PDA

View Full Version : My Hair Versus My New Cartlidge Piercings

Maelyssa
October 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Roughly two weeks ago I got two new cartridge piercings at the top of my left ear (part of my birthday gifts..yay). I know the healing time is longer than lobe piercings but they're still tender enough that its making it a bit hard to shampoo my scalp properly in that area and I'm finding that my scalp is getting yucky along the hairline on that side. I tend to get yucky, flaky scalp (for lack of professional diagnosis) if I don't give a decent, vigorous rub to the scalp when shampooing.

Any tips on how to deal or work around it? Any clue how long it will be before the piercings can be touched a bit more without the tenderness?

Thanks!

door72067
October 11th, 2012, 07:49 PM
keeping that area clean is very necessary for new piercings.

just be gentle, and take your time

Chimom79
October 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Yep, def what door said. I used to have lots of upper ear piercings, not now, but used to. Lol! Man they can be sore, right? Makes me sudder remembering them. I didn't have an issue when shampooing really, but when my hair was down I would get strands caught in the piercings and wow, it was unpleasant while my holes were healing! Def wash gently but as effectively as you can along that hairline.

You wanna make sure any dirt and hair oils or anything else you may use on hair or scalp doesn't build up and possibly cause probs with the piercings. Hopefully, and I'm sure you are, you are doing pure sea salt soaks on the piercings. Never idiozed salts and it should be warm but not too hot. They are the best for the piercings by far. Good luck!

Maelyssa
October 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks so much for the advice ladies....most definitely going to handle with TLC. I love them and my long hair too!

kitcatsmeow
October 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM
If you don't have allergies may I recommend warm chamomile tea bag compresses. It promotes healing, it's very soothing and takes the swelling out. I use it on all my piercings and recently when my conch piercing got infected/banged. It was hurting more than the initial healing (piercing it did not hurt) and was extremely swollen. Chamomile tea was a life saver!

Be gentle and go slow but make sure you thoroughly clean your scalp as everyone else said and try SS soaks as well.

jacqueline101
October 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I have two cartlidge piercings in each ear at the top. My hair used to get wound around the ear rings. Man did that hurt. Sea salt soaks helped mine warm water and sea salt added dip a q tip in the cup swab ears with it.

Maelyssa
October 12th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I'm definitely going to give te sea salt soaks that everyone is mentioning a try. And I have I ragweed allergies so I'll stock up on chamomile tea to experiment with. I'm so happy you ladies are helping me out.

Suguru
October 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Go and have a chat to the people on the piercing thread...there's lots of wisdom and good advice there! One thing I would advise (unrelated to hair washing) is that you get a ring of some sort into it as soon as possible. I had a stud in my upper helix piercing initially and my side hairs kept getting wrapped around the back of the stud and breaking off. This irritated the piercing and prolonged the healing time and obviously damaged my hair on that side. I refused to change it for quite a while, going by the whole, leave-it-alone-for-six-months philosophy but it got to the point that my ear was so sore I just couldn't handle it. I finally caved, took out the stud, cleaned the area and put a sleeper in. I was amazed at how quickly it healed after that.

RedheadMistress
October 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
- Depending on where on the cartiledge the piercing is, you cant bend the ear a bit ?

In my experience it took a year for my industrial to heal . A year .
And still hair gets damaged and stuck in the jewellery .. I keep meaning to do something about it but keep forgetting . . hm .

R'ia
October 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the interesting thread! I'm thinking of a spiral ear piercing and hadn't yet considered how mt heir might get tangled in it.