PDA

View Full Version : Looped Knot on Strand of Hair - what???

Artisticat
September 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just pulled a tangle out of my hair and saw a perfectly looped knot (about 1/8" loop) in one strand 3-4" from the bottom of the hair. It was not a split end.

Just curious...how on earth does that happen? :confused:

I saved the hair, but I don't think I can take a picture of that fine of detail.

jasper
September 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Elves or fairies.

piffyanne
September 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Do you mean a knot on a single strand? My center for English Communication's malfunctioning today. And it's my native tongue!:rolleyes:

I call them fairy knots. Aren't they adorable? :crush:

Some people use a needlepoint to remove the knot, others snip them off. :twocents:

terylenerose
September 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure. (Yes, jasper, right you are, that's why we call them "fairy knots" it is!) It happens somehow when your hair gets tangles in it that individual strands of hair get knots in them. I think it happens more to curlies.

ETA: piffyanne, I missed your post due to the server being "too busy". :rolleyes: Sorry!
(:mad: It's not letting me edit my post! Why?)

Artisticat
September 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Elves or fairies.

LOVE THIS explanation Jasper! :crush:

Do you mean a knot on a single strand? My center for English Communication's malfunctioning today. And it's my native tongue!:rolleyes:

I call them fairy knots. Aren't they adorable? :crush:

Some people use a needlepoint to remove the knot, others snip them off. :twocents:

Your English is just fine Piffyanne! Adorable? Yes now I can embrace them!:cheese: I don't think I have the patience to unknot them!

I'm not sure. (Yes, jasper, right you are, that's why we call them "fairy knots" it is!) It happens somehow when your hair gets tangles in it that individual strands of hair get knots in them. I think it happens more to curlies.

Thank you Terylenerose...I don't think I'm a curly...definitely a wavy. :eyebrows:

bunnylake
September 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Fairy knots! I get those once in a while. I have no idea how they form. I usually snip them off.

piffyanne
September 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM
There has been speculation on here that the fairyknot is either what STARTS a tangle or the result of a particularly bad mat once it's been unmatted.

I'd NOT leave fairyknots alone if you find them, but either snip them off above the knot or untangle it, if possible.

Just in case they're what cause tangles, which are much WORSE for your hair than the loss of a single strand. :shrug:

ravenreed
September 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I get them a lot more now that my hair is longer. I snip them.

Miss Catrina
September 29th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I've gotten them, and my hair is short and straight. It's amazing how distracting they are, I could somehow feel that one tiny bump every time I ran my hand over my head!

I snip... or pluck out the hair. >_>

Artisticat
September 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you all for your comments! It shows my hair is actually getting longer YEAH!

CurlyCap
September 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Yep. Single strand knot.

It started happening more as my hair got longer, and now I just ignore them. Every few months I go through and cut out the ones I can see, but I don't let it stress me too much.

melusine963
September 30th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I snip mine out. I never have a needle handy to unpick them with. :)

lapushka
September 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM
My theory is that it's an aftereffect from scrunching the hair. At least that goes for my hair.

MrsGuther
September 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Fairy knots!! I don't know how they happen, but I've gotten them a couple times too.