PDA

View Full Version : Damp hair + colder months = Head cold

Green Eyes
October 4th, 2012, 04:12 AM
hey guys

i have a very daft question to ask but how can i let my hair dry quickly before i leave in the morning for work?

Ive tried head banging back and forth or bunning or braiding but my head always feels cold and i really dont want to risk getting a cold in the winter months becuase where im from its FREEZING at the moment lol

AutumnLocks
October 4th, 2012, 04:19 AM
hey guys

i have a very daft question to ask but how can i let my hair dry quickly before i leave in the morning for work?

Ive tried head banging back and forth or bunning or braiding but my head always feels cold and i really dont want to risk getting a cold in the winter months becuase where im from its FREEZING at the moment lol

You might be very uncomfortable but you will not get a cold from going out with wet hair. A cold is a virus which you catch from contact with the germs from someone else who has it. Wash your hair at night before you go to bed. That way it will be nice and clean when you go to work in the morning. I'm a big proponent of night time showers and hair washings.

melusine963
October 4th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Wash your hair at night before you go to bed. That way it will be nice and clean when you go to work in the morning. I'm a big proponent of night time showers and hair washings.

I second this. There's no way I'd get my hair to dry on time if I washed it in the mornings. My only other suggestion would be to use a hairdrier on low heat. Or just wear a hat when you go out with damp hair.

Green Eyes
October 4th, 2012, 05:29 AM
kl kl thanks guys always feel daft about asking that, i get what you mean autum locks i keep telling my mother in law i cant get a cold but she think because am asthmatic i need to be extra careful lol x

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I know I got one from doing that.

Oksana
October 4th, 2012, 05:40 AM
My mother always used to tell me off for going out with wet hair in the cold weather as she said it would give me a cold! If it is really cold outside I will gently blow-dry my scalp on warm.

Nae
October 4th, 2012, 06:26 AM
You could damp bun it and then get a big slouchy wool hat. It should keep you warm even if it gets a bit damp. Once you get someplace warmer you could remove the hat and continue to dry it.

You could also use the cool setting on a hair dryer if you want. It may take quite a while though.

I usually throw a hat on and go, or I shower in the evenings during the winter. Then you have dry hair and are good to go.

hermosamendoza
October 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM
the one and only Dr. Oz show i ever saw was about this. He said in the summer the warm pressure pushes germs up and keeps them moving so they are far from us...that's why we don't get sick easily when it's warm out.
When it's cold the warm pressure isn't there and the germs fall down and are in the air around us and land on us. So has nothing to do with wet or dry hair. it's about the air around us.

morrigan*
October 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM
But you can get sore throat, if you go out with damp hair when is cold?

HintOfMint
October 5th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Regardless of actually getting sick, I can imagine one feels terrible with a cold damp head and cold weather.

I highly recommend washing at night and a touch of a warm blowdryer to finish off any lingering dampness in the morning.

bunnylake
October 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM
You could get a quick-dry microfiber towel to help soak up some of the excess moisture also

AineMuirne
October 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Being excessively cold (particularly in areas like your head, where the cold easily affects you/spreads to the rest of your body) weakens your immune system. But you can't catch a virus itself from cold weather. It just makes you more susceptible. That's why you get a fever when you're fighting an infection- heat is less habitable to germs.

AcornMystic
October 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Being excessively cold (particularly in areas like your head, where the cold easily affects you/spreads to the rest of your body) weakens your immune system. But you can't catch a virus itself from cold weather. It just makes you more susceptible. That's why you get a fever when you're fighting an infection- heat is less habitable to germs.

This is exactly what I was going to say. That is why they call it a cold. It's used colloquially. Don't take it literally...

I agree, the best way to prevent this is to wash it the night before. Leave yourself some time before bed to let it air dry (This is what I like to do, having some tea, kill some time with a 2+ hour movie) or if you want you can wash it right before bed and then just use a means of keeping your pillow dry etc. I can't remember the last time I actually washed my hair on a work morning... I've washed it on a work day.. but I had quite a bit of time for it to dry. Anerways, yeah. That's what I'd do. :)

spookyghost
October 12th, 2012, 08:58 AM
A microfiber towel can help speed up the drying process a little or use a diffuser on your hair since its a little more gentle.

Sleeping on my hair wet has never been an option for me. Lots of people do it but I look like someone hit me up side the head with a board when I sleep on wet hair. And yes I have used silky scarves, sleep wraps, night caps, and satin pillowcased. My hair air dries great only right after I wash and I dont touch it at all till its dry.

I just started CG so Im wondering how my air drying hair this winter is going to go. I start work at 6am and get up at 3:50 so I can air dry my hair inside as much as possible. So thats waht Im going.

QMacrocarpa
October 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I hate to have damp hair in cold weather too. And I also hate to have damp hair in hot weather, when it feels like a hideous humidity monster on my head! I've gradually cut back on hair-washing frequency, so now I have wet hair just weekly-ish. That works pretty well for me.

Green Eyes
October 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys am surprised at the amount of responses lol I've recently bought a new hat n tried washin the night before however the old problem is that every time I make my part n leave it to dry a bit before I go to bed, it always looks like a birds nest the next day lol