PDA

View Full Version : Jamaican black castor oil vs coconut vs jojoba vs mustard oils?less hair shed&thicken

lole18
October 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Which are the best to the worse? And what's the difference between JBCO & regular castor oil & JB extra CO? :) using it as a hot oil treatment twice a week for an hour :)

jeanniet
October 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
It's really a matter of what works best for your hair. Hair doesn't seem to always react the same to oils, so I'd say try them out and see what you like the best. Usually people start with coconut oil and then branch out from there if they find that CO doesn't work that well for them. Castor oil is heavier and stickier, so if you want to use it you might want to mix it with something a little lighter to make it easier to distribute.

meteor
October 4th, 2012, 12:25 PM
For hair growth and thickness, I'd say go with castor oil, mustard oil and coconut oil.
Jojoba is very light oil, a type of wax, and it's closest to sebum. It's overall very good for hair and skin ... but I wouldn't say that it's specifically targeting thickness and growth.
Castor oil reportedly speeds up growth and helps thickness. From my experience, mustard oil is phenomenal for scalp health (very antifungal and stimulating - you might feel tingling), so it's good for growth too. Coconut oil is good for both scalp and hair, but I think it's not as powerful for thickness and reducing shedding (unless you infuse it with herbs or add essential oils).

lole18
October 4th, 2012, 01:22 PM
For hair growth and thickness, I'd say go with castor oil, mustard oil and coconut oil.
Jojoba is very light oil, a type of wax, and it's closest to sebum. It's overall very good for hair and skin ... but I wouldn't say that it's specifically targeting thickness and growth.
Castor oil reportedly speeds up growth and helps thickness. From my experience, mustard oil is phenomenal for scalp health (very antifungal and stimulating - you might feel tingling), so it's good for growth too. Coconut oil is good for both scalp and hair, but I think it's not as powerful for thickness and reducing shedding (unless you infuse it with herbs or add essential oils).

Is an hour enough or should i leave it for less\more? And what kind of herbs or essential oils? Also whats the best for hair breakage? thanx :)

It's really a matter of what works best for your hair. Hair doesn't seem to always react the same to oils, so I'd say try them out and see what you like the best. Usually people start with coconut oil and then branch out from there if they find that CO doesn't work that well for them. Castor oil is heavier and stickier, so if you want to use it you might want to mix it with something a little lighter to make it easier to distribute.

Is mixing it with mustard coconut oil good? thanx :)

meteor
October 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Is an hour enough or should i leave it for less\more? And what kind of herbs or essential oils? Also whats the best for hair breakage? thanx :)
Many people leave it for a whole night or day, even longer! I'd say if you leave it for a couple hours, you'll see marginally better results than if you leave it for an hour. But of course it depends on how busy you are and if you can stay inside for a day (I do oilings only over night or on weekends). Please remember that only mustard oil smells nasty (kerosene-like). Castor oil, jojoba oil will not smell, and coconut oil smells fine. People won't even notice a light oiling.
As for essential oils good for growth, check out this useful thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001
Personally, I'd look into Chrome Dome blend: http://www.essentialwholesale.com/Chrome-Dome-Essential-Oil-Blend
Bay, Rosemary, Basil, Lavender, Cedarwood, Geranium are some of the good EOs for scalp.

Is mixing it with mustard coconut oil good? thanx :)
Yes! And they are good separately, too. Start with them separately to see how your scalp and hair react to them - this will help you experiment with mixing proportions.
Oh, and if you haven't bought the oils yet, try starting small - oils go bad quickly and a little goes a loooooong way, even though you can use them up on your face and body, too.

Happy mixing! :)

lole18
October 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Many people leave it for a whole night or day, even longer! I'd say if you leave it for a couple hours, you'll see marginally better results than if you leave it for an hour. But of course it depends on how busy you are and if you can stay inside for a day (I do oilings only over night or on weekends). Please remember that only mustard oil smells nasty (kerosene-like). Castor oil, jojoba oil will not smell, and coconut oil smells fine. People won't even notice a light oiling.
As for essential oils good for growth, check out this useful thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001
Personally, I'd look into Chrome Dome blend: http://www.essentialwholesale.com/Chrome-Dome-Essential-Oil-Blend
Bay, Rosemary, Basil, Lavender, Cedarwood, Geranium are some of the good EOs for scalp.

Yes! And they are good separately, too. Start with them separately to see how your scalp and hair react to them - this will help you experiment with mixing proportions.
Oh, and if you haven't bought the oils yet, try starting small - oils go bad quickly and a little goes a loooooong way, even though you can use them up on your face and body, too.

Happy mixing! :)

I have hypo-thyroid this may be the cause of my hair shedding and thinning although i am taking my thyroid medication my hair is still thinning out! So if i mixed JBCO CO and MO what other essential oils can i add for stopping the shedding and regrowing the lost hair and adding thickness? What are the top 3 essential oils to add that are most effective and when will i start noticing a difference if i do it twice a week for an hour? and how many drops should i add if i'm mixing 1 tbsp of each JBCO MO AND CO :) ? i cant put it on for more than an hour or two because my hair falls even more when i leave oil for longer :) but i do not want something to darken my hair i want it to be even lighter if its possible? also is it better to add the essential oils in my hot oil treatment with the other oils or with my shampoo?

meteor
October 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I have hypo-thyroid this may be the cause of my hair shedding and thinning although i am taking my thyroid medication my hair is still thinning out! So if i mixed JBCO CO and MO what other essential oils can i add for stopping the shedding and regrowing the lost hair and adding thickness?
I don't think oils should be your primary method of attacking the problem in this case. If your shedding is due to hormonal problems, you need to fix those first. Oils might help a tiny bit, but you really need to work with your doctor - maybe there are other medication options available. Oils help with breakage and shedding due to super-damaged, super-dry hair, disturbed scalp mantle (conditions like dandruff etc), but oils are NOT likely to help with hormones.

What are the top 3 essential oils to add that are most effective and when will i start noticing a difference if i do it twice a week for an hour? and how many drops should i add if i'm mixing 1 tbsp of each JBCO MO AND CO :) ? i cant put it on for more than an hour or two because my hair falls even more when i leave oil for longer :) but i do not want something to darken my hair i want it to be even lighter if its possible? also is it better to add the essential oils in my hot oil treatment with the other oils or with my shampoo?
Re top 3 essential oils: I'm afraid to recommend, because it depends on your scalp. Do you need more stimulating effect? More anti-fungal/anti-bacterial? More soothing? I hope somebody more knowledgeable than me can answer. Again, it's best to fight hormonal issues with your doctor - oils may not help at all. Helping inside out (i.e. your medication and diet) would be more important.
Definitely don't keep the oil in your hair longer than an hour if it means the difference between you shedding or not! Even 30 minutes are quite effective.
On mixing: http://www.everythingessential.me/Hints/CarrierOils.html
If you scroll down, you'll see a mixing chart. Start with just a drop or two per tablespoon or carrier - and never apply to whole area without testing first due to risk of allergies. Mixing EOs in shampoo works for many people, too. Just don't forget to dilute by a lot of water!

Re darkening: Some people say certain oils darken their hair, but not for long (you should search this forum, because there are different comments on darkening due to oil). Beyond some herb-infused oils, you probably have nothing to worry about. JBCO is more likely to darken your hair than jojoba, mustard, or coconut.

Long_hair_bear
October 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I use coconut oil as a prewash and castor and argon oils in my conditioner.

girlcat36
October 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I used to use regular castor oil, but I recently switched to Jamaican Black Castor Oil and it is SO much better! Not as sticky, the only drawback is that is has an 'ashy' smell, but I add rosemary and lavender essential oil to it. I have also been adding sulfur to my JBCO, since it is supposed to help hair loss and encourage regrowth. I am also hypothyroid, as well hypoparathyroidism, and hyperaldosteronism. Oh, and anemic. All of those things will cause hairloss(lucky me). My shedding has decreased dramatically. I count my shed hairs.....I am only losing 1/3 of the hair I was losing a few months ago.
I use my JBCO/sulfur blend about 5 days a week and leave it on overnight.

bunnylake
October 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thank you for all this information! I have to run out and buy some more oils ASAP!
I have heard that castor oil is quite thick. Would it be as effective if blended with jojoba oil to make it easier to apply?

girlcat36
October 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Now that I think of it, I diluted my JBCO with half coconut oil. I'm sure using jojoba would be fine. I put mine in a hair dye applicator bottle with a tiny hole in the tip. I just run it every 1/2" through my hair before bed.

jeanniet
October 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I have hypo-thyroid this may be the cause of my hair shedding and thinning although i am taking my thyroid medication my hair is still thinning out! So if i mixed JBCO CO and MO what other essential oils can i add for stopping the shedding and regrowing the lost hair and adding thickness? What are the top 3 essential oils to add that are most effective and when will i start noticing a difference if i do it twice a week for an hour? and how many drops should i add if i'm mixing 1 tbsp of each JBCO MO AND CO :) ? i cant put it on for more than an hour or two because my hair falls even more when i leave oil for longer :) but i do not want something to darken my hair i want it to be even lighter if its possible? also is it better to add the essential oils in my hot oil treatment with the other oils or with my shampoo?
If you were recently diagnosed hypothyroid, it will take some time for your thyroid to level out with medication. If you've been on the medication for at least six weeks, you should have bloodwork done again to make sure your dosage is correct, and then again in another six months or so. But it will probably take a few months before you see a big difference in your hair.