PDA

View Full Version : Wahhhh, I broke the terminal length converter :(

blondecat
August 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Or at least it doesn't appear to be working for me.

I did the hairbands all done the pony tail, checked the circumference.

And it says I should be terminal at about bra strap , but, Im already at waist, a good 12 inches longer.
The only explaination is the converter doesn't take into account seriously fine thin hair.

Oh, well, Im off to the great grand land of the Unknown, [hair journey] and I think I like it :) No, I know I love it <<grining>>

Curlsgirl
August 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Or at least it doesn't appear to be working for me.

I did the hairbands all done the pony tail, checked the circumference.

And it says I should be terminal at about bra strap , but, Im already at waist, a good 12 inches longer.
The only explaination is the converter doesn't take into account seriously fine thin hair.

Oh, well, Im off to the great grand land of the Unknown, [hair journey] and I think I like it :) No, I know I love it <<grining>>
Yayyyyyyyyyyyy good for you!!!:cheese:

plainjanegirl
August 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Where can I fin this converter method? Could you please post a link?

blondecat
August 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
TY, lol, I have a nice Red Wine to go with that nice peice of Cheese, care for some ?

blondecat
August 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Where can I fin this converter method? Could you please post a link?

This one :

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=75

burns_erin
August 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM
"Your growth potential is 48.65 inches. "

Whoohoo, since i am only trying to reach to classic (which I have done before) there should not be a problem for me.

blondecat
August 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yesssssssss, You rock ! [hands you some Red Wine and Cheese]

EmmaRose
August 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
My growth potential was 185.19 in. :confused: I guess I better not try to reach terminal length, huh?

Saranne772
August 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Well, mine came out as 79.71 inches. As my goal is 60 Im happy with that. However I rounded up the shed hairs (very low shed rate) so maybe longer!!

Meli
August 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
"Your growth potential is 93.75 inches." I suppose I have to get something firm to stand on while combing, then, so my hair doesn't get tangled up in dust bunnies on the floor... :p But as I don't know neither how many hairs I have on my head, nor the exact shed rate or even my average growth rate, this kind of calculations don't make much sense. Some more realistic calculations I have made, though, is from measurements of individual hairs from when my hair was longer. This doesn't give any clue of my true terminal length either, but it does give a hint that I can grow my hair longer than it has been before. I'm almost certain I can reach midb*tt, and probably classic or at least very close. The only way to know for sure is to grow and see when it stops.

I have not tried the method of measuring taper - it would not make any sense at all as my hair tapers at different rates at different lengths because of how much breakage I have had in the past.

Slug Yoga
August 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
What do they mean by "Estimate how many hairs you are growing each day," on that off-site terminal length calculator? I got 277.78 inches. That would rule. It would be like a fairy tale. Not a "fairytale ends" or "happy princess" tale, but one of those cautionary tales, where the princess wishes her hair would grow at some obscene rate and they end up having to go after it with a lawn mower (or uh, a fairy tale equivalent) and fill every stable and outbuilding in the kingdom with chopped hair.

truepeacenik
August 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
that same offsite gave me .9 inches.
I do not believe that, as I have about 43 inches right now.

dorothea-brooke
August 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I've given up on those calculators :(

The problem is, even a small difference in # of hairs on head, # of hairs shed, etc., translates into a huuuuge difference in terminal length. So unless you're exact in all your initial values (and who on earth can be?), you're not going to get anything like an accurate assessment.

But hey, isn't it more fun to just let it grow and see what happens anyway? :flower:

Periwinkle
August 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
'Your growth potential is 185.19 inches.'

I have a feeling I estimated how many hairs I lose rather wrongly, hehe.

Isilme
August 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Alright, I'm fine with this: Your growth potential is 1179.94 inches. But we'll see how far I go;)

flapjack
August 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hahahaha, my potential growth is 165 inches. We will see how that goes.

Shanarana
August 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I just did it with these results: Your growth potential is 980.39 inches. :p LOL, yeah, that'll happen.

AshleyP
August 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hmm, 15 inches in that offsite. I'm past that already.

jeannie
August 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I just did the off site calculation and got: Your growth potential is 75.95 inches.

Since my ultimate goal is 52 inches or about knee length on me. I'm more than happy about that figure. I'm about at BSL now so I'm looking forward to my future length.

Jeannie :)

Kiraela
August 11th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Lesse : 27.3" ? I think not! Either they fail, or I shed less than I thought. Probably both.

Hatsumomo
August 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM
"Your growth potential is 155.75 inches. "

Yeah it's broken...

berr
August 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
It said my terminal length would be 8". I've a lot more length than 8" to past my tailbone where it ends. Somthing ain't right. ;)

socks
August 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM
That calculator usually gives me a number in the 130's, even when I try to punch in slightly different numbers. 130-something isn't entirely improbable, though, since my hair is already about half that and my growth rate is actually speeding up, so I know I can't be anywhere near terminal. As long as you take it into account that the calculator gives potential terminal length, rather than what your actual terminal length would be with breakage/trims, a lot of the numbers that it spits out are pretty reasonable.

I haven't tried calculating my terminal length using taper, though. I haven't trimmed my hair in many, many years and I have fairytail ends that thin out to nothing, so while my hair is still growing at a good rate, that method of calculating terminal length would say that I'm at terminal length already. It might work a bit better for some people than the other terminal calculator, though, especially if they've only recently begun their journey to long hair and are less aware of their growth/shed rates or if they inflict a lot of damage upon their hair wiht heat and chemicals.

Rae~
August 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Just double check that when you put in the "number of hairs you are growing" figure, that you omit the comma - ie 100000 and not 100,000. I got a very low number when I made that error. :)

jojo
August 12th, 2008, 01:33 AM
mine is only 51 inches!

blondecat
August 12th, 2008, 03:29 AM
OP here:

like I said, I broke it, I'm sooo sorry, I didn't mean to :/

Celtica
August 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
OP here:

like I said, I broke it, I'm sooo sorry, I didn't mean to :/

So you did! Apparently my terminal length was at 27.5in...someone forgot to forward the memo to my hair, because it's still going:D