PDA

View Full Version : The under-bun sag.

RubySlippers
October 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM
I have a saggy bit under my bun.

(say that off the LHC!)

No matter what bun I do, or how I hold it up, how tight or loose, I have a bit that sags and sticks out a bit. The bun can be perfect, but the space between bun and neck is always a bit of a mess!

It's the hair coming up from the very point of my nape and, short of bobby pinning it to death (and I hate bobby pins) I don't know how to get rid of it!

Has anyone successfully tackled this problem?

MeowScat
October 2nd, 2012, 03:16 AM
I get this every single time I wear any bun on the back of my head, too.

The only way I know how to get rid of it is to wear the bun on top of my head.

I hope someone has a better remedy! I'll be watching this thread, great idea asking this question!

melusine963
October 2nd, 2012, 03:44 AM
I also have a sag, but it's not very noticeable. It sometimes gets a little bigger as the day progresses and my bun slips down the back of my head a little, but it's still pretty discreet. Maybe it helps that I don't have particularly sleek or shiny hair, so a little bulge is less notieable than it might otherwise be.

PinkyCat
October 2nd, 2012, 04:11 AM
This is precisely why I use a no-damage elastic to pony my hair before buns. I don't make it too tight - just two loops around, and slide my stick under it for a very secure hold. Not for everyone I guess, but that's how I fix it. :)

auburntressed
October 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
Yup, I have issues with things like that. In general, the back of my head is apparently shaped weirdly or my hair is just too thick in that spot for it to fit the shape of my head. It doesn't matter what style I do, there is always some kind of something going on back there. I just deal with it and make it part of the look. There is no way to "fix" it that I know.

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
I use elastics before I bun and I don't have the saggy under bun issue.

Natalia
October 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
have you tried twisting it? i find buns that i start with a twist or to dont sag as much. If you want to get fancy you can upside down braid that under layer just a bit to keep it snug.

Madora
October 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Never have any sagging because I section my buns for braiding.

LisaB234
October 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM
Have you tried looking up at the ceiling when you make the bun?

SheaLynne
October 3rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Agreed with LisaB234....look up while you make the bun and it tightens up the "slack" in that under-bun area. It's easier said than done, but worth the effort.

I also agree that the twisting helps, and Madora's sectioning really does work, too.

All great tips!

spirals
October 3rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
I think the "sag" makes it look loose, full, and romantic.

MORE
October 13th, 2012, 12:45 AM
I think the "sag" makes it look loose, full, and romantic.

Totally agree! I think it looks really pretty. I sometimes "enhance" my sag by making my bun real loose high upon my head. Gives me a bit softer look.

LadyTheta
October 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Agreed with LisaB234....look up while you make the bun and it tightens up the "slack" in that under-bun area. It's easier said than done, but worth the effort.

I also agree that the twisting helps, and Madora's sectioning really does work, too.

All great tips!

Yes, all excllent tips! Thanks!

LadyTheta
October 13th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Totally agree! I think it looks really pretty. I sometimes "enhance" my sag by making my bun real loose high upon my head. Gives me a bit softer look.

Yes. This! A softer, sexier, more romantic look perhaps sometimes. :p

Theta ;)

MORE
October 13th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Yes. This! A softer, sexier, more romantic look perhaps sometimes. :p

Theta ;)

Exactly!:) It looks really precious and romantic to me. ;)

Maybe
October 13th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Great thread RubySluppers. I am not a fan of the sag either.

Wanders iff looking at the ceiling and wondering how she is going to do a bun like that...

flip-flop
October 13th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm with those who love the sag, I don't really get any, I have to make a conscious effort to have even a little. Not sure if it's my method or not, but I also twist my hair (as I've seen suggested) for pretty much every bun and then use either a hair stick or a few bobby pins to hold it.

MrsGuther
October 13th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Bobby pins and hairspray! Lol.

Ocelan
October 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I have saggy buns too! (Sorry, couldn't help it...)

I don't really mind the sag since my look may otherwise be too harsh. I don't often do messy buns and the sag helps a bit to have something to make it look less "librarian". When I try to do an elegant finished style it does bother me though and I really don't seem to be able to make it go away completely, not even with bobby pins. I'll have to try the looking up trick next time. :)

Dorothy
October 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I love it, myself.

In fact, I wish I could achieve it all the way around, in front and on the sides my buns look severe, but my hair is not at all curly, and there's really not that much of it, so I don't really have enough hair to have pouf all around.

The only way I've ever been able to achieve anything of the sort is to do a geisha style bun, where you take a small circle at the top of your head and elastic and bun it, and then drape the front, sides, and back separately, attaching each section to the top knot. Very hard on the hair in that circle, though, as everything hangs from it, which is why older geisha lose the hair in that circle.

jasper
October 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I usually wear my bun low, in the sag zone. No problem there.

The other zone of sagging buns. . . I don't know what to do about mine!

gthlvrmx
October 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
oh the sag XD i have no tips at all and i wouldnt suggest pulling tighter :P but i did find more relief when i did braided buns instead actually, so i have a tip :P nvm XD

biogirl87
October 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I get sagging if I make my buns loose and try to get them to stay close to the crown of my head.

jojo
October 16th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Tip your head slightly back whilst bunning, it prevents all sagging! So the more upright your head is, the more sag will occur.

sunshine-locks
October 16th, 2012, 03:42 AM
When I do my twist buns ( those amateur ones where you twist and tie), sometimes I'll lie down on my bed with my head over the edge and do it like that, and I never get bun sag :)

FrannyG
October 16th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I agree with the head facing the ceiling method. Conversely, for a loose, romantic bun, I like to hold my head upside down as I brush my hair and grab it into the "ponytail" that I will make the bun with. I rarely use elastics pre-bunning, and I hate having to use hairspray or bobbly pins.

The simpler the better, for me.

DarleneH
October 16th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I like the fluff under the bun, but I hate the tight flatness that happens on top. Basically as the weight of the bun slides a little down during the day, the hair on top is pulled flat and severe. That's the reason I don't wear buns as much as most of you seem to do.