PDA

View Full Version : Dress Code Requires Styled hair

sweetestpoison
October 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Yeahhhh i am sure that there are some people on the forum who have a dress code to comply with at work or school. Well i am starting at the paul mitchell beauty school soon and the dress code there also requires styled hair, buns are acceptable though frowned upon but only if sleekly styled and ponytails are a complete no no as well as "lazy" buns and whatnot. Anybody have suggestions? Are there any stylists on the forum who had to sacrifice hair for their professional appearance? Also since i am going to be a stylist and be in school i'd imagine there will be some people testing out their skills on me. Should i just say bye bye to my waist length hair? Is it possible to have my long hair but style it every day? Hmmm....

CurlyCap
October 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
Can you become the updo queen? When you think about it, a good blowdry and style can take up to 30min and some wicked pincurl updos can be done in 30min as well.

It'll require a lot of planning though. You'll have to decided whether that's worth it for you.

dulce
October 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
Is a french braid ok?How about a french twist?

Angelistarr
October 1st, 2012, 10:13 PM
Braiding might be a good way to work into buns as part of updos. Twists as well.

melusine963
October 2nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
I think it would be a shame to give up on your long hair without a fight. There are so many tutorials out there for great updos that would fit your requirements and not take too long to create either. One example:

Torrin Paige's Roped Vortex Bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DF5HXky3B8
My hair is on the thin side, so I can only make two braids instead of three, but once I'd made it once or twice the whole style only takes me ten minutes to create, using either rope braids or normal braids. The resulting bun has a much smaller diameter than Torrin's. Good luck!

auburntressed
October 2nd, 2012, 02:07 AM
My suggestion is learn braids, styles, updos, and be a knock out! Maybe buns are "frowned upon," because they don't see buns that are cool or held with pretty forks and hairsticks. When they say, "messy buns," aren't allowed, my mental image is that look that you get when you tie up a pony with a scrunchie, and then you only bring the ponytail partway through on the last pass. Or you twist is around or whatever. In other words - not a true bun.

Try some crown braids, milkmaid braids, ect. If you find a way to keep changing your hair up every day with a new, intricate look, I don't think they will frown upon an elaborate bun, either.

And yeah, people will pressure you insanely to experiment on your hair, but it is YOUR HAIR. You are not required to allow your hair to be butchered to earn your certificate. If you don't want to have something done to you, then REFUSE and stick to your guns no matter how bad they try to make you feel. Setting boundaries and sticking to them can be one of the hardest things anyone learns to do, but it is also the most important.

Natalia
October 2nd, 2012, 02:12 AM
As others have said maybe they havent seen a decent bun yet! A high sock bun with a braid wrapped around it would be very audrey chic to me and quick to do.

alyanna
October 2nd, 2012, 02:32 AM
I second what others have already suggested: seeing as braids are trendy these days, and since you are training to style hair, you could practice your braiding skills and experiment with cool braided styles every day. You might end up with a very original look that would help you stand out from the crowd.

Arya
October 2nd, 2012, 03:19 AM
Very sleepy, so I'm just going to post a few ideas with no grammar.

Watch lots of lillith moon videos! Sock buns are definitely in fashion now, as are pin curls. If your waist length hair is in tight curls, it will appear shorter. Faux french rolls for long hair with a ficcare! You could also leave your hair out, and just do fun things with the front pieces, like braiding the front pieces or rolling them.

Helen W
October 2nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
Don't ever let a job dictate who you are and what you want. How about lace braids, fishtail plaits these can be really elegant. I've been doing a combo of lace braids one either side or one snaking round and a smooth sock bun, looks really complicated but I can do it in 15 mins. You never know you might start new trend! It's always better to be you than just a sheep following everyone else!

CJCHair-stylist
October 2nd, 2012, 04:11 AM
I second what the girls are saying. Lots of beautiful updos. When I started my Cosmetology training I really didn`t want any permanent hair colouring (opting for semi-permanents instead) done because my hair is quite fine and breaks easily. I didn`t do any colouring for my entire training despite the pressure from Lecturers and other students. A fellow student of mine who came in with hip-length hair had hers` cut to just above waist because she had very ratty horrible ends. I played with her hair for hours creating beautiful styles and braids, it was the best practise I ever had. She only had her hair cut that once and it was beautiful, healthy and shiny despite regular bouts of monthly highlighting. She was very good about conditioning treatments at home.

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
I'd ask for a style guideline from an instructor. Then make it hair friendly.

Shell
October 3rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Do you have bangs or face-framing layers? If so, you could bun or braid, and then curl the other bits?

akilina
October 3rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
I can speak from experience a little bit.
All thru out school there was no real hair dress code, but I did have my hair heat styled almost every single day of the week. My friends and I would do eachothers to kill time. I ended up chopping from almost bsl, to collar bone because of all of it. :/
I will say though, that there SHOULD have been a "hair code" at my school because some of those girls were seriously soooo lazy about everything.

As for work, there was a big pressure at my first job for me to style my hair. The woman I worked for was worse than Hitler, and the most judgmental being I have ever encountered in my whole entire life yet.
My hair is still suffering. The last 4 to 6 inches are SOOO thin. After a certain point, or days she did not work, I would wear my hair up in a tiny tiny little cinnabun with a few small clips in it. I also wore lots of bows in my hair.

The only way I saved my hair was just to wear it up in nice clips with cute hair bows or flowers.

Way not what you were asking though, lol got off track sharing the experience. I think you should play around with updos, and test your limits A LOT.
I found in school the only way I could truly feel things out was to just push their limits a little bit.

Maybe you could dress up a side braid by making it very lose, and pulling the braided hair apart a little (gently, I know that sounds evil to the hair but its really not) and possibly incorporate very pretty hair toys, or flowers, or pretty silky bows.
It is all what suits your personality though...you might not like flowers or bows.
I really love the idea of fishtail braids, or french twists, and possibly incorporate a few pin curls?? Luckily you have long hair, and have many options.
Maybe a blow out would not be horrible once or twice a week, on a low heat setting, and with proper technique.

kidari
October 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
I agree with the braided updos. Check out the "french fishtail seashell bun"!! I wish I had no layers so I can do that one. I have long layers and long bangs so I do heat-free curls. If you have no layers and really healthy long hair I would avoid wearing it down if I were you, because people are going to be tempted to cut it/layer it/heatstyle it. Always keep it up so nobody will ask you to do any of those things if you don't want to do them.

MrsGuther
October 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Try pin curls! They don't take that long once you get the hang of them. :)

truepeacenik
October 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM

This. Find out what their specifications are, then make your style knowledge work for you.

I've mentioned before that one of my contract clients is a spa. There are cosmotologists on staff. And they wear tired, messy or simply pulled back styles day in, day out.
Make up is a little heavy but they do weddings where excess seems to be the rule.

Granted, my idea of "done" is a bun with spin pins, but I'm an MT, not a nail tech or stylist.
My hair has to be out of the way. Plus, I don't want my lotions in it.

AcornMystic
October 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
You know.. there was a girl who was apprenticing when I had my hair done wayyy back when. She sat and watched what the gal was doing like a hawk to learn everything. I would gauge her hair was about waist length. She had the most beautiful fish-tail braid. Now at the time I didn't know what the heck it was because I wasn't up to snuff on the names of all these styles circulating around the long hair community (I'm still not.. bleh). Very chic looking and you just wanted to stare at the fairly alluring weavework. Braids can accomplish what all these damaging items can, because what you are trying to prove is that you have skills. If someone wants a fancy updo for a wedding or for graduation, you will be who they turn to. You have the long hair. I'd trust someone with long hair with intricate styles before I'd trust someone with hair that smells like nail polish remover and is screaming under a layer of cones to keep it 'looking' healthy. Stylists know how to damage your hair, that's about it, unless you can find hair friendly ones.

I wish you the best with your beauty schooling and please don't become one of the typical stylists that long hairs tend to avoid. I look at stylists hair and certain hair makes me a little leary of what they'd do to mind if they got their hands on it. *shudders*

Loviatar
October 4th, 2012, 05:31 PM

This.

One specific style that comes to mind is the braided beehive bun. I bet you have enough hair to do one.

If not - nothing stopping you using fake hair to add to your 'styles'. Not extensions per se, but fake braids or pieces, or bright flashes of colour that you can unclip when you get home.

LaLaBella
October 4th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Here is a nice one for you to try. I plan on doing this when my hair finally hits bsl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHKVMIeplOk&feature=results_video

Vrindi
October 11th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I agree with everyone on the braids and the updos. There is NO reason you should change your hair to suit someone else's preferences, especially when you're going to school to learn about hairstyling. You have every right to wear your hair the way you like, and to be unique. It will also help you when it comes to understanding and listening to clients.

I've recently started doing fancier buns and braids, now that my hair is creeping past waist. A braided Chinese bun is beautiful, complicated-looking (yet easy to do), and hair sticks are just elegant and amazing. No one could frown on something so cool. Here's a simple tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n98D0j8Ypfg

I've also been haunting the be-ribboned hairstyle threads. A braided bun with ribbons is incredible, or even just braids with ribbons. Try silk flowers too. Hair forks and sticks are the kind of things that only long-haired people can really get away with, so take advantage! Your "style," should they get on you about it, is healthy and luxurious. No need to cut and dye unless YOU really want to. :)

watermelon
October 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I went to Paul Mitchell. Eventually everyone started wearing their hair messily done, not done at all, in buns, ponytails, pigtails, etc. I usually just wore my hair air-dried, down, in a side braid, or in a bun. Sometimes I came to school with it still wet with some salt-water texturizer in it. No one ever said anything. Don't worry about it too much, but the things you learn about and utilize in long hair care completely goes against the grain of what cosmetology practices are all about. Most girls that I went to school with there fried their hair consistently with bleach, multiple colorings, daily use of irons, curlers, and gobs upon gobs of hairspray.