PDA

View Full Version : Your hair sins?

Rufflebutt
September 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM
What are your hair sins that you regularly commit?

I may have given up flat ironing and heat styling completely, but I almost never wear my hair up. And when I do, I'm not entirely sure if the updos that I choose are exactly hair friendly. I wear my hair down a lot because I like to show off all of my hip-length hair in all of it's glory. But I'm not exactly sure if this will lead to tons of damage or not..

How about you guys?

Miss Catrina
September 30th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Your hair is a C and if you've made it to hip with your current habits, I wouldn't worry about it.

I wash my hair every day currently. Hoping that can change.

akilina
September 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I am very guilty of wearing my hair down. It is so hard for me to wear it up even though I have a small collection of 2 sticks and 3 forks and many clips. It feels more comfortable.

Lastnight I even straightened my bangs and face framing..I may have also passed the flat iron thru other pieces of my hair >__> Its my once a month thing I justify.

Some might think cones are evil but oh well. I don't. We get along quite well.
I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner every single day, followed by...CONES!

koala
September 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I never wear my hair up, unless I'm just sitting around the house. I don't even have gloriously long hair to show off, I just hate my face shape that much.
I also use cones and my hair seems just fine with them. It gets awful and almost sticky-feeling when I don't.

SilverDoe
September 30th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I almost always wear my hair down during the day, and I CO wash daily/every other day.
Only because my length becomes dry & weird if I don't CO regularly since I started hennaing, but still I'm sure it's not a good habit.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 30th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I don't think cones are a sin, I am fond of them myself;) My greatest hair sin these days would be stretching the time between oil treating my hair.

bunnylake
September 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I am trying to wear mine up more, but I normally don't. And I futz with it ALL THE TIME! Changing the bun, playing with it, touching it, etc. I have to work on the no touchy.
I also shampoo every single day... I just cannot stretch washes. I've tried!

IvanaGil
October 1st, 2012, 12:05 AM
Washing daily, wearing it in a bun all the time, and sometimes combing way too harsh :(

DinaAG
October 1st, 2012, 12:39 AM
none! im obsessed with it!

Tota
October 1st, 2012, 01:21 AM
Not wearing it up much, brushing it too often (but it's so awesome!), touching it too often, using cones, slepping without a protective style on a cotton pillow case.

melusine963
October 1st, 2012, 03:08 AM
I could be gentler brushing and detangling, but sometimes I'm in a hurry. I should also S&D a lot more often than I do.

piffyanne
October 1st, 2012, 04:07 AM
I sometimes get uncomfortable with updos, even with maidenbraids. So I let my hair fly free on those days! :silly:

Also, I have a horrible tendency to secure the ends of my braids with dental elastics. shudder:

Viola88
October 1st, 2012, 04:30 AM
I am about to enter tempting sin season. I am cold natured so a nice hot blow dry feels soooooo good in the winter. I am going to fight the urge as much as I can.

Apriori
October 1st, 2012, 06:38 AM
I scratch my scalp with my nails when I wash my hair and sometimes I'm not quite as gently with my hair when I brush it as I should be.

Lesiaoc
October 1st, 2012, 06:47 AM
I used to go back and forth from platinum to black and everything in between with bleaches and chemical dyes, in a short period of time. I also heat styled most days out of the week. Within the couple years the majority of the hair that put up with that has been cut off.

But NOW, I've been good to my hair. It feels very healthy again. I wear it up most days of the week for work but I am guilty of wearing it free at night. I rarely heat style but when I do, sometimes I use a flatiron.

There are ways to cut down the damage during flatironing but I'm sure there's another thread for that.

So I consider myself to be "reborn."

jacqueline101
October 1st, 2012, 07:03 AM
Sleeping on a cotton pillow case got into a rut of wearing it down brush and comb too harshly at times. Saturday I blow dried on high heat I used a heat protector.

MonaLisa
October 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM
Where do I start... - No satin pillow, makes tangles worse...Not wearing it up almost at all...Often using SLS shampoos, and sometimes cones..Been blowdrying past month but now stopped!

minxe
October 1st, 2012, 09:00 AM
I get bored when I detangle and end up breaking hairs instead of delicately working my way through.

Demi-Plum
October 1st, 2012, 10:20 AM
I wash my hair pretty much every day (thin/fine so it gets greasy super fast) and I also blow fry my bangs in the mornings unless I shower in the morning (not usually unless I don't have anywhere to be early).

rock007junkie
October 1st, 2012, 10:43 PM
I use a boar bristle brush on wet hair to smooth it down. Yikes!

Freckled.Thing
October 1st, 2012, 11:33 PM
I blow dry my hair several times a week. :eek:

Only my bangs though, so it doesn't really count. :p I don't mind abusing my hair if I know it's going to be trimmed off within a few months anyway.

Loveisaverb
October 1st, 2012, 11:38 PM
When I'm in a hurry or not in the mood, I sometimes rip through my tangles with my wide tooth comb or brush
:o

MORE
October 2nd, 2012, 12:45 AM
In spring- and summertime, I let the wind blow in my hair as often as possible. I know it gives me tangles but I adore the feeling of wind too much. Makes me feel alive! I close my eyes and feel like Pocahontas lol. I always feel like such a sinner, but I just can't help myself. :wannabe:

anitacs9101
October 2nd, 2012, 01:53 AM
Same here with the updos! I'm not good at them at all, but it doesn't help that my hair is thick and layered and at this awkward length that is too short for some of the cooler updos. I wanna do a nautilus bun :(

I could be gentler brushing and detangling, but sometimes I'm in a hurry. I should also S&D a lot more often than I do.

Me too. Except whenever I sit down to do it I find none, then at random times of the day it seems they pop up out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

melusine963
October 2nd, 2012, 02:28 AM
Me too. Except whenever I sit down to do it I find none, then at random times of the day it seems they pop up out of nowhere. :rolleyes:
Yep, there's nothing quite so frustrating as finding a split end or three, and having your scissors nowhere in sight.

RubyTuesday
October 2nd, 2012, 04:28 AM
I have to wash every day otherwise I turn into a grease ball :eek:

I have never used any pillow other than a cotton one.

I touch my hair all the time. I may have to handcuff my wrists to my side. :ponder:

Arya
October 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Wait, what's wrong with touching your hair!??

I'm pretty guilty of not carefully taking my hairties out. I just pull em out, I don't carefully unwind them.

theemeraldskull
October 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have to wash every day otherwise I turn into a grease ball :eek:

I have never used any pillow other than a cotton one.

I touch my hair all the time. I may have to handcuff my wrists to my side. :ponder:

Wait, what's wrong with touching your hair!??

I'm pretty guilty of not carefully taking my hairties out. I just pull em out, I don't carefully unwind them.

Ditto and ditto! My hair is so naturally greasy that two days after I wash it looks incredibly disgusting and tangles SUPER easily, so I have to wash it again. I don't think stretching washes would be an option for me at this point.

I touch my hair CONSTANTLY, plus, I LOVE having it down and flowing around me. I wear it down at least as much as I put it up, and maybe more.

I'm still a ponytail girl. Been trying to break out of it, but updos generally give me a headache (and ponys do too after too long).

I used to be very violent when brushing, but I have been calming down a lot and trying to be very careful to prevent breakage. However, I pretty much only brush if my hair is too tangly, or if I want to look at it. XD

Micayla47
October 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
compared to my MANY past hair sins, i'm quite virtuous nowadays. i do sleep with my hair down though because it's more comfortable.

princess007
October 3rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
I have to wash my hair everyday. If I don't wash it everyday then I look like I brushed my hair with a greasy pork chop.

I do keep my hair up but the problem is.....i put it up....take it down and play with it.....then put it back up ........and take it down to play with it again........and then.........

I have stopped bleaching and heat styling though. Baby steps!

fairhairedthing
October 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM
I chem dye with 10v developer on my roots and upper lengths monthly with "professional" ion permanent ash blonde dye. Not really a true "sin" but it's the closest I have. lol

kallarina
October 3rd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Ooh, where to begin... Playing with it a lot, wearing it down a lot, getting impatient with tangles, wearing it down during *ahem* inappropriate times with DBF, bleached it over the summer to lighten the ends so I can grow out my natural color...

CurlyCap
October 3rd, 2012, 11:47 PM
I:

1. Hate sleeping on anything but a cotton pillowcase
2. Co-wash daily
3. Occasionally give up on careful detangling
4. Play with my hair constantly. The curls are my favorite toys.
5. Wear it down if I wanna. I like it that way and if slows down my growth, it slows it down.

MaryO
October 4th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Still blow frying! Just can't kick it! :-(

melusine963
October 4th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I:1. Hate sleeping on anything but a cotton pillowcase

Don't kick yourself too much. A nice cotton pillow case definitely beats the nasty cotton/synthetic mixture I had for a while. That stuff would exfoliate my face overnight, so goodness knows what it was doing to my hair.

hafattack
October 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I am also guilty of detangling impatiently, and wear it down at night. (haven't been able to find a silk or satin pillowcase, the current pillowcase is 'sateen', so not really sure what that is.)
I wear it up almost daily, but often in tight french braids with normal elastics and BOBBY pins, so I often feel it pulling :(
And to MORE.. I also love my hair down in the wind... especially from a car window, oi!
I'm sure I'll think of more :D

Noctifer
October 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
The only things i can think of right now is chemical dye once in a while and not being careful enough whit it when i wear it down.

_Oasis_
October 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I blow dry my hair after every shower. I also curl it with a flat iron. I rarely wear it up and my hair dresser sometimes uses a razor on it. >.>

MORE
October 13th, 2012, 12:40 AM
And to MORE.. I also love my hair down in the wind... especially from a car window, oi!

Ohhh yeah - car window wind!!!:D

Haha I already feel good about myself doing this now that I know it's not only me:p

Carolyn
October 13th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I love being a sinner :gabigrin: I wash almost every day. I use sulphates all the time. I sleep with my hair down almost every night and always use cotton pillowcases. I get my hair dyed professionally every 2-3 months to cover my silvers. AND I regularly blow dry and use either a hot air round brush or flat iron to smooth out my waves.

Lalital
October 13th, 2012, 03:27 AM
My only sin is using a curling iron on my side bangs. They are much shorter, due to bad hairdresser, so I accept them and sometimes allow myself some damage there. Just need a little face-framing curl sometimes. :cool:

TruePenny
October 13th, 2012, 06:44 AM
My only sin is using a curling iron on my side bangs. They are much shorter, due to bad hairdresser, so I accept them and sometimes allow myself some damage there. Just need a little face-framing curl sometimes. :cool:

Same, same. My curly hair is all well and good until it gets to my fringe, and then I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards. I try not to and pin them up most of the time, but sometimes it's nice to have my hair down and feel girly again and then I do some secret straightening of those little blites.

BrightEyes
October 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I've gone back to heat styling a couple times a week. I was just getting tired of not being happy with how my hair looks. I sleep on a cotton pillowcase. I also get my hair highlighted regularly.

Yes, very sinful. But I'm enjoying my hair again:D

MrsGuther
October 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I use wayyyy too much hairspray and bobby pins on a regular basis. I don't get much damage from the bobby pins, but the hairspray is really drying. Lets just say I have to deep condition a lot!

Tristania
October 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Dying my hair with a dye that contains peroxide (although I've been looking for an affordable deposit dye without ammonia and peroxide) is probably my biggest sin. I also have a tendency to get a little impatient when I detangle my hair, so I'm not always as gentle as I should be.

Bianca
October 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't call it a sin, but many here would :D

My "sin" is not hiding my hair in the sun, but doing all I can, to get those natural highlights. I also do lemon lightening. Again with no ill effect, but in here its said to be VEEEERY drying, sometimes even equal to dying it :rolleyes: Not true though, if done right... :p

Diamond.Eyes
October 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Heat-less curling methods followed by hairspray. I use the Garnier Fructis hairspray which actually doesn't make my hair sticky at all and it smells like apples... I love that stuff! :)

Achlys
October 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I almost always wear it down because it suits my face shape better. Or when I'm at home, I wear it up and down and up again... I brush and play with it a lot. I sleep without a protective style and on coarse pillowcases. I'll try to keep it from the cold this winter, though.

sunnydee92
October 13th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Urgh...Mine are probably washing every day most weeks and occasionally blowdrying/heat styling. Oh, and hairspray and bobby pins... I need to keep a folder of long hair pictures to motivate me hahah

maborosi
October 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I heat style for my siblings' weddings. Oh the humanity- I have just one more this year and then we're done.
I won't have to heat style at all next year since I'm not in any more weddings (until mine...someday)

Other than that? Not very much of anything. I usually wear the same style most days, though, so I'm sure that counts, too. Loose bun secured with a scrunchie...which isn't that bad.

I'm typically pretty nice to my hair.

~maborosi~

lapushka
October 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM
My hair's blow dried every week. My hair's halfway between hip & TBL and has no damage whatsoever. It is dried on a low heat setting, not cold, but nice and warm. I more often than not simply do not get the blow "frying" thing on this forum. A blow drier is a tool. When used with caution, when used properly, it's not going to damage your hair!

AspenSong
October 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I only have two I think....

Issue one - Repetitive styles. I have two buns I do - EVERY DAY. I have trouble with others because of not enough hair it seems like and braids are so sad on me... =(
Second issue is tied to the first - one of those buns starts with a ponytail with a ponytail holder and I find myself not even thinking when I do this - I grab the pony, split it in two and spread the sections apart to "tighten" the pony back up. =/

R'ia
October 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I have moods at work when I can't stand having my hair down because its distracting so I'll bun/tie it up with anything handy - pencils, elastics, coffee stirrers (clean), zip ties, chopsticks, even a couple spoons one memorable day! All this despite keeping proper hair thingys in my purse!

AineMuirne
October 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I wear my hair down every day it gets washed and I wash it too much. I've been washing it every other day for the past few weeks, though, instead of every day! And I've dropped the sulfates completely. Getting there. But I don't know if I'll ever be able to not wear it down almost all the time! I sleep on cotton pillows, but they're incredibly high thread count so that has to count for something?! I don't think they're hurting my hair. At least I've started braiding it for bed.

blaketob
October 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I am guilty of a couple. I wear my hair down almost everyday and sleep with my hair down as well. I get headaches when I wear my hair up and I don't know how to braid my hair on my own. I also tend to touch my hair a lot with my fingers throughout the day

Indigo Girl
October 13th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I curl my bangs. And then I hairspray the curl. :blushing:

fairhairedthing
October 14th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I blowfried. :D

No damage, but wasn't happy with the look so no need no more until it gets chilly and wet hair is no longer acceptable. Luckily my dryer has a nice "cool" button.

biogirl87
October 14th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I am guilty of a couple. I wear my hair down almost everyday and sleep with my hair down as well. I get headaches when I wear my hair up and I don't know how to braid my hair on my own. I also tend to touch my hair a lot with my fingers throughout the dayI'm almost the same way. While I want to grow my hair long, to me it's like what's the point of having it long if it's up all the time. So I'll generally wear it up three of four days after I wash. Then if I'm meeting with someone who thinks hair needs to be washed every three days at the most I'll wash; otherwise it gets put in a cinnabun that I secure with a giant claw clip. Not the most hair friendly option of securing a bun, but it's the only type of hair toy I have besides hair elastics. Although the only time I touch my hair when I'm wearing it down is if it has flipped over the shoulder and I need to put it back (makes it seem like it's thicker).

Modarunner
October 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not as gentle as I could be when combing my hair and I tend to rip the comb through knots. I have no patience to gently untangle them.

JellyBene
October 15th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Daily washing :(

LoveAngelBeauty
October 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I flat iron my hair now :) My hair is softer, receives moisture better, I'm happier with it than I was when I let it air dry and it was constantly in tangles and knots. Heat is good for me so far.

Fnugg
October 16th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I brush quite aggressively, and tug on my tangles. And I don't use a proper salon scissor to cut my hair. Oh, and cotton pillows. And I curl my hair with a curling iron at least twice a year.

IndigoOptimist
October 16th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I keep on forgetting to oil recently :p That's not really a sin though, it's just my forgetfulness ha ha!
I do like to wear my hair down, but don't as often as I would because of my job and working around food ;)
I think the worst thing I do it brush it too quickly when I'm in a hurry in the morning... And dying it, but I only use Manic Panic now :)

HintOfMint
October 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I get lazy and don't put my hair up at night and sometimes I just roughly brush through tangles. Combine that with extremely irregular S&D, I get splits more often than I'd like. It's sheer laziness though, not vanity.

arjay.d
October 16th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I usually sleep with my hair in a braid and wear it contained somehow. Yesterday, I was really lazy and just wore it down all day, didn't comb it, slept in it down, and wore it down or in an uncombed bun all day. I've been finger combing for 40 minutes and I'm still not done. I won't commit this one again any time soon. eugh.

justgreen
October 16th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I don't have any hair sins. I wash with sulphates, blow dry almost every time I wash, flat iron once or twice a week, wear my hair done 80% of the time, use scruncheis.

Now I do dilute my shampoo but that's because I don't want full strength chemicals on my head, watery is better than full any day. Not to mention you get TONS more lather if you put 2 tablespoons of shampoo in an applicator bottle with a nozzle tip, shake the bottle and apply all that lovely lather right down on the dirty scalp/roots.

I do use a microfiber towel, but that is because it wicks almost all the water off my hair and makes the drying time faster.

I use products with cones in them every time I wash. I've been here long enough to learn how to safely remove cone products without damaging my hair.

I use an air dry brush when I blow dry. I don't sleep on a silk pillow case. I bleach my roots using 30 or 40 vol bleach, whichever my stylist has on hand, every 4-6 weeks religiously. My hair is healthy and about 2.5" from classic length. I don't like spiders OR snakes.

*justy*

AineMuirne
October 17th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I usually sleep with my hair in a braid and wear it contained somehow. Yesterday, I was really lazy and just wore it down all day, didn't comb it, slept in it down, and wore it down or in an uncombed bun all day. I've been finger combing for 40 minutes and I'm still not done. I won't commit this one again any time soon. eugh.

I feeeel your pain. Two or three weeks ago during one of my [worst ever] migraines I laid down while my hair was loose, all day and all night, tossing and turning. Ohhh it was awful. D: I don't even want to know how many split ends it created. My tangle teezer saved my life after an hour of finger combing.

Even during a migraine I'm braiding my hair now, lol.

Fnugg
October 17th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I have sinned again. :o
Yesterday I trimmed my hair, with scissors from work. They weren't sharp enough, but I used them on the rest of my hair anyway. Now I fear that I have crushed my ends instead of cut them.

BabyFirefly
October 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Wash with sulphates, use cone conditioner, brush my hair when in a hurry and wear it down at least a few times a week. I love to wear it down and see the sun play in my hennaed hair. But that's about it and it seems to be doing just fine. :)

see_turtle
October 17th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I rip through tangles big time! I straightened it last month...but look how good it looked!
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/see_the_turtle/Hair%20progress/hairstraight2012.jpg

Sharysa
October 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks to my Indestructible Asian Hair, I commit these regular sins:

-Play with it WAAAAAY too much now that I've unlocked the secret of French-braid waves. KFJDLAJKL cannot wait till this is mid-back at least.
-Sleep on a cotton pillowcase. Sometimes I need to wet my hair to tame the frizz.
-I used to rip through tangles, but now I only get as far as yanking them before the pain makes me remember that I'm growing it out. :p

Sharysa
October 17th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Aaaand forgot to mention the logical conclusion of #1: I wear it down whenever I have the chance.

MrsGuther
October 17th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I wear a really messy top knot to sleep in and it makes the sides of my hair all fuzzy. I have the worst bed head when I wake up. I don't use a nice hair friendly pillow case either! So I'm sure that is definitely considered a hair sin!

BabyFirefly
October 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I forgot one! I use regular cotton pillow cases too. I guess I could by a satin one but I love to have nice bed sets so that would ruin the look of my bed. I figure it isn't so bad since I always braid it before bed.

violacutie
July 12th, 2015, 08:20 PM
I can't stretch washes anymore. My hair is way too short now and even though I know it's not good I wash my hair every day to every other day...

missrandie
July 12th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I am a hair fiddler. Whenever I get stressed or something, I start playing with my hair and massaging my scalp big time. Did it with long hair, did it with short hair worse. Lol I hardly ever put product in my hair because I knew my hands were going to be in it before the day was out.

Now I try to just brush my scalp with my Widu or use my scalp tingle to massage instead of my fingers.

goldenwitch
July 12th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I don't have any hair sins. I wash with sulphates, blow dry almost every time I wash, flat iron once or twice a week, wear my hair done 80% of the time, use scruncheis.

Now I do dilute my shampoo but that's because I don't want full strength chemicals on my head, watery is better than full any day. Not to mention you get TONS more lather if you put 2 tablespoons of shampoo in an applicator bottle with a nozzle tip, shake the bottle and apply all that lovely lather right down on the dirty scalp/roots.

I do use a microfiber towel, but that is because it wicks almost all the water off my hair and makes the drying time faster.

I use products with cones in them every time I wash. I've been here long enough to learn how to safely remove cone products without damaging my hair.

I use an air dry brush when I blow dry. I don't sleep on a silk pillow case. I bleach my roots using 30 or 40 vol bleach, whichever my stylist has on hand, every 4-6 weeks religiously. My hair is healthy and about 2.5" from classic length. I don't like spiders OR snakes.

*justy*

My hair wants to grow up to be like yours someday...is your under layer of hair also colored or is it left alone?

Loktra
July 12th, 2015, 08:53 PM
I play with my hair a lot, it's a comfort thing. Ever since I was a tiny kid....if my hair is down, it's in my left hand, woven between my fingers, and possibly pulled over in front of my face.
It's a silly habit that I'm sure looks ridiculous (I try not to do it in public) and likely damages my hair, but the smell of a familiar conditioner is sort of comforting, I guess.
I hate sleeping on clean pillowcases that don't smell like my hair product too...haha.

Frankenstein
July 12th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Brushing wet hair. I'm just never going to be able to give this up. I've tried and it feels too strange for me.

Wearing it down whenever I go out.

Occasionally flat ironing my ends when they're wonky and curling out in all different directions.

yahirwaO.o
July 12th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Hmm hair siner, insteresting...

-Well I regularly wear low ponytails a lot, sometimes with metal part but most of the time do it because I can just handle one turn- twist or else my head sores, metal ones hold mine much better that regular ones (not high ponys tho) and I lost my handy scrunchie. I dont see any damage since I remove it very carefully.

-Wear my hair down 90%, outdoors and sleep every night like this. I dont care if its rainning, windy or sunny. I just feel so free and confident with my hair down I love it. Buns gave me sore scalp and that's worse I believe.

-Brush my hair 3 times or sometimes more depending how is the day doing. Mine does not tangle it just clumps a bit but I like fan out, full and smooth hair.

-Clarify, Whats that???? LOL

I dont think my sins are bad, I stay away from heat tools (blow dry my hair everytime I wash but in warm and cool setting), dont dye or any crazy stuff, have the nicest cotton ties for securing my braids and my shampoo is very low sulfate which I dilute. I feel more hair saint than sinner in my opinion LOL :p

Lauraes
July 12th, 2015, 10:15 PM
-I occasionally curl it maybe once or twice a month using hot rollers or a curling wand. I use hairspray after I've curled it.
-I wear it down once in a while.
-When I clarify, which is once a month, I use undiluted dish soap. ;) I do a SMT immediately afterwards, and it really doesn't dry out my hair at all.
-And the worst one: My hair has always been dyed with perm box dyes for the past 4 years now.

ghost
July 12th, 2015, 11:38 PM
I don't really feel too much guilt for these "sins" :p But: chemical coloring every couple months, sleeping with loose hair (sometimes, but not aways), wearing my hair down a lot, touching it way too often, obsessively looking for splits.

Doreen
July 13th, 2015, 12:57 AM
I do a LWB probably 50-60% of the time in the exact same spot in the same direction. I have noticed mechanical damage on my bottom layer and try to english braid it instead more often but I am lazy... hence LWB.

I also am not exactly gentle with it in the shower -- I don't pile it on my head, at least, but I do "finger comb" pretty roughly aka "inadvertently rip out tangles" as I condition. I don't lose too much since I brush beforehand and it's usually not too tangly, but I could stand to be more patient.

martyna_22
July 13th, 2015, 01:03 AM
I wear my hair down practically excusively, except at night. Other than that, nothing, I think.

*ReiKa*
July 13th, 2015, 01:31 AM
- I heat-style my hair at least three times a month
- I comb/brush my hair many times a day when it's down, I also have a TT in my bag.
- I have been using tight elastics for my ponytails in the last two months (now I decided not to anymore)
- Sometimes I seriously run out of patience, and I don't detangle my hair gently (yes... a few rips happen...)
- I wear my hair down quite often, and although I'm always super careful with it, sometimes a few hairs get stuck somewhere without me being aware of it, as a result they'll get snapped.
- Oh, I don't use any silk pillowcases either, just the normal cotton ones (is that really a sin? it appears so... I didn't know, thought it was kinda an "optional" thing.)

I am quite a sinner, LOL

KittyBird
July 13th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Too rough detangling sometimes
I use a curling wand every now and then (on the lowest heat setting, but still..)
Wear my hair down most of the time
Never clarify, but my hair doesn't seem to get buildup anyway.
If I'm wearing my hair up every day, I sometimes go several days without detangling, which always leads to lots of nasty tangles. I never learn :lol:

YvetteVarie
July 13th, 2015, 02:48 AM
Mine are:

- Using sulfates
- snapping off any knots instead of doing search and destroy
- not patiently detangling it
- using a chemical relaxer to make the curls looser

restless
July 13th, 2015, 02:57 AM
I try to be good, but all sins cant be cut out. At least Im treating my hair way better than I used to. The dye, heat, teasing and hairspray are gone. However, I still:

*wash my hair every day.
*dont bother to avoid sls/cones. If it smells good and my hair likes it, I like it too.
*use a regular cotton pillowcase.

I wear my hair up like 90% of the time nowadays, which is good. The problem is I like to wear the same type of bun in the same place most days. I just switch hair toy and then Im good to go. Guess I should try something else...

Kiiruna
July 13th, 2015, 04:14 AM
I wash too often (every other or every third day - I just loooove washing hair).
And I wash them with sulfates.
And after that I use cones.
I sleep with my hair down.
And use a cotton pillowcase.
I wear my hair down a bit too much (short-ish, layered and thick hair = updos are difficult).
I brush hair too often (but I use Tangle Teezer!).
I touch my hair too often (with hands).

pailin
July 13th, 2015, 06:22 AM
I wash my hair everyday (It's hot here, I sweat a lot and it also gets greasy) .
And I sleep with it loose.

Lady Katherine
July 13th, 2015, 06:33 AM
I use a cotton pillowcase
I wear my hair down at least half the time
(And the worst of all) I use a curling iron sometimes (but I baby my hair after using heat)

MINAKO
July 13th, 2015, 06:41 AM
I slept without my bun cover the last two nights and already guilt tripping, lol. Its deep comditioning time today! :D

Colochita
July 13th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I know installing Curlformers will lead to a little breakage no matter how careful I am, but I still do it on occasion. :( The stretch is too beautiful to handle.

Eraisuithiel
July 13th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I e stopped oil parenting and deep conditioning, I lost my nightcap, so my hair is out on cheap cotton pillows all night, I comb my hair with a fine-tooth comb daily (I used to not even brush it every day). Basically, I threw caution to the wind and decided, eh, why not let it do its own thing? Perming/dying used to be monthly, did it last month after over a year without either, but I'm hoping to not make a habit of it again.

Halliday
July 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM
i love this thread! well my hair sins are:

1. sleeping with my hair down (i like having my natural wave, not braid or bun waves)
2. using a SLS shampoo (lush shampoo bar)
3. Not really doing deep treatments
4. I know like no protective hairstyles at all

Kendrix
July 13th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Wearing it loose. I should learn since it tangles so bad, but nope. Lovely little ragamuffin here.

My very worst habit is -please don't judge- biting my split ends. I never successfully s&d, but when I am so bored in a conversation or watching a movie or whatever, I find them everywhere and with no scissor near, I bite them. It's like nail biting, but worse. I HAVE to have my hair up because of this habit. And no braids. Splits love to stick out of braids.

I can't believe I have even made it to BCL with this horrible habit.

memeow
July 13th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Saturday I was going to swim, so I put some coconut oil in my hair and put it in a bun to protect it. Awesome! Only then I got lazy and didn't wash the chlorine out before bed...just rebunned on the top of my head. That would have been bad enough, but I got back in the pool on Sunday and repeated the same thing!

At least it was really soft after I finally washed it this morning. Maybe my hair likes chlorine deep treatments...?

Arctic
July 13th, 2015, 05:01 PM
I don't consider mine "sins", but I don't think my hair care habits are as gentle as many other LHCers have. They are probably gentler than an avarage, non-LHCer has, though.

mica
July 13th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Some of my "sins" I don't really consider them to be so, but I know LHC canon would probably condemn me for them:
-Using a blowdryer. The (worst?) part is that I only began to use it recently, my hair is way too long and thick at this point for air drying before I get pneumonia. I use medium heat, it's fine on my skin, it should be fine on my hair
-Using a regular comb, not a widetooth one. I'm quite slow and gentle when using it so I don't see a problem. widetooth combs are nice and all but sometimes I feel like they just don't get the job done.
Now, for the real sins:
-I sometimes leave my hair down during "special times" with my SO, and every time I hate myself for it. It makes me feel sexy and all but it just wrecks it.
-when the above mentioned happens I'm prone to losing my patience in the detangling process, straight up ripping it through with a paddle brush if I'm going to be late to work or something like that
-I can't, just can't handle my hair carefully when I wash it, I suck at it. I scratch my scalp, handle the whole thing too harshly, etc
-I like to braid my hair all the way down to the ends, leaving a minimal tail, even though I know damn well all that bending is not good for my delicate ends.
I guess that's about it, I'm going to hair hell :twisted:

Aderyn
July 13th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I don't use a silk and/or satin pillowcase.

I play with my hair a lot.

Repetitive styling. Then I try to experiment with new styles.. see second sin!

TaterTot
July 13th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I use tiny tangle prone barrettes to hold my bangs back while they grow out ;_;

Eastbound&Down
July 14th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I wear it up almost all the time, but I do sleep with it down on my regular old Walmart pillow case. And when it's down I play with it constantly, I can't help it.

Senna
July 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
I wear it up almost all the time, but I do sleep with it down on my regular old Walmart pillow case. And when it's down I play with it constantly, I can't help it.

THIS. I can't stop touching it when it's down haha

gyhaslan
July 14th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I just started changing my hair care routine but these will endure:
-washing my hair 5-6 times a week. I have to wash after my workouts, have to! But I've started co-washing so hopefully not as harsh as shampoos have been
-regular cotton pillow cases. If need be, I might look into getting a sleep cap
-Combing my hair in the shower, have to distribute the condish along my roots and gently detangle
-wear it half up almost every day, exposing my bottom layers to damage?

meteor
July 14th, 2015, 04:05 PM
1) Putting hair up almost always in the exact same style, in the same place. (Mostly because they are easier/more comfy and I'm a creature of habit.)

2) Not using enough leave-in, not sealing moisture enough. (I'm always afraid it will turn hair into greasy lint-attracting mess if I use one drop too many.)

3) Not clarifying/chelating, except in extreme situations.

4) Not doing enough deep treatments. (Mostly because they take time, don't make a massive difference anymore, and I don't like sitting in plastic caps in drippy mess.)

5) Still sometimes thinking about going back to bleach (highlights) :brickwall Must.Resist. :lala: :meditate:

*ReiKa*
July 14th, 2015, 04:08 PM
THIS. I can't stop touching it when it's down haha

Yep, I forgot this, I actually play with it quite a lot when it's down, especially by finger-combing it, since I've reintroduced silicones I cannot stop sliding my fingers through the lenght and find almost no tangles, and if I've straightened it as well, OH MY, it's impossible to resist, I've gotta touch that smoothness :whistle:

CinnamonBun
July 14th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Oh, dear. Brushing several times a day with a plastic paddle brush and failing to consistently wear my hair in protective, gentle styles. Maybe that's why I'm plateau-ing right after waist......:?:

yahirwaO.o
July 14th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Yep, I forgot this, I actually play with it quite a lot when it's down, especially by finger-combing it, since I've reintroduced silicones I cannot stop sliding my fingers through the lenght and find almost no tangles, and if I've straightened it as well, OH MY, it's impossible to resist, I've gotta touch that smoothness :whistle:

OH Yes, hair down and smooth, its impossible not to play with it!!! O..O

dancingrain91
July 14th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Some of my "sins" I don't really consider them to be so, but I know LHC canon would probably condemn me for them:
-Using a blowdryer. The (worst?) part is that I only began to use it recently, my hair is way too long and thick at this point for air drying before I get pneumonia. I use medium heat, it's fine on my skin, it should be fine on my hair
-Using a regular comb, not a widetooth one. I'm quite slow and gentle when using it so I don't see a problem. widetooth combs are nice and all but sometimes I feel like they just don't get the job done.
Now, for the real sins:
-I sometimes leave my hair down during "special times" with my SO, and every time I hate myself for it. It makes me feel sexy and all but it just wrecks it.
-when the above mentioned happens I'm prone to losing my patience in the detangling process, straight up ripping it through with a paddle brush if I'm going to be late to work or something like that
-I can't, just can't handle my hair carefully when I wash it, I suck at it. I scratch my scalp, handle the whole thing too harshly, etc
-I like to braid my hair all the way down to the ends, leaving a minimal tail, even though I know damn well all that bending is not good for my delicate ends.
I guess that's about it, I'm going to hair hell :twisted:

Many of these are my sins too. I used to put my hair up for special times, but he started pulling it back down. I just use leave ins that make my hair easier to detangle. Honestly the only thing I do different is I love my wide toothed comb. I sleep on a cotton pillowcase and wear my hair in loose "messy" buns or down more often than up.

Bunnehlvr22
July 18th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I'm just starting to take care of my hair so I have quite a few "hair sins". The main one is sleeping on cotton pillow case. I will also brush my hair wet on occasion (I am combing it wet more but I do love how a brush makes my wet hair soft). I also wear a pulling ponytail way too often.

Knifegill
July 19th, 2015, 02:14 AM
I didn't restore my hair this wash, it's dry as straw! So I'm keeping it up until I can get to some coconut oil...

Mimha
July 19th, 2015, 03:50 AM
My hair sin ??....

My hair, probably :lol:

LeMimi13
July 19th, 2015, 04:21 AM
Wearing my hair down almost everyday or in a ponytail and right now I wasj it almost everyday since I go to the beach and swim every day..

Jo Ann
July 19th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Oh, let's see...wearing it down, a lot...wearing over-the-head-headphones constantly...not always using a conditioner when I wash it, but I DO remember to oil it and put a hair breakage serum on it after it's washed...

Pat Wright
July 31st, 2015, 03:52 PM
My one really bad one has to be dyeing it. Other than that I treat it pretty well:whistle:

dogzdinner
August 1st, 2015, 11:21 AM
My worse one is probably putting it up in a half pulled through ponytail with a scrunchy...then falling asleep like it! I always wake up with a giant knotty mess on my head. :(

Robi-Bird
August 1st, 2015, 01:52 PM
Dyeing it. Oh and I have never deep conditioned or used hair masks.

vyki1033
August 2nd, 2015, 08:13 AM
I wear it down constantly - even when exercising!
Combing it wet.
Washing it too much - although my hair seems to really like baby shampoo and I only shampoo the roots. I condition with deep conditioner every time I was it.

And I play with it... constantly...

It's not even BSL yet but it seems to be growing at a decent rate.

wilderwein
August 2nd, 2015, 08:31 AM
-Using SLS and cones (I didn't tried sls and cone free products but I'm sure it won't work on my hair)
-Sleeping on normal pillowcases (non satin/silk ones)
-Positioning my hair bun on the same place everyday

embee
August 2nd, 2015, 09:19 AM
I brush my hair twice daily with a Denman brush, no BBB for me.
I wear a bun every day - same place same style most days.
I also use ordinary pillowcases.

missblueeyes
August 2nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Wearing my hair down frequently (mostly in a braid though).
I can get a little rough when detangling if I didn't get enough sleep.

JustPam
August 2nd, 2015, 11:03 AM
Occasional straightening, couple times a month I'd say, but I only do the ends, which are already dye damaged and are getting trimmed off anyway. I dont think I'll need to straighten once my hair is fully virgin, its much sleeker than the dyed part.

Gamma Vector
August 4th, 2015, 02:11 AM
Occasional heat styling (I blow dry it sometimes if I'm in a hurry, and have been known to take a curling iron to my bangs when they refuse to behave properly). I also like to wear it down. But my biggest sin? I don't S&D. *flees the lynch mob*

laceyfairy
August 4th, 2015, 03:39 AM
I wear my hair in a nautilus at slightly below ear level almost every day. When I do wear other buns I don't change the position much. I sleep mostly on cotton pillowcases. I sleep with my hair in a braid instead of a more protective style. I don't deep condition. In my defense, I'm going to be a university student and that could mean twice the hair washing and I don't want to be responsible for clogging the drain in the showers since I can't really put one of those plastic net-like things on the drain. But my biggest sin is comparing my hair to other people's hair.

JustPam
August 4th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Oh I don't sleep on anything but cotton either, I had satin bedding once and hated it, feels horrible, cold and slimy when you roll over in a half asleep haze. As for wearing a bonnet, just no way. A braid is as good as it gets with my sleeping hairstyles, but I often just put it in a ponytail or leave it down, can't sleep in a bun, doesn't matter where it is I always feel it.

I don't S&D either, well I don't specifically sit down to do it, if I see a split/knot/whatever during the course of the day I will cut it out, with the closest pair of scissors, which is usually my desk ones, and I snap white dots, with pleasure.

I use hair ties, snap clips, hair spray and mousse. I rarely comb before brushing, I brush wet, I messy bun, and I tighten my ponytail by pulling it to the sides.

Now how many winces did I get there? :P

Arctic
August 4th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Oh I don't sleep on anything but cotton either, I had satin bedding once and hated it, feels horrible, cold and slimy when you roll over in a half asleep haze. As for wearing a bonnet, just no way. A braid is as good as it gets with my sleeping hairstyles, but I often just put it in a ponytail or leave it down, can't sleep in a bun, doesn't matter where it is I always feel it.

I don't S&D either, well I don't specifically sit down to do it, if I see a split/knot/whatever during the course of the day I will cut it out, with the closest pair of scissors, which is usually my desk ones, and I snap white dots, with pleasure.

I use hair ties, snap clips, hair spray and mousse. I rarely comb before brushing, I brush wet, I messy bun, and I tighten my ponytail by pulling it to the sides.

Now how many winces did I get there? :P

You are my kind of person! Lol!

Johannah
August 4th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Wearing it in a ponytail too much lately, but my grown out bangs fall out of my bun and it's annoying.

Olavi
August 4th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I sleep on cotton pillowcases, with hair often open and every now and then wet and open.

I keep it often open and down during the day. Even on windy days.

I go to the (Finnish) sauna and only wet my hair. No conditioner or treatments.

I very rarely deep condition or clarify.

I rarely have patience to normal conditioners either, so I depend on leave-ins.

I use hairties (cloth and seamless, tho) exclusively.

truepeacenik
August 4th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I wear my hair in a nautilus at slightly below ear level almost every day. When I do wear other buns I don't change the position much. I sleep mostly on cotton pillowcases. I sleep with my hair in a braid instead of a more protective style. I don't deep condition. In my defense, I'm going to be a university student and that could mean twice the hair washing and I don't want to be responsible for clogging the drain in the showers since I can't really put one of those plastic net-like things on the drain. But my biggest sin is comparing my hair to other people's hair.

I travel with a drain cover. It's kind. Because my hair will go weeks with minor shed and think it's spring at any hotel, in any weather.

laceyfairy
August 4th, 2015, 11:31 AM
I travel with a drain cover. It's kind. Because my hair will go weeks with minor shed and think it's springhttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3057633 at any hotel, in any weather.

Good idea! I'll bring one in my shower caddy. Another sin is that I misrepresent my hair length in conversation (I'm used to braid waves eating length but my hair is in fact bcl)and haven't bothered to check my ponytail circumference since I joined LHC

mallorykay13
August 4th, 2015, 04:52 PM
My biggest sin right now is probably my lack of detangling and then dealing with the fallout. I also wear the same bun EVERYDAY in the same spot, which I'm sure is causing damage at this point. I also have failed to oil in far too long. Also, HI! This is my first post after a long hiatus. :)

ArienEllariel
August 4th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Lack of detangling carefully and not braiding for bed. I've been a little rougher on my hair lately and I need to start taking better care of it.

goneJackal
August 4th, 2015, 07:54 PM
If I told how bad I treated my hair in the first 7 years I started growing it, I'd be banned from this community!

RainbowBowser
August 5th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Mechanical damage in general and not detangling slowly.
I haven't 100% quit heat styling but it only ever happens enough times a year that I could count.
Considering where I was pre-LHC, these are relatively forgivable hair sins.
Though I think I need strong repentance with S&D sessions, maybe a trim before school

MadHouseWitch
August 5th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I wear my hair down a lot, but it just hit BSL and the curls put it more APL. I'm really bad with my S&D's seems like when I find a split the scissors are not handy, which is a lame excuse since I know right where they are. I sleep with a regular cotton pillowcase, found a satin one one time on clearance (which BTW is my favorite word) BUT it was standard size and I have King size pillows and I'm not about to give them up! I feel like I was too much but it is getting more infrequent, Wash day one, Rinse day two, and CO wash day three, repeat. Some days are still every other but it is less often. I tried going no Poo once and it worked well until it didn't. (Baking soda washes and ACV water rinses) My biggest one, I brush when wet, I am careful, but a brush does WAY less damage than any comb has ever done, I've learned to be more careful with it and currently have a bamboo brush that I use when I do it. I tried the Tangle Teaser and loved it for a while, until those bristles started breaking and I became paranoid that it was causing splits for me (I'm still not sure :P ) I used to handle my hair a LOT, but since finding that I can to ringlets that has changed once I get my "curls in" (Fight the frizz) I sometimes do play with them but carefully. I'm not so much a fan of heat, but I won't rule it out for special occasions, but that is like once a year or less right now, and my hair does REALLY well with heat styling, it sort of irritates me when people can do all the no no's and STILL have "perfect" hair, I remember reading a list and going I do none of those why do I still get damage! Like I said I don't heat style much if at all, but I know from proms and weddings and such.
I have only been braiding it for bedtime the last 2 nights, and last night I realized the braid was trying to curl.... I was kind of awesome!

Asha
August 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I haven't given up the chemical dye. My hairs black and I dye it every so often to achieve a bright red... I can't resist it. Could switch to henna my ends would still be bright as it grew out...

mira-chan
August 5th, 2015, 12:58 PM
No standard ones that I know of. I generally follow benign neglect. Don't really comb it much bit it's not tangly.

alexis917
August 5th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I hate S&Ding (feel like I go cross eyed?) so it rarely ever happens.

yahirwaO.o
August 8th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I've been washing a lot more lately and blow drying it afterwards with hot setting :bull:

JustPam
February 3rd, 2016, 06:52 AM
Digging up this thread, because I need to feel less bad about being so un-LHC to my hair haha.

So, who else can't even remember the last time they wore a bun??

Agnieszka
February 3rd, 2016, 07:07 AM
Pre LHC- bleaching till platinum+blonde hair extensions, flat ironing and curling with the same device ;-)

Last few years while on LHC-occasional highlights, but now completely natural hair, all bleach is gone as I cut it all of in October last year

My current hair sin... probably washing quite often (every other day or 1 in three days max) and using hairdryer on cool setting once in a while.

Skade
February 3rd, 2016, 07:08 AM
Digging up this thread, because I need to feel less bad about being so un-LHC to my hair haha.

Not me. I“m wearing a bun right now. But I can give you some other hair sins to make you feel less bad about being un-LHC to your hair :)

My sins right now:
Being lazy about detangling carefully.
Cant remember last time I did an S&D
Using too hot water on my hair..

school of fish
February 3rd, 2016, 07:25 AM

I think I can help you here ;)

I'm a really half-@$$ed bunner. While I do bun at night, during the day it's almost always down because that's how I like it.

We've had some inordinately high winds this season - the kind that rip branches off trees. A couple weeks ago we lost our recycling bins and randomly found them on a drive 4 blocks away - and those bins were full when they flew!! And have I been putting my hair up during any of these galestorms? Nope! I've been letting it all whip around in the air in a 3-foot radius all around my head!

I think that's an LHC sin, right? ;)

bunneh.
February 3rd, 2016, 07:38 AM
I have many... I bun sometimes, I definitely need to put my hair in buns more and I need to finish those lovely hair forks and put them to good use. I think this will benefit my hair the most. I blowdry my hair on cool or warm settings every time I wash my hair in winter and cold days, which is something I'm not going to give up, because sleeping in a cold place with wet hair = cold for me and that's not cool. I occasionally blow dry with the hot setting if I'm in a hurry, but I'll stop that since it is more damaging than lower heat settings. And I need to wash my hair with cooler water more often, in winter I like using hot water because it's so cold. :( Thankfully my hair is pretty resilient, but if I want it to grow long and healthy I need to protect it more.

lillielil
February 3rd, 2016, 07:48 AM
I sleep with it loose, on a cotton pillowcase.

I almost never comb or brush. I finger-comb in the shower with conditioner, but that's it. As a result, all my sheds just stay put until my next wash, when they all slide out at once and I stick them on the shower wall.

Mirabele
February 3rd, 2016, 07:57 AM
me pre-LHC: bleach or highlights, blow drying, washing every second day. using no conditioner. using lots of styling products, ponytail every day for decades, sleep without protective hairstyles, hate my hair.
now: i've been god for the past 6 months. i love my hair. growin out natural. no blow drying. streching washes. use lots of conditioner, dilute my shampoo. oils oils oils. sleep in braid. i love to wear my hair up, so i wear protective styles a lot. my only sin is that i am too obsessed an want too many products (oils, hair toys..)

Eastbound&Down
February 3rd, 2016, 08:36 AM
I think my only real sin is that I sleep with it down and on a thick cotton pillow case. Really the only time it is down, is when I'm sleeping or sitting on the couch finger-combing. I have to wear it up for work, so no choice there, and with a rambunctious 2 year old boy, wearing it down while running after him is just not possible. I do occasionally (as in every 4-6 months) dye it with off the shelf box dye, but I always do everything I can to prevent damage before and after.

kendraf
February 3rd, 2016, 09:33 AM
In the past: frying it to death with heat, bleaching it to death with highlights, no deep conditioning or oiling, brushing it roughly

Currently: sleeping with it loose on cotton pillowcases, the rare use of heat by curling a few pieces here and there, balayage once a year, no S&D/microtrims, wearing it down too often, using hot water, breaking off splits/white dots instead of cutting above them

Mavi
February 3rd, 2016, 11:24 AM
Past me: Elastics at the nape every day, brushing while wet

Now: Leaving a braid in for four days and ripping impatiently at my hair in order to detangle.

Swan Maiden
February 3rd, 2016, 12:06 PM
I am mostly a finey and I detangle wet, with conditioner at least *shrug*

I wash often for my length.

I brush from the top down! And the bottom. I meet the tangles at the middle and then detangle bottom up.

I handpick splits/white dots when I don't have my shears available.

HeartofHaleth
February 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
Now and then I sleep with it down, all over my scratchy cotton bedding...It just feels so nice!!:sad

Loveisaverb
February 3rd, 2016, 12:19 PM
Douple post

Loveisaverb
February 3rd, 2016, 12:23 PM
Joining the club of using hot water. I like to shower in just slightly below burning hot water and my hair suffers with it. Also horrible detanlging skills. Oops.

school of fish
February 3rd, 2016, 12:33 PM
I brush from the top down! And the bottom. I meet the tangles at the middle and then detangle bottom up.

Me too, me too!!! It's honestly a gentler detangle for me this way, even though I know there are legions here who would wince at the thought...

If combing from the top down is wrong, I don't want to be right!

*Stella*
February 3rd, 2016, 04:36 PM
My worst sin is never wearing my hair up, it gets horribly tangled. Sometimes i don't brush it for days (I get migraines, so can't bear to even touch it) and it almost starts to form dreadlocks

henné
February 3rd, 2016, 04:56 PM
I've cut of like 40cm about a month ago for no reason besides me being bored with it being BCL, muheheheheheeee.... :demon:

And I pretty much never do oil treatments. It's just such a drag.

Swan Maiden
February 3rd, 2016, 05:00 PM
Me too, me too!!! It's honestly a gentler detangle for me this way, even though I know there are legions here who would wince at the thought...

I am not alone! It's not like I rip my tangle teezer through my hair. I'm still gentle.

meteor
February 3rd, 2016, 05:50 PM

I am not alone! It's not like I rip my tangle teezer through my hair. I'm still gentle.

I do this, too! :hifive: I swear, I get less snagging and smoother detangling this way. I start combing lightly (with a wide-tooth comb) from scalp down and as soon as I feel resistance, I stop and undo with the tangle with fingers and comb slowly, and when I'm done, I keep moving further down until the next tangle. When I tried detangling hair from ends up, my strands would get strangely misaligned by the time I'd finally get to the top, so I'd have to follow up with some strokes from roots to ends anyway - twice the work!

The only exception is when I'm undoing a braid: I start detangling ends (only if needed) as I'm unraveling it, because it seems easier to see easy-to-attack tangles and the hair is sectioned by the braid, which makes the detangling go faster.

What methods do you guys use for "roots-down" detangling? :) Do you section hair?

school of fish
February 3rd, 2016, 06:47 PM
OMG, I use the same detangling method as the mighty meteor? Wow ;)

My method is indeed very similar, for both damp and dry detangling. Post-shower damp hair is detangled with a moderately wide toothed comb, dry hair with a Tangle Teezer - and I always detangle dry before hopping in the shower. Makes for less detangling all around :)

This is going to take a lot of words to describe a really quick process, so sorry!

I don't section - my hair is the 'cob-webby' variety so I avoid sectioning as much as possible. Aligning the strands at scalp level seems to make for a much smoother and faster detangle all over - I totally get what you mean about having to do everything twice if you start at the bottom! I can generally go from my scalp to about halfway down before meeting too much resistance - that's about BSL on me and it's where my blunt layers start. Once I hit that resistance I do a few passes from the bottom up, narrowing the gap as much as I can until I once again meet resistance. From there it's a matter of aiming the brush or comb through a small area of the mass in the middle, and gently coaxing it out. I hold my length in my left hand (at the bottom of the upper/scalp detangled section, if that makes sense) and I'll work on the underside for a few passes, then kind of flip my left hand so the canopy side is accessible and do a few passes on that... working back and forth through the thickness in 'layers' eventually I stop meeting resistance in the middle :) The rest just kind of slides easily out the detangled lower/ends section.

It generally only takes a couple of minutes, and I'm best to detangle a few times a day.

This method of mine developed intuitively, not as a 'system' I deliberately created - I just do what feels the gentlest on my hair. As a result it's actually taken me some real thinking and wordsmithing to try to convey the process accurately, haha!

school of fish
February 3rd, 2016, 06:55 PM

Swan Maiden you are indeed NOT alone! Work from the top, work from the bottom, meet in the middle - that's just what do too :) I saw your recent trim post on the microtrimming thread and noticed our textures look quite similar - I suspect this may be a factor as to why it works for us :) Your hair is spectacular by the way!!

Swan Maiden
February 3rd, 2016, 07:10 PM
Thank you :D I detangle the exact same way. I usually pull the whole mess over one shoulder and work on it. No need to section, because as you said cobwebs. Plus my hair has really thinned down the last couple of months. It's interesting that this system developed intuitively for you as well.

purpleelephant
February 3rd, 2016, 11:50 PM
I am a peroxide blonde!! ATM, I'm taking a 6-8month hiatus, but I plan to go back and do a light trim and (carefully!) lighten the roots again. It may sound silly, but I feel more "me" as a blonde. For now, I'm just grateful that ombre is not totally "out" yet (:

llamacat
February 4th, 2016, 01:26 AM
Combing and touching it too often:boohoo:

bunneh.
February 4th, 2016, 05:17 AM
It may sound silly, but I feel more "me" as a blonde.

I support this. I went from blonde (I don't mind admiting it now that I'm not blonde anymore :P) to red because I feel better/more confident this way.

Ellethwyn
February 4th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Blow frying my hair a couple times a week ( at least on warm air, not hot!) and wearing my hair down most of the time.

meteor
February 4th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Thank you so very much, School of fish and Swan Maiden, for the details on detangling! :flowers: That's great stuff! :D So great to know we are sharing the same techniques!
I realized I don't section either... the sectioning process sometimes tangles the hair a bit, so I only section when the hair is already roughly detangled and I'm ready to braid it, so I split it in 3 and might align the strands a bit with a comb, if needed.

I think combing from top down might actually contribute to protecting the ends from excessive mechanical damage from combing: for example, if I start from ends up with, say, 10 strokes, then I've gone over those ends (oldest, most damaged part of the hair) 10 times, but if I start from top down, then I only attack the ends when their turn comes, so maybe 1-2 strokes only. Going top down also helps roughly align the whole mane while detangling, which I think helps the detangling process go smoother, with less resistance. As long as I stop as soon as I encounter a tangle, I think it's fine. :)

Robi-Bird
February 4th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Colouring it. Bleaching a few small strips in the underlayer. Dry brushing.

I brush when I want to bun which will always flatten out the waves but if I don't brush then it does not make a remotely neat bun so I sin regularly.

Arctic
February 4th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I'd love to have an article written on this detangling method ;) And I think Meteor has a bagful of good subjects for many other articles too (hint hint) :) Meteor could even copy paste some of her posts, with very small editing needed!

I'd love to see the article section to be rebuild again, it used to be a real treasure trove. (hint hint again ;))

Swan Maiden
February 4th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Meteor, I never thought about that method as a way to help protect the ends, but it makes sense!

school of fish
February 4th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Thank you so very much, School of fish and Swan Maiden, for the details on detangling! :flowers: That's great stuff! :D So great to know we are sharing the same techniques!
I realized I don't section either... the sectioning process sometimes tangles the hair a bit, so I only section when the hair is already roughly detangled and I'm ready to braid it, so I split it in 3 and might align the strands a bit with a comb, if needed.

I think combing from top down might actually contribute to protecting the ends from excessive mechanical damage from combing: for example, if I start from ends up with, say, 10 strokes, then I've gone over those ends (oldest, most damaged part of the hair) 10 times, but if I start from top down, then I only attack the ends when their turn comes, so maybe 1-2 strokes only. Going top down also helps roughly align the whole mane while detangling, which I think helps the detangling process go smoother, with less resistance. As long as I stop as soon as I encounter a tangle, I think it's fine. :)

Yes, I think you're onto something with that mechanical damage theory! My more fragile ends definitely get dragged through less if I start at the top than at the bottom - I never thought it through that way before but have sensed it intuitively. Totally makes sense. I also have a feeling our textures come into play here as well - we all seem to be in the straight/slightly wavy realm, and I'm guessing slippery even if somewhat tangle-prone?

Maybe we should create a thread for top-down detanglers! I don't want to derail this thread too much and crowd out all the the other hair-sinners! ;)

meteor
February 4th, 2016, 03:12 PM
^ Arctic, you are too kind! :flowers: I think School of fish already described the process really well (would be so awesome in an article :D), but you are right, the Articles section is such a great place, there are some great gems there, but for some reason, I can never search it successfully :( - it's mostly all in the Archives and searching them can be a bit complicated, even via Google (which is the easiest way to search the LHC, I find).

Arctic
February 4th, 2016, 03:17 PM
The article section has been functioning again for some time, but people aren't using it since it was broken for so long. Yes the internet archive where old articles can be viewed is difficult to use, someone should transfer the best ones here to the new arcticle section. I resently did so for 2 oldies but goldies. In other words, old articles can be reposted and new articles can be written and posted, and they would be here, on this site, and not at the internet archives. I'd love to see some of your info in artcile form, it's just too - well, informationy (yes that word now, he he) - to get lost in the depths of threads.

meteor
February 4th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Yes, I think you're onto something with that mechanical damage theory! My more fragile ends definitely get dragged through less if I start at the top than at the bottom - I never thought it through that way before but have sensed it intuitively. Totally makes sense. I also have a feeling our textures come into play here as well - we all seem to be in the straight/slightly wavy realm, and I'm guessing slippery even if somewhat tangle-prone?

Maybe we should create a thread for top-down detanglers! I don't want to derail this thread too much and crowd out all the the other hair-sinners! ;)

Great idea, school of fish! :thumbsup: I'd happily join that thread! :D
I think I kind of "rough down" a rake/comb from roots to mid-sections, and I think I see folks on YouTube do this all the time, even when they say it's important to detangle from ends up. I think it's a pretty natural and intuitive way of detangling.

meteor
February 4th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks a lot, Arctic! And I'd love to see your posts turned into Articles, that's for sure! :agree: They are always super-informative!!
I know I see maybe 10% of the LHC, because it's such a huge place, I've kind of resigned myself to the idea that I am missing majority of new threads and don't even see new articles being posted anywhere... I just try to log onto TLHC more often to read all the great info here, but yeah - structuring Articles section or maybe just increasing their visibility would help many of us. Just to give a quick example, I remember that awesome article by Nightshade on rehabilitating damaged hair and the only way I can ever find it is by searching Nightshade's posts and clicking on her signature. :)

school of fish
February 4th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Okay I'm making dinner right now but I'll start a new thread after dinner :D

I'm sorely tempted to title it like one of those FB clickbait articles - "Detangling from the ends up? You're doing it wrong." But I won't ;)

meteor
February 4th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Okay I'm making dinner right now but I'll start a new thread after dinner :D

I'm sorely tempted to title it like one of those FB clickbait articles - "Detangling from the ends up? You're doing it wrong." But I won't ;)

:spitting: LOL, that would be such an awesome title, school of fish! :lol: :thumbsup:
Yay! Looking forward to it! :D
And have a great dinner! ;)

TheBlondeElvira
February 4th, 2016, 05:47 PM
I flat iron my hair once a month but I use like 3 different heat protectants. I also have a good flat iron so the heat is evenly distubuted so it is not on my hair any longer than necessary. I like to straighten my hair so I can get an accurate gauge if how much it has grown. I have sort of wurly hair and hate attempting to guesstimate the growth by stretching and pulling.

missrandie
February 4th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Forgive me, Hair Gods, for I have sinned...

Yesterday, I cowashed my hair. Then, later in the day, I bought a Tangle Teezer. I wanted to try it out, so I did, and it brought up a few scalp flakeys. Since I bought it for a cowashing tool, I thought, "what the heck!" and cowashed. Again.

Yep, I washed my hair twice in a day. Just to try different conditioner and a Tangle Teezer.
I like it a lot! But twice in a day is a bit much.

Now, my penance is to not do that again. And to quit buying new conditioners until I have used up what I have. which will be a while, considering that I grew my stash by almost double overnight.

curiop
February 4th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I like my showers hot, I'm constantly cold and will do anything to warm myself up. I also use the hairdryer on the cool setting to hurry up drying if I have places to be and it's too wet to just shove in a bun and go.

MeAndTheMaz
February 4th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Clearly, I'm not an original sinner. I've got lot 'o company in my sinning ways. I likes me a nice hot shower in the winter, so if my hair has to suffer a bit for it, so be it. At least it gets a cold AVC rinse after. I can almost hear the cuticles slamming shut. :)

I never bun, or braid, or do any other kind of updo. During the day or to sleep. Cold, dry and windy? :shrug:

I find myself in wonderful company in the form of Swan Maiden, meteor, and school of fish, with the whole detangle from the top down method.

school of fish
February 4th, 2016, 09:53 PM
I've started the top down detangling thread - we may now continue confessing our many hair sins here... ;)

SaraJayne
February 4th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Wearing it down as much as I can get away with.
Sleeping with it down (although I do now have a silk pillow).
Chopping and changing products before I can see properly the impact.
Hot, hot showers.
Over enthusiastic S&D.
:o

meteor
February 5th, 2016, 06:45 AM
I find myself in wonderful company in the form of Swan Maiden, meteor, and school of fish, with the whole detangle from the top down method.

Yay! It looks like there are many of us! :hifive:

I've started the top down detangling thread - we may now continue confessing our many hair sins here... ;)

That's awesome! :D I'll see you and all you other lovely top-down detangling sinners over there! :D

Eastbound&Down
February 5th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I need to add some sins. Hot showers, I do not do cold water at all, the best I can do is a slightly less scalding temperature for my final rinse. My hair doesn't seem to mind, so I don't feel so bad. I also still dry my hair with a regular towel (*shocked gasp*, I know). I don't ruffle it, but I do squeeze and wrap it up in a towel to dry while I get dressed and then I twist it up in a bun until it's mostly dry, it takes forever. I've tried plopping, it just doesn't do it for my hair, I don't know why.

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Oh, I completely forgot to mention that I colour it every month!! Probably my biggest sin, although it really doesn't seem to do any noticeable damage.

*Stella*
February 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM
I forgot about the bleach! I am so used to it that I forgot how much it makes LHCers cringe lol
Haven't seen my natural colour since I was 13, I am 45 now. Currently bleach to lightest blonde so pale enough to dye pastel shades.

ArienEllariel
February 6th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Lack of time spent detangling. That's my biggest one. Or skipping conditioner in the shower. I'm trying to be better about both plus I've started oiling my ends again. I don't know about the rest of you but when I have bad days with depression, my hair ends up losing out.

Jupiter Jones
February 6th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Nowadays, I'm treating my hair better than ever. I'm super gentle and put a lot of effort into its health.

It used to be the complete opposite about 6 or 7 years ago when I was still in high school and despised my naturally curly hair (back then...), wanting nothing more than Avril Lavigne's sk8er girl "mane". Some people may have done much worse things, but for me this really tops everything now and I'm amazed at much I've turned things around since. Keep in mind that I have a blond and naturally thin and fragile hair structure. I'll do a quick run through:

Daily morning routine(!):
- wash and condition with generic big brand products (Herbal Essences, Dove...) many of which, as I know now, contain some quite aggressive silicones/parabens
- comb while wet, sometimes ripping through knots
- straighten without any protection, occasionally leaving the flat iron on a strand for a few seconds
- tease it with a plastic comb and brush
- hairspray the sh*t out of it. I used so incredibly many bottles of hairspray during that time, it's not even funny.
- wonder why at it was greasy as ***** at the end of the day

Again, I did this every day. Back then I also died it funny colors frequently, i.e. blue, pink and purple (with reasonably mild brands like Directions or Manic Panic), which required bleaching it a very light blond a few times.

At least a very useful learning period, haha.

fišrildi
February 6th, 2016, 03:32 PM
I do not detangle as often as I should, and when I do, I am not careful enough.

Jupiter Jones
February 6th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Nowadays, I'm treating my hair better than ever. I'm super gentle and put a lot of effort into its health.

It used to be the complete opposite about 6 or 7 years ago when I was still in high school and despised my naturally curly hair (back then...), wanting nothing more than Avril Lavigne's sk8er girl "mane". Some people may have done much worse things, but for me this really tops everything now and I'm amazed at much I've turned things around since. Keep in mind that I have a blond and naturally thin and fragile hair structure. I'll do a quick run through:

Daily morning routine(!):
- wash and condition with generic big brand products (Herbal Essences, Dove...) many of which, as I know now, contain some quite aggressive silicones/parabens
- comb while wet, sometimes ripping through knots
- straighten without any protection, occasionally leaving the flat iron on a strand for a few seconds
- tease it with a plastic comb and brush
- hairspray the sh*t out of it. I used so incredibly many bottles of hairspray during that time, it's not even funny.
- wonder why at it was greasy as ***** at the end of the day

Again, I did this every day. Back then I also died it funny colors frequently, i.e. blue, pink and purple (with reasonably mild brands like Directions or Manic Panic), which required bleaching it a very light blond a few times.

At least a very useful learning period, haha.

Oops, totally forgot to add what I do now. Sometimes wash it with warm/hot water. I try to go cold as much as I can, but it doesn't always happen. I've always washed all of it, not just the scalp, but I just read about CWC on here, so will try it from now on. Then there's the occasional bobby pin. I love brushing it (with a wooden brush though, hoping that reduces the damage....) And worst of all, I loooove wearing it down. But after all, that's why I want long hair ; )

lithostoic
February 6th, 2016, 08:37 PM
I'm not always careful when I detangle >->

khryz
February 7th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Color and bleach. I love red and pink shades

Lisa-K
February 7th, 2016, 09:41 AM
2 sins here: Hair dye and flat iron.

With some good will, I don't think it will be too hard to ditch the flat iron completely. I haven't used it in months now and I find that my hair is actually looking fine without it. Although as counter-effect, I now blow dry my hair (which I didn't do before). But I figured it's the lesser of two evils, and I noticed my hair looks a lot better when it's blow dried vs. air dried. It's shinier and doesn't get greasy so fast, so I can go 3 days between washes.

The dye is and will remain an issue for a very long time I think. I'm just not ready to stop coloring it.

mermaiden_hair
February 7th, 2016, 10:05 AM
I don't wear it up almost at all, so I need to change that habit if I ever want to see it growing healthy. I even have to force myself to tie it up for bed but I just love smacking my butt into the covers and just snooze away. :D So, I think that's my major hair sin right now.

MsPharaohMoan
February 7th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Slept with my hair loose last night... I remember brief snippets of waking, turning over, being on the fringes of consciousness, and making sure all my hair was out from under me :lol:

FuzzyBlackWaves
February 10th, 2016, 03:17 AM
I don't wear it up very often at all shudder: But I am careful that it doesn't get trapped or crushed or anything.

I also used chemical dyes up until very, very recently. Whoops.

Stray_mind
February 10th, 2016, 05:06 AM
I never have the time nor the patience to cartefully detangle my hair. I just comb it out quickly. I know it causes some breakage, but i still do it.

ArienEllariel
February 10th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I've been sleeping with my hair loose again. Gotta stop that.

reilly0167
February 10th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I tried using herbal rinses/wash like shikakai and aritha for a bit but boy oh boy my hair showed me who's boss, it was not happy, I was not happy and so I went back to what works best for my hair my loreal total repair shampoo and conditioner, which I'm sure it has cones and stuff but its fine by me and my hair. So in a nutshell MY sin is the herbal powders, it just didn't suit my needs.

sarah.j.xx
February 10th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I'm not always gentle on my ends, even though I know they need the most care. >.<

Sweets
February 10th, 2016, 04:21 PM
I shampoo/condition daily, and use hot water. I turn it down to warm when my head is under the shower, but oh well. I also towel it. My hair is brushing my shoulders, so when it gets long enough to pull back, I will stretch my washes - it's just too short right now and looks silly the next day after I've slept on it.

I also use a regular pillowcase. :(

I'm much better than I used to be though, in high school and college. Bleach, hot blowdryer, damaging colors, ponytail almost every day, sun-in, ripping through it with a ball-tipped brush, etc. It's amazing that it stayed as long as it was. This time growing it out virgin has me so excited - I have all the tools I need now!!