PDA

View Full Version : My 2 year progress! (Pics heavy)

Vampyria
October 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Around this time 2 years ago I decided to stop dyeing my hair and started using natural cosmetics and coconut oil for my hair.:) I also started to air dry and stopped straightening. I even sold my flat iron.
I think that the friend of my ex inspired me to do that, because she had thick, healthy looking, waist length virgin hair.

Before that I dyed my hair every months, first from black to yellow, then from almost all possible shades of red to black-violet and then back to pretty light red with Brilliance Luminance from Schwarzkopf (really aggressive dye meant to dye dark hair to really bright shades without bleaching.) I've also straighten it every week without protection.

My hair looked transparent, fried, split with horrible taper, because the ends were constantly breaking off. It was pretty long for my perception then (past BSL), but looked horrible and didn't even feel long, because the ends were so thin. I was also fed up with the unnatural red color.

This is the color I started with (and pretty much straightened hair):
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/Lilith513/CopyofIMG_1371.jpg?t=1349109675

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/Lilith513/Copyof249_4905.jpg?t=1349109660

A bit later, summer of 2011 I think.
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/Lilith513/august-1-1.jpg?t=1349108917

It's around 4 inches shorter from the starting length in that picture (I was micro trimming), so the hemline looked at least a bit blunt. I've also tried to get rid of the red with brown dye and then with Lush henna (brun), so it looked a bit more brownish, but still red.

Coconut oil helped a lot to prevent splits and breaking, so my hair got for about 80% better, but it was still kind of straw like and still prone to breaking.

I also started taking supplements and my thickness increased a lot, but I've experienced shedding twice since then (one still happening), so after all the gained thickness that was around 3.5 to 3,75 inches without bangs, my ponytail now has 3 inches of circumference.

I still have around 2 inches of the dye to grow out.

This was my hair when I joined the LHC:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10059&pictureid=129589

And my hair now:
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/Lilith513/dsc_8721_5800g3.jpg?t=1349109533 (natural light)

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/Lilith513/DSC_8681_57622.jpg?t=1349109555 (with flash)

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/Lilith513/DSC_8664_5746bn.jpg?t=1349109638

The reddish tone I have now is from two henna/henna and cassia glosses.
The texture changed a lot, I even thought that my hair stopped being wavy, because it looks like 1c or 1c/2a most of the time. It's not that frizzy anymore, so I never even think about straightening (well maybe when I would like to see how long it would look when stretched.) ;)

I had to cut almost all of the dye off to get the normal texture, thickness and stop the breaking, so I have no length progress to show. But the ends are a lot thicker, (all though still a bit thinner than I would like).

Tota
October 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Wow! Your hair looks so healthy, thick and shiny now! And your natural hair colour is beautiful. Great progress, congrats and cestitke ;) :flower:

starry
October 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
amazing! I just did a big chop to a long pixie- its so worth cutting it- you can feel the difference!! your hair looks so lovely in the last pic.

lapushka
October 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
It looks healthy and thick now. Something to be proud of! :)

lunalocks
October 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM
beautiful and so healthy!

rock007junkie
October 1st, 2012, 07:23 PM
Looks much healthier!

melusine963
October 2nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
Well done! It must be nice finally having a clean slate to work with, as far as your hair goes. It looks fantastic.

Kayleigh
October 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Amazing! It looks so thick now. Great job ;)

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Your natural color is wonderful.

princess007
October 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Your hair looks just like mine! Same length, same wave, same color. I cut mine to a pixie last year because it was COMPLETELY fried. Now I stay away from flat iron and bleaches and it is so much better.

Oksana
October 4th, 2012, 05:25 AM
The big chop was well worth it, you hair looks lovely and thick and healthy. If I had the cuts I would cut 4 inches of mine off!

pixiepaws
October 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
wow , your hair colour is very similar to mine I just wanted to say what amazing hair you have. Its amazing how different dying and colouring makes to the thickness and texture of the hair:)

blaketob
October 4th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Your hair looks so shiny now! Congrats!

MaryO
October 4th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Very nice! Well done!

Vampyria
October 18th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Thank you all for your lovely comments! :flower: I'm really glad I choose health of my hair over dye. :) I just have to fix the shedding problem now.:pray:

spookyghost
October 18th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Your hair is beautiful-great job taking such good care of it. Im in that process right now. Even though I wish I was brave enough to cut four inces off, which Im not, I really dont think it would make a difference for me. I would have to cut my hair about at the top of my ears to get all the damage out. Thank goodness for the curly girl method! Im slightly wavy, I only have two S curls, and cg has changed the way I do my hair. I have stopped all bleach, color, and heat! And before cg my air-dried hair could have given you nightmares if you saw it and now it actually looks healthy. Its not, dont get me wrong, but it looks healthy-air dried! And that is huge for someone who is trying to grow out bleach, heat, and color damaged hair!

Anyways, I am in the middle of a big shed myself. My first! Well I have always shedded more than average-imo-but since about March its been double that. My hair is fine already and now you can see some scalp depending on how my hair is laying. Actually I had two spots about an inch up from both my temples that didnt really have any hair at all. But I have been doing black tea rinses and my hair is growing back in those spots and my shedding has decreased alot. Sometimes there is actually no hair in the drain at all-sometimes not all the time. I also have been oiling my scalp with Mira hair oil every other night. And on the nights I dont oil, I spray on my scalp black tea with rosemary and sage eos. I use to rinse my whole head but the spray bottle is easier and less messy and its very drying. If you decide to try it read up on it first because you will need a deep moisturizing conditioner to combat the drying affect. When I spray it just on my scalp I will do the cg the next day and thats all I have to do. My hair is fine.

Good luck. I know how bad shedding sucks and I just wanted to share something that is working for me just in case it may work for you! Plus its cheap! The tea rinse is NOT the Mira hair oil!

Vampyria
October 19th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Thank you so much for sharing! I'm seeing a dermatologist in April (can't get there sooner without paying), so I'm willing to try almost everything that might help in the meantime.

I haven't heard of the Mira hair oil before. I have found some stuff with similar ingredients, but it's all pretty expensive. And oils mostly just make my hair shed more. I'm definitely going to try black tea plus rosemary and sage essential oils. :)

I wish you a lot of patience and good luck with growing out damage! :)

AnnaB
October 23rd, 2012, 01:10 AM
Loving the natural hair colour!! Looks so much healthier too!

Vampyria
October 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Thank you! :)

Lostsoule77
October 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Your hair looks really good! :D

Vampyria
November 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks! :)