PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions? My hair is "rebelling", haha.

AspenSong
October 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM
So here's the deal - I am slowly getting to TB length, FINALLY....Out of the shower my hair is literally JUST skimming that line at being full out TB. But it's being weird the last couple of weeks......
FYI - I have not changed shampoo (use sulfate free), conditioners (cone free), oils (coconut, sweet almond and jojoba), etc.
It started with my ends feeling fairly tangly. I mean, I've trimmed about 1/2" off in the last three months or so and they got better, but it's gotten suddenly worse. Instead of a few small tangles that I can move with my fingers and get to slide free, it feels like trying to untangle straw at times. Today, even with some oil in there, while I was braiding it, the ends would get knotted to kingdom come when I separated any hair out and it'd take me at least a minute each time to detangle. Also, I've started to get knots in my hair at night....sleeping with a satin cap on! That has Never happened before. It's right on the top layer of hair at the back of my head.
Generally, this is getting frustrating. I've clarified, I've conditioned, I have no idea what else to do. I know my ends are getting thinner and in an ideal world, I'd probably get 2" cut, freshen them up, thicken the hemline a bit hopefully, etc....but I'm just so attached to finally getting near a length I've been trying to get back to for 8 years, that I just don't want to have to cut.
Any suggestions? Because I don't know what to do....I've even wondered if after 3 years I should go back to cones....just don't know what's going on!

Arya
October 4th, 2012, 10:51 PM
This was my hair two weeks ago! I went in for a trim, and ended up at waist, because I'd left my ends too long, and they were too damaged. Why not micro trim yourself?

Loveisaverb
October 5th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I agree with micro trim and cut little my little each month.
Your ends may need an SMT or some kind of moisture or deep treatment.
But if it doesn't get any better you may need to take of 2 inches.
Don't worry a little TLC never hurts your hair.

AspenSong
October 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I'm bumping this because I'm super AWESOME and posted this like, HOURS before LHC went offline. lol. (My Thread Killer abilities apparently have spread to the entire site....Fingers crossed I don't re-kill it with this post. ;) )
I have S&D'ed while the site has been offline, started using my other cone free conditioner I switch back and forth to from V05...etc...
I am STILL tangly. =/

Isilme
October 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
You need to give us more information! Do you have any damage from dyes or rough treatment? Because S&D might not be enough, a trim now and then doesn't hurt.
Also, have you clarified? If you use styling products or heavy conditioners you need to use SLS once in awhile.
I believe that most hair problems can be fixed with a tiny trim (or more if it is needed) and clarifying!
But as I said, we need more info. What products are you using, how do you detangle, how does your hair history look?
ETA, the site made it look like your last post was the first in this thread, sorry. With more info I think you might need to clarify, I'm almost 100% sure that is the source of your tangles!

Isilme
October 12th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I feel so stupid, sorry again. I see you have clarified. Well, are you sure it was enough? Clarify again and then trim, consider switching up your products. There may be something that is causing heavy buildup right after you have clarified.
You haven't recently moved or done something to the water quality?
If you have hard water, get a filter or change it if you already have one. (I don't know how filters work but I just assume you have to change them every now and then)

AspenSong
October 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM
No problem Isilme!

Just to refresh everyone and clarify everything (haha..no pun intended!)

Ok, so I've actually now clarified three times, very thoroughly!
I trimmed in the recent last few months.
I have a shower filter that's been changed recently, I usually change out the filter about a month before it's due, just to be safe.
No rough handling, dye, heat treatment, etc. I occasionally henna/cassia glaze, for shine. I haven't dyed in over 4 years now and have gotten all that cut off now. I don't use any styling products. I'm pretty simple with my hair. I wash with sulfate free shampoo, condition with VO5, Silkience (SP), Deep condition/oil with olive oil, coconut oil and sweet almond oil, sometimes I add a bit of honey to those. Light oiling with Jojoba.
I lightly comb with a tangle teezer, and my hair is in some form of bun 98% of the time and in a satin sleep cap at night.

CurlyMopTop
October 12th, 2012, 08:13 PM
My vote is for either a super moisturizing mask (treatment) used at least on the last 6 inches of your hair. I'd try a heavier conditioner as a base for the treatment. I noticed you have fine hair, sometimes too much oil will make my ends do the same thing. If that doesn't work, maybe something with protein if your hair likes protein. Most of the lighter conditioners don't have much for protein in them. When my ends get that way, it needs moisture or protein, less oil, and/or clarify but you already tried that. :) good luck, I hope you find a solution, then let me know for future reference.

bunnylake
October 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Maybe it's time to try a new routine?
Or maybe your hair has become sensitive to protein, which can make it feel pretty rough. Check the ingredients in the products you're using.

battles
October 12th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I'm not terribly sure of the weather over there, but do you think it could have anything to do with a change in the air because of the seasons changing? Try to mess with your routine before trimming, you may not need it.

I find I have to switch to a heavier conditioner in fall/winter and step up the deep treatments. Something to look into. :flower:

Madora
October 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Have you clarified with an actual clarifying shampoo?

It may be that what you're putting on your hair is warring with each other, causing the tangly hair problem.

Try and limit what you put on your hair. Use a shampoo and a conditioner (not a two in one product).

You might want to try a drop or two of mineral oil (baby oil) to help detangle.

If one part of your hair is very bothersome, I suggest you isolate that area by parting it, then detangling the hair, and then braiding it loosely.

I assume you are wearing your hair up to protect it from tangling.

Torrin Paige
October 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM
It is only my opinion, and I am sure there are many here who will totally disagree with me, but I think it's time to go back to cones -perhaps just on your last 4-6 inches of hair. The thing is, TB hair has been there a long time and no matter how good you are to it it'll still get damaged simply due to age. Cones will give you the slip you need so it won't tangle. Like I said, that's only my opinion formed from my personal experience. I could never have hair longer than waist length without cones. That's probably due to my texture and the way I treat it, but still, cones are a godsend to me.

petali
October 12th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I was going to say what Torrington Paige said :)

anitacs9101
October 12th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I had this happen to me a little while ago. Maybe check out this article? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) I read it and decided I might have protein overdose, since I did just try a new shampoo with protein. I tried an SMT and my hair revived :D

I'm interested to see what others say!

Iolanthe13
October 13th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Is it possible your hair is overmoisturised? Mine did that when I tried CO-washing - turned out that for once, my hair needed protein.

AspenSong
October 13th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I had this happen to me a little while ago. Maybe check out this article? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) I read it and decided I might have protein overdose, since I did just try a new shampoo with protein. I tried an SMT and my hair revived :D

I'm interested to see what others say!

Read it and actually, my hair reminds me more of the more moisture end when it's dried like that with nothing. *shrug*

AspenSong
October 13th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Is it possible your hair is overmoisturised? Mine did that when I tried CO-washing - turned out that for once, my hair needed protein.

I don't know...but I really don't think so. I've sort of been doing less to it as far as anything. I only wash once to twice a week...and condition just then, not always heavily or for long or anything. Who knows at this point. lol

AspenSong
October 13th, 2012, 05:55 PM
It is only my opinion, and I am sure there are many here who will totally disagree with me, but I think it's time to go back to cones -perhaps just on your last 4-6 inches of hair. The thing is, TB hair has been there a long time and no matter how good you are to it it'll still get damaged simply due to age. Cones will give you the slip you need so it won't tangle. Like I said, that's only my opinion formed from my personal experience. I could never have hair longer than waist length without cones. That's probably due to my texture and the way I treat it, but still, cones are a godsend to me.

Yeah, see I've been wondering this myself. I'm just half worried about using them because last couple times I started to go back to them, I felt like chopping all my hair off because my hair felt.....crunchity, for lack of a better word, afterwards when it was wet and then hellaciously dry and sticky when it was dry. Though, if I have any coney stuff left in the house....I might give it a trial run. I think I have a bit of my former favorite coney stuff, Finesse condish, in here somewhere.

AspenSong
October 13th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Have you clarified with an actual clarifying shampoo?

It may be that what you're putting on your hair is warring with each other, causing the tangly hair problem.

Try and limit what you put on your hair. Use a shampoo and a conditioner (not a two in one product).

You might want to try a drop or two of mineral oil (baby oil) to help detangle.

If one part of your hair is very bothersome, I suggest you isolate that area by parting it, then detangling the hair, and then braiding it loosely.

I assume you are wearing your hair up to protect it from tangling.

I have done that to clarify...still weird.
I just got some baby oil to try finally, will be giving that a go!
And oh yes...my hair is ALWAYS up. I would love to be able to wear it down, but it's just so stinkin' baby fine, that I can't unless it's got a drop or two, TOO much oil on it. It's like spiderwebs, blowing in a breeze. I mean, the strands are so tiny and light, they're everywhere. So the safest thing for me, is having it up 98% of the time. The 2% of the time is when I'm just at home doing nothing, letting it air dry or when I get a wild "hair" and decide to leave it down when I leave the house, which lasts for all of 153 seconds roughly, before I put it up anyway. haha

blaketob
October 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Ever since its gotton really cold my hair has been knotting a lot worse then usual I know the frustration of having to try to "gently" detangle hair. Maybe do some deep treatments or by a nice detangler

MrsGuther
October 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Have you tried mineral oil?

Mesmerise
October 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM

This is kind of what I'm thinking too. I use sulfate free shampoo, but I have gone back to using cones for conditioning. My hair is obviously not as long as yours, by a long shot, but it honestly doesn't tangle (I got a small tangle the other day and was like OMG I HAS A TANGLE!!).

I have quite thin hair which seems to contribute to the lack of tangleness, and as yours is a i in thickness, I assume yours has the potential to be similar, especially as it's straight (mine's only on the low side of ii).

However, all this being said, I have no idea how my hair would behave at TB length! I'm only about MBL at the moment.

spidermom
October 13th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Here are a few options: You can try to cut any damage away hair by hair. You could microtrim a small amount off each month. You could do a deep moisture treatment. You could use a coney serum just on the troublesome ends. You could live with it and gnash your teeth every time you need to comb out your hair.

AspenSong
October 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Well I cut about 1/2" off last night - I felt bald afterwards, lol. JK.
I used mineral oil last week - My hair does NOT like that. I used it very very sparingly and it just made my hair feel weird, is all I can say. I sadly didn't get the softness everyone else seems to get. I actually felt my ends were a bit More tangly somehow. =/ Too bad too, I actually LOVE the smell of baby/mineral oil!

And then last night I found the lone bottle of coney conditioner in the house that was bought accidentally by hubby about a year ago - A Suave Naturals or something, not in the usual Suave bottle, it's in a big squarish green bottle and it's supposed to have shea butter in it. It's a Dimethicone and Amodimethicone conditioner. I used it from about 3-4" inches down from my nape to the ends, last night and used my usual V05 on the rest of my hair.
This morning - I notice my hair seems oddly, both more slippery in areas and slightly "sticky" also. Before the tangle issues started, I could comb my hair out, shake my head around and get no tangles, my hair just seemed to slip around and not tangle. After last night, it's slippery, but seems to tangle on itself in a different way than it was before....Like in using my tangle teezer, when I flip to my other shoulder and pull it over to brush, it'll tangle between going from one shoulder to another like some of the hairs are getting stuck to each other. Hard to explain. lol.

So I'm just going to see how it goes. I might use a little of the coney stuff once a week or something, and still use the other conditioners without cones the rest of the time. Just see what happens. If it keeps feel sticky, I guess I'll just clarify, get the cones off if they're there and stick with my usual routine and just keep trimming and wait for it to hopefully get better!