). :) It's got lots of info for you and I'm sure it'll induce a lot of experimentation!
Oh Jeez!! I swear I just can't search right or something lol. Absolutely terrible! Thank you for the link!

dorothea-brooke
August 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Jess, is the idea that there be one central thread where folks could post questions and tips on any updo?

I like this idea! The link Gumball gave above is full of fabulous instructions, but it would help to have one central place where people trying out new styles could ask questions of the experts!

db

Siava
August 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the link.

JessTheMess
August 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Jess, is the idea that there be one central thread where folks could post questions and tips on any updo?

I like this idea! The link Gumball gave above is full of fabulous instructions, but it would help to have one central place where people trying out new styles could ask questions of the experts!

db
Yep that was the idea. I just didn't want to step on toes :)

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Jess, I also need all of the help I can get!

Shanarana
August 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Such a good idea, I'll be checking out the posted thread.

JessTheMess
August 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Jess, I also need all of the help I can get!

Such a good idea, I'll be checking out the posted thread.

Thanks :) I'm sorry I can't contribute anything. I could show you how I make my bun, but it would most likely leave you crying tears of laughter because I'm just that bad at it lol

dorothea-brooke
August 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Okay, I'll kick this off!

I've been having trouble with anchoring a KarenLynn knot. If I use a Ficcare, it just squishes the whole thing down so there's no point (the pretty knot is lost), and I can't figure out how to do it with a fork/sticks.

Those who do this style: can you explain how you anchor it with a stick or comb? What is your entry/exit point?

TIA! :flower:

P.S. Another suggestion for this thread: folks asking questions might want to change the title of their post to something descriptive -- you can do this by clicking on "Advanced" and then changing the Title at the top. Since we might have a lot of different updos under discussion here (I hope!), it might help to keep things organised. :)

LeaM07
August 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I anchor with a hairstick, going in at about 2:00 and coming out at about 8:00 (pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=6839)).

This bun comes out looser than most of the other ones I do, and as a result, my thin metal sticks don't hold very well. I'd go for a thicker wooden hairstick, a corkscrew-style one (like a Ketylo), or a fork. If it still doesn't feel stable, a pin or two might help.

If that doesn't help, maybe your knot needs to be a little tighter? Maybe try twisting a bit as you make the knot?

dorothea-brooke
August 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks, LeaM!

Well of course, jeepers, now I remember that you had a tutorial for this on your updo instruction site. Which I love, by the way. But I forgot it was on there. :oops:

The instructions and pic are very helpful -- I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has a bit of trouble with this one. It's so pretty, though, when it works that I keep trying!

db

angelthadiva
August 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
You might want to check the Updo Challenge thread within the Mane Forum, or the Articles section...There are a lot of instructions there... :flower:

I can't do a bunned updo w/o first anchoring it with a ponytail...If I pass this vital step, it will surely tumble out...

Also, if someone has super simple steps for braiding more than 3 strands, I'd be interested in that info. :flowers:

Tressie
August 11th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for getting this rolling! I know exactly how you feel as I am very updo-challenged..........is that politically correct?:D

podo
August 21st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Those who do this style: can you explain how you anchor it with a stick or comb? What is your entry/exit point?

This is the way I do it and it holds very tightly, all day long.

When you push the loop out the top, fold it up and to the right, so it's at about 1-2 o'clock, depending on how you've started your knot. Put your finger in the loop and hold it against your head. Wrap up the leftover hair however you wish.

This is the important part: put the stick/fork through the loop, scoop up some scalp hair, and then push through the knot towards the lower left (around 7-8 o'clock). Make sure you catch some hair from that edge of the knot on your way out. The hair from the knot should form the outer threads on the stick/fork.

Does that make sense? You may need to pin up the ends after you anchor the knot, depending on where they fall.

podo
August 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Also, if someone has super simple steps for braiding more than 3 strands, I'd be interested in that info. :flowers:

I've been working on my 5-strand. I keep meaning to set up a photo-tutorial...remind me and I'll try to do it next week!

dorothea-brooke
August 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
This is the way I do it and it holds very tightly, all day long.

When you push the loop out the top, fold it up and to the right, so it's at about 1-2 o'clock, depending on how you've started your knot. Put your finger in the loop and hold it against your head. Wrap up the leftover hair however you wish.

This is the important part: put the stick/fork through the loop, scoop up some scalp hair, and then push through the knot towards the lower left (around 7-8 o'clock). Make sure you catch some hair from that edge of the knot on your way out. The hair from the knot should form the outer threads on the stick/fork.

Does that make sense? You may need to pin up the ends after you anchor the knot, depending on where they fall.

Thanks, podo! I have my hair up in an utterly perfect Orchid Bun at the moment, or I would pull it down and try this right away. :)

As soon as my hair comes down, I'm giving it a go!

:flower:

frizzinator
August 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM
I anchor with a hairstick, going in at about 2:00 and coming out at about 8:00 (pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=6839)).

This bun comes out looser than most of the other ones I do, ........

..... maybe your knot needs to be a little tighter? .......

I keep it tight by making the initial loop as small as possible.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/42208.jpg

niccomama
August 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Good Hair Day Pins

I'm super up-do challenged! I've been trying to do a simple bun (cinnamon bun?) w/ Good Hair day pins that I read about on this site. But how do you put these in? Right now I'm sitting on a bunch of twisted deformed pins after trying different ways to put them it!

Thank you!

angelthadiva
August 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I've been working on my 5-strand. I keep meaning to set up a photo-tutorial...remind me and I'll try to do it next week!

Thank you, kindly! :)

heidi w.
August 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
2 RECOMMENDATIONS:

There's an UPDO SOCIAL GROUP here on LHC.

There's the STYLING STATION with lots of how to and end result photos on The Long Hair Loom website with a similar audience as here -- mostly women. (That crowd also does a lot of henna and are quite informed about that.) Run by Fox, who's Shea Butter recipe is here on the LHC recipes forum.

heidi w.

dorothea-brooke
August 22nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks, podo! I have my hair up in an utterly perfect Orchid Bun at the moment, or I would pull it down and try this right away. :)

As soon as my hair comes down, I'm giving it a go!

:flower:

Okay, I tried it -- and it worked! Thanks, podo -- a new 'do in my permanent repertoire. :flower:

dorothea-brooke
August 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
There's an UPDO SOCIAL GROUP here on LHC.

There is? *** runs off to join ***

Thanks, heidi w.! :flower:

susiemw
August 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
don't forget to search on youtube.com, they have lots of great videos. I love it for hair updo/braid instructions.

Susan