PDA

View Full Version : The Haircut & Face-shape-thread

frogs
October 4th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Sorry for the bad name - i couldnt come up with a better titel for this thread. I am wondering:
What is your faceshape? What hairstyles and haircuts do you find suit your faceshape? What hairstyles do you think are less suitable for your faceshape? We can exchange styling tips for our different face shapes and talk about "faceshape - myths" - like you should never have bangs if you have a square faceshape (not true..)

I am a square faceshape with a very strong jawbone and high cheekbones and i find that a shaved head suits me, and hair beneath APL suits me, but nothing in between, a pixie does not look good at all, chin length looks even worse.
"Faceframing and softening" layers are horrible with my face- it makes the squarness even more noticable.

Avital88
October 4th, 2012, 04:42 AM
i have a heart shaped face with strong jawbones and high cheekbones, i think shaved head doesnt suit me but anything longer than a bob does.
I remember having an angled bob and it really suited me:-) pixie makes me head look longer

millyaulait
October 4th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I have a round/oval face with very little bone structure.

I *need* side bangs for my face to look okay, and to cut into the roundness.

Angles are great, I looked at my absolute best when I had a jaw-length asymmetrical bob. It was sharp and gave me features! But, for long hair, side bangs are a must.

I tried out those full bangs, a la Zooey Deschanel, but they shortened my face too much and I realized that I had to have my arched eyebrows (also super important! angles angles angles!) in view, the full bangs hid them and looked unflattering.

Layers are also good, I've found that long, blunt hair on me pulls my face downwards. You'd think this would be a good thing, lengthening a round face, but it is just very unflattering and quite aging. So, I'll always have long layers & side bangs as long as I have long hair.

I hope this helps anyone with a face shape like mine! :flower:

Mindy
October 4th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I have an oval face with a narrow jaw. Anything shorter than chin length accentuates the longness of my face and doesn't look flattering. I look best with a chin length, or just past chin length bob. Any longer than that, and I really need face framing layers to add dimension. Long chin length fringe looks best, short fringe is not at all flattering. It makes my forehead look wide and out of proportion to the rest of my face.

Having said that, my hair is currently halfway between APL and BSL without any fringe. I don't like the way it looks in an updo. It's too severe and doesn't suit my face. Laziness however, is keeping me from cutting a fringe. With my whirls, it would need washed and styled every day. Not really conducive to the benign neglect that I'm practicing now, which involves stretching washes, wearing it up, and forgetting about it.

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I like the v hem line for a layer look.

palaeoqueen
October 4th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I have a round/oval face with very little bone structure.

I *need* side bangs for my face to look okay, and to cut into the roundness.

Angles are great, I looked at my absolute best when I had a jaw-length asymmetrical bob. It was sharp and gave me features! But, for long hair, side bangs are a must.

I tried out those full bangs, a la Zooey Deschanel, but they shortened my face too much and I realized that I had to have my arched eyebrows (also super important! angles angles angles!) in view, the full bangs hid them and looked unflattering.

Layers are also good, I've found that long, blunt hair on me pulls my face downwards. You'd think this would be a good thing, lengthening a round face, but it is just very unflattering and quite aging. So, I'll always have long layers & side bangs as long as I have long hair.

I hope this helps anyone with a face shape like mine! :flower:

Actually it really really does :flower:

My face is fairly oval but very small with soft features so I have the same problems that you do. A short blunt fringe suits me very well (I also have a high forehead) but it has to be short enough to show off my eyebrows which I then have to colour in to add shape (they're very blonde). Longer than my eyebrows and I'm instantly transformed into featureless frump. I've decided to grow out my fringe because it annoys me so much and have been wondering how to get around the "featureless face with huge forehead" issue but I think your suggestion of long layers and a side fringe will work very nicely. Now I just have to wait a few years for it all to grow out long enough before I can tell if it's worked or not :lol:

Oksana
October 4th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I have a square face shape. I have a very square forehead but a softer jaw.

I had blunt bangs/fringe with waist length hair for years and I think it really suited me despite what hairdressers advised me:

http://i46.tinypic.com/a1mfya.jpg

I was told that face framing layers would suit my face shape but they look awful and in the past I have also had cheekbone length bangs with a middle parting...it did not look good!

I am currently aiming for all one length with chin length long bangs/fringe on a side parting and I like how looks at the moment and I feel it softens my square forehead:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ykau68.jpg

spidermom
October 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I have a square shape when slim, round when fat. The worst style I ever tried was the bob. OMG! It couldn't have looked worse.

A good style for me is long. It gives length to my face. I have bangs now and think they look pretty good, too. They're kind of curved from shortest in the middle to longer at my temples. I can and do style them a variety of ways.

Loveisaverb
October 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Have also a round/oval face shape with more so oval length and round width.

So anything with hair length works for me, through anything above shoulder is doable but makes me look more rounder as does full blunt bangs. But I still do them anyway because I love them. :o Side swept bangs look the best on me and parted down the middle is alright makes again makes me look more round. Grown out bangs like to chin or whatever and have a side part, aren't that bad either.
Plus layers are good also, but can rock one length. so :shrug:

panffle
October 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I have an oval face shape, with blunt bangs and face-framing layers (which I don't like that much). I like my hair long, anything shorter was well... too short for me to find it flattering.

I've never really had "extreme" hairstyles so I don't really know if it'd look bad or not. I like my hair this way, despite of people telling me bangs/long hair would make my face look like this or like that... haha.

Elithia
October 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I have a rounded heart-shaped face, and anything short and blunt just doesn't do it for me at all. Short with lots of layers makes my head look huge (curls...) but is fairly flattering for my face shape. Side bangs are also okay, but too much of a pain.

I think long hair with a side part is most flattering on me. I can't pull it straight back or harshly -- I let it fall over the tops of my ears, even when I bun.

Lyytikka
October 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I have rectangularish-square face shape. Straight hair doesn't look good on me. But a slight volume and curly ends make it look good on me. For updos, it's always the more messy, the better for me. I think I look awkward in so neat updos. I came up with a solution to this: Tiny bangs a littler longer than chin length (do they called something else when they're as long as chin? hmm) They are super tiny yet still enough to keep my updos to be supper neat. :)

sunshine-locks
October 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I have a heart shaped face and forehead fringes don't look very good on me, neither do middle partings :P

Iolanthe13
October 4th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I think I have a slightly round oval, though people I've asked disagree, and I can't tell. A long fringe looked terrible on me, but that could be because I cut it myself. It made my nose look huge, which is never something I'd worried about before!

Long layers seem to suit me well, and I do feel confident with my hair up, too. Although face-framing layers are a pain, I think I need them to give my hair some volume when it's down. Oddly, the placement of the parting has a huge effect on how flattering my hair looks - it looks fine in the centre and okay far to the right, but the left has to be about 3/4 inch from the centre to look good. Really strange...

mzBANGBANG
October 4th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I have a heart shaped face and forehead fringes don't look very good on me, neither do middle partings :P

Me, too!

I think I look good with long side swept bangs, or an asymmetrical bob. Kind of funny, my favorite hairstyles ever where bobs, and now I am here :cheese:

I wish I could rock the blunt bangs look. I love the way they look when I put on wigs, but every time I cut blunt bangs into my own hair it looks like a disaster.

rtree721
October 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I have a heart shaped face with chubby cheeks and a kinda big forehead. I'm sure side bangs or face fringe would be more flattering for me... but those seem like too much maintenance.

Elithia
October 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I have a heart shaped face with chubby cheeks and a kinda big forehead. I'm sure side bangs or face fringe would be more flattering for me... but those seem like too much maintenance.

I did it for 3 years ... it WAS a pain. I cut the bangs as a reaction to my early-teens tendency to pull my hair straight back from my face or wear a center part which was just bad.

Well, turns out bangs really weren't necessary. I get about the same effect by making sure not to pull my hair back too tightly.

racrane
October 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I have a oval shape naturally, but it (obviously) gets rounded as I gain weight. Considering I just had a baby, my face is rounder now. Anyway, bobs look awful on me if I'm heavier but nice if I'm skinny. And I'm debating how bangs might look at this weight because although I love long hair, my face looks too severe all pulled back. Anyway, it's really interesting to read everyone's hair/face shape ideas.

biogirl87
October 11th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Having a heart-shaped face (I think), both long and shorter hair (neck-shoulder length) looks good on me. When I first got side-swept bangs and layers done, those looked good on me, but after getting blunt bangs out of my out grown side-swept bangs and more layers done, I started to miss my old thickness (that I had in my teens), so I want to grow both bangs and layers out. Plus then my parting won't be as noticeable.

Amygirl8
October 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM
My face shape was round when I was younger (I was a chubby child, still kinda am but my body's evening out now that I've hit puberty lol).
Right now it's oval-shaped. I currently do a side part with really face-framing side bangs on bother sides. I'm really considering blunt bangs though, my forehead's huge :P

ladonna
October 11th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I have squareish chubby face with very strong features, and soft hairsyle suits me. So my hair long and my bang/fringe is currently just past chin and I curl it to soften my features.

Chimom79
October 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I have a really round (and fat) face. I was trying to grow out my bangs until a few days ago when I gave up and trimmed them again. I think with my face so round that no bangs just is not a good look for me. Oh well. I actually think, as far as length goes, that hair a tiny bit past shoulders looks best on me, but I don't care, I love loooong hair so I'm still growing it. :grin:

teela1978
October 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Mine is fairly oval. My hairline is a bit squared off but it seems to still fit oval overall. I've never gone shorter than chin, but it looked very nice in a blunt bob at that length. Honestly I've liked my hair at pretty much every length but apl for some reason (just not a good length period imho). I look good with bangs but hate to loose the thickness and I can't really stand the upkeep.

I like it long best :)

spirals
October 12th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I have an oval face, so any cut is supposed to look good. But my profile makes me look like Bono. I don't know what cut I should have.

frogs
October 23rd, 2012, 02:26 PM
its so fun to read everyones face-shapes and what they think suits it/doesnt suit it! Im sorry i havent been posting here in a while, LHC had been down most of the time i tried to get in...

kidari
October 23rd, 2012, 02:45 PM
I think I am a mix between a round/oval/square shape with big cheeks and unfortunately I do not have extremely symmetrical, very feminine elven features so I will never dare try a pixie cut since I know I could never pull it off. I don't look the best in a short cut but I did really enjoy my chin length shaggy layered bob for a couple years. I look best either chin length or at least APL but when it's longer I have to have long soft bangs and tons of layers. I need height around the crown of my head but not on the sides really. I need layers to soften and define my jawline but length to draw the eye downwards. Blunt bangs are horrible and one length long hair is horrible for me. My features are not really symmetrical so an off-center part with my long bangs flipped out away from my face and my layered hair styled in a loose wave is the most flattering look on BSLish hair.

kdaniels8811
October 23rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
My face is oval with a really high forehead - like Tyra Banks but bangs or layers in my face annoy the heck out of me. I have always worn my hair long, one time I cut it so I had some volume around my temples which is flattering but I was miserable until my hair was long enough to bun. So while I don't like the pulled back look, I know how I react to bangs. I have been searching pictures to find something I like the looks of but have not been successful. Oh well, just let it hang as I have been doing. Fun to read everyones responses!

Lindseyh
October 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
I have an oval face with a narrow jaw. Anything shorter than chin length accentuates the longness of my face and doesn't look flattering. I look best with a chin length, or just past chin length bob. Any longer than that, and I really need face framing layers to add dimension. Long chin length fringe looks best, short fringe is not at all flattering. It makes my forehead look wide and out of proportion to the rest of my face.

Having said that, my hair is currently halfway between APL and BSL without any fringe. I don't like the way it looks in an updo. It's too severe and doesn't suit my face. Laziness however, is keeping me from cutting a fringe. With my whirls, it would need washed and styled every day. Not really conducive to the benign neglect that I'm practicing now, which involves stretching washes, wearing it up, and forgetting about it.

This is the trouble I have. Im right at BSL, got bangs cut and then decided to "work" on them myself. That was 3 wks ago; they'll be fixable soon. I'll be listening for ideas on this.

Kristin
October 23rd, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have a heart-shaped face. I look pretty terrible without layers. Right now, I have long layers from about apl to past waist with jaw-length grown-out bangs. It flatters my face okay. One of my favorite cuts is a long shag because it creates more angles around my face.

AMD
October 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
I have an oval top half of the face with a slightly stronger more square jaw. Hairstyles That are above my shoulders, or that have blunt/eyebrow (or above) length bangs make my face look super square. Longer styles (bsl or more) tend to just hang there if I dont have those long, just below the jaw, side-swept bangs there to add some shape and volume. Also, volume is key to everything. My face does not work well with flat hair.

ludwig20
October 23rd, 2012, 11:31 PM
I have a round face which is supposedly hard to manage. The consensus appears to be that my face shape should avoid short blunt cuts, middle parting, and bangs. lol I've broken all these rules before though.

SnowWhite
October 24th, 2012, 12:23 AM
My face shape is not oval or oblong, it's just a diamond/heart with a huge forehead.
I've got a narrow but high forehead, wide temples and cheekbones and a narrow chin...

I wore bangs the biggest part of my life to cover up my high forehead. Blunt bangs or side swept bangs...
But I look definitely better without so I'm growing them out!

I had a bob haircut which suited me so good! Now I'm growing it...
Face framing layers are a no no to me. They distract the attention from my face and since my hair is quite coarse, the layers flip to every side...

Ellethwyn
November 13th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I have a hard time determining what shape my face is. Can someone tell me what shape my face is?
I think it's kind of oval. I had bangs and short bob haircut for many, many years. Looking back, i don't think it was a very flattering hairstyle for my face shape. I am happiest with my current hair style which is one length and a slight side part, usually.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j229/C-T-F_2006/884fd1d7-a455-4bf3-bb71-cb6fb7593989_zpsqfbvqqoi.jpg

Swan Maiden
November 13th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Ellethwyn, I think your face is a mix between square and oval. But I must say you have absolutely stunning cheeckbones. Your current hair style suits you well.

Ellethwyn
November 13th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Ellethwyn, I think your face is a mix between square and oval. But I must say you have absolutely stunning cheeckbones. Your current hair style suits you well.

Thank you! :o

I think you're right, between square and oval.

Arctic
November 14th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Maybe diamond shape? Or diamon-square combination? It's hard to see the shape of your forehead from the photo. For my eye your face appears longer than oval. Your cheekbones are gorgeous! With your cheeks, intensive eyes and beautiful brows, the focus is in the upper-middle of your face. I'd like to see you pulling your hair back a bit, so you wouldn't be hiding these feautures! I bet you have a nice smile too :)

Ellethwyn
November 15th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Maybe diamond shape? Or diamon-square combination? It's hard to see the shape of your forehead from the photo. For my eye your face appears longer than oval. Your cheekbones are gorgeous! With your cheeks, intensive eyes and beautiful brows, the focus is in the upper-middle of your face. I'd like to see you pulling your hair back a bit, so you wouldn't be hiding these feautures! I bet you have a nice smile too :)

Thank you! I'm flattered you also like my cheekbones! I'm hoping to get some flexi 8's for Christmas and hope they make it easier to have my hair pulled back. I suck at braiding and always get hair ties and clips tangled in my hair. I'm hopeful flexi 8's will be awesome.
I can see diamond shape/square...my face shape is hard to classify, i think. It is longer than oval, i think.