PDA

View Full Version : Thicker hair...

Solange
August 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
To those who have successfully gained/regained thickness, what worked best for you? Scalp massages, MSM, biotin, other?

Mourning my formerly very thick hair (5-6" circumference) which has thinned due to stress and/or medication....

sibylla
August 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Solange!

I think that the scalp massage I do every evening has improved my thickness a lot. I like to use a BBB (Boar bristle brush) as my hair seems to like it. Many here donīt use a brush because it can cause breakage. Using henna has also made my hair stronger and thicker than it was before.
Hope this helps!

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hi Solange, I'm sorry to hear about your hair trouble. I started taking some vitamins from Vitamin World called Green Source, and my hair does seem to be getting thicker. I have a lot of little baby hairs popping up so I guess thats why. On the down side you have to take 3 a day, they are huge and green and taste like spinach. Yuk! But whatever works, right?:)

Hatsumomo
August 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I went from seven inches around to 3-4 around so I know it's pretty bad. Sorry to hear about your loss:(!

Mine was hormonal so the main fix was sorting that out. Along with scalp massages, my hair has started to come back and is now 5 around again.

dorothea-brooke
August 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I don't know that I've ever had any hair loss, so it's a gain and not a RE-gain, but my thickness has definitely increased in the past year.
(In fact, need to go change my profile cause I'm officially a iii at 4.25" now!)

I know a lot of folks here have had loss and then regained, so don't despair! :flower:

What might have worked for me: I started taking biotin, I do daily horn-comb scritching (which is kind of like massage), I only wash once a week.

Good luck; these things are cyclical, so try not to worry too much!

Beatnik Guy
August 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Silica may help too.

Other than that, I have no big ideas, Solange, but I'm very glad to see you posting here; some may recall that Sol used to frequent TLHS. :D

lawyermom
August 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
There's a poster named ChloeDarma who just recently started a thread about succesfully regaining her lost thickness. It should only be a page or 2 back :)

ChloeDharma
August 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
There's a poster named ChloeDarma who just recently started a thread about succesfully regaining her lost thickness. It should only be a page or 2 back :)

You called? lol

Yes i lost alot of hair due to illness and although i've not completely regained all of it i have increased in thickness by about 150% compared to when my hair was at its thinnest.
Addressing your medical condition has to be the first step as if that has caused the hairloss then not much is likely to help until you do.
The things i have found reduce my shedding are regular scalp massage....every night as a bedtime routine or when watching telly i find good to do it. Bent over scalp brushing (scalp brushing also helped a member called Hatsumomo), herb washes using Indian herbs.....i didn't stick to one specific recipe, but usually they contained shikakai, methi seed, cayenne pepper and any of amla, brahmi, bhringraj and kapur kachli....oh and henna sometimes too. Most of those in one way or another have a tradition of being used to encourage growth.
I also scalp oil alot using bhringraj oil.

I hope something there is helpfull, good luck....and really try to look up some stress management techniques as that can make a huge difference.

zaftig2k
August 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I had a massive (post menopausal) thinning phase a few years back, and had great success using Nioxin products. It took about 6 months to begin to see some serious progress, but that is understandable. Keep in mind that I have used them religiously for the last 3 years, (never varied from the routine), and I'm still using them, because they work. I do also take Country Life Maxi-Hair suppliments as well. Much thicker and fuller now. I'm very happy with the results.

Sandie

CountessDeJager
August 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM
No knowledge here either (or Bill would have thicker hair right now) but I had to add to the joyous welcomes. Solange, you were one of my first friends online and it hasn't been the same without seeing you regularly. Thank you so much for being here now. With my big sister here all is right with my world, even if Bill left me for a week to wrestle alligators. :p He promises photos!

Squealing with glee,

Elizabeth

podo
August 12th, 2008, 10:24 AM
When I had hair loss due to medication I found I just had to wait it out. :(

Assuming you stop taking the medicine that is causing it (it generally takes 6-8 months for the shedding to start) then it will eventually stop and you should regrow whatever you lost. I know it's hard to just accept it, especially since you have to spend time regaining lost length, but it gives you a chance to focus on how you care for your hair instead of just getting whatever length you can. By the time you stop shedding and start gaining length again you'll have a healthy routine developed, and it will hopefully be a habit for you!

Solange
August 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
No knowledge here either (or Bill would have thicker hair right now) but I had to add to the joyous welcomes. Solange, you were one of my first friends online and it hasn't been the same without seeing you regularly. Thank you so much for being here now. With my big sister here all is right with my world, even if Bill left me for a week to wrestle alligators. :p He promises photos!

Squealing with glee,

Elizabeth
What a sweet little sister I have. Thanks for the welcome. I'd like to point out that you know where else to find me, and probably more easily than in this huge place. So what's that about Bill wrestling alligators???

Solange
August 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Silica may help too.

Other than that, I have no big ideas, Solange, but I'm very glad to see you posting here; some may recall that Sol used to frequent TLHS. :D
Thanks, Chris, though I don't *promise* to stick around. Let's see if I can get in the habit of coming here, I suppose...looking forward to those "nooks" appearing.

CountessDeJager
August 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Oh Bill's off at a training class in some state that begins with the letter M but not Maryland or Maine. Not Montana but Missouri um Mississippi! I think. He told me he had to be prepared for fieldwork where he might encounter snakes, leeches, ticks, and maybe even a bear. That's worry enough to make my hair fall out! So far it hasn't though. Yesterday he called to tell me they had the chance to hold a baby alligator about a foot long and a three foot long alligator as well. :surprise:

I'd say continued resting, laughter, and having your husband take you out to dinner a lot would be good. If it doesn't help your hair at least it would be fun. :)

Yedda
December 27th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I had a massive (post menopausal) thinning phase a few years back, and had great success using Nioxin products. It took about 6 months to begin to see some serious progress, but that is understandable. Keep in mind that I have used them religiously for the last 3 years, (never varied from the routine), and I'm still using them, because they work. I do also take Country Life Maxi-Hair suppliments as well. Much thicker and fuller now. I'm very happy with the results.

Sandie

Just one question, I just bought the Nioxin line, and directions on the bottle say to use daily. Since it is not generally recommended to wash hair daily, can I get the same results using it less frequently or must I use it daily?

Darkhorse1
December 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I know a friend of my mom's lost hair due to stress (like, clumps) and she found it grew in with scalp massages. When I shed lots of hair due to stress, the culprit was very sore SD. Treated the SD helped the hair grow back.

I'm going through a mini shed right now, but after being here, I'm noticing my hair is all around healthier.

If it's related to stress and medication, see what your doctor can suggest. My mom had this problem in regards to a medical condition and got some products to help growth and it's working! :)

Kirin
December 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
This may , or may not help, but I had been shedding near squirrels in my shower every day, and in hairbrushes and around the house. I'd gone down incredibly in thickness, but had no health problems and take no medication.

When I returned to shampooing daily, and ditched conditioner entirely, the shed stopped and my thickness has gained. I don't know why this is.... but it works for me.

Nevermore
December 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I never lost thickness that I was aware of, but I've gained half an inch of thickness since I quit using shampoo entirely. I believe I've had a sulfate allergy for quite awhile because the last time I used shampoo, I shed rabbits and my scalp was itchy, red, sore and just generally unhappy for a MONTH afterwards. It took two months for it to go back to a decent level of health and another to get it close to what it had been before the shampoo. Fortunately, I didn't experience any real loss of thickness, but I'm absolutely not trying shampoo again.

tl;dr: Try CO or some other non-sulfate method of washing, if you aren't already doing that.

MollySays
December 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hello! I'm going through the same thing, that's how I wound up here - looking for advice and ideas! Boy did I ever find them. :D I never really measured my hair before coming here, but based on how my hair used to feel compared to how it feels now, I estimate I lost 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ponytail thickness over the last several months. It seems like my front hairline is so much thinner now too. I went to the doctor and had bloodwork done just in case (waiting on the results now) and I've started taking supplements (biotin, MSM, fish oil). If I see any results with them I will be sure to let you know. Here's hoping we both see a change for the better, and SOON! :blossom:

Phoenix06
December 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
About a year ago I found this website and was experiencing a major shed and was going bald at my temples after pregnancy I think it was due to lack of vitamins and minerals and not eating enough while I was nursing. I started taking vitamins again and my hormones adjusted and I went from about a 2.5 inch pony to now about 4 inch pony... For me I have to take vitamins every day and exercise for blood circulation and relax!:) I think avoiding stress is important...