PDA

View Full Version : I want the ends of my hair colored like this...HELP!!! :P

longhairedlady
October 4th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I dont color my hair, but for some reason I keep drooling over this pic! I am feeling so blah and bummed and everytime I see this pic it makes me all happy!! I really want to do this!

I dont know anything about coloring hair, and wouldnt know even what to buy or anything. I would prefer to attempt this myself. My hair is dark brown/black and isnt colored.

I am usually concerned about my hair health but I am accepting of this even if I have a little damage to the ends, I can just cut it off if its too damaged down the road.

So can anyone help me with this and talk me through it? I dont know jack about where to begin!

Here is the pic of what I want:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/tgearjammer/tumblr_m7qsh0fysE1qbv99ro2_500.jpg

melusine963
October 4th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I could be wrong, but it looks like you could reproduce these colours using chalk. Check out these two threads:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=94621
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=94091

Avital88
October 4th, 2012, 01:19 AM
i tried this before, and i have experience with coloring and its so hard to achieve,,
I'm affraid you will not be satisfied with it/color/texture and end up with fried ends...
In case you really want it, i would go to a proffesional, as it needs bleaching and multiple colors done..
Good luck

Loveisaverb
October 4th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Why not use semi-permanent hair dye Manic Panic, it comes in a range of very vivid colors and doesn't damage your hair. Plus it shouldn't be that hard to only apply to the ends of your hair and if you didn't like it or didn't want a long lasting effect it would eventually wash out.

IndigoOptimist
October 4th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Why not use semi-permanent hair dye Manic Panic, it comes in a range of very vivid colors and doesn't damage your hair. Plus it shouldn't be that hard to only apply to the ends of your hair and if you didn't like it or didn't want a long lasting effect it would eventually wash out.

I agree with this, I loooove Manic Panic!! However I don't know how well some colours would show up on your darker hair. I've used MP on both bleached and natural hair and when I used it on my natural colour I found the results a lot less vivid (I have mousey blonde hair).
It's worth a try though, seeing as you can't really do much wrong as they don't use harsh chemicals and are semi-permanent :) Good thing to start out with if you have no experience with dyes ;)

Ambystoma
October 4th, 2012, 03:33 AM
I think, like melusine963 that this is the result of chalking. Apparently it can be quite drying, but it's certainly better than using bleach then Manic Panic/ Fudge. It's very pretty!

cathair
October 4th, 2012, 03:52 AM
My hair is that dark and I think it is possible you could get those colours with Directions dye, without bleach. I love blue hair have played with it a lot. The blue you might have to clingfilm an leave on for a good few hours, but I think the colour is achievable. However after one of two washes it would probably look more grey or green, it would need a lot of upkeep. The purply/pinky/redy bits would be a lot easier to keep up and probably easier to get brighter.

It would really highlight any split ends though, as even tiny splits will come out much brighter than the main part of the hair. It will probably also dry out the ends quite a lot, even with non-permament dye, so it's probably not going to help growth, you might have to maintain length. I would not try Special Effects blue, it's horrifically drying.

I like the idea of the chalk, I couldn't handle the mess though. Even Directions dye leaves powderness on clothes and pillows which is bad enough, I think chalk would drive me nuts. Have been wondering if you could make a chalk dry shampoo while I was reading it though!

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I don't know unless its bleached then dyed. I'd say manic panic would be good if its none bleached.

UltraBella
October 5th, 2012, 12:02 AM
We've done this in my salon several times. The ends are bleached, not to an extreme, you don't want them completely stripped of pigment. Then the stylist thoroughly dries the hair, sections it and uses a brush on color method. Each section is placed on a foil, the purple would be brushed on first, followed by the blue. You want one color to begin where the previous color ends but a tiny bit of overlap is no big deal and the colors blend just fine. Then the foil is gently folded to keep the section off the rest of the hair. Gently is the key here, if you flatten or smash the foils the colors will bleed together.
These colors typically fade fairly quickly and need to be redone frequently - but it's so gorgeous !

kaydana
October 5th, 2012, 12:17 AM
You'll need coconut oil, bleach, and manic panic/directions in lilac and dark blue shades.

Put coconut oil on the ends before bleaching to mitigate bleach damage.

Once the ends (only where you want to colour) are bleached, apply the lighter colour. It's easiest to apply it to the whole of the ends rather than just where you want it. Wash that out as normal, then apply the darker colour to the very ends.

If you're doing it yourself, don't even try to get a straight line with the colour, it won't look right. Work with small sections and colour roughly the same amount on each.

jessa
October 14th, 2012, 11:11 PM
you could also consider finding some clip in extensions to get this effect? that way you wont have to bleach and colour your own ends.