PDA

View Full Version : Straight hair and bad hair days.

Rufflebutt
October 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I have straight hair and while it's probably more manageable than curly hair, I still get my fair share of bad hair days.

But every time I get one, all of my closet curly friends have to give me an ear-full about how since I have straight hair that I never have bad hair days and that I should be grateful. XP It's really annoying.

Does anyone else experience this?

Ocelan
October 12th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I don't usually complain about my straight hair bad hair days (I just tie it up in a bun then) and most of my friends are straight-haired anywar, but I really do know what bad hair days are so I hear you.

My bad hair can range anywhere from ends being bent the wrong way and tangling a lot, being extra staticky, looking really limp against your head for no reason, showing signs of being dirty very easily to having that annoying hair-was-wrong-way-when-slept-like-this pouf that you can't tame down any way you try.
I'm sure there are bad hair days for all kinds of hair and nobody should think they know and can comment on other people's hair better than they do them selves.

Natalia
October 12th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Im not stick straight and if i wore it down would probably be classified as wavier than i am (i shower at night so i get pillow smush texture) but i get bad hairdays too. Mostly the stringy/staticy/cling to my head like saran wrap variety. I can empathise with the bend hair bit too.

AineMuirne
October 12th, 2012, 05:09 AM
I have stick straight hair and my bad hair days consist primarily of oil showing, either left over coconut oil, or scalp oil the day after wash (I can only go a day without washing and it still looks bad on the skipped day >:|). I also have days where it's just EXCESSIVELY TANGLY, but those are very rare since consistently using homemade shampoo, vinegar/aloe rinse, and conditioner with silk protein.

I end up putting it in a bun on those days. Yesterday, I washed it and it was super incredibly nice while wet and it dried with the length oily, even though I hadn't even oiled it. GAHHHHHHHH! I think I left too much conditioner in. Straight hair is so picky about showing oil/buildup/anything that weighs it down.

palaeoqueen
October 12th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Actually it's nice to read this because I've spent years thinking that "if only" my hair were straight rather than sort-of-wavy-but-it-can't-really-decide then my hair would be magically perfect all the time with no bad hair days. Just goes to prove that I was chasing an imaginary ideal all those years!

eros
October 12th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I have stick straight hair and my bad hair days consist primarily of oil showing, either left over coconut oil, or scalp oil the day after wash (I can only go a day without washing and it still looks bad on the skipped day >:|). I also have days where it's just EXCESSIVELY TANGLY, but those are very rare since consistently using homemade shampoo, vinegar/aloe rinse, and conditioner with silk protein.

ugh,that's so annoying. I get oil leftover in my hair all the time. I don't want to use too much shampoo either, because then it defeats the purpose of oiling and it'll just get dry/tangly! :(

AineMuirne
October 12th, 2012, 05:36 AM
ugh,that's so annoying. I get oil leftover in my hair all the time. I don't want to use too much shampoo either, because then it defeats the purpose of oiling and it'll just get dry/tangly! :(

Yeah. >_< I conditioned 4 times last time I oiled my hair and that seems to get it all out. *fingers crossed* I guess I just can't leave in conditioner, even if it's in a 1/64th ratio. I don't feel so badly using my natural shampoo down the length, but I still don't like to do it often.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 12th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Wow, I never thought straight haired folks could have bad hair days. I think straight hair always looks beautiful. Shows what I know, lol.

MsBubbles
October 12th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Having fine, straight, slippery hair in the 80s during the big, poufy curly hair era, I had nothing but bad hair days!

Sounds like a case of the grass-is-greener for your friend.

Although I am guilty of thinking people with medium or coarse iii thickness hair must have it made :).

Rufflebutt
October 12th, 2012, 05:55 AM

I end up putting it in a bun on those days. Yesterday, I washed it and it was super incredibly nice while wet and it dried with the length oily, even though I hadn't even oiled it. GAHHHHHHHH! I think I left too much conditioner in. Straight hair is so picky about showing oil/buildup/anything that weighs it down.

I used to think I had abnormally tangly hair as well. XD I recently learned that a study had proven that it's actually straight hair that tangles more! http://www.livescience.com/1876-study-curly-hair-tangles.html

Which is really weird. I never would have thought.

AineMuirne
October 12th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I used to think I had abnormally tangly hair as well. XD I recently learned that a study had proven that it's actually straight hair that tangles more! http://www.livescience.com/1876-study-curly-hair-tangles.html

Which is really weird. I never would have thought.

Maybe because straight hair moves so much? I wouldn't have thought, either. I thought [super] curly haired people couldn't even get a brush/comb through their hair unless it's wet? Shows what I know about curly hair! Hmmm... My hair rarely tangles, but there are just some days that make me want to scream!

maborosi
October 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Straight hair can be extremely fickle. For me, my hair will pretty much do what it wants if I don't dry it down. If I go to bed with it damp, it's going to look like a wonderful mess in the morning. Not that this matters, since I wear my hair up for work, but still.

Sometimes my bangs do not do what I want them to. It is incredibly frustrating. I sometimes wish I had the kind of straight hair that doesn't hold texture, like my sister, but ah...I suppose it's the price I pay for being able to get a nice curly look sometimes.

~maborosi~

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2012, 08:58 AM
My hair is fairly straight and I have bad days I just brush them off. I try to ignore them hope for the best the next day.